[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hundreds of Walmarts to close down

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

Is this supposed to be a bad thing?
>inb4 muh economy

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WAL_MART_STORE_CLOSURES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-15-09-18-12
>>
Probably the start of a depression.

Whatever, go buy some guns, ammo and food.
>>
>>17229
They're closing 269 stores and opening 300.

Basically they're revamping their shopping buildings. It's less expensive to demolish and rebuild than it is to completely overhaul an already standing structure.
>>
>>17232
this, plus they're just getting rid of express stores and the like, getting rid of redundancy
>as well as abandoning Oakland
>>
>>17231
What if there are no guns available to me...? Should I trick my neighbor into loaning me his gun thinking he'll be getting it back; little does he know the Apocalypse is about to befall us?!?
>>
ragnarock is coming brothers
>>
>>17232
>It's less expensive to demolish and rebuild than it is to completely overhaul an already standing structure.

What kind of retarded society have we created?
>>
>>17260
As is the custom in vast swaths of American suburbia, they make the buildings so shoddily and out of cheap materials that they fall apart in 30-50 years regardless of occupation.
>>
This is a blessing in disguise. If Wal-marts close down it will mean more money to local businesses which in turn means more money for the local economy. Whatever they can't get in town they can just order online anyway.
>>
>>17231
Many of the stores closing are in Latin America.

Also, fuck the fact that Walmart's well being should denote the status of our economy. Walmart is a the closest thing to a monopoly and their destruction would only help the economy thrive IMO.
>>
>Walmart raises min wage to $10 an hour
>People surprised when they close down
>>
Walmart express stores are the ones that are closing, and some in south america

In Michigan where I'm from, only one store is closing.

Businesses have to close what's not working for them.. This is a normal part of the process.
>>
Killed by Amazon
>>
>>17237
>What if there are no guns available to me...?
Then you're a fucking moron.
>>
Amazon is the bigger monster now
>>
one store in Las Vegas is closing, and it's the one my wife works at. she got notice yesterday morning that it's closing tomorrow, so two days notice. hopefully she gets a transfer to another Wal-Mart or the nearby Sam's Club.
>>
>>17293
Yes, Amazon is now the future of monopolies, which results in even less jobs. Congratulations, your bitter hatred for free market is unquenchable.
>>
>>17511
Relax Cletuses, I'm sure you can get your bullits and nascar hats from Amazon.
>>
>>17486
>two days notice
That's pretty fucking shitty behavior considering the closure will have been in the works for some time.
>>
Stop shopping at Walmart if you don't want them to be around. Even if everyone of people shopped there only rarely, out of convenience, you'd still have packed stores. Go figure, right?

I am disgusted at how many people shamelessly eat McDonald's and go to Walmart. You can place a McDonald's next to a place that sells real burgers (and many do) and Walmarts next to Krogers or whatever, and you will still have people go there out of brand loyalty or they will use the "convenience" excuse.
>>
Most of those stores are Express, an experiment into smaller shopping areas. Walmart isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>17579
WinCo is the master race grocery store. It's open 24 hours, has a better selection than Walmart, and is cheaper.
>>
ICA is the best store.
>>
>>17582
Cheaper than walmart? That would mean that everything is free.
>>
>>17229
>Is this supposed to be a bad thing?
Yes but since you're a giant faggot and like most people have never taken an economics course a day in your life nor do you understand the subject it will mean little to you
>>
>>17632

Most generic brands are the same, Walmart just markets the hell out of theirs. I seriously believe the reason people go to the Walmarts and McDonald's out there is out of ignorance, even if they claim "oh I love Big Macs even though the place next door is the same price, more food, and is fresher". No one seriously believes that when you include that context, the problem is they don't think of context. They don't think of any place nearby, they think "I've been here time and time again and I like the price and it works for me" and they don't branch their tastes out. Walmart loves these people.
>>
>>17673

You're accusing OP of never taking an economics course while giving nothing to counter anything said and no attempt to validate anything you said. What's the point of this? OP is going to leave with no new information from you, that's for sure, but at least he knows you're right and he's wrong (without the information to prove it). This isn't the right board for you, by the way, there's a pink one somewhere that will welcome you.
>>
>>17340
If it's such a shitty business that it closes without the corporate welfare of the government subsidizing their low-wages with welfare for their below-poverty-rate employees then they're the sort of parasitic leach on the economy that deserves to close.
>>
>>17679
In my town, there are three places to buy groceries, a Walmart, a Safeway, and a shitty IGA. If I wanted to buy a can of name brand chicken noodle soup, Walmart has the lowest price. If I wanted to buy store brand, walmart has the lowest price.

The Safeway is expensive but they have one thing I can't find at the other stores.

The IGA is run by someone who is trying to kill the store, everything is overpriced and the managers are all pricks.

Walmart is easily the cheapest and best place for me to get the things I want. When you are living on a budget, its hard to justify paying $1 extra on the same exact product.
>>
>>17696
Low prices, low wages, low profits, MASSIVE VOLUME. It's how they stay afloat and changing one changes them all. Higher forced payments cut into everything else and can kill a business.

Take your lack of knowledge elsewhere.
>>
The only wal-mart in my city is closing down. It's accessible by public transportation and pretty much the only reliable place to buy electronics since the Best Buy downtown got closed. Sigh.
>>
>>17811
buy online like everyone else does.
>>
>>17839
This. Its the future. The customer will stop visiting the warehouses to buy goods; the goods will come to them from the warehouses. Just a few taps on your pcb and glass and boom. New pants. How great.
>>
>>17486
For some reason this made me really sad. Especially after seeing the date.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.