[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Snow Chains and Winter Driving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 2016-01-08 09.35.25.jpg (825KB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-08 09.35.25.jpg
825KB, 1632x918px
So, it's winter here. Due to unforseen circumstances, my winter beater is unavailable to me and my only mode of transportation is my miata.
It has brand new Kumho All-seasons, and an LSD diff, but no actual snow tires. It's done OK in the light snow like pic related if I'm very careful. However, chain laws are in effect in most of the nearby highways, and I live on a hill. I really don't want to end up in a ditch and/or pay a huge fine if we get an actual storm. So, I'm gonna buy some chains and one of those shovels to keep in my trunk. Only problem is that my tires are 205/45r15 on a 15×8 wheel. They're slightly stretched and I'm worried about scratching up my wheels.
I'm also wondering if I should get sandbags. I live in Colorado, and I've always had a decent 4wd vehicle for the winter, so I'm pretty clueless on how to make a miata winter-ready. Any help, /o/?
>>
No one? I figured someone would at least call me a faggot.
>>
How about you just don't drive since you have improper equipment?

Or buy some snow tires.
>>
get some good snow tires of craigslist, but don't but anything more than a year or two old. you can probably get a good set of blizzaks for like $300

you can be a little off with the width and profile sizes, as long as you're not tracking the car they'll be fine

snow chains are alright, but a pain in the ass and generally not necessary if you have snow tires
>>
>>14197228
He could get brand new ones for ~$300
>>
>>14197241
205/45/r15s? those are probably $450 for a set of ws80s on tire rack unless i'm mistaken

but if its only $300 new for that, on CL you could pick up a good set for like $150
>>
>>14197228
>you can probably get a good set of blizzaks for like $300

What sort of logic is that? OP only needs some Winterforces and steel wheels and not nignog it with some chains
>>
>>14197250
>CL you could pick up a good set for like $150

CL is literally the worst place in the world to buy tires from
>>
>>14197261
that could work, i'm not a fan of winterforce, you wont save that much by going winterforce used instead of blizzaks/X-ice used and winterforce is a good deal interior to both
>>
>>14197134

1. If you're gonna get chains, they're gonna fuck up your wheel, esp 15x8 in stock nb wheel wells. You want 14's, something thin like 14x6. Thin tires are better for winter, look it up.

2. If you have no choice but to get chains, get dedicated studded winter tires. Kumho all seasons are good but they're shit compared to ACTUAL studded snow tires. Especially on hills. You can get new snow tires on 14 inch steelies for $500. You don't have $500? Sure you do. If you don't have $500 then you won't have a car because that shit will spin out over the gaurdrail in no time. Buy them.

3. Get 2 40lb bags of kitty litter and 1 over each rear wheel in the trunk. They also come in hand to throw down if you get stuck. Shovel is good. Consider an actual push broom and cut the handle in half. I can move 6 inches of snow in 30 sec, and the tiny brush attached to a scraper will take you 10x that long.

4. Drive careful as fuck. With the above set up you'll be prepared, but you still have to account for the asshats that think that awd is all you need. They will swerve into you and you must avoid them.

5. General maintenance. Fluids, belts, etc. Polish your headlights, you will be using them 24/7. Get the brightest bulb your headlights will handle. Get new wipers.

6. Visibility. You drive a dark car so that's good. I pity the fool who drives a white miata with tan top in the snow. Stick on the biggest brightest antennae topper you can find. Put antler horns on. It's still christmas why you hatin. You look lke an ass but we all do driving miatas anyway. These are low cars and everyone in snow country drives lifted trucks so make sure you let people know you're there.
>>
>>14197268
hence
>only get ones a year or two old
>always inspect them thoroughly before buying
the ws80s on my 540i work great and they were a CL purchase, got them for $300 with 85% tread left, brand new would have been $650 i believe
>>
>>14197250
No I mean winter tires not specifically ws80

They don't make 205-45-15 ws80 anyway
>>
>>14197270
>you wont save that much by going winterforce

The hell are you smoking? Per tire they are twice as expensive. Not only that but they are more 'performance' snow tires and will quickly bald at the end of the season
>>
>>14197277
You can inspect tires through a microscope but the prices are ridiculously expensive
>>
>>14197289
'swhy is said buying USED the price isnt that different
>>
Don't be a moron, just fucking buy snows.
>>
>tfw understeered over a curb on the way out of a roundabout this morning
>>
File: 91IZHOsTSmL._SL1500_.jpg (368KB, 1291x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91IZHOsTSmL._SL1500_.jpg
368KB, 1291x1500px
>>14197134
Rubber chains?
>http://www.amazon.ca/Michelin-9800700-Easy-Composite-Chain/dp/B0053UE0RQ/ref=sr_1_33?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1452276596&sr=1-33

I'm sure you can find cheaper ones somewhere, but that's an example of the fact that they exist from reputable brands.
>>
Op here, the reason I was looking at chains/sandbags is because, while I have the money for snow tires, I didn't want to spend $500 since in that case, I'd be better off getting my truck back on the road.
>>
>>14197410

Miata's with snow tires/chains >>> Old truck with no weight in the back and shit tires

But if you've got a good rig set up and truck experience then go for it. I'd get dedicated snow tires on 14's for the miata though for sure.
>>
>>14197405
Those actually look like they would work without damaging anything. Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>14197410
If you have to do it on the super cheap, get a bunch of sand bags in the trunk and you shouldn't have a problem with snow up to bumper height. Then use the sand when you get stuck on ice. Dunno what your hill is like, but can you keep it salted/sanded yourself?

>>14197432
Old truck with 4x4 and some logs in the back >>>>> miata ever
>>
File: vehicle-traction-plates.jpg (21KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
vehicle-traction-plates.jpg
21KB, 550x550px
>>14197434
There's also these things. Pair for 20 bucks or something I think. I keep them in my trunk all the time (got me unstuck from mud a couple times, though havnt tried them on snow or ice).

Google "traction strips" or "traction plates".
>>
>>14197444

My dad's miata with snow tires can beat up your dad's truck with twigs in the back. Fite me irl 1v1 no items final destination only
>>
File: thanks for help miatabro.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
thanks for help miatabro.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>14197134
>What we doing today pal?
>>
File: 2zao.jpg (174KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
2zao.jpg
174KB, 1280x960px
>>14197468
>not having snow tires + twigs in the back
pleb.
>>
>>14197501

Poor girl. Nothing she coulda done to deserve this.

Is the passenger seat removed to be able to store more? Is this a pack mule miata?
>>
>>14197478
Just going to work (15 miles away) and coming home, hoping nobody hits me.
>>
>>14197214
>Stretched tires

Just like your asshole faggot
>>
>>14197624
Very briefly read the forum it was posted in. No indication as to why they used this instead of a pickup or something, but yes the seat was removed (for another purpose apparently).

Rednecks be redneckkin
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.