[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wtf is this bit called?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

File: 20160104_0910333.jpg (371KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160104_0910333.jpg
371KB, 1600x900px
So I broke my bike by breaking and accelerating on it at the same time. Now the wheel is all wobbly and the bar that I circled in pic, which used to be attached to frame where arrow is pointing came off and is all bent now.

I need to know what it is called so i can get a new one.

Can anyone help me out with what it is?
>>
it breaks by pedaling backwards btw
>>
Could you post a pic of the whole drivechain/brake system?
How could you accelerate while braking if you have to pedal backwards to brake?
>>
File: 20160104_094017.jpg (269KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160104_094017.jpg
269KB, 1600x900px
>>
File: 20160104_094005.jpg (159KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20160104_094005.jpg
159KB, 900x1600px
its making me wait i have 2 more after this

>>911694
i accelerate by pulling throttle back.
>>
File: 20160104_094237.jpg (249KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160104_094237.jpg
249KB, 1600x900px
>>
File: 20160104_094249.jpg (239KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160104_094249.jpg
239KB, 1600x900px
other side of bike but i think this side isnt important.
>>
>>911696
so in that pic you can see most of the bar that im talking about and how it bends now at the top where the bolt broke.

the wheel wobbles side to side now and i need to get a new bar to attach it back to the fram with a new bolt. But I dunno what it is called so I cant find it to buy it.
>>
>>911692
That is all customized. Bikes dont have anything there m8. It was added. You gonna have to fabricate a new one.
>>
>>911701
well why is my wheel all wobbly thne =( if that isnt a normal thing for a bike to have then cant i just take it off? why would it break if it doesnt do anything?
>>
posting in a bait thread
>>
That is not a bike, it's a fucking abomination. It's good that it broke, now you can get one that doesn't pollute the air and makes a shitload of noise. Seriously how lazy can you be? Why do you need a combustion engine on a bicycle? At least get an E-Bike if you hate pedaling so much.
>>
>buy bike
>im too lazy 2 pedal xD
just neck yourself faggot
>>
>>911703
>>911704
>>911705
i just need help... go back to /b/ if you are just going to be mean.

i dont mind pedaling at all, in fact i rarely used the motor except on long straight areas like highways. I dont even care if the motor works, i just want the wheel to stop wobbling.
>>
File: stop.jpg (54KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
54KB, 600x600px
>>911702
dont know why your wheel wobbles. like i said, its all custom work. you know more than any of use would. if that top bar thing is loose go get some JBWeld or a fuck load of wire and attach it to the frame.

>>911704
>pic related
>>
>>911706
>i cant deal with being told i'm a retard go back 2 /b/ fagot!!!!111
lol
>>
>>911708
you are a pretty lazy troll at least show some effort in your ignorance.

>>911707
thanks for trying i spose

guess ill just bend the fker back into shape and hope all goes well.

do you guys have to deal with these retarded kids all the time? how do you get anything done with these dumb asses here?
>>911708
>>911705
>>911704
>>911703
Do they stick around to try and pretend to be smart?
>>
>>911710
JUst bend the bar back and put a bolt through the hole in the bar and the slot on the bike frame. I googled coaster hub fix and found some videos. I didn't watch them but im sure theres some more info than you already know in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x28XzNg-AA
>>
>>911712
it does, so i think i found it, its called a coaster break arm.

thank you ^^
>>
>>911718
aka a reaction arm, without which the brakes wont function properly.
>>
Stick to the general, dumb cunt.
>>
>post using girls name
>gets upset no one white knights here
What is this, /soc/ or some normiefag shit?
>>
File: brakearm_coaster.jpg (71KB, 216x275px) Image search: [Google]
brakearm_coaster.jpg
71KB, 216x275px
without unbolting the wheel, move the brake arm (the part you circled on your photo) counter clockwise (the same direction the chain moves if you pedal forward) until it the hole lines up with the bracket (where the arrow is on your photo) and fasten them together with a screw and a nut.

It may take some force to move the brake arm. Wear safety gloves. If the arm doesn't seem to move, try a hitting it softly with a hammer, but don't bend it.

You should go to a bike shop if
- the wheel still wobbles a lot
- the wheel no longer turns
- you cannot line up the brake arm and frame strap
>>
>>911700
>the wheel wobbles side to side now and i need to get a new bar to attach it back to the fram with a new bolt. But I dunno what it is called so I cant find it to buy it.
Your coaster brake arm bolt came out, and the coaster brake arm rotated around the rear axle from you using the brake. The bolt may have just worked loose and fallen out; get a nylon locking nut & bolt next time. Also use a washer so the bolt can't fall through that mounting bracket....

The reason the wheel is all wobbly is that when the brake arm came loose it may have partly loosened one of the bearing cones.
So you need to snug the bearing cones down again (until you feel the bearings rumble when the wheel is spun) and then you back them off 1/8th turn. You want the wheel to spin freely (with no bearing rumbling) but not be loose side-to-side.

You also might take the bearings out and re-grease the coaster brake shoes. Coaster brakes aren't a good idea for a motorized bike, since you may rest your feet on the pedals while motoring and inadvertently press a bit backwards on the brake. Coaster brakes heat up a LOT very fast, and take a long time to cool down. It is easy to melt the grease out of them. When they are dry (have no grease) they grab way more than they should.

Do note: cheap bikes aren't made real rugged, and putting a motor on them puts about 5X as much power as your own pedaling would have.
The wheel may be already worn to where the bearings can't be adjusted real well anymore.
I'm not telling you to not use a motor, just saying.

In particular--if you want to build a motorized bicycle like this, you are better off using a steel frame. The aluminum frames are more susceptible to cracking.
>>
>>911770
>The reason the wheel is all wobbly is that when the brake arm came loose it may have partly loosened one of the bearing cones.
Yes
If you are lucky the left bearing cone may to back to the proper position when you rotate the brake arm back into alignment with the bracket.
Also
Bolt with a nylon locking nut, or a bolt, washers, a lock-ring, and a nut are a very good idea.
If you're uncomfortable with this then let a bike shop fix it.
Coaster brakes are notorious for fading (over heating and then not braking very well) and not being easy to control (skidding when you don't want to).
>>
File: ebike_gt-s210-electric-bike.jpg (38KB, 800x513px) Image search: [Google]
ebike_gt-s210-electric-bike.jpg
38KB, 800x513px
OT: There should be no e-bikes.
I would rather see small electric motorcycles derived from larger motorcycle designs.
Bicycles are not designed for the power or weight of a large motor. The handling and brakes are not well suited, making a bicycle to e-bike conversion less safe than a scaled-down electric motorcycle.
>>
>>911706
Go back to reddit if you can't deal with people being mean
>>
File: unclegrampa_48je33.jpg (25KB, 400x348px) Image search: [Google]
unclegrampa_48je33.jpg
25KB, 400x348px
>>911774
>OT: There should be no e-bikes.
>I would rather see small electric motorcycles derived from larger motorcycle designs.
ummm,, you DO know that motorcycles originated from motorized bicycles, right?

besides, a motorcycle is not a bicycle, at all.
I'd like the idea of a bicycle that was smooth, quiet, only 10-20 lbs heavier and had a ~700-watt motor but that could also be pedaled the same any time you wanted. Currently, e-bikes are closer to that reality than gas-engined bicycles are. The shortcoming of e-bikes is still the ranges possible.

The problem is that (in the USA) there's no defining motor vehicle laws for such a thing. So no companies are trying to improve gas engine kits much, since there's no large defined market.
>>
>>911774
>Bicycles are not designed for the power or weight of a large motor.
>weight
That's such a stupid argument.
How does a motor and batteries weigh more than the average gear carried while touring?
Or is carrying anything more than a water bottle also dangerous?
>>
>>911841
Not everyone carries 50kg of luggage and touring bikes are built for extra weight
>>
>>911842
>Not everyone carries 50kg of luggage
I should hope not: there wouldn't be any survivors.
If a motor and battery was dangerous, carrying luggage would be a death sentence.

>Bicycles are not designed for the power or weight of a large motor.
So you mean "some of the lightest bicycles are not designed for the power or weight of a large motor."
>>
>>911842
My electrically assisted bike weighs 24kg, it's full suspension and weighed I think 14kg before the conversion. The extra weight isn't an issue at all, and even being an aluminium frame it handles the power fine (a little over 700w on a freshly charged battery).
>>
>>911774
bikes with added motors (like this one) tend to be disgustingly unsafe, whether they're electric or combustion
you're right that
>the handling and brakes are not well suited
and that
>bicycle to e-bike conversion less safe
but e-bikes aren't inherently unsafe, only shitty jobs like this one performed by a mexican in his garage and sold to a fat, lazy retard with no mechanical knowledge
purpose-built electric bikes tend to have stronger/thicker/heavier frames, beefed up components all around (bars, stems, seatposts, etc), which is fine because e-bikes don't have to be built to be lightweight

I think you might be surprised by how much a scooter like the one you linked actually resembles a bicycle
if you removed the fairings, mirrors, non-structural body pieces, seat, and trunk thing, you'd have what is essentially a very beefy stepthrough frame
you can have a suspension, batteries, motors, controls, disc brakes, lights, etc. just like you would on a bicycle, it's just all in a different package with slightly different geometry, but the principles are the same

personally I have to wonder if it would be worth it to have mopeds like the one you posted though. my opinion is that they have many of the disadvantages of a gasoline vehicle (weight, cost, safety, size, energy demand, etc.) while offering very few benefits over a nicely equipped city bicycle
>>
>>911841
If you combine a cheap e-kit using SLAs, and combine that with the fact that the rider is probably fat and lazy, the extra weight can certainly put undue stress of parts like the spokes, and cause wheels to come out of true more quickly, just like putting a really obese person on a bicycle.
>>
>>911862
Except an obese person wouldn't produce 700w and go 30mph.
>>
>>911841
I'd totally put a motor on a high-quality touring bike with well-built, 36-spoke wheels (or even 40-spoke wheels for a tandem). Also some quality tires rated for both the load and the speed.

I'd be really skeptical of a gas engine on a coaster-brake-equipped department store bike with shite wobbly wheels, ridden by a lardass who probably can't tell the difference between NAS bolt and a chinesium one from Home Depot.
>>
>>911868
>Abusing SI prefixes and unit symbols
At least obese people can read the SI Brochure.
>>
>>911896
>chinesium

>right-click
>add to dictionary
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.