[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you /n/egros feel about pedal cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 5

How do you /n/egros feel about pedal cars
>>
>>911056
Look up velomobiles or the recumbent thread, they're full of them.
>>
File: 1446237960407.png (2MB, 3677x2321px) Image search: [Google]
1446237960407.png
2MB, 3677x2321px
>>911056
>>
File: landskiff-verkleidet_u71044m4y.jpg (212KB, 600x430px) Image search: [Google]
landskiff-verkleidet_u71044m4y.jpg
212KB, 600x430px
>>911056
Generally they are thought to be too heavy and un-aerodynamic to work well.

One company is working on a 4-wheel velo at the moment-
http://en.velomobiel.nl/quattrovelo/maatschets.php
It is considered to be the only 'serious' attempt in recent years.

The main reason relates to a handling property of tadpole trikes.
The overall engineering for a tadpole wheel arrangement (2 wheels in front) is easier than a delta trike but there is one major problem. With tadpole velos if you suffer a rear flat tire at high speed, there is about a 99.5% chance that you will wipe out & roll over.
The 4-wheel velo is mainly trying to address this issue.

There have been some commendable attempts in the past (pic related). Many of these weren't really built to be only pedal-powered, and they had a small engine or motor to help, due to the weight of the vehicle.
>>
>>911076
>With tadpole velos if you suffer a rear flat tire at high speed, there is about a 99.5% chance that you will wipe out & roll over.
Can you explain how that works ?
>>
File: cyclecarbig[1].jpg (85KB, 492x394px) Image search: [Google]
cyclecarbig[1].jpg
85KB, 492x394px
i feel like these should be popular in hipster towns
>>
>>911056
>plastic wheels
That's not 'transportation', it's a shitty toy.
0/10
>>
>>911084
I don't get these things
> too slow to be on road
> too large to be on sidewalk or bike path
>>
File: propeller_car_leyat_helica.jpg (17KB, 380x228px) Image search: [Google]
propeller_car_leyat_helica.jpg
17KB, 380x228px
>>911083
>Can you explain how that works ?
I don't have a trike or a velo, so it hasn't been my problem--but owners talk of it on pertinent forums. Some even go so far as to advise new owners that (paraphrasing) 'you can use any tires you want on the fronts, but the rear tire needs to be fairly puncture-resistant'.

Most tadpole trikes and velomobiles are set up to split the weight basically equally between all three wheels. This gives the best combination of cornering and drive wheel slip characteristics you want for normal riding, but this means that the center of gravity is about 1/3 of the wheelbase behind the front wheel axles.
Tadpole trikes will jackknife with a rear flat tire but not nearly as bad as velos will. So I would guess it has something to do with the aerodynamics of the huge noses that velos have and the higher speeds that they run at.

Delta trikes (with two wheels in the rear) don't seem to suffer the issue, with either a front or a rear tire. And tadpole trikes and velos that suffer a FRONT flat tire usually have no problems with just slowing to a stop.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.