[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Half of Canadian soldiers faced childhood abuse, study indicates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

>About half of Canada's soldiers have a history of child abuse and/or exposure to it, which is significantly higher than for the general population, indicates a new study led by a Manitoba researcher.

>"We thought it was really an important finding," says Tracie Afifi, associate professor in the department of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and lead author of the research released Wednesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Psychiatry.

>Any child abuse exposure was higher with members of the regular forces (47.7 per cent) and even higher among reservists (49.4 per cent).

>Adults who were abused as children make up 33.1 per cent in the general population, according to the study, which also involved the Canadian Forces Health Services Group Headquarters in Ottawa and the University of Ottawa.

>The researchers note that child abuse exposure can take many forms, including physical abuse, sexual abuse "and exposure to intimate partner violence, and deployment-related trauma."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/child-abuse-military-1.3421708
>>
>>19779
:L
>>
>>19779
every time theres a statistic about this they always have super relaxed terms for what counts as abuse and lump it together with the harsh stuff in one %.
>1/3 women have been raped or sexually abused.
because they put unwanted looks in the same statistic as rape.
This may just be the same thing.
>>
>>19836
Exactly what I was thinking.

>general population: 33% were abused
>military population: 47-49% were abused

That's absurdly high. I bet "my mom didn't let me play Playstation when I should have been studying" counts as abuse in Canada.
>>
>>19839
>in Canada

Not just Canada, bud.

In fact, the guy you're replying to is referring to an American born issue: that rape statistic.

If people can say that their bump on the knee is assault or abuse or rape, they will; it makes them think they seem hard, I guess.
>>
>>19836
I've heard several feminists give a statistic that worldwide, 1 in 3 women face some form of violence in their life.

but probably 99% of men face "some" kind of violence. Of course they never gather statistics on that because it would undermine their narrative

Also with rape statistics they get even sneakier. They say "1 in 5 women has been raped and 1 in 71 men has been raped" as a way to pretend they care about men, but that male rape victims are so rare. But the rape statistics feminists use only include rapes where the *victim* was penetrated. They use a relaxed definition of "rape" so basically a drunk woman who has sex was raped, but that would inflate the men's number too so they just don't call it rape unless the victim is penetrated. I.e., a man can only be raped if he's sodomized
>>
>>19855
1 in 71 is not rare, that's huge. That's fucking Huge. If there was a 1 in 71 chance you would die from anything, people would go ballistic. That's about 1.4%.
>>
>>19779
Either a provincial or federal government here is trying to make spanking count as child abuse. Their terms of what qualify are iffy to start with.

CBC also isn't the kind of website I'd trust with stories like this. They're obsessed with victimization.
>>
>>19850
And here I was being beaten senseless every day by a controlling step father while mother stood by apologiesing and watching.
I left home when I was 13 and never played the abuse card.....
Then again, I did join the Australian army for many years.
>>
>>19875
>CVDs are the number 1 cause of death globally: more people die annually from CVDs than from any other cause.

Are you going ballistic about Cardiovascular Diesease?
>>
>>20013
You're another end of the spectrum.

That's the thing about Humans: Things are seldom one way.

Just because some abuse a system, doesn't mean everyone dies.
>>
>>20027
CVD hurts less
>>
>>19967

Spanking *is* child abuse. Medical organizations generally agree on this, unless maybe those that have fundamentalist-religious leanings. Corporal punishment has already been outlawed by a number of developed countries.

>victimization

The reason studies surrounding corporal punishment have come to light is because of all the correlating factors with children becoming prone to substance abuse, becoming involved with crime, struggling with depression or anxiety, or repeating the cycle of abuse against their own spouses or children.

Honestly, if you feel you need to hit your children, then you've already failed as a parent. There are ways to deal with a child's destructive behavior without damaging their mental health beyond all repair.
>>
>>19779
>Adults who were abused as children make up 33.1 per cent in the general population
Jesus Christ, what? 1 in 3 people?

Where is this number coming from?
>>
>>19779
he came to a sudden stop

>lepunspic.jpg
>>
>>20102
>Honestly, if you feel you need to hit your children, then you've already failed as a parent.
If you hit them you've failed, not if you feel like doing it.

>There are ways to deal with a child's destructive behavior without damaging their mental health beyond all repair.
And spanking them is not damaging them beyond all repair. Doing >>20013 might damage them beyond all repair. Spanking their butt once will not mentally traumatize them for life.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.