[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how the fuck do people trust these things you cant glide if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: helicoptergif[1].gif (273KB, 1100x610px) Image search: [Google]
helicoptergif[1].gif
273KB, 1100x610px
how the fuck do people trust these things

you cant glide

if that engine stops working or rotor breaks you literally just fall and die

jesus christ
>>
>guaranteed replies
autorotation, now fuck off back to /o/, this is the bikes board
>>
>>910265
vietnam vet friend of my dads flew 36 missions in a tour, got shot down 9 times and survived somehow. I'd say they are safe if properly maintained.
>>
>>910267
>autorotation

what the fuck does that even mean
>>
>>910267
suck a dick, bike queer. this is a train board that tolerates bikes.
>>
>>910273
it means coral reefs soon.
>>910274
count the train threads, oh look you're outnumbered. sorry foamers.
>>
>>910276
>it means coral reefs soon.

k still not sure what the fuck that means
>>
OP here, its clear no one here knows shit about helicopters

whatever
>>
>>910265
1. They can glide
2. The engine is only required to climb or maintain altitude
>>
File: 150.jpg (52KB, 680x649px) Image search: [Google]
150.jpg
52KB, 680x649px
>>910265
Is this bait?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (180KB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
180KB, 2304x1296px
>>910290
Sorry for the shit responses, I was hoping to see a bit more information rather than just baiting and shitposting. Anyways,

Autorotation is when the helicopter's engine no longer provides useful power or power at all, so the helicopter enters a maneuver where the motion of the free-stream air essentially windmills the rotor blades, keeping the helicopter in a controlled descent. All flight controls still work (i.e. cyclic, anti-torque, and collective), it just requires careful monitoring and management in order to keep the helicopter flying safely.
>>
I prefer fixed-wing, but even I think you're a retard
>>
>>910641
This whole thread is bait. Either that, or OP's belligerently retarded. Either is possible.
>>
>>910732

I'd wager 90% of the world population believe helicopters fall like a rock as soon as the engine fails.
>>
>>910273
If the engine stops working, your rotors keep rotating as you drop, slowing the fall and keeping you in control.

If a rotor breaks, I am not sure. But what do you do in your airplane when the wing breaks?

It seems the odds of a rotor breaking for anything other than a collision are probably pretty small, speaking as a person who certainly does not know helicopters.

>>910735
I sure hope your wrong but I fear you may not be too off mark.
>>
>>910735
You can thank movies for that. It seems the only purpose choppers have in action films is to get shot down in some fashion.
>>
Also you can perform a landing as smooth as with working engines if you let the helicopter descend pretty fast and then suddenly reduce rotor pitch. Much of the rotor speed is converted into forces that resist gravity in some way.
>>
>>910741
Increase rotor pitch. The purpose of the flare at the end of the auto is keep rotor RPM up by trading off airspeed. You increase pitch, which reduces RPM, but increases lift.

The idea is to keep RPM as long as possible until you can't keep it any longer, but by then you've traded enough of it for enough lift to cushion the landing.
>>
>>910784
Of course, my bad.
>>
You dumb cuck. Autorotation. You can plant a helicopter on a dime from 1000 ft, you can even do one backwards. With a good headwind I can take an r44 from 1000' over the threshold down to the numbers and softly land. An airplane needs a fuckin giant strip of clear open level ground to pull of an off airport landing.
>>
>>912357
You fuckin rotor heads are so goddamn cocky
>>
>>910265
There's a reason why they're not that widespread for actual transportation. But it's my understanding that as long as the controls still work, they have some ability to be safely flown using autorotation, similar to a gyrocopter.
>>
>>912357
>you will never be a helicopter pilot
>tfw
>>
This happened in Glasgow in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Glasgow_helicopter_crash
>>
>>912391
They're not used for straight-up transportation as much because they burn fuel at an astonishing rate, can't fly as fast as a fixed-wing aircraft, and are higher maintenance, but they're just as safe. Hell, in a lot of terrain out there they're MORE safe; you don't need much more than a hundred square feet to make an autorotation with some wiggle room. Fuck, you don't need more than the area of your skids, if you're desperate.

>>912357
You can do backwards autos all you want, I'll stick with 180s to go rearwards.
>>
>>912357
Victor is that you?
>>
>>912393
>Ten people died as a result of the accident: all three who were on board the helicopter and six on the ground, and another person died two weeks later from injuries received in the pub.

Phrasing.
>>
>>912433
>Phrasing.

>injuries received in the pub.
>Glasgow

ICWUM
>>
File: little-girl-embarrassed.jpg (61KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
little-girl-embarrassed.jpg
61KB, 849x565px
>>910265
Holy shit leave this board.
>>
Helis are shiiiiit
>>
>>910265

>if that engine stops

faggot.
search wikipedia for 'autorotation'.
it's one of the first lessons when you learn to fly an helicopter.
>>
File: dustup.jpg (731KB, 2553x1457px) Image search: [Google]
dustup.jpg
731KB, 2553x1457px
Cops Belljet used to do engine out, and "Battle landings,, next to the Track.,, Sunny day ,,nowind, comesin from high,,, and FAST!> FLAAAAIR!!!
,i could feel the Fibrations as the TailRotor DIGGGGS into the Ground!<TOO LOW FLAIR!
,,Rooster tail of debri asit dances, screws and flipson the Big Blades! WWWHOP!! WHOPACKA! WWWACRACK!
,,,,,,,,,lotsa Dust!, cops ok!, needs workon the landings.
,they made us give back our bits.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.