[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intergalactic "Rail" Travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

Phew, it has been quite a while since I have been here.

Not even sure if such a thing would even fall under here or within /a/, as it does originate from an anime.

Anyway, after deciding to rewatch a few old shows of my "childhood", I came across an old favorite of mine called "The Galaxy Railways".

Basically its about flying trains that can travel into space and whatnot. I could go more into detail, but who the hell wants to listen to that shit?

So I'll just get to the point.

Is it possible, that in the far, far future, that such a thing would actually be possible for rail machinery/infrastructure to be able to escape the ever bounding limits of the planet and venture into the depths of space?

[[ Either Japan or the entirety of Europe be be the first to initiate such a project. Calling it right now. ]]

[[ Pic Related ]]
>>
File: 999Real.jpg (28KB, 450x302px) Image search: [Google]
999Real.jpg
28KB, 450x302px
No. The trains in GE999 were figurative devices to begin with, and the Galaxy Railways spinoff that takes them somewhat more seriously as technology is completely absurd - the whole point of rails is to distribute heavy loads, sp there would be no advantage to rails in a zero gravity environment, and in practice would needlessly complicate space travel.

The 999 TV series is still one of the best anime ever made.
>>
>>917907

Eh, I figured the same as well once I thought over it for a while.

No reason to blow off presumably trillions of dollars on something that will render as quite ineffective in modern times.

Still though, you have to admit it would seem rather cool to see those mile long American freight consists speed throughout the skies , hauled by dual ES44AC Road Switchers or ||>Insert popular locomotive here<|| whatnot.

But yeah.

GE999 rules over all.
>>
What might work are some kind of space tugboats or pushers.
>>
File: Eugene Oregon.webm (2MB, 634x424px) Image search: [Google]
Eugene Oregon.webm
2MB, 634x424px
>>917901
Prismatic railroad switching station when
>>
>>917901
>Is it possible, that in the far, far future, that such a thing would actually be possible for rail machinery/infrastructure to be able to escape the ever bounding limits of the planet and venture into the depths of space?
You should check out the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton. It describes about the only way that it makes any sort of sense at all.
Or, for something thought to be more practical, look up what a Space Elevator is, and it's almost a railway to orbit.
>>
File: more_truckers.jpg (40KB, 430x247px) Image search: [Google]
more_truckers.jpg
40KB, 430x247px
Space Truckers. Still kind of absurd, but still a fun idea.
>>
>>918334
I used to always wonder "what the fuck kind of society needs that much cargo shipped from one planet to the other?" and then I remembered that container ships exist. Now I just kind of laugh because of the physics behind it.

>>917901
>is it possible
no. physics deem it impossible.
>>
Hyperspace pylons
>>
File: FUTURAMA.jpg (81KB, 760x500px) Image search: [Google]
FUTURAMA.jpg
81KB, 760x500px
>>917942
That's awesome! I knew I recognized that animation style. Love that show. One of the writers must be a foamer to put effort into the names like that.

What episode is that btw?
>>
>>918075
Seconded. Just finished the first book, Pandora's Star. Planets connected by rail lines running thru ground-level wormholes. So, you board the express in Los Angeles, and a few hours later, after passing thru several gateways, you're dozens of light-years away.
>>
>>919987
Bumping for this pls
>>
>>919987
>>920127

The 30% Iron Chef
>>
>>920129
Thanks
>>
Well OP the short answer is no, as others have said. That being said, a "launch loop" is a very promising concept that basically consists of a long rail / accelerator in the upper atmosphere that launches cargo into space. Another thing to consider is that high speed rail will almost certainly be the transportation of choice for connecting colonies on Mars, or wherever else we end up.
>>
>>920145
What am I looking at in this pic?
>>
>>920249

Apparently it is called the "Eye of Suaron".
>>
>>4126949
First exoplanet to be directly observed, center is the star
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.