[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BQG - Bike Question General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 47

File: blag.jpg (194KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
blag.jpg
194KB, 600x450px
Old one maxed

I want a non-carbon road bike. How concerned about rusting a steel frame do I have to be if I want to wash it with a hose in my yard and stuff? I'm considering getting a stainless steel or titanium frame as I'm worried about corrosion.
>>
>>912069
Corrosion happens when water sits in contact with steel for a long time, much quicker if there's salt dissolved in the water - so washing a steel frame with water is fine as long as it can dry completely after cleaning, and you avoid spraying water into the frame where it can be trapped and form a permanent pool. If you live near an ocean, or somewhere where salt is regularly applied to the roads, you can still use an ordinary steel frame, but in that case it's a good idea to use a rust inhibitor (framesaver) inside the frame and routinely check that your exterior coating (paint/powdercoat) is in good condition.
>>
>>912069
why not aluminium?
>>
File: 1341587408427.jpg (38KB, 391x576px) Image search: [Google]
1341587408427.jpg
38KB, 391x576px
hey guys,

this is not a bike question in general, but I didn't want to start a own thread.
I really like to build bikes.
I kind of can't stop myselfe from doing it.
what's the best way to turn this into a sort of side buissness.
where is a good place to sell custom bikes and such ?
>>
>>912102
Buy used components, bikes for cheap, repair, setup nicely, sell for used price+working time.

Offer service/inspection for cyclists.

If you're a decent rider you could think about venturing into rider positioning, personal training too.

Try craigslist, ebay and specialized cycling forums (BUY/SALE threads).
>>
>>912104

thanks for the input.

I actually do what you mentioned above , but I feel like ebay isn't really a good place for this.
craigslist isn't really a thing where I'm from , I should check some forums.
>>
>>912096
Aluminium corrodes. It doesn't rust but it still subject to corrosion.
>>
>>912118

I know.

Stainless steel corrodes too, but slower, and technically even titanium corrodes, but again not like the way steel rusts. My point still stands, aluminium meets the criteria in OPs question, it's non-carbon and you won't need to worry about rust, plus its about 100x easier to find than a stainless or titanium bike.
>>
HEY OP YOU KNOW WHAT DOESN'T CORRODE?
>>
Hey everyone. I learned how to ride a bike as a kid, but eventually became uninterested in them.

As a result, I haven't owned one for more than a decade.

My question is: what bicycle would you recommend to an absolute beginner?
>>
>>912128
Do you have a purpose in mind?

Are you already fit and flexible?

Do you have a lot of money to throw around or are you on a tight budget?
>>
>>912129
Purpose? Just general transportation around the city. There are a few inclined bits, but not too many.

Fit and flexible? Yes. I exercise daily and eat healthy. No health conditions that could be an issue to riding.

Money? Well, I'm not exactly on a tight budget, but considering I want to test the waters and see if I enjoy biking, it'd be best if you could recommend one with a reasonable price. In other words, no cheap shit, but no astronomically expensive bikes, either. Price range from 200 to 400 USD, maybe.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>912130
I was going to suggest taking this to the bike buy thread... but that seems to have fallen off the board.

That said, that budget is firmly in second hand territory. Your local craigslist/gumtree is going to the be the way to go. If you post that and your height we can help pick some potential rides.
>>
>>912131
I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, so the local craigslist/similar websites aren't that active - I couldn't find a single bike for sale upon quick inspection.

As for height, I stand at 183cm or 6ft.

Maybe if you can just suggest a model I can find it on online stores that either ship to or are located in Brazil.
>>
>>912108
Depending where you live there are for sure classifieds in some sort or another.

Also there's a chance you could do financially well dwelving into kids bikes. Children here are getting their bike driving licence at around age 11 and while often parents are happy to buy new, the used market could definitively be an opportunity.

One problem I see with this kind of aficionado sort of work is that there are loads of people who do the same thing just as cheaply in a more professional environment (LBS) or as a part of a bigger corporation (think Fuji) working with non-used parts.

..just taking shots here.. and I'm relatively new to this cycling thing.
>>
>>912096
Aluminum also doesn't address all of the concerns I have with buying a carbon frame, specifically repairability.
>>
>>912123
Niobium?
>>
Does anyone have any experience with a Giant cadex cfr I'm sourcing one for a build but idk about the reliability it being lugged alu carbon I've had a trek 2100 lugged Carbon alu but considering there are more carbon joints on the Giant I'm curious if anyone has strong opinions one way or the other
>>
>>912179
My 2 cents is that when you need to fix, it is time to replace.

One of the reasons I don't buy Carbon is when you crash, it grinds, splinters, and cracks. Aluminum is more impact resistant.

When you have to repair, its usually time to replace. A new frame is not that expensive compared to a tig weld or sending to have carbon glued. 200$ repair vs 5-700 for a decent frame.
>>
Rollers or resistance trainers for a beginner?
>>
>>912179
Carbon is easier to repair than aluminum though? You can just buy a carbon repair kit, you don't even need a welder.

>>912184
If a carbon frame splinters and cracks, an aluminum frame would be bent and unusable for the same crash.
>>
File: 51vixYFRXOL[1].jpg (32KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
51vixYFRXOL[1].jpg
32KB, 500x499px
Can I replace my 4650 50t tiagra chainring with anything other than the exact same part?

What i'm saying is Id like to use a 5750 50t chainring, it seems to be exactly the same (110 bcd, 10speed, etc.). Will the 'ramps' or whatever voodoo shifting magic be compatible with my 4600 derailleur?
>>
>>912219
Rollers are vastly better to train on. They help improve your balance and pedaling skills, and they don't put as much stress on your bike as a trainer does. The downside is that they are harder to use than a trainer or even normal riding. You'll probably fall a few times.

Trainers are okay, much easier to use, but it always feels like I'm doing junk miles on mine.

If I had the space, I'd get a good stationary bike like what they use in spinning classes.
>>
Not so much a buying question, but is this a reasonable price? Seems low to me...
>https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/bik/5390921953.html
>>
>>912229
It's overpriced, if anything. That's the 2007 model, and it originally came with a better groupset (10sp 105), wheels (Mavic Aksium...never heard of Kult), and just about everything.
>>
File: 41h8g1uxEZL._SY355_.jpg (12KB, 243x355px) Image search: [Google]
41h8g1uxEZL._SY355_.jpg
12KB, 243x355px
I'm putting 700c wheels on an old 27" frame. Anyone have experience with shimano long reach brakes? Also what tire width can these brakes take?
>>
>>912226
Yes. Shimano has codes like 50-F that determine where the reference point for shift ramps will be. The shift ramps won't be the same, but it will be in the proper orientation. An F type 34t will have the teeth in the same place, so they can design a F type 50t based on knowing where the 34 teeth should be. If you are mixing and matching small rings, like using a 34t FSA, you should see which of the 5 orientations is closest to the original set up, not the FSA orientation. The big ring should always be placed in the proper orientation because it has the chain catcher pin.
>>
>>912228
>If I had the space, I'd get a good stationary bike like what they use in spinning classes.
This desu, unless you're doing rolled because you're snowed in. Spin bike doesn't put wear on your bike and lets you watch TV and shit more easily.
>>
I have a left over 100$ gift card to the American Dicks Sporting Goods department store, and was wondering what you would blow it on cycling wise if you were in my shoes. I can't be fucked to look through the catalog right now, but only wanted some input as to some suggestions I could use. Anything good I can get, besides a *bike*?
>>
please tell someone who does not give a shit about cycling or biking or w/e you call it, what bike to buy to ride a short distance to/from work every day? there is literally no good information online that makes sense to a beginner, its all for enthusiasts. i rode a bike when i was 9 a few times, i just want it for easy transportation. please help, i have like 500 although id like to spend a lot less.
>>
>>912256
I'd get a rigid hybrid from a bike shop, sometimes also known as a flat bar road bike. Don't get the one with the shocks, anything but cheap shocks.

If you cared about bikes and wanted a beater and were willing to fix it up, I'd recommend a Schwinn Wayfarer or Admiral, but it sounds like you want something you don't have to think about.
>>
Two questions for you guys:

Will riding a unicycle actually make me a better cyclist? I suppose that there would be a fair bit of CNS adaptation and balance improvement so it kinda interests me.

SEcond question is heavily related: My old frame is died and the fork is still ok, can that actually be recycled into a uni, or will I end up with carbon shards in my gooch lying in the gutter?
>>
>>912264
1. Yeah sure, won't hurt.
2.Nope. Uni forks have different dropouts to allow for the cranks.
>>
Defy 1 or Defy 3?
>>
>>912256
If you're in europe or japan, look at mamacharis, or dutch commuter bikes for a basic idea. Key is a casual saddle and riding position. If you have mechanical skill, the steel 10 speed or mountain bike conversion is a good choice.

>>912257
You're seriously recommending wall mart bikes? That's some serious flat bar retardation you've got going.
>>
>>912365
Depends if you need the extra money to go to kit and other finishing bits or not, I'd say.

Shoes, pedals, lights, saddlebag or other repair kit, cycling clothes, etc.
>>
>>912253
A nice floor pump, or a bike stand
>>
>>912365

Good for pedals, shoes. Won't need lights or saddlebags. Will need shorts and a basic repair kit to throw in my bag I guess. I'm expecting to spend about $200 on ancillary stuff.

The jump in price between the two is pretty substantial here ($1000 to $1500). I know the group set is far better and the carbon seat post isn't a bad idea but I'm more interested in the differing bottom bracket I think.
>>
>>912253
good helmet. good lights. good shorts. good pedals and shoes (you should be able to get good pedals and shoes for 100)
>>
>>912256
I used a GMC Denali bike from wal mart to go to a job i had for about 4 months. 5 total miles everyday. It did the job. I totally recommend it. The bike (without helmet or lights or lock) was 200 USD.

You're going to have a wrecked butthole for the first week or so. Depends on how much you weigh. If you're terrified of that, you can get pads for your saddle.
>>
So I've got a Trek 8.3 Hybrid bike from my high school days I got to commute to my job. I'm looking into some gravel riding and endurance stuff in the future. My biggest candidate currently is the Felt V85, as it seems like a good adventure bike for its price. Does anyone have any opinions on the brand/model? Also, would it be insane if I just tried to upgrade the groupset on my 8.3 and add some drop bars? Once I get the V85 I'll never ride the 8.3 again...
>>
>>912367
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Schwinn Admiral as a beater bike for someone that knows how to tube up a bike. It is low cost, simple, durable, and comes with rack and fenders.
>>
Asked this in the old thread, and didn't get an answer: how good are Diamondback's bikes. I see them at both real bike stores and at wal-mart type stores, so it's hard to tell where their quality is at.
>>
>>912528
1. You're much better off getting a proper road bike than trying to fit drop bars on your hybrid, the frame geometry is different so putting drops on would likely require an uncommonly long stem, might produce various component compatibility issure, and the end result wouldn't be comparable to a real road bike.
2. You might not ride the hybrid much in the future but it's always nice to have an alternate/backup/winter-tire-equipped bike.
3. The Felt you mentioned is a fine bike, just keep in mind that "adventure bike" isn't a very particular category, essentially any road bike with clearance for wider tires will work for that kind of riding.

>>912530
"Diamondback" is a brand name that has changed hands a number of times in recent decades so it's impossible to generalize about their past and present offerings, like most big brand names (Schwinn, Trek, Peugeot, Raleigh), it has been put on both really nice and really shitty bikes at different times.
>>
>>912533
on the Diamondback thing, I'm mostly looking at their current 'Century' series.
>>
>>912530
Like a shitload of other common brands, they're made by Kinesis in China. Their quality is okay.

Why their garbon road bikes exist is a mystery to me tho. I can't imagine that anyone's going to go out and drop $5K on a DB fred sled instead of a Terk or something.
>>
>>912533
>"Diamondback" is a brand name that has changed hands a number of times in recent decades so it's impossible to generalize about their past and present offerings, like most big brand names (Schwinn, Trek, Peugeot, Raleigh)
I don't get what you're trying to imply. Diamondback was bought, merged with Raleigh, then sold with Raleigh to someone else. Trek has been family owned for pretty much all of it's history.
>>
Has anyone from /n/ ever met up? Have you ever met anyone and then found out they were a secret /n/ user?

I know some cyclists who go on /r/bicycling and /r/cycling but I don't know if I've ever met another /n/igger.
>>
Look for decent components and a frame that fits, the sticker is not the most important compared to fit and components. most are made in China anyway
>>
Theoretical question: wouldn't smaller wheels be better for city riding?

1. Smaller wheel means less rotating mass means faster acceleration. Seems ideal for stop start riding

2. Rarely pot holes long enough to worry about small wheel getting stuck.

It's this correct?

I want a 20" wheel, 2" tire city bike with with... Do bars, and disc brakes, and a fucking rear rack. And fenders. And rolhoff. And belt. Carbon shit everywhere. 15 lbs. Make it happen. Where is it
>>
>>912579
if you want speed then a 700c, if you want something that will rarely need truing go with the 26 or 20, ...27s are the perfect touring tire...Just an opinion.
>>
>>912534
The DB Century bikes look decent. Not any better than another other bike in the price range, but nothing that really stands out either.

>>912571
People on /n/ have met up before, but not frequently. We've seen joint pics from tripfags from San Fran, anons in Colorado, and I want to say there was at least one meetup somewhere else I can't recall, Toronto? But really, people on 4chan aren't here to be sociable.

>>912579
Full-size bikes are better for visibility and ergonomics, and city blocks/speeds are generally such that you don't really get an advantage from smaller wheels. If you really want that dream bike, all you have to do is commission a custom minivelo frame...
>>
>>912571
Ask your friends, most of them are probably 4channers.
>>
File: bicycle_cannondale_hooligan_hk.jpg (155KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bicycle_cannondale_hooligan_hk.jpg
155KB, 1024x768px
>>912579
is this close enough?
say what you will.... at least you won't see many other people riding the same bike
>>
Any suggestions for gloves that actually protect from the cold, would protect against skidding in a crash and offer reasonable maneuverability for switching gears?

I'm thinking I need to find a pair of light leather winter gloves or something.
>>
>>912592
>Any suggestions for gloves that actually protect from the cold, would protect against skidding in a crash and offer reasonable maneuverability for switching gears?

auto mechanics gloves offer some protection while still having dexterity. the all-synthetic models (most of them) are machine washable too. brand names are $20-$30 and generics at places like harbor freight are $7-$12. winter water-proof versions use neoprene, they're good for short rides, but eventually your hands get very sweaty and they take much longer to dry out.
>>
>>912579
If that were true, you'd see smaller wheels on track bicycles intended for short courses. But you don't.

When you model the kinetic energy that goes into keeping the bicycle at a certain speed, you see that the increased moment of inertia of a large wheel is pretty much canceled out by the decreased rotational speed.

So you might as well go for large diameter wheels, and enjoy the lower rolling resistance.
>>
>>912599
Been considering these, guess I'll try a pair.

Hesitated since the last work gloves I tried got holes in the fingers almost immediately.
>>
>>912600
You do realize there is a minimum wheel size rule because of track Moultons right?
>>
I have a line on some KCNC CB1s for $75, or C7s for $105. I'm not sure which one to get. Annoyingly, they may be missing the TI nuts.

CB1s used to be well reviewed back when there weren't many options, but are flexy, and stock pads gave them exceptionally poor performance. C7s are supposed to be a straight upgrade in performance, but some people still call them flexy. Not sure what to do, but either one will lose significant weight over my stock boat anchors.
>>
>>912609
Trading braking performance for marginal weight savings is a bad deal - don't forget that effective brakes make you faster by freeing you to carry more speed on descents and brake less often.
>>
>>912611
>Trading braking performance for marginal weight savings is a bad deal
It makes my 105 group lighter than an Ultegra group. I'm not a heavy weight either.

>don't forget that effective brakes make you faster by freeing you to carry more speed on descents and brake less often.
This is really not a benefit to me because I'm not racing anyone downhill.
>>
>>912533
Feltboy here, trying to get more into the hobby, hard to do without cyclist friends irl, so I'm gonna ask you. So basically gravel riding (never done it) can be done just fine with any road bike? Obviously tread would make the job a bit easier, but a road bike would come out in one piece after, say, a 100 mile ride on a gravel and dirt road? Because the way I understand it, if you wanna get a road bike and have it versatile, just get one with clearance for wider tires?
>>
>>912616
Have you ever felt a pair of aluminum brake calipers in your hands? like the actual weight, then compared it with another?

Literally the poop in your colon will still weigh more than the weight you'll be saving after spending nearly 100 bones.

don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.
>>
File: 032014.jpg (204KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
032014.jpg
204KB, 1536x1152px
>>912618
You can take a road bike with regular skinny tires and ride gravel roads all day if that's what you've got, you're much more likely to do permanent damage to your bike and wheels riding around in a city where there are big potholes and curbs that can be bashed into.

And it's larger volume tires that are really beneficial (they dampen more vibration and allow you carry more speed through sand and loose gravel), tire tread isn't particularly important unless the gravel is especially loose or muddy.
>>
What's the most commonly recommended bike just for casual biking around here? Main use would be a 1 mile trip to the gym, and some 20-25 mile cardio trips around country roads.
>>
>>912659
90s rigid MTB with slicks
>>
>>912660
Any specific brand? Price range is $500 tops
>>
>>912661
Friend recommended TREK and I found a 2014 7.5k for $600 on Cragislist. What do you guys think?
>>
>>912666
https://chambana.craigslist.org/bik/5392140394.html

Bike in question
>>
>>912669

Overpriced as fuck. There's no way that bike is $2000 new. Plus it's a hybrid, not a road bike nor a MTB, worst of both worlds.
>>
>>912676
Yeah, it definitely isn't worth close to $2000 but is it worth the $600?
>>
>>912600

Yeah but the core of my question is about stop start city riding, where acceleration trumps momentum.

I need to get a hooligan

I am convinced a fat tire 20" or 24" is ideal for pure acceleration on downtown city streets. It's just nobody wants to look like a dork on a folder bike so the market is full of lame stuff
>>
>>912607

Not him but holy shit. I'd this legit?

I always figured the reason for large wheels was for bumps and holes, ones where a smaller diameter wheel would fall in our hit too hard. Hence the appeal of 29ers. I'm expecting a larger size to get hyped one day

>the Velodrome ride happened to take place on the 51 year anniversary that Dr Alex Moulton saw four Moulton riders lap their big-wheeled adversaries in front of a packed velodrome in Coventry, in the 4,000 metre four man pursuit.

>Back in 1963, The Daily Mail said: “Spectators laughed when a team of cyclists rode to the starting line of a 4000-metre challenge race yesterday on minibikes with only 17” wheels. But the four Fairy Cycle kids of Coventry went off from the gun like a shot and thrashed their opponents, a team from Leicester, riding conventional 27” wheeled machines, by 220 yards.”

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/moulton-track-bike-gets-olympic-velodrome-try-out/016481
>>
>>912685

If all you want is max acceleration on the green light best options probably a racing bmx.
>>
>>912659
Had the same interest 10 months ago and got a used ~300-400 EUR, 9kg road bike with alloy frame, Ultegra groupsets, etc..

Took it in for a check, rode it a LOT with flat shoes. Got updates like clipless pedals and some tools like a pump.

Really fun and worth it, addictive, look if you can find smth similar.

Sorry for the blog.
>>
>>912679

Maybe if it was brand new
>>
>>912704
What I'm saying is: Get a real road bike, depending what country roads are..
>>
>>912619
Yes I have. BR-5800s are heavy, 200g each, almost a pound for the pair. Either KCNC is less than half of that, and over half a pound of weight loss. You're implying I don't already poop before rides. You seem very much bitter about nice things. Enjoy your shitty weinmanns.
>>
>>912708
Guy stopped replying after I told him to meet me in public. Probably something sketchy going on haha.

>>912704
>>912715
I'll definitely look around for a good deal. All the stores around here, their prices are ridiculous.
>>
>>912717
Holy shit Fred pls go
>>
>>912758
>not pooing before a ride
>>
>>912669
>deore
>$2000

maximum keks
>>
>>912717

Paying an extra $100 for 200g isn't bad but it's not the best. That's 2g per $. I'd bet even your bike has 4g per $ upgrades you haven't done

Time to get insane. Weigh every part on your bike, make excel spreadsheet.

Math:
Grams on current part - grams on potential replacement / price of replacement

Doing this, you'll get the most efficient upgrade path (and become full psycho)
>>
>>912812

Oh ignore me, I didn't know the KCNC C6 was only $90. That's a good deal for shavin gramz
>>
What's the best inexpensive handlebar / stem phone mount?
>>
>>912812
>Paying an extra $100 for 200g isn't bad but it's not the best.
It's a 225g difference, it's quite a bit.

>I'd bet even your bike has 4g per $ upgrades you haven't done
It does not. I've taken every 2g+ per $ upgrade available short of latex tubes, tubulars, and bolt-on skewers. I've done almost everything I could without touching the components and consumables and Chinese garbon and SRAM.

If you want a list:
8g top cap/alloy bolt $4
7g expander plug $12
1130g XR-200 wheels $275
5g veloplugs $10
10g seatpost clamp $7
36g ti skewers $18
19g braze on adapter $3
245g handlebars $20
100g stem $15
4g 6x alloy m5 bolts $2
67g tubes $5
200g tires $15
6g 3x 5mm poly carbonate spacers $5
30g bottle cages $1
185g padded saddle $20
170g cut down seatpost $15
240g pedals $30

Tell me I haven't done every cheap weight loss upgrade.

>spreadsheet
I already have a spreadsheet on dollars to gram.

>>912816
Where did you find that besides fairwheel which hasn't had them or a while? The last line I had on C6 was aliexpress for $115, but they stopped selling them, so I turned to used KCNC brakes. The CB1 is 160g, the C7 is 165g, I gave their prices at $75 and $105 respectively.
>>
>>912817
Otterbox with belt clip zip tied to the stem.
>>
How does /n/ feel about electric bikes?
>>
File: minivelo.png (371KB, 950x594px) Image search: [Google]
minivelo.png
371KB, 950x594px
>>912590
mini velo are great. a couple of years ago soma sold a really nice one but sadly nobody bought it

i'd love to have one of pic related but with di2 or something
>>
>>912771
>not having a full enema before your daily epic
>>
>>912830
>30g bottle cages $1
wat

>1130g XR-200 wheels $275

Is that the RIM weight or the whole wheelset weight? If the latter, how??? Presumably not much in the aero though?
>>
>>912838
>>912830
Also what's the total bike weight, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>912838
>wat
China plastic bottle cages are 30-35g depending on design and individual variance, and cost $1. There's some more expensive Tacx plastic cages that are 23g, and carbon cages under 20g, which I actually have some of too, but I got them when ICAN was selling them for $5 each.

>Is that the RIM weight or the whole wheelset weight? If the latter, how??? Presumably not much in the aero though?
It's not aero at all. Also made a typo, 1230g, but still very light. The build is Kinlin XR-200 rims, Sapim Lasers or China-CX-ray-clones(all the same weight, clones made by Pillar or CNspoke), alloy nipples, and Bitex/Taiwanese RAF9/RAR10 hubs.

>>912841
I'm migrating parts over to a new build, but one of the old builds with most of those parts was under 7kg with a full 5800 groupset, and under 16lbs with pedals and cages.
>>
>>912844
>>912838
Also, you can just buy prebuilt XR-200 wheels off aliexpress, but they use the plain bitex hubs, so they come in 30g heavier at 1260g, for under $300. Not very stiff or aero though.
>>
Is 5C too cold for just cycling shorts? Should I wearing jeans over them?
>>
>>912858
Depends how hardy you are. I think that's about the coldest it gets down here and I made do with non-thermal bib-tights.

It feels like legs don't need as much insulation because they're the ones doing all the work.
>>
>>912864
It's been quite windy recently, I'm thinking that it will probably feel colder. Might just wear jeans anyway, don't want to do 40km when my legs are freezing.
>>
>>912865

Get leg warmers instead
>>
>>912877
I want to cycle tomorrow though and can't be arsed buying something.

Will look into legwarmers anyway.
>>
Any good lead on a decent Chinese carbon aero wheelset (3-4 cm max)?
>>
>>912865
you should wear like sweatpants or something. 40k in jeans sounds like agony.
>>
>>912939
I mean over my cycling shorts. That'd be alright wouldn't it?
>>
>>912941
the problem with denim is even if you wear jeans loose enough to give you full freedom of movement (hip hop style or 90s dad jeans) it's a heavy fabric and the weave is course enough to really rub. casual riding you don't notice but 40k you can rub the hairs off your knees and above, your skin will probably chafe to some degree. wearing shorts under is a better idea but i'd avoid jeans if possible. don't you have some long underwear that could go between?

jeans do a fair job blocking wind chill, though. be careful.
>>
>>912943
Wait you're saying if I wear jeans during the week, I wont have to shave my legs anymore?
>>
>>912943
Probably got some long johns somewhere but I'll be too fucking hot.

I do have some tracksuit bottoms I think, they would be a better idea I presume.
>>
>>912945
that would be my recommendation

>>912944
hey, you do whatever you want, you kooky kid.
>>
should i buy the kilo TT?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/5372451783.html

it's 52 and I ride 54. Would raising the seat + adding a drop bar make it fit?
>>
>>912947
Alright m8 I'll wear those, cheers.
>>
>>912945
For me riding in cold weather (2-6° C) was np with thin bottoms, but take care of your toes....
>>
>>912948
Sure, if you want a generic fg/ss. Hopefully seller will be able to include the stock drops that came with the bike.
>>
Does anyone have any advice for getting over the psych aspects of an accident? I was struck from behind at the crest of a hill and now it's hard to trust that the cars I hear coming up behind are capable of overtaking properly.

I really want to feel as comfortable as I did on the roads before it happened again.
>>
>>912970
I have been hit by drunk drivers on my motorcycle a FEW times. One time I rode after smoking pot on my road bicycle and thought every car was gonna hit me...The trick is knowing that you are already dead, and its what time you have left on this planet to have fun with...

if its 1 day or 100 years, we are all going to die anon, get out and ride
>>
>>912970
I've gone through this too and it sucks - ultimately it comes down to consciously choosing to ignore fear and discomfort, and accepting that risk is part of being alive.
>>
File: velobuild.png (85KB, 669x851px) Image search: [Google]
velobuild.png
85KB, 669x851px
>>912929
Just browsed reddit a little and came up with this.. still have an Ultegra groupset... sheeeeit
>>
>>912970
May I ask what happened in the accident? Were you hurt?
>>
>>912972
>>912982
Thanks, kind anons. Time heals I hope.

>>912985
I'm not good at green texting, but here it goes:

>two minutes from home after work
>reach tip of last hill where it flattens out
>cruising, catching breath
>hear a car from behind
>no problem
>sharp bang, flop to the side away from the car (thank fuck)
>fucker speeds off
>silver car, taxi plate is all I could see
>several cars drive past with me lying there
>trying to work out if I can move
>by the time I work out I'm not dead, a car does stop
>front of their car is fucked
>hit them turning at a junction then sped off up the hill
>bruised ass and elbow
>thought bike was okay
>later find out bike is actually fucked
>they never got the driver

I think he didn't have enough time to react due to him speeding up the steep hill and checking behind him so I took a windshield to the ass. Physical injuries weren't bad at all, but the sound of cars coming up fast from behind just triggers a reaction.
>>
File: 20160109_153622.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160109_153622.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How do I get the crank off?
>>
File: 10TFB_CCP22c_v2.jpg (137KB, 960x595px) Image search: [Google]
10TFB_CCP22c_v2.jpg
137KB, 960x595px
>>913008
1. remove dustcap in the middle of the crankarm (pin spanner, or just jam something pointy into one of the holes and turn)
2. remove the crank fixing bolt with a 14mm socket
3. use a thread crank extractor to pull the crank arm off the bb spindle (pic related)

>>912989
>hit and run
There's a special place in hell for people who do this (they run blindfolded through an endless maze for all of eternity, the floor is hot ash and the walls of the maze are studded with cattleprods).
>>
>>913010
Thanks, friend.
>>
>>913010
Agreed, I get that their job would probably be at stake, but I could be dead for all they know. Messed up.
>>
>>913008
Youtube is where I go for "how to's", they usually have the simple ones that will walk you through, then If I have some complex questions I come to my /N/iggas for help (pic related, I am building one)
>>
File: fuji_thrill_ltx_07_m.jpg (26KB, 360x209px) Image search: [Google]
fuji_thrill_ltx_07_m.jpg
26KB, 360x209px
>>913027
*pic missing woops
>>
>>913010

what if I don't have one of those
>>
File: examples.jpg (1MB, 800x3352px) Image search: [Google]
examples.jpg
1MB, 800x3352px
I want to buy a bicycle, I live in Victoria Australia, there are hundreds of 2nd hand road bikes for sale around me.

I want to spend under $150. What do I avoid? What do I look for?

I want to use the bike for camping and then later touring.

Are all of these shit?
>>
>>913037

>Avoid
Cottered cranks
27" wheels
Suicide levers
Rust

>Look for
Columbus/Tange/Reynolds tubing, or actually anything but hi-ten
Integrated brake levers/shifters

Out of the ones you posted, the fourth one is by far the nicest.. except for that retarded backwards seatpost.
>>
File: BonoboToolUse.jpg (2MB, 2608x1952px) Image search: [Google]
BonoboToolUse.jpg
2MB, 2608x1952px
>>913036
If you can't find a necessary tool close at hand in your immediate environment, try using your capabilities as a social primate to buy, borrow, or hire that tool from another member of your species.

>>913037
Previous anon is right on, only thing he failed to mention is sizing: you need a bike that's not so big that you can't straddle it, and not so small that you can't fit comfortably on it. The most important measure is the length of the frame's seattube, which needs to be proportional to the length of the rider's legs/height.

Just to comment on the bikes you've posted, all 6 of those appear to have roughly the same size frames, to suit riders 5'10" - 6'2"
>>
File: Size Chart.jpg (36KB, 296x340px) Image search: [Google]
Size Chart.jpg
36KB, 296x340px
>>913037
>>913047
And here's a pretty good sizing chart. Keep in mind that most riders can fit on a range of frame sizes, for instance I'm 6'0 and can fit well on frames in the 55-58 cm range
>>
>>913048
5'10 here and ride a 56 for road but I hate my cx at 56 and wish it was a 54 or maybe even a little smaller for maneuverability and basically it sucks to just sit on.
>>
>>913052
u wut
>>
>>913040
>Cottered cranks
>27" wheels
>Suicide levers
>Rust
My first road bike was a Panasonic with all of the above. lol The crank I swapped to a Sram. The levers are now modern, the rust was sanded and errr waxed. Still kept the 27s, cause they roll really nice.
>>
>>913008
dont forget to dispose of those biopace rings
>>
Anyone try an ISM Adamo? I'm finding it one of the most uncomfortable saddles I've ever tried. The entire back section is useless because from front pokes into your legs, and the front isn't quite wide enough for me, so it only gives me support in a very aggressive position. But if I'm that far forward, there's no lose at all, and it doesn't feel stable. I did ziptie it and it did help, but I'm thinking something with a vestigial nose like Selle SMP may be better for me.
>>
>>913052
it sounds like you would do better with a bike that has a shorter wheelbase and shorter top tube

>>913078
>hating on based biopace
for what reason
>>
>>913091
m80 did you even read the instructions? adamos are the minimum length that int'l cycling racing regs require; you're supposed to level the *rails* and sit on the nose
>>
is a rapid fire shifter (modified) on drop bars a reasonable shifter for a 1x7 commuter ?
>>
>>912947
>>912950
Got back from my ride lads.

Ended up doing 52km, I'm rather sore.

Tracksuit bottoms worked, I used elastic bands round the ankles and pulled them up like shorts though because I actually got too hot.

Longest ride I've done, stopped for 30 mins halfway and got a mcdonalds lel.

I've learnt that
>I definitely need bar ends because my wrists fucking hurt after being in the same position for ages
>I need a new saddle. After about 18k maybe my arse starts to hurt and it gets worse
>there are hills in my area that are absolute cunts
>for some reason cars overtaking me doesn't scare me at all, even the bloke who sped past at 60mph half a metre away from me, this is probably a bad thing I shouldn't trust cars that much

Any bar ends you lot would recommend?

What about saddles? I know it's subjective and varies by person. I'd probably be looking for a touring saddle since I do longer distances, also I tend to sit a bit forward and can definitely feel the pressure in my perineum area.
>>
>>913133
>I definitely need bar ends because my wrists fucking hurt after being in the same position for ages

you did 52km on a flat bar? please tell me you're not also running knobby tires.

i'm not sure there's much difference between bar ends but i could be wrong. they're tubular aluminum attached to a clamp. aside from relief of hand fatigue, they give great leverage on those cunty hills you mentioned.

>I tend to sit a bit forward and can definitely feel the pressure in my perineum area.

no saddle recs, but you can fiddle with pointing the nose down some if you haven't already
>>
>>913141
>knobby tires

No I'm not riding a mountain bike, just a hyrbid with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 35cs.

>pointing the nose down

I thought you were supposed to keep the saddle flat?
>>
>>913131
No.
>>
>>913142
a little variation is allowed, just don't do anything drastic. downward a few mm to a cm or so shouldn't have any adverse effect and you should really notice a benefit on your gooch. too far and you slide forward, makes even more pressure on your hands. just use common sense and fiddle for a while.
>>
>>913144
Right ta.

If I was to look for new saddles, what would I look for that suits sitting forward and less pressure on my gooch? One of those cutaway ones? Do they work or is it a meme?
>>
>>913130
And I posted why that was uncomfortable. There's no purpose to having the back of the saddle, as there's no way to comfortably sit on it, and like I said, it's hard for me to get in a position where the front supports me just right. And when I mean the back, I mean the widest part. There's no way to sit on it comfortably.
>>
>>912833
but then i can't easily switch between bikes
>>
>>913151
Buy more belt clips fpr $5
>>
>>913154
That seems like a very unrefined solution
Do u know of any good products designed for this application or no
>>
>>913143

y tho ?
>>
>>913155
But it works better than every other product on the market. Enjoy your shitty quick release China thing that ejects your phone when you hit a pothole though.
>>
>>913179
You've tried every product on the market?
>>
What's some good BLACK reflective tape?
>>
So I just got a bent valve stem.

Last night I got a flat and had to use my shitty hand pump to fill it, and the thing is bent at like a 45 degree angle now.

Is this thing fucked now?
I made it home alright and it seems fine today, but is it gonna shoot off and kill me or something?

Hell if I'm gonna just throw away this perfectly good $4 tube for no reason. That's a lot of money.
>>
File: 4135246225_719f46f47e_z-1.jpg (61KB, 625x466px) Image search: [Google]
4135246225_719f46f47e_z-1.jpg
61KB, 625x466px
Hey fellas. I had my heart set on a Singular Peregrine. To me, it was the perfect bike. Geometry and spec wise it was perfect. A gravel runner with big clearance, rack mounts, comfy geometry and classic looking (that fork with the crown..so rare these days).

They are not being made anymore. I'll keep checking eBay but since I was just planning to slowly save up for it this doesn't give me a realistic goal. (What if I can't find my size when I'm ready to buy etc..)

Can anyone show me alternatives to this bike? I know there's lots of the same type, "monster cross" bikes, but they all have sloping top tubes from what I've seen. Call me fussy but i just can't stand it. So /n/, help me find my new dream bike, please!
>>
>>912582
27 master race reporting
>>
>>913155

topeak make some
>>
what are the Cons of V-brakes?
>>
Does anyone ride with a No-nose Saddle?

Has ED affected you?
>>
>>913192
Manlet detected
>>
>>913199
I just googled for it and found an example of the bike that I am talking about, because you know, it's an imageboard.
>autist detected
>>
File: 5.jpg (511KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
511KB, 1536x1152px
>>913195
The only real drawback to V-brakes is that they require V-brake specific levers.

>>913187
If it's still holding air, run until failure. But I would expect that the bend in the valve is going to lead to breakage at some point, and then yes, it will be fucked.

>>913192
I don't know offhand of other new bikes or frames to recommend, but one option you might consider is finding an 80's touring frame and equipping it to go offroad. Pic related was something I owned a couple years ago and it was super fun for fire roads and light MTB use.
>>
I have absolutely no knowledge regarding bikes whatsoever. How's this look?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/rvs/5386251515.html
>>
>>913203
It's a shit Walmart bike and the current owner looks to have done something dumb with the handlebars - it's not worth anymore than its scrap metal value.

How tall are you and what's your budget like? Tell us and we can browse your CL for better options.
>>
>>913204
I'm around 6', budget is around $150-$200 although I'd prefer to spend less. I'm just looking for a bike to use so that I can commute to my college campus.
>>
>>913203
>for sale >rvs - by owner
Excuse me what?

Looks like there's 50 other crappy huffy walmart bikes listed under RVs too.
LA is a strange place for scammers.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-04+at+07.21.44).jpg (104KB, 763x766px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-04+at+07.21.44).jpg
104KB, 763x766px
Can someone help me out? I just got a brand new Giant Defy 5 2014, and it rides pretty smooth. The only problem ive been having with it that sometimes the chain will fall off when changing from the big ring to the small ring, sometimes vice versa. The front derailleur looks like its adjusted correctly, everything is stock with the Claris group set. Do I have to just break the bike in more since it's relatively new, or do you guys have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
>>
Any recommendations for daily commute bikes? Going to be cycling to college soon and the journey is mostly uphill/slope, about 20mins with my current shitty bike.

Poor college student so only have about 500 to spend.
>>
>>913202
Hey that's not a bad idea. I have a Bridgestone RB-2 but sadly it has no rack or fender mounts and no canti brake mounts. That shogun looks really good and quite perfect for what I'm thinking of.
>>
>>913206
How's this one look?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/5381229552.html
>>
>>913207
Your high/low limit screws are set wrongly, I would assume. Go to youtube and check derailleur adjustment, I think GCN did a nice video on it.

I used to drop chains all the time, I set the screws, now no more problems.

Only downside is that your shifts might take an extra half second to catch the bigger ring, b/c the throw of the derailleur might not be as long.

Cheer, nice bike Giant makes really nice frames.
>>
>>913205
There's not much in that price range that isn't garbage...

>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/5396797687.html
Might be a little small, but close enough I think.

>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/5396634694.html
Likewise a little small but should work

>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/5396633216.html
perfect, a steal for the price even if the bartape is dirty, I'd expect the seller will likely have some basic pedals they could include for you

>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bik/5396517758.html
Another okay option, 2nd best of the four I found here

>>913217
This one is a kid's mountain bike, unless you can shrink from 6' to 4'6" it's not going to work.

>>913207
The problem almost certainly that your front derailer's limit screws aren't adjusted properly. Read/watch one of the many der. adjustment tutorials online.

>>913209
Since you already have a bike, your most affordable option may be to make it less shitty, show us what you're starting with?
>>
>>913221
>>913205
I found a few more:
>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bik/5356166463.html
Another decent possibility, your size, definitely serviceable

>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/bik/5388012667.html
Even better still, a steal at that price even if it does need tubes and a little work

>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/5388288888.html
Will need a saddle and probably a tuneup and tires, but cheap even considering that

>http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/bik/5392948811.html
Finds keep coming, I think this may be the best quality:price find yet, start here.
>>
>>913222
Good eye, that schwinn is nice
>>
>>913222
>>913221
Seems that the owner still has that very last one, the $39 Tall Road Bike. Gonna go pick it up in a bit, thanks so much for the help anon!
>>
File: IMG_3025 (Custom).jpg (2MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3025 (Custom).jpg
2MB, 5184x3456px
goddamnit it /n/, i rode into a recessed grate hiding deep at the bottom of a puddle and went flying at 30-40km/h

Pulled my bike onto the side of the road and bled on it in the rain for a while fixing a flat and straightening the stem then rode the 10km home.

LBS trued the rear wheel and now i notice the frame is bent. Well... It's too small for me anyway. I raced it on 160km of hills last month with a shorter 130mm stem but trying to get it to fit is really just a wild goose chase, so fuck it. It tracks reasonably well and can still be ridden no hands.

I can still ride this while i sort something else out right? Is it fucked or absolutely fucked?
>>
File: IMG_3028 (Custom) .jpg (1MB, 2456x1637px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3028 (Custom) .jpg
1MB, 2456x1637px
RIP Ken Evans, we had some good rides :, (
>>
>>913250
Sue the city
>>
>>913251
it doesn't look that fugged desu wa

top tube a bit bent and maybe you could straighten it with the wooden block + mallet trick but eh
>>
File: PeugeotPX10_1963_Repair_1.jpg (306KB, 1879x1222px) Image search: [Google]
PeugeotPX10_1963_Repair_1.jpg
306KB, 1879x1222px
>>913250
>>913251
That kind of damage can be fixed, but finding someone who has (or can fabricate) the necessary headset straightening tool will probably be the bigger challenge.

Glad to hear you're okay though.
>>
>>913258
>>913250
but on the other hand, if it's too small, it's probably not worth trying to fix - you'll never be able to resell that frame, and finding a new, proper sized replacement will probably cost about the same as the repair process (and probably less if you add the cost of a repaint to the repair).
>>
File: bike.png (255KB, 923x300px) Image search: [Google]
bike.png
255KB, 923x300px
Hey /N/, Long time no see. In the two years since I was last here I have become horrendously unfit and am now part of the gas guzzling masses.

Decided to come back to cycling but being a landwhale, I now will probably snap a roadbike in half, so have decided to go for a meatier cyclocross bike.

Need to keep this as cheap as possible for now so narrowed it down to two options

VooDoo Limba, ugly and about £85 more expensive than my other choice, but the frame looks more rugged, and has gears

or

Verenti Isolation, one gear, frame looks a bit flimsy in comparison to the voodo. However the bike looks stunning, and the price is insanely cheap at Wiggle.

What should I go for?
>>
>>913332

Being fat and riding singlespeed doesn't seem like the best of ideas. Get the geared one.
>>
>>913333
Thats a solid point, even when I was fit my single speed gearing was softer than this so a single speed is gonna really wipe me out isn't it
>>
>>913332
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-claris-2016/
>>
>>913336
Can't see a carbon fork lasting me long, that's why I'm going cyclocross rather than road
>>
>>913340
>I'm a fucking idiot, that's why I make stupid decisions
https://youtu.be/xreZdUBqpJs
>>
I'm having problems shifting. I tightened the cable for the front derailleur, but still having problems. The derailleur is stuck in the smallest gear. If I hold the shift lever down and then rotate the pedals, the chain can switch to the second gear. However, the lever doesn't click, and as soon as I let go the derailleur goes back to the small gear. I'm going to go buy penetrating oil today, but idk if that will fix it. The lever can shift the derailleur enough to get the chain to the next gear, the problem is there's no click and the derailleur won't stay there once I let go of the shift lever.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>913360
You've tightened the cable too much and the limiter srews on the derailleur is set wrong. Unscrew the one that says 'H' a quarter of a turn at a time untill it upshifts the way you want it to.
Possibly DR is also not in line with chainring, and/or has slipped and is at the wrong height. It should be 3-4mm above the chainring teeth when on the largest ring.
>>
>>913360
You high limit screw is adjusted in too far.
>>
>>913195
>what are the Cons of V-brakes?
On an old CX bike my Shimano compact cantilevers fit in the available space but when I tried to fit various Avid, Tektro and TRP V-brakes the arms or noodles all interfered with my rear rack.

Road bikes need special levers with longer cable pull or the V-Brakes need to be designed for road brake levers otherwise you'll have lots of trouble trying to get the levers to work correctly. The plus side is that with the correctly levers V-brakes have great mechanical advantage - they stop really well.
>>
Hit me with a recommendation: trek domane 2.0 or giant defy 2 disc. Have test ridden both, both feel great. Both tiagra. Only difference is treks funky seat suspension thingy and discs vs rim brakes. I couldn't get a good feel for the disc brakes in a test ride because they needed to get broken in, I guess.
>>
>>913412
Personally I'd go for the bike with rim brakes at this point, road disc setups haven't been around long enough to be cheaply/readily maintained or repaired, and don't actually give much improvement to brake performance unless you're doing a lot of wet weather riding.
>>
>>913414
I live on the west coast where we are likely to get a fair amount of rain in the next few months, which I would ride in since the plan is for this bike to do double duty as a commuter.
>>
>>913412

The defy should come with giants equivalent to the trek suspension, d-fuse steatpost or something.
>>
>>913415
doggy, if you live in regular california, you don't need discs.
people have been able to stop on wet and muddy roads with rim brakes for nearly a century.
water didn't just now develope a new degree of wetness that makes rim brakes obsolete.

a real consideration is actually, that rim brakes might still be more stopping power than you need on the road. You can have all the stopping power in the world, but if you're running tires less than 36mm, you're more likely to lose contact with the road and slide.
>>
As someone with minimal idea what I'm doing, should I try to trouble shoot fit problems myself or just pony up the cash for a basic bike fit?

I have knee pain in my right leg after any ride with climbing or more than 10mi.
>>
>>913427
About my only issue with rim brakes and wet bloody weather is that wheels often pick up crud that makes braking less effective and puts extra wear on the rims.
>>
>>913427
Looks like giant went all in on discs anyways. Can't get a defy without discs with better drive train than sora.
>>
>>913427
>>913438
>>913440
I live in Cali, and to be honest, I want discs just because I live in a hilly area. Brake power is barely adequate, but that's not the problem. The problem is descents are long enough that I end up with shards of aluminum in the pads half the time, and I'm always cleaning my pads, and rims always show lots of wear.
>>
>>913436
see if there's a bike kitchen/bike coop type place in your area.
>>
>>913362
>>913363
I unscrewed the H screw a full 360 but it didn't help. Are you sure that's the problem? From what I've read the H screw is only for the position of the derailleur. That's not the problem though, the derailleur is exactly where it needs to be. Right now I'm in first gear. If I push the shift lever, the derailleur moves over second gear like it should, and if I rotate the pedals the chain moves over to second gear and everything is fine.

The problem is, it doesn't stay like this. I have to keep pressing the shift lever, as soon as I let go the derailleur moves back to first gear. I think the shift lever is supposed to 'click' when I push it, but it doesn't click.

So the derailleur moves where it's supposed to move, it just doesn't stay there and downshifts back to first gear as soon as I release the shift lever
>>
I have a 26" rim, and a set of 40 triple butted spokes. I want to build a 10 speed drive wheel with disc brake.
I can only build a 2x 36h wheel with my current spokes. Is this strong enough or should i buy more spokes to make it a 3x wheel?
>>
>>913448
My assumption that it was the FD high limit was because your shifter wasn't able to click into position, was getting caught on the limit.

Next step, can you shift by manually pulling the cable? If yes, the problem is in the shifter itself, either it's gunked up and needs to be flushed with light oil, or inside the shifter one of the detents that holds the cable in place with a 'click' is broken.

>>913454
2x will be fine as long as you have a good quality, stiff rim and assuming you're not an extra-heavy rider.
>>
>>913454
Don't listen to
>>913456

It's not about the number of crosses, it's about spoke angle. A 2x is acceptable on a 24 spoke wheel because that gives an acceptable spoke angle.
>>
>>913458
>spoke angle
Wait what?

I'm willing to concede you could be right, but as long as the wheel isn't laced radially why does it matter what angle the spokes end up at?
>>
>>913460
Because spoke angle is how you measure how tangential a spoke is to a hub. The reason 2x is acceptable on a 24h rim, is because moving the spoke a hole over, a cross, results in a bigger change, because the rim is divided into 24 parts instead of 36.
>>
File: 36_24_0123cross.gif (7KB, 634x337px) Image search: [Google]
36_24_0123cross.gif
7KB, 634x337px
>>913461
Well yes it does make sense that you need to use 2x for a typical 24h hub, but on a 36h I still don't understand why 2x (or even 1x for that matter) would not work. The wheel might not be as laterally stiff, but as long as it's anything but radial, the wheel will still be able to transfer torque, so what does it matter what the angle is?
>>
>>913446
The good news is there is, the bad news is its about 12 miles from my house....

I guess I can catch a bus there.
>>
>>913465
Because you run the risk of breaking the hub flange.
>>
>>913456
What do you mean "shift by manually pulling the cable"? I can move the derailleur into place, either by moving it directly by hand or by pushing the shift lever. But, it won't stay there, so once I let go it just goes back to first gear.

I looked up a video for flushing the shifters, they said I need a degreaser first, then do the oil... At this point I think I'm ready to just take it to the bike shop down the street and see if they can fix it
>>
>>913469
What he means if pull the cable away from the downtube.

Undo the cable, and pull it by hand with only moderate force, and see if it shifts and clicks. If not, then just spray the fuck out of the shifters with WD-40.
>>
>>913470
Which way am I pulling? Am I pulling the shifter or the derailer?
I don't have WD-40, I've got Boeshield T-9... and it's a squirt bottle not a spray bottle, but it looks like everybody else uses the spray instead. Oh well.
Do I just open the shifter up and squirt oil all over it?
>>
>>913485
The cable you fucking moron.
>>
>>913251
Dang man that's a bummer... sweet ride bro. If it feels solid I'd ride it till the wheels fall off.
>>
>>913468
>>913468
Thank you, that actually makes sense. I guess whether it would be dangerous or not to do 2x on 36h would depend on the hub - probably not a big deal on a quality hub with larger flanges, but something to avoid on small flanges.
>>
Assuming everything is in ok condition is this a reasonable price for this bike?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/5398758300.html
>>
>>913503
It's an okay price, shame it doesn't have the 600 STI levers, that would have made it a great deal. If you buy it, ask the seller if they can include the original stem.
>>
>>913498
Quality flanges tend to be build light weight, so not, not even then. You might get away with lower crosses on some specialty straight pull hubs designed for the purpose.
>>
File: oh god it's so dirty help.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
oh god it's so dirty help.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Oh god help me. I'm so sick of all this dirt getting up in my components.

How can I figure out if I have enough clearance for proper fendies with my fat Gatormemes?

I don't wanna give up the memes, but this shit is unbearable.
Am I fugged?
>>
File: 723111.jpg (17KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
723111.jpg
17KB, 440x440px
>>913518
That fork is too narrow for any full size fender, but you could use a set of clip-on fenders.
>>
>>913519
Do those actually work to protect my bike from dirt? I've heard /n/ say they only protect the rider (which I don't give a shit about).

My fork is more expensive than the rest of the bike combined, so they ain't no way I'm changing it, but my entire existence has become dirt and mud and I've lost control of my life.

It takes me hours to scrub every nook and cranny of my derailleurs.
>>
>>913519
>>913520
Also I have eyelets for them, so somewhere there has to be a fender that fits, right? Why would they put them there if it doesn't?

What about these? http://www.amazon.com/CRUD-RoadRacer-MK2-Road-Fenders/dp/B00435NFKA

Shelder McBrown says they'll probably fit clearance-wise (I can jam a 4mm allen key in), but this whole width thing is scaring me.
The problem is my front tire is 32c, so if anything I think those fenders will be too narrow.

Is this kind of thing DIYable at all? I'm no stranger to ghettoing up my bikes, and I refuse to believe this hasn't been done a million times before by people trying to turn their bikes into tourers.

Can't I just like, staple together some beer cans and find a way to mount it on there? What specifically is stopping me?
>>
>>913522
Crud's are awesome but they are designed for 23c / narrow 25c.
I use them myself and I can asure you you'll still get some dirt on your brakes for example if the weather is really bad.
>>
File: 34189_1_SuperSize.jpg (19KB, 700x430px) Image search: [Google]
34189_1_SuperSize.jpg
19KB, 700x430px
>>913524
I live in the Pacific Northwest.
The weather is always really bad.

What interests me is stuff like pic related, where it just bypasses the calipers entirely.

Is there anything like this that would even fit a 32mm tire?
I know I can't be the first person to need this.
>>
How can I put a rack on my bike when it has no eyelets for one? In the spring I want to do some bike camping and I'd rather not haul everything in a backpack for 40 or so miles. Any suggestions?
>>
File: 2684294504_d8d00d57ff_o.jpg (100KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2684294504_d8d00d57ff_o.jpg
100KB, 500x375px
>>913527
That one's easy.

P-clamps are the cheapest damn thing at your hardware store and they're magical.
>>
>>913528
Are there ones that are easy to add and remove? Solid enough to hold weigh of camping stuff?
>>
File: 417YR3SXgzL._SY355_.jpg (13KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
417YR3SXgzL._SY355_.jpg
13KB, 355x355px
>>913529
I'm pretty much mechanically retarded and I can do it just fine.

I've never tried to go on a tour or anything with them, but they're surprisingly robust.

If you're carrying enough weight to make them fail you've probably already fucked up your wheels and frame from that much weight.

If you're looking for something sturdier (and like way more expensive) they also sell these things that clamp to your seatpost.
It's not necessary for most people, but it sounds like you're probably carrying some serious shit.
>>
File: roaddlx.jpg (29KB, 485x500px) Image search: [Google]
roaddlx.jpg
29KB, 485x500px
>>913530
Okay I see

I'm only talking about carrying about 30-40lb, I doubt that will be enough to make anything break. Small tent, bedding, small propane stove+food and spare noncycling clothing.

I might also check this out. Road DLX, supposedly locks into the dropouts and then attaches to the break caliber bolt.
>>
There's a Miyata 610 for £50 on my local gumtree. Is that a good price?
>>
>>913531
Buy a fucking frame that has eyelets. 30-40 pounds is a lot.
>>
>>913533
How is that a lot?

If I gained 30 pounds I no longer could ride my bike?
>>
>>913534
Do you stand on your seat stays?
>>
>>913535
well that rack hooks into the dropout which holds the wheel right? So if the seat stays don't support any of the riders weight what does?
>>
>>913537
it doesn't connect to the dropout in the same way.
if it doesn't have eyelets, you're putting stress on parts of the frame that weren't supposed to hold weight.
it'll get really flexy and uncomfortable.

look into some old man mountain racks.
they connect to your axle and provide a more rigid platform
>>
>>913517
How come high flanged IGH like rohloff or nuvinci, or electric hubs are okay with 2x or 1x max even?
>>
File: IMG_20160112_083605977.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_083605977.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>913470
>>913448
I lubed the fuck out of the shifter and it still won't "click". I'm pretty sure I need a new shifter but this one's old and looking around a bit I can't find this exact shifter. Pic related is what the shifter looks like, shimano three speed. How interchangeable are shifters? Can I just get a different three speed shifter or should I contact shimano and see if they can find a replacement?
>>
>>913554
Since you did watch a video why not do it yourself. What home mechanic doesnt have degreaser... its not that difficult. https://youtu.be/YGyEbByO3xc
>>
File: 1335551750105.jpg (443KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1335551750105.jpg
443KB, 1536x2048px
hey guys,
I'm working a 1x9 commuter.
it's my first geared bike to be honest.
I'm setting up the rear derailure right now and the smallest cog keeps jumping and rattling ,regardless of the limit screw.
I used a cassette lockring from a 7 speed cassette , could that be the problem ?
>>
>>913554
Since you repeatedly feel you are above diagnostics, and too lazy to do anything but demand a simple fix, just buy a new fucking bike faggot.
>>
File: 2014-10-29-001-011.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-10-29-001-011.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>913525
If you can fit a 4mm allen key in, I'd go ahead and order some standard fenders and see if they'll fit your fork. I've run 35mm tires under both standard SKS and Planet Bike road fenders, so they'll definitely handle your 32s. If it turns out the fork is too narrow for the fenders, you can do a modification as pictured here.

>>913532
If it's in decent shape that price would be a steal where I live.

>>913569
What is jumping, the cog or the chain?

If the cog is moving around on the freewheel body (the rest of the cassette would be sliding a little too) then the problem is likely that you've put a 9-sp cassette on an 11-sp compatible freehub body, in which case you'd need to add a 2.8mm spacer.

If the chain, first, make sure when you're setting the limit screw that there's no tension on the derailer cable that's blocking the derailer's range of motion, that's a common mistake. Report back after trying that.

>>913554
Given the age of that shifter, I would not be surprised if it was worn beyond use at this point. Shimano triple front shifters are interchangeable with the exception of 'road triple' shifters made in the past few years.
>>
>>913581

derailure guy here,
limiscrew adjustments have been done without cabletension (after doing it wrong yesterday)

it's the chain , it's noisy when i pedel lightly and starts skipping , as if it was about to switch gear when I pedal harder.

also
when shifting the chain skips gears while going up , but usually not when going down.
that's improper cable tension , right ?
>>
>>913192
Damn, that *is* a nice bike.
>>
Which one should I get /n/?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/France-Brand-New-Logo795-Road-bike-Aerolight-3K-or-UD-carbon-fiber-bicycle-Frame-Frame-Seatpost/32375121102.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.80.wt38Hr&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201644_5_10001_10002_10005_10006_10003_10004_9977_62,searchweb201560_8,searchweb1451318400_6149#feedback

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Popular-C6-carbon-frame-Road-Bike-cadre-velo-carbone-T1000-cuadro-carbono-carretera-size-49-58cm/32577668942.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.66.wt38Hr&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_2,searchweb201644_5_10001_10002_10005_10006_10003_10004_9977_62,searchweb201560_8,searchweb1451318400_6149
>>
not sure
>>
>>913625
Don't buy from Ali.

LOOK is 100% fake, no, it's not the original factory, no it's not the same molds, it's a crudely reverse engineered counterfeit that is basically a Lolex. LOOKs are made in either France or Africa, not China.

Same goes for the S-Works. Fake, the real is made in Taiwan by Merida. Merida has no reason to sell gray market Specialized because Merida owns 49% of Specialized. Like LOOK, this basically means Specialized has their own dedicated facilities, they don't subcontract. Merida is not going to undermine their Specialized sales by selling fake Specialized biked. Specialized also was the one that did the article on counterfeits.

Also, Aliexpress protection is shit.
>>
>>913625
if you know about the fakeness and all that , I'd take the look
that shit is fire.
>>
File: 6137tNKc9bL._SL1500_.jpg (81KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
6137tNKc9bL._SL1500_.jpg
81KB, 1500x1500px
>>913581
I actually have a pair of retardedly wide Planet Bikes sitting around right now. I wanna say they're 60mm.

If I'm gonna cut and mount fenders around the brakes, wouldn't these wide ones offer even more protection than ones that fit snugly?
Is there any benefit to having fenders twice as wide as your wheels, or would this actually hurt it?
Wouldn't they deflect even more water?

I guess I'm just wondering if the only reason people keep their fenders so thin is because they have issues getting it to fit through, or if there's more to it than that.
>>
Whats cycling kit from aliexpress like?
>>
>>913655
It varies. There was one Chinese brand I liked, but I can't find them anymore. I bought something that looks almost the same, to my disappointment, they're made worse and baggier.
>>
Just bought a brand new bike, ~700 dollaroonies, and having ridden it 4 times in total, ive noticed that the chain drops when shifting into the small ring, the big ring clicks in every gear, the rear cassette skips gears and sometimes doesn't even make the switch from 3 to 4, and sometimes I cant even switch into the big ring without having to smash the lever a couple of times.

I know these are all *fixable* problems, but that's not really what im after here. I had the bike for maybe a week, and it is operating poorly for a brand new bike. I'm going to take it back to the local bike shop that I bought it from and ask for them to fix it free of charge for me, having just patronized them and being sold a product below my expectations of the price point.

What i'm really asking here is that am I justified in asking for them to fix it free of charge? I feel pretty angry that the bike is functioning so poorly considering I went out of my way to purchase a brand new bike.
>>
>>913733
If you have ridden it, they will most likely not take a return. Most shops offer the first gear and brake tune-up for free. My local shop does gears and brakes for free for life.
When (if) you ever decide to shop for a new bike, be sure to ask all the shops about what services, warranties, etc are included with the bike because that's what the shop is there for.
>>
>>913532
Get it - that's ridiculously cheap for a six ten
is it your size and in good shape ? totally lucky if so.
>>
>>913733
They should happily tune it up for free. It sounds like it only needs some very basic adjustments.
>>
File: DSC05295 - Copy.jpg (768KB, 1965x1306px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05295 - Copy.jpg
768KB, 1965x1306px
>>912069
Am I dead?
>>
>>913759

Yes
>>
>>913733
Yes, all of those things sound like issues that should have been resolved/prevented before the bike was sold. If they don't fix them, demand your money back and leave the bike there.

>>913651
Using wider fenders then necessary generally isn't done because it means more weight and clearance issues - having fenders that more closely follow the contours of the tire will catch more spray (think shallow bowl vs. deeper bowl), but it's not a huge difference. Since the wider fenders are what you've got, they'll do just fine, it's not worth spending more for a very slight difference in performance.

>>913759
I wouldn't risk riding on those myself.
>>
File: 1393789194950.jpg (11KB, 277x329px) Image search: [Google]
1393789194950.jpg
11KB, 277x329px
>>913761
>>913764
Fuck
>>
>>913759
Im so sorry anon, that is rough

On the bright side, time to go shopping for new shit
>>
>>913759
cx bike?
>>
>>913779
Yes

>>913774
I just sent an email to see if I can get a replacement.
>>
>>913733
>sometimes I cant even switch into the big ring without having to smash the lever a couple of times.

That happens to my bike even after the shop gave it a service.

What I have to do is stop pedalling, push the lever in and it the chain moves to the big ring instantly. if I'm pedalling whilst changing it fucks up.
>>
>>913827

That's not supposed to happen, you know.
>>
>>913835
I know but I can't fucking work out what is causing it. I've fiddled to no end with the front derailleur and it makes no difference, maybe it's the shifter itself?

Anyway I need to buy some winter gloves, are winter gloves breathable? I don't want to get some and then find out they're too hot. Waterproof ones btw.
>>
>>913655
varies hugely from vendor to vendor, and an unfortunate problem is that vendors rarely continue for more than a few months under the same name. some of them make slim, aggressively cut kit for the chinese domestic market and others make big, baggy garbage for frog-leg-stuffed europeans. the real risk is that you won't be able to return whatever you buy because shipping will cost more than the item. ask the vendor for actual timestamped pictures because sometimes they steal photos from each other. there's a huge range of quality in materials, printing, construction and cuts. but if you have an average body type you'll probably find something that works for you without too much trouble. if you find a manufacturer that fits you well, stick with them. you're rolling the dice, but you can still roll the dice 3 or 4 times before you end up paying the cost of an authentic castelli kit or whatever

>>913628
>LOOKs are made in either France or Africa, not China.
I'd rather have a chinese made frame than an african made frame desu

you're right that the vast majority of aliexpress frames are reverse engineered counterfeits, but there are some genuinely acceptable "open mold" frames on there. usually, however, those aren't the ones painted to look like certain brands, they're just left blank or painted as some chinese brand. a lot of giants, for example, are made on these molds. just do your research and don't trust an article from specialized -- they have an interest in portraying fake frames negatively (that is, they would be likely to pick a bad frame to compare against their own)

and protection is shit (because it's cost prohibitive to ship it back), you just have to get something cheap enough that it doesn't matter. if it arrives broken you can always contest it with your credit card
>>
>>913733
>>913733
these are all big problems. not even problems that should be fixed in a free tune up but problems that should have been fixed before it was even sold. if it's brand new that makes it even worse. the shop mechanic probably fucked it up (speaking as a shop mechanic), and they need to make it right at no cost to you. if it's broken, maybe it needs to be fixed under warranty, but it's more likely that it was set up poorly, rather than both shifters/derailleurs going bad this quickly. I find it hard to believe these problems didn't come up on a test ride (and if you didn't take one, there's your mistake) but it's still the shop's problem, not yours. take it in and tell them (don't ask them) to make it right, if they're not complete pieces of shit they'll fix it, and if they are then you can start complaining to managers/corporate/the BBB/the municipal business council/facebook/twitter/the news/etc

>>913759
looks to be that way, don't even try to fix it or work around it. that's a very high stress area on the frame and if you take it out and put some power down, the entire frame is going to buckle under you. rest in peace.

>>913866
could be the shifters, could be the derailleur, could be the cable. the chain itself shouldn't actually move while you're not pedaling. did you mean it moves over once you start pedaling again?
>>
>>913872
>did you mean it moves over once you start pedaling again?

I did yes. If I shift from the 2nd to 3rd chainriing whilst pedalling it makes an awful noise and refuses to move over. If I stop pedalling, shift, then continue it goes to the 3rd chainring easily.
>>
>>913873
I'm afraid I don't know exactly what could be causing it without having it in front of me and troubleshooting it, but it sounds to me like the problem lies with the derailleur. how old is it? could the return spring be old or worn?
>>
>>913876
New, and has been like that since I bought it new.

I have done a lot of riding on it, but I dunno.
>>
>>913827
>>913873
Can you take pictures? One looking down on your FD, the other from the side would be best.
>>
>>913878
Just took some photos on my mum's phone then the battery ran out. Give me an hour or so and I'll upload them.
>>
My drivetrain clicks on every revolution. After careful examination, cleaning and a lot of headbanging against the wall, I've determined that the noise is coming from the upper jockey wheel on my RD (Campy Veloce). It moves about 1mm side to side every time I pedal, which I don't remember it doing before, when I bought it new. I tried tightening it but it's as tight as it can.

Is this tiny lateral movement normal? Should I grease it or something?
>>
>>913886
That lateral motion is normal, it allows the chain to more easily locate the next cog when you shift. If the noise is actually coming from there, I would expect that there's a little bit of grit trapped inside the pulley.
>>
>>913877
if it's been like that since new take it back to the shop. I would have taken it back day one but they should still take a look at it, hopefully for free, and at the very least tell you what's wrong with it
>>
>>913890
It's been to long and the shop is shit, I'd have to pay for it properly.

Honestly, I can't even remember if I did have this problem after they serviced it initially, or whether it popped up later. I don't want to to take it in only to discover it was something I did.

Would rather learn how to fix it myself anyway.
>>
>>913871
Giants are not open mold
>>
>>913871
Also there is nothing wrong with frames made in Africa. They made lots of composites in Africa before it was a mass production industry. Lotuses were made in South Africa, Looks are made in Tunesie, which was a former French colony.
>>
so my rear tire blew up when i switched from 700c 28 " 32 mm to same but 35 mm outer tires

so i got "universal size"700c inner tube and i tried it like 3 times and every time one side towards the inflation point (french) is noticeably heavier when i spin the wheel by holding the seat post in my hand or just let it fall by itself by gravity right

so is this normal or i am doing something wrong
(wasnt like this when the inner tube was for 32 mm before it blew up)
>>
hey /n/ I just bought a De Bernardi Zonal road bike off of craigslist
A lbs told me that the guy actually used a cleat bolt for a quick bodge
Any luck finding a new derailleur hanger?
>>
File: IMG_1271.jpg (523KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1271.jpg
523KB, 1632x1224px
>>913978
whoops forgot pic
Here is the hanger
>>
>>913979
try chain reaction, they sell brand-x ones for a variety of models for <$10

If not, you'll have to shell out $40~ on one of the sites that specializes in replacement hangers, or a dealer who sells the brand of bike you have (which might be hard with a niche name like Zonal)
>>
>>913982
thanks man
>>
>>913983
n/p
>>
>>913982
http://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hangers/2-fasteners-derailleur-hangers/derailleur-hanger-90.html
looks like this is the closest bet
Kind of a shame but right now I'm forced to lock out a gear which is awful
>>
>>913987
looks like it, def check on the site's return policy, and see if there are any relevant measurements available.
>>
>>913988
good idea
>>
Is this the correct thread to find suggestions from craigslist?

Looking at these three bikes, are they worth it? If so, which one should I go for? I'm just looking for a starter road bike. I'd be okay with waiting if none of these things are good deals.
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/5401061090.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/5391503338.html
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/5391436594.html
>>
>>913990
Talk the trek guy down a bit and I'd say it's the frontrunner
you're looking for
/BBG/ (buy bike general) tho
>>
>>913991

Seems like nobody has bothered to make a new one in a while
>>
>>913993
so make one, your post will get the most attention that way anyways.
>>
Anyone else using Avid BB7 brakes? They seem cheap as fuck, the arm where the cable connects makes a rattle noise when I ride. They feel crappy compared to my old XT hydraulics.
>>
What the hell is the difference between an 'endurance' road bike and a 'fondo' road bike?
>>
>>913996
try tightening the bolt on the arm?
>>
>>913997
>what is google
http://www.bikeroar.com/articles/what-is-a-gran-fondo-or-endurance-road-bike
>>
>>913996
>mechanical one sided piston disks feel worse than hydraulics
You don't say
>>
Hey /n/, thinking about buying cannondale quick cx 1. What do you guys think?

>$780
>>
>>914042
It looks suspiciously like a hybrid, but the price is at least good compared to what's listed on the website.

That said the shock has lockout and it's got rackmounts so it looks like a fine commuter.
>>
>>914044
Sorry, I'm newish to bikes. Can you explain why hybrids are to be avoided?
>>
>>914046
It's a bit of a jack of all trades and from what I understand shocks on bikes like that are basically dead weight. Also drop bars > flats for non-technical riding in a lot of situations.

Personally I'd choose some kind of CX/gravel/adventure bike instead of that, but if you've ridden it and liked it, don't let me put you off.
>>
>>913901
I don't really understand your problem from the description, but if your wheel has a heavy spot, it's much more likely that the wheel is out of (radial) true and you just hadn't noticed before.

>>913990
These three are actually quite similar aside from the cosmetics, any of them would make a fine starter road bike and are priced reasonably. The only downside to the Moto, which is the least expensive, is it has slightly-less-desireable shifters but I wouldn't consider that a dealbreaker.

>>914042
>>914046
Hybrids are generally looked down upon because they don't do anything well, and suspension is really superfluous on a bike that's meant for smooth surfaces.

That said, the Quick and similar hybrids (every brand has at least one) are fine general-use or commuting bikes, and although they seem pricey from the perspective of bike obsessives who are used to cobbling similar bikes for $50 with parts from the 90's, if you're new to cycling it's not unreasonable to spend that kind of money at a bike shop, since the price typically includes warantees, and it gives you access to the in-person advice that the shop provides (remember, the internet can't fix your bike, and isn't very good about knowing about local routes and events).

>>913997
Unique branding helps consumers differentiate between products in a crowded marketplace.
>>
>>914058
>if your wheel has a heavy spot, it's much more likely that the wheel is out of (radial) true and you just hadn't noticed before.
>being a literal retard

I bet you work at a bike shop
>>
>>914067
not him but please calm down
>>
>>912069
I am on the look for new hubs for my bike (mostly XC, I use it in the town as well), i have no idea what to get, need something mid-class, 36h, disc
>>
>>913998
You can't because it adjusts the distance between the pad and rotor.
>>914004
I was prepared for a downgrade. But the rattle noise just makes it agitating. I never liked the mess of dealing with mineral oil.
>>
Oh god help me /n/.

How to prevent trench foot.

I haven't even been touring or anything, but my feet are starting to look even worse than pic related. My life is agony.

Are there ANY biking shoes that don't suck up water like a sponge?
Alternative question: can you still bike if you have both feet amputated?
>>
Why is the Long Haul Trucker so expensive considering the components are mostly shit? Is it just due to the frame?
>>
How do I ensure I'm not buying a stolen bike from cl?
>>
>>914137
Don't buy a bike off cl?
>>
>>914130
>trench foot
That's hardcore, but are you sure your problem isn't chillblains?

First thing to do is to make sure you're changing socks regularly and allowing your feet to dry completely on a regular basis. Second, there are a variety of winter bike shoes on the market these days, I have a pretty cheap pair of Diadora winter cleats myself and I've never, ever gotten water in them even when having to walk through deep snowdrifts.

>>914132
Plenty of people are willing to pay that much, apparently.

>>914077
Deore hubs are fine.

>>914137
You can generally tell from the context of the sale whether a bike is stolen or not: if a bike has been hastily spraypainted, the seller doesn't know anything about it, or wants to meet in a public place but doesn't introduce themselves, those are all potential red flags.
>>
>>914152
Is the LHT frame good though?
>>
where do you guys clean your bike during winter?
Right now it's like -15 C here so I can't just go outside and do it
I store it in my garage right now where it's a couple degrees above zero. I wash the drivetrain off with hot water after every ride but It's still kinda dirty everywhere. Just came back from a vacation and noticed there's a lot of rust on the chain too, but I can clean that off in the garage.

You guys just take it to the shop?
>>
File: 20160114_131424.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160114_131424.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
The fuck is this hub and how do i service it? Google doesn't give me anything
>>
>>914100
for some reason i thought u were talking about a v-brake
>>
>>914154
It's not a bad frame, but there's nothing really special about it either.

>>914157
During winter I just focus on keeping moving/vulnerable bits as clean as possible and look forward to doing an overhaul and deep clean when warm weather returns. For chains, the best option during wet and cold winter weather to is to get your chain as clean as possible (taking the chain off the bike and soaking it in a jar of kerosene is ideal for chains that have developed some surface rust), let it dry, apply wet-weather lube slightly more liberally than normal, then it wipe clean of grit between rides, cleaning with a solvent and re-lubing occasionally.

>>914159
see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YlyKO8iQ9Q
>>
>>914154
Yeah, it does exactly what it's designed to do: carry you and a household of shit across a continent while still being very stable. I don't think that the complete version is that bad for $1,300. If you're really savvy, you can build up a LHT frameset for that price, I guess, but it'll mean buying some used shit. Or you could save a few hundo and get a Novara Safari. Or spend a few hundo more and start with a Bob Jackson World Tour frameset. Or retrogrouch the fuck out on a Terk 720 or Miyata 615 or 1000.

However, the LHT is total overkill for commuting, where you're better served with something more responsive and less stiff. The LHT is designed to carry tons of shit. unless you're a fatass, you might find a LHT too stiff for lightly-loaded rides.

>>914130
Wear thin wool socks. Waterproof shoes trap perspiration so take that into account. If you're on a long ride and are going to take a rest for more than 15 minutes, take your shoes and socks off to let them dry up a little bit. Or change socks. Use a topical like Bonnies Balms Healing Salve.

I guess you could chop your feet off and get them replaced with units that directly interface with the crank.
>>
>>912264
dis niga must be jokin
>>
thread past bump limit
>>
>>914195
>I don't think that the complete version is that bad for $1,300.

It's using cheapo hybrid-tier components though, just wondering where all the fucking money is going.

Just planning out a touring bicycle to save up for, think I should just get a LHT frame and build a better bike with it.
>>
File: 1187409416_00c1c913fd_b.jpg (549KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
1187409416_00c1c913fd_b.jpg
549KB, 1024x681px
>>914152
>>914195
I'm sure it's not chilblains cause it's not really that cold at all. We're talking 40°F at the coldest

It's more "warm water immersion foot" than full on trench foot, but that's a pretty finicky distinction to make, and I don't think anybody knows where one ends and the other begins.

I'm considering just packing a spare pair of socks and shoes in a waterproof bag so that I can change mid-ride.

I have naturally sweaty feet thanks to thyroid issues, so it'd probably be a horrible idea to keep it locked in. I guess I never considered that moisture goes both ways.

I kinda wish my feet would fall off so I could get in on some of this action
ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the_new_bionics_that_let_us_run_climb_and_dance
>>
>>914198
One thing I forgot to mention is that the LHT doesn't have a kickstand plate, and having a kickstand is pretty nice on a fully-loaded touring bike. You can install a kickstand on a frame without a plate, but there's more risk of fucking the chainstays.

A very good alternative to the LHT is a Velo Orange Campeur. However, it's a retrogrouch frame, so it is designed to work with with 1" quill stems. Not a big deal, just a quirk.
>>
>>914206
Not sure I'd trust a kickstand on a fully loaded touring bike desu
>>
File: double kickstand desu.jpg (425KB, 3556x1000px) Image search: [Google]
double kickstand desu.jpg
425KB, 3556x1000px
>>914207
I would desu wa yo.
>>
>>914214
Any other options apart from the velo orange one?
>>
File: fred002.gif (21KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fred002.gif
21KB, 500x500px
What are good sites for the latest in cycling?
>>
>>913886
>campy
Found the problem
>>
>>914223
Soma Saga. They have rim brake and disk brake versions. Salsa Marrakesh, maybe...it's a bit pricier than the Soma, Surly, and VO frames for some reason. The Bob Jackson World Tour I mentioned earlier, although it's close to $1K for the frameset alone.
>>
>>914207
>loading a touring bike without a kickstand
>>
>>914223
In addition to the frames >>914237 mentioned, the Salsa Vaya and Fargo and really nice.

There's a wide variety of touring bikes available: http://www.cyclingabout.com/a-complete-list-of-touring-bicycle-manufacturers-with-prices/
>>
>>914189
Thanks.
So zero grease goes in there?
>>
took my bike to the shop to get my limit screws readjusted after it was all fucked up after I bought it like a week ago, but the chain still clicks in EVERY GEAR on the big ring. Why is this? Its a claris by the way
>>
>>914854

>>>/n/bqg/

you need to describe exactly WHAT is clicking (derailleur? chain? chainring? cassette?), in the new thread.
>>
This thread got bumped in the catalog again, weird...

>>914854
Clicking in every gear probably means that there's slightly too much/little tension on the cable (if you look at the derailer directly from the rear you'll see it's slightly out of alignment left/right relative the cogs) and can be fixed with a small twist in the appropriate direction on a barrel adjuster.

If adjusting your cable doesn't solve the problem, the usual issue after that is a derailer hanger that's bent out of alignment.

>>914349
Not sure what you're referring to, but if you're the guy with the hub, there's no greasing involved if your hub takes cartridge bearings.
>>
The weather here recently has been appauling (UK) and my brakes have been really suffering, i've been finding they've been shitting themselves and leaving the residue on my rims. Granted these are the ones that came with the bike though... Any recommendations for new break blocks?
>>
>>914947
the a/n/swer is Kool Stop Salmons.
>>
>>915002
Given a couple hours of googling i've turned up on swissstop flash pro BXP pads, reviews (on wiggle) seem to indicate they're pretty decent, ye?
>>
>>915005
no experience. probably more people will see your question if you post in the more current thread, this one's not bumping anymore
>>914280

I'd google for reviews comparing to KSS and then take their respective prices into consideration.
>>
>>912069
Pedestrian here, why the hell would anyone bike in the city? Bikes make perfect sense in towns with empty streets and sidewalks, but why would you bike in the city, where you're a hazard to pedestrians and a liability to drivers?

Also, what should I look for when buying a decent cheap bike? Chances are I'll be in chicago next year, so I'm basically expecting the thing to get stolen at some point.
>>
File: 1429496111757.png (10KB, 420x444px) Image search: [Google]
1429496111757.png
10KB, 420x444px
>>914903
Yeah I'm the hub guy
Thanks for the help
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.