[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best bike for getting fit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

File: trans-fat-1.jpg (413KB, 1000x931px) Image search: [Google]
trans-fat-1.jpg
413KB, 1000x931px
What's the best bike for getting fit?
>>
>>910886
The one who ride regularly for significant periods of time. More than ten or twenty minutes. You won't get swole, but you will progressively be able to ride your bike for longer periods of time. If you want to become swole you should go to /fit/ and read the sticky
>>
File: MTE5NDg0MDU1MTI5NDU4MTkx.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NDg0MDU1MTI5NDU4MTkx.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>910890
So geometry, weight, stance, and resistance has no effect on fitness? As long as you ride the little kiddie tricycle for 20 whole minutes you're good senpai?

How about we pretend for a second that all effort is equal and we don't be lazy with our answers. What bike would be the best bang for the physique?
>>
flat bar road bike.

fast, stable, efficient, comfortable, adaptable, attractive to the ladies.

flat bar road bike.
>>
>>910894
This.
>>
>>910894
>road bike
>flat bar
Leave /n/
>>
The best bike to get fit on is the bike you have the most fun on, and therefore will easily spend the most time on pushing yourself. All other considerations are virtually meaningless in comparison.

This, of course, is heavily controlled by individual preference and (possibly more importantly) where you live. Only you can really examine where you live and what you want to do in the place.
>>
File: Kills Gains.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Kills Gains.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>910886
The stationary bikes in your gym. The ones next to the ellipticals and rowing machines, behind the weight sets.
>fit
>>>/fit/
>>
>>910915
>The stationary bikes in your gym.
Literally the most de-motivating crap on the planet. Riding outside on a real bike that fits you properly is orders of magnitude better than any club bike.
>>
>>910915

> drive 20min to sit on a stationary for 40min before driving home.

Nope.

>>910886

Fixed gear, no coasting. Real shit.

IB4 fixiefag blah blah
>>
>>910886
the one under your bum, obviously.
>>
>>910886
>What's the best bike for getting fit?
A bike that doesn't limit the amount of strength you exert while riding.
I think some of the best training I did for BMX racing was riding old heavy bicycles in the city, stopping at all the red lights, then sprinting when the lights turned green. When the old bike felt easy, I'd add an extra heavy lock and chain or carry water jugs in the saddle bags. Launching the heavy old bike on my daily commute made my BMX bike feel feather-weight.
>>
>>910896
Hey senpai I ride a bicycle 14 miles a day every day.

It has flat bars because it /was/ a mountain bike and I'm poor.

Do I need to get out of /n/ now (:?
>>
>>910886
Buy a heavy ass piece of shit and ride that up hills. That's the most effective way to get fit. Bikes are too damn efficient otherwise.
>>
>>910940
Flat bar road bike you turd. Also you could ride 30 miles and it wouldn't make a different when you're only going like 8mph.
>>
>>910896
it's still a bike, why do you care, you imbecile
>>
>>910893
not the one you were replying to but for cardio literally any bike will do as long as you feel comfortable on it. You can ride a beach cruise or a fat bike or an old 10 speed.
>>
>>910907
This is the correct answer.

Imho that usually means either a roadbike, a XC MTB or some sort of touring bike.
That doesn´t mean its impossible to get fit with any other kind of bike, just that those are the most likely options.
>>
>>910896
>tfw flat bar commuter
>tfw wrists fucking hurt after a while

I need to get bar ends desu senpai
>>
>>910948

>Depends, if you want to actually have the ability to go places then having the tools to tackle altitude changes, go fast and be comfortable for extended periods of time then I think you're going to want road geometry, decent gearing and drop bars.
you dont need to go long distances to get fitter using a bike.

>Having hand positions definitely helps, also having a decent bike that can help you maximize your potential can be very good for things like touring and commuting.
you dont need to be comfortable to ride bike, yes it helps but not necessary

>IDK, I also find that being proud of your bike and excited to ride it is a huge motivational factor for many of us at /n/.
not really part of the ops question

I'm not trying to pick a fight here but just keep it to the specific question and not have it all become opinion for the sake of opinion.
>>
One that you will like to pedal more than the next.

Burn more calories than you eat to lose weight, if you want to get fit, what kind of fit. Cardio fit, sprint fit, bodybuilder fit, etc, etc etc.
>>
File: 1000 DOUBLE R.jpg (876KB, 3000x1794px) Image search: [Google]
1000 DOUBLE R.jpg
876KB, 3000x1794px
No use in getting fit on a cycle since no woman will want to fuck you and you'll fuck up your penis on those saddles man.

Better get a good motorcycle or a big fat bmw if you can, women love status and money, no matter how ugly you are.
>>
>>911001
Women are greedy, that is a fact.

Women also like men that are not fat bastards, and ones that can walk.

Riding motorbikes, you might end up crying like a bitch when you go too fast for your own skill ability. No point in putting sliders on your squid ass bike, when you crash that double R. it will grind those fairings to shit. Your bike is weak. step your game up Squidbilliy
>>
>>911001
PS Nice chicken strips squid, do you even lean bro
>>
File: spagett.png (102KB, 302x306px) Image search: [Google]
spagett.png
102KB, 302x306px
>>910920
This.
I absolutely love hauling ass or hitting some mean climbs on a road bike but my fixed gear is my daily driver.

Ride whatever the fuck you have the most fun on OP.
>>
File: wat.png (667KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
667KB, 600x840px
>>911001

Why not both?

What, are you poor or something?
>>
>>911007
>Women are greedy, that is a fact.

wanna know how I know you're a virgin
>>
>>911028
Naw, thats how you can tell I am divorced.

Wanna know how I know you are a naive young boy
>>
>>910886
Are you starting a troll bike thread?
>>
>>911047
Nah.
>>
>>910955
Get North Road bars
>>
>>911030
>divorced
>bitter
>middle aged
>still browsing 4chan

r9k is the board for you friend
>>
>>911596
As if anyone on /r9k/ has ever known the touch of a woman.
>>
>>911596
That was a divorce joke

Would not let a beta tell me where to post anyway.

most marriages are a coin flip chance of divorce. something tells me your a virgin
>>
>>911622
nah my gf sucked my willy 2 nights ago and ill be copping a wet dick tonight in the back seat of my car. The beta part is right tho, I still live with mummy and daddy

nice dubs btw, check mine
>>
>>911621
You'd be surprised.
>>
>>911637
Don't let people dictate your life, ever.

I laugh when I see a classmate from school in the street in a nice car. Then I see them get out.

I say nice car, b/c their other vehicle (Their fat ass they use to carry their brain) is clunky as shit.

I'm 30 and pass for 20's, I see some old buds, they look fucking mid 40s, fat, sloppy, barely mobile, some even are gym rats, but could barely jog

To each his own, I love cycling. I hope I can do it into my 60s
>>
Road bike. You peddle like 10x more on the road as you do on the traisl
>>
>>911779
Meh, maybe OP likes trails more or streets more.

When it comes to getting fit, the question should be, what bike will make him ride and burn calories more.

I prefer to ride long road bike rides over 30 miles...Still like to go to trails and go ham for a 10 mile power ride on the dual suspension

Love both, prefer the road bike b/c I like the road
>>
File: 1438001076707.jpg (139KB, 563x424px) Image search: [Google]
1438001076707.jpg
139KB, 563x424px
Any bicycle that rides well enough is good for getting fit, you only need to pedal hard as much you can without getting hurt, the bike fit is probably the most important thing.
>>
File: fixed-lo.jpg (13KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
fixed-lo.jpg
13KB, 300x230px
>>910920
Agree.
>>
>>910893
>So geometry, weight, stance, and resistance has no effect on fitness? As long as you ride the little kiddie tricycle for 20 whole minutes you're good senpai?

Beyond basic ergonomics, not really. Resistance can be set by the drivetrain, which any multispeed bike has.

Changing the bike weight for example doesn't change the input you put into it. It just means you go faster or slower.

>>910894
The primary advantage of shiteheap hybrids is, barring the used market, they're probably the cheapest thing that's still an actual bike.

And actual road drivetrain, road geometry frame bikes are never a good idea.

>>910920
>Fixed
You lose the ability to set resistance. Not what I'd suggest for new riders, but a very respected traditional trainer for bicycle racers. Avoid tark bikes.
>>
>>912511
>You lose the ability to set resistance.
That is not an inherent quality of a fixed drivetrain.
>>
>>912511
>And actual road drivetrain, road geometry frame bikes are never a good idea.
Explain this logic.
>>
>>912562
Fixed gear with igh is super niche.

>>912610
I meant flat bars, with road drivetrain and road geometry, as in flat bar road bikes.
>>
>>912613
>I meant flat bars, with road drivetrain and road geometry, as in flat bar road bikes.
That's not that bad. Yes, it's a little wonky to put flat bars on a road frame instead of a flat bar frame like some manufacturers do, but it's not that bad. Flat bar controls are a lot more resistant to damage, and often at $100 cheaper or more, which is a serious consideration for low end bikes. They also give you shifting at your fingertips, some of the really low end road bikes don't.

Now high end carbon flat bar road bikes with high end road groups are retarded.
>>
>>912613
>I meant flat bars
>as in flat bar road bikes.
Wow, really? And this whole time I thought you were talking about a toasted cheese sandwich.

Explain to me why you think that having road gearing is a bad idea on a bike with flat bars.
>>
>>912613
>Back-pedalling in an argument about fixed drivetrains
oh the ironing
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.