[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of biopace/non-circular chainrings /n/? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: VG8EVvh-4000x2251.jpg (1MB, 4000x2251px) Image search: [Google]
VG8EVvh-4000x2251.jpg
1MB, 4000x2251px
What do you think of biopace/non-circular chainrings /n/? I have biopace on my main bike yet I can't tell the difference.
>>
>>909754
Based Sheldon was a fan of them: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html

I had some Biopace rings on one of my bikes for a few years; never really noticed a difference compared to my other bikes.
>>
I've had a Biopace Crankset on my first Steelbike, and the only thing i notice about it is that its pretty much Solid and Bulletproof, though i can't really notice any difference compared to my current Shimano 105 Crankset
>>
I feel a bit of difference when climbing. It's a little like trying to lift during upstroke. I haven't done an A/B test between my Biopace bike and one of my other bikes, although even if I did it wouldn't be terribly accurate due to tire size and geometry differences.
>>
Haven't ridden Rotor rings or other non-circular types, but I have experience with Biopace. My experience, as someone used to spinning high cadences, is that the larger Biopace rings don't feel much different then round ones, but smaller sizes (<=32) give a very choppy feel if you try to spin. I don't have Biopace on any of my current bikes - Biopace rings do produce a smooth, consistent transmission of power to the rear wheel, but it's not really noticeable unless you're riding up a slope with reduced traction (loose gravel, ice).
>>
File: chainrings_compared_01a.png (41KB, 800x695px) Image search: [Google]
chainrings_compared_01a.png
41KB, 800x695px
>>909754
BioPace rings were really pretty mild; almost any other non-round chainring made had greater variation than BioPace did.
Pic related: a diagram I did in the past by tracing pictures of several different brands.
Do note: these are tracings of the largest chainrings. With many of the different brands, the smaller rings had a more severe shape. The small rings on BioPace triples had a distinctly rounded-diamond shape.

I have Rotor Q-rings on my two bikes. Just the rings, not the cranks.
The reason I tried them is because I had a problem with knee pain at the top of pedal strokes on longer rides (longer than ~75 miles), that nothing else seemed to help.

With the Q-rings you can adjust the phase that the long axis is on, so I adjusted the rings to push more of the effort further into the pedal stroke.
This is about 70° away from where it should have been for MAXIMUM POWER, but I didn't care about that. I don't race or track my cadence, ever.
It did help reduce my knee issues. And I liked the Q-rings on my long-distance bike so much that I put them on my commuting bike also.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.