[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been checking car dealers and they offer you a lot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 2014-Ford-Fiesta-ST-engine.jpg (2MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
2014-Ford-Fiesta-ST-engine.jpg
2MB, 2048x1360px
I've been checking car dealers and they offer you a lot of turbo cars, specially VW, so far all I've grasped is that they give you good engine acceleration and HP and save gasoline compared to v6 and v8

Are Turbo charged cars reliable, what are some common problems?
Do they increase torque?
Should I care since I plan on using it for daily 2 hour trips to my town school?
Which turbo charged cars consume more fuel rather than saving?

Pic Related it's fiesta St Turbo charged
>>
>>14193100
google.com
>>
> asks about VW
> posts a Ford

Turbo engines are absolutely more complex and less reliable than naturally aspirated engines but they give back to you in terms of performance for MPGs and they also weigh less than an NA engine rated for similar horsepower. There's a whole additional engine component (the turbo charger) that suffers mechanical wear and needs lubricant to be delivered to it plus the actual engine runs at much higher RPMs with higher compression and more heat so everything needs to be in top shape or something will pop.

I have a VW 1.8t engine in the Passat the wife drives and it's really a good engine as far as performance and economy go but there's a big caveat. VW did not mandate synthetic oil in them (just do yourself a favor and use fully synthetic oil in any turbo engine). Because of this a LOT of VW 1.8t engines broke down the dinosaur oil that has been put in them and turned it to sludge that stays in the engine and is just waiting to cause all kinds of problems. Even though her engine passed the normal sludge tests I'm pretty sure it has some in the oil return line for the turbo because sometimes oil just disappears from her pan and later reappears. She also had a problem where her catalytic converter got clogged and blew right off her manifold (stupid things are right next to the engine on that car) and I believe it was because of there being too much oil in the pan because of this mysterious issue I'm only speculating is in the turbo oil return line.

Neither of my American made v8s have anything remotely similar to these type of problems but they cost like $10 more every time I fill them up even at the cheap gas prices.
>>
>>14193100

It varies. Older turbocharged engines even in their era tended to fail often if strict maintenance and driving discipline was not followed. Nowadays many of those issues have been mitigated somewhat by mandating specific oils, implementing more systems to manage wear and prevent sludge buildup, etc. but it still does not change the fact that turbocharged engines require more attention to keep them running.

You won't make up much difference in fuel economy since most require premium fuel where their NA counterpart would run on piss grade 87. You need to drive them harder to get the most out of the turbo, even with smaller turbines. Rather, you are buying a turbocharged car if you want a little more power with somewhat increased efficiency to improve day to day costs but aren't as concerned about mid to long term costs of ownership when the expensive maintenance starts to come up.

Buying used turbo cars is also sketchy unless you can be assured the previous owner(s) did all the right things to keep the car in good shape. My Jetta with its 2.0 TFSI engine I bought used, but only because it had one prior owner and they had all the service records to show they took care of it.

If you can't afford the premiums attached to purchasing something turbocharged, then look elsewhere.
>>
>>14193100
>fiesta St Turbo charged
I smoked one of these today in my 20 year old NA hatch
>>
Can be perfectly reliable, they are more stringent with service requirements. No skipping oil changes, etc.

Turbocharged cars will behave like a naturally aspirated vehicle until they begin building boost. I wouldn't go into the purchase of one without thurough and careful research in general and specific to the vehicle you are looking at.
>>
File: mpgs may surprise you.png (60KB, 706x391px) Image search: [Google]
mpgs may surprise you.png
60KB, 706x391px
>>14193100
Any time a turbo car is making boost it's using considerably more fuel than an N/A engine. The Ecoboost Mustang hardly betters the '11-'14 V6 Mustang in fuel economy numbers with half the displacment and similar output levels for example.

Another thing is with all of these manufacturers moving to smaller, more high strung engines. It necessitates the need to use boost more often to keep the same pace which kill the mpgs.

>'11-'14 Mustang V6
>19/31

>'15+ Mustang Ecoboost
>22/31
>>
>>14193388
They make 190 horse at the crank.
>>
It's also beneficial to get a tune, as the base tunes in turbocharged vehicles are often shit. A tune can increase power output as well as fuel economy, as long as it's done by a professional it can be equally as reliable. Obviously don't do this if the vehicle has a warranty.
>>
>>14193438
Well that certainly explains the disappointment. I thought they were supposed to be fast what a joke.
>>
>>14193388
>>14193476
What do you drive?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.