[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replacement cassette for mtb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (21KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
21KB, 360x360px
My cassette has very worn teeth on it. It's 11-30 8 speed. When I look on ebay there are two options: acera and alivio. Can you tell me is there any difference between these? Both will be compatible? I've never done any work on my bike besides fixing punctures.

Also i was going to get a shimano cn-hg40 chain. Ok?

As for my front set it's 24 34 40 if I can count. Can these be bought as a set or do they need to be bought individually? I generally don't use them all when I ride as it seems unnecessary so I can just replace the centre sprocket? 40t I might use if going down a long descent for max speed (unnecessary) but 24t is functionally useless to me. I don't know what set ups are possible but could I have 34t 40t plus a guard? Or have it as 30t and 40t?

Also any tips on what else to service as this bike is 9 years old although it was never used regularly, enough to wear the sprockets out at least.
>>
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it.
>>
>>909088
Between the cassettes, the Alivio weighs 40g less, that's the difference. An Hg-40 chain will do fine.

For the crankset, take a picture or tell us what you have, not all cranksets can have their chainrings replaced individually. And what size rings you can run will also depend on your frame, if the chainstay angles sharply outwards there may limit to the size of chainring you can run without scraping the frame.

And before buying anything, chart out your gear ratios and figure out what you need or don't need - it might make more sense to get a cassette with tighter ratios than to change out your chainrings:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Beyond that, if the bike hasn't been serviced in 9 years it almost certainly needs a full overhaul of all the bearings (bottom bracket, hubs, headset), and depending how it was stored I'd be looking at the condition of the brake pads and tires, rubber can break down or harden over time.
>>
>>909102
Alright it doesn't look like my crankset gears can be replaced individually except for the smallest gear, being the only one not attached to the shaft. They seem to be a lot more expensive than the rears so I might just leave them, they don't seem as worn either. ALTHOUGH, I just remembered that the crankset gears are bent (chain can fall in between and get jammed so I've set the derailleur to avoid that but it means I can't change into them) and that's the reason I've been sticking to a single gear at the front. Is it possible to fix?

I don't really know what I do or don't need in regards to ratios. What I've got seems to work alright. I mean, the 24t crankset gear seems to be basically useless but I don't know that I need three crankset gears at all. Two seems like it would be adequate. . Maybe when I start riding more I'll have an idea. Definitely it seems the ratios aren't useful but I wouldn't know what to change the sets to. Changing to a 28t max at the rear would tighten the ratios, I don't find the current 30t useful. . Depends if I should even get a new crankset or fix the one pictured.

The tyres were replaced, rear was out of tread and front was cracking. Disc brakes are working fine but I haven't looked at them.

Rear wheel is bent so I'm looking to get a spoke tool. Front suspension (rst) is seems fine although the adjustment knob is tough/impossible to turn, I might disassemble and re-grease it but it doesn't seem necessary.

All the bearings full smooth still. I could redo them though if I get energetic.

What's the plastic shield behind the cassette attached to the spokes? Mine went brittle and disintegrated.
>>
File: 20151225_171153.jpg (697KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151225_171153.jpg
697KB, 2048x1152px
>>909112
Picture and thanks for the help m8
>>
>>909112
>>909113
>What's the plastic shield behind the cassette attached to the spokes?
Spoke protector, protects the wheel from the chain going into it if your derailer gets damaged and from people who misadjust limit screws.

As for your chainrings, looks like they have life left, so if you need higher gearing I'd start with smaller cogs on the cassette. If the chainrings are bent though that's a bigger problem, if you haven't already, sometimes you can quite literally hammer them straight again, it's worth a try, otherwise you'd have to replace the whole crankset since the larger chainrings are integrated into the crankarm.
>>
>>909088
Go to Shimano's website, find the compatibility chart, download it, it'll tell you what components are compatible with what.
>>
>>909088
both will shift well with that chain. You will have no problems
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.