[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to use household items as car fuel? Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

File: 1451876092926.jpg (231KB, 1199x760px) Image search: [Google]
1451876092926.jpg
231KB, 1199x760px
Is it possible to use household items as car fuel?

Don't worry I have absolutely no intention of trying something this stupid, but I'm just curious. Say you're in an emergency life-or-death sort of situation and you're low on fuel. Is there anything you can put in your car that would successfully work as fuel short term, even if it permanently fucks it up?
>>
there's some way to make a diesel equivalent out of cooking oil and metho
>>
>>14194139
That sounds interesting. I assume it's a difficult/long process? Do you know if there is anything that can be done relatively fast? Or better yet, just some liquids that you can pour straight in and get some sort of success out of.
>>
>>14194218
You can just put vegetable oil from yer kitchen in a diesel. Only problems long term is fuel gelling and some hoses not being happy about it. Honestly if this is a concern get an older mostly mech diesel and prep it to run on grease. Google grease car and learn all you need to do it reliably with no real risk.
>>
well you can use alcohol, but you need a new fuel system
>>
>>14194275
Well like I said I don't actually plan on doing this, it's more for curiosity's sake. So, hypothetically, if somebody poured vegetable oil in a fuel tank the car could run on it? Without any preparation or modifications beforehand?
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 480x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 480x1500px
>>
>>14194715

In a old fully mechanical diesel, probably. I really doubt it'd work in a modern diesel with all the computers and the high injector pressures.
>>
Look up wood gas.

I've always wondered if you'd be able to make a distillery and run a car off bootleg alcohol as some sort of alternative fuel in a post apocalyptic time.
>>
File: atheist takes picture of dog.jpg (304KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
atheist takes picture of dog.jpg
304KB, 1536x2048px
>>14194736
>>
Put your dick in it
>>
File: dokimayochiki-061280x7w7iu.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dokimayochiki-061280x7w7iu.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
>>14194792
funny story, I've been reading nonstop about wood gas for the last few days. I'm going to try and make a generator this spring; maybe by the end of summer I'll even hook that shit up to a shitbox and rip some wood-powered skidz...
>>
File: 1442887735874.jpg (80KB, 417x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442887735874.jpg
80KB, 417x600px
ITT: anons telling OP to put straight cooking oil in a diesel
there's a reason you need a several thousand dollar pressurized SVO system to use straight plant based oils. This ain't the 1950s.

Or you could just use kerosene and some 2-stoke oil (or yes, use cooking oil and cut it with kerosene) and not worry about a single thing.
>inb4 u fukn amish nobody uses lanterns anymore

>>14194287
>only guy that got it right for ICEs
would have to be something like 190 proof and power output would be terrible
>>
>>14194792
Discovery had a hatfield mccoy show with the modern descendants. Completely shit program but they had one episode where they ran e85 tuned big block drag cars on moonshine. Neither got down the track. But i suppose if you're booze is pure enough and your tune is dead accurate, nothing is impossible.
>>
>>14195844
I'm talking hypothetical emergency situation conditions here. Not long-term "I want to make my car run on something else" plans.

Say you have fifteen minutes to refuel your car from household/regular stuff or you're going to die. Can it be done?
>>
File: 1443751514296.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1443751514296.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>14195872
>you have fifteen minutes to start your stock car while fucking it up
>errybody ded unless diesel or moonshine state
simple enough?

*cooking oil will eventually gum up a diesel filter and probably the injectors
*alcohol will corrode the fuel system of a car and possibly start a fire

they will work temporarily for an indeterminate time and in an emergency situation that's bad. i'd rather use my lawnmower gas to get a head start away from danger, aka the bombs, and become a mad max character, stealing fuel from terrified families in minivans and ripping spare parts off stranded and abandoned cars that poured bacardi 151 into the tanks because they didn't think to keep a sealed liter of fuel in the boot.
>can't fucking wait, plebs like you are ded

>ITT:
>what is keeping emergency fuel?
>what is a fuel siphon?
>I don't want to be prepared, I want life hacks!
>>
>>14193972
You can use lamp oil/kerosene, mineral oil, and clean engine oil if you had a diesel.
>>
Yes, ordinary household gasoline.
>>
>>14195935
So vegetable oil could get you driving for a few minutes?
>>
> runaway diesels

Some diesels can run on their own oil so...
>>
>>14196183
Look up waste vegetable oil. You can adapt your diesel to run on veggie oil, it is a lot more finicky than diesel. It has a following, if you put in the effort it was cheaper than diesel at one point. You can drove around to different restaurants and ask if they'd give you their old deep fry oil.
>>
Anybody remember that one African country that got cut off from trade in the 90's and powered all their military diesels with sunflower oil for awhile? This thread reminded me of that. Well, and coal gassification like the Germans did in WWII when they couldn't get enough oil.
>>
>>14193972
For gas/petrol engines your best bet would be ethanol

It would probably run like shit and fuck some components up, but this is life-or-death
>>
>>14196296
You have to process it heavily before you can actually put it in your car, so most of the cost is setting up a biodiesel manufacturing system in your garage.
>>
Many homes in India have in home bio-gas plants that uses biodegradable waste like from the toilet, animal stalls and garden/farm waste. It ferments into a propane like gas that they use to power their homes, cook and in some cases power their cars. Its usually set up as a dual fuel with regular gas and propane tank bolted down in the trunk.
http://www.nathmotors.com/biogas-types.html
>>
>>14195935
Lol except gas shelf life is shitty
>>
Natural Gas
>>
File: elf.jpg (62KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
elf.jpg
62KB, 300x300px
dad run his mitsu triton on filtered cooking oil for like a week, so I guess the answer is "yea, kinda, but not worth it".
>>
>>14193972
I remember watching a programme about some islanders with one pickup truck that they ran (and lubricated) using oils and fats from plants and animals.
They'd been doing it for about 20 years without a problem.
You can run a spark ignition car on natural gas but you need a compressor which cost thousands (though you could probably rig something semi legal up for a lot less).
Also it affects durability and power a lot
>>
>>14194782
>>14194139
>>14194275
oh shit I'm dumb >>14198832
please do allow my anecdotal reference as a backing up these guys' words.
>>
>>14193972
In an emergency you can fuel your car with ordinary off the shelf gasoline!
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.