[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan agrees to formally apologize to South Korea for WWII sex slaves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

" TOKYO — Japan and South Korea said Monday they had “finally and irreversibly” resolved a dispute over wartime sex slaves that has bedeviled relations between the two countries for decades.

In something of a surprise development, the two countries’ foreign ministers met in Seoul to finalize a deal that will see Japan put $8.3 million into a South Korean fund to support the 46 surviving “comfort women” and to help them recover their “honor and dignity” and heal their “psychological wounds.”

The move was welcomed in Washington, which has been both concerned and annoyed by the fighting between its two closest allies in Asia. This year marks seven decades since the end of World War II and the end of the Japanese occupation of the Korean peninsula.

Independent historians have concluded that as many as 200,000 women and girls — from occupied countries including Korea, China, the Philippines and other Southeast Asian nations — were coerced by the Japanese Imperial Army to work as sex slaves during the war.

“We made a final and irreversible solution at this 70th anniversary milestone,” Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe told reporters in Tokyo after speaking to his South Korean counterpart, President Park Geun-hye, on the phone."

Continues here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/south-korea-japan-reach-settlement-on-wartime-korean-sex-slaves/2015/12/28/e0578237-0a00-4f10-8491-1d85e72890b3_story.html
>>
So what do you guys expect this entails down the line? Closer ties economically and militarily? They have pretty similar interests, I think, and they both want to curb growing Chinese dominance. I think recent incursions into their territories is what spurred this agreement: Japan finally decided grandstanding wasn't worth it.

The only standing issue I can think of is that one island between SK and Japan, but I imagine that issue isn't that big and that they have other things they'd benefit from dealing with together, that have much more serious implications.
>>
>>12221
I would hope Japan is prepared to back down from Dokdo with the Koreans agreeing to some sort of sharing of mineral rights, and support for Japan's Senkaku claims. If the rest of Asia wants to keep China in check, there needs to be much closer ties and cooperation than there is now.
>>
They know that North Korea is starting to get troublesome so they're smoothing out ties with allies.
>>
>>12239
I don't think this has much to do with North Korea. They were way more active decades ago when they were kidnapping people from Japan and SK.
>>
>$8.3 million into a South Korean fund to support the 46 surviving "comfort women"

Talk about fucking overkill
>>
>>12221
Dokdonunuriddang!
>>
You think they'll ever apologize for Nanjing?
>>
>>12219
Finally, they'll shut up now.
>>
>>12894
For now I don't think so. To me they did this in order to get the massive hurdle between Japan and forming a strong relationship with SK.

They'll probably apologise to the other countries affected by Japan before apologising for their actions in China.

Or perhaps they will issue a general apology for what they did during WW2. (This will probably be criticised as the countries(mainly China) will claim that it is insincere as it isn't done specifically to each country).
>>
>Japan uses people of a different race as sex slaves and doesn't apologize for 60 years
>no one cares
>Israel kills Palestinian terrorist who attacks women and children civilians
>everyone losses their minds about apartheid and race war
>>
>>14475
Good point>>12805
"Dokdo is our land! "
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.