[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: HHP-8.jpg (444KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
HHP-8.jpg
444KB, 1800x1200px
What happened?
>>
Murrikan "Not invented here"ism happend.
>>
The government thought if it has the sloped front it goes fast.
>>
>>912713
They were an afterthought thrown into the Acela contract.
>>
What a dud. Has Amtrak learned anything from this?
>>
>>912713
Cheap airfares.
>>
>>912927
We're talking about the locomotive tard. The NEC does quite a bit better than it's competition and is actually making a profit now.
>>
>>912942
Then don't ask an extremely general question you dumb fucking nigger.
>>
>>912905
They did. The ACS-64 is much more successful, it had the typical new unit teething problems, but its reliability is so good its going to replace all the HHP-8s (which were kept for the LD trains to New York), and the entire AEM-7 group. So the NEC electric motor stock in 2026 or so will be all ACS-64 and ALP-64s.
>>
>>912965
>ALP-64
wut
Do you mean ALP-46's? Those are used by NJT and as far as I know Amtrak is does not have any plans to order Bombardier locomotives.
>>
>>912971
On top of that Amtrak has no plans to scrap the Toasters that were converted to AC a while back. The DC units are going to be transformed into cab cars though.
>>
>>912976
Thought MARC or something would get the toasters.
>>
>>912971
Yes, those are the only electric units period between njt and Amtrak. Marc is betting on the 125mph diesels being fast enough and diesel being cheap enough that they don't have to pay for Amtrak priced electricity which is non trivial
>>
>>912976
Good, the Vermonter needs its own dedicated cab car and that would be useful for that line.
>>
>>912713
If you are wondering what physically happened to them, all 15 of Amtrak's units are in storage. No indication whether Amtrak is going to scrap them, or try to sell them. Although, honestly. I think that they should just scrap them no one's going to want to buy them.

If you're wondering why they were taken off the rails so fast, there were a lot of defects on them, making it much more economical to just run the AEM-7's instead, and wait for the ACS-64's.

If you're wondering why they were bought in the first place, see >>912778 .
>>
>>913502

Pretty sure Amtrak isn't allowed to sell equipment for liability issues.
>>
>>913502
New units about to be scrapped due to defects? That is terrible. Surely the company who built them is responsible and not the government operator?
>>
>>913502
not true. The HHP-8s were supposed to replace the E-60s for their one NEC role, as a super heavy high speed motor for the long distance trains (The Silver Services, New Orleans etc), but they were such a shitshow that they didn't get used for that. So with the Cities Sprinter able to replace all of Amtrak's electric power, its going to replace the HHP-8s first, then the rest of the AEM-7s and provide room for expansions.
>>
>>913657
If I remember correctly, they sold a lot of their F40PH fleet when the Genesis came in.
>>
File: 9310.1447643956.jpg (237KB, 1024x788px) Image search: [Google]
9310.1447643956.jpg
237KB, 1024x788px
>>916446
A lot of the commuter F40PHs are ex Amtrak units, and a lot of the good but shitty engine F40PHs became cab cars
>>
>>916455
Or cabbage cars, as the one in your pic is.
>>
>>912713
nou
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.