[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gag/ - General Aviation General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 93

File: cessna_landing.jpg (263KB, 650x392px) Image search: [Google]
cessna_landing.jpg
263KB, 650x392px
Not sure what the interest level is, but lets discuss all things aviation!
>>
>>677202
might fare better on /k/
>>
>>677312
Why's that? I don't go on /k/, but I was under the impression it was for weapons?
>>
>>677202
GA is a lot of fun, but only if you're a richfag.
>>
Fi here, recently finished my restriction, now I have a full time job, not flying much right now, but there will be lots soon.
Things are looking up right now, hopefully it stays that way...
>>
>>677202
>image

That's going to be a shitty landing
>>
>>677480
No, it's not going to be a shitty landing unless he fucks it up from that point.

He's at a good height for three points, now he just has to reduce his rate of descent and he'll land perfectly on 2 main gears...
>>
File: Final Approach.jpg (79KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Final Approach.jpg
79KB, 500x334px
General aviation is second best aviation!
>>
>>678159
And what's first?
>>
File: real sad frong.jpg (56KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
real sad frong.jpg
56KB, 597x519px
>you will never right seat this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZpaoUVuAA
>>
File: nah.gif (1MB, 255x165px) Image search: [Google]
nah.gif
1MB, 255x165px
>>679602
>flying with a woman at the controls
no thanks
>>
>>679602
Holy shit I just noticed that's my home airport (CRQ)!
>>
File: feelsgoodman.jpg (98KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
feelsgoodman.jpg
98KB, 720x479px
>>679617

Get amongst it!
>>
>>679602

>cuts out before the landing
>probably nose-heavy destroyed front gear, prop and then dig the wingtip and land on roof
>tits flopped out. :3c
>>
File: what are you doing.jpg (18KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
what are you doing.jpg
18KB, 366x380px
>>677490
>Three-pointing a tricycle
>Ever
>>
>>679714
Have you ever even landed a tricycle plane?

In the final descent you have a nose down attitude, during the flare you have to get through a three point attitude at some point, and he's doing just that, flaring.

Am I getting trolled here?
>>
File: Maces.jpg (910KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Maces.jpg
910KB, 1920x1080px
>>679340
Naval Aviation!
>>
File: S-2.jpg (41KB, 470x248px) Image search: [Google]
S-2.jpg
41KB, 470x248px
>>679724
Fair enough, my grandpa flew these off of carriers and had some great stories
>>
File: B-52_Stratofortress_landing[1].jpg (253KB, 2064x1564px) Image search: [Google]
B-52_Stratofortress_landing[1].jpg
253KB, 2064x1564px
>>679720
>>679714

Did you know B52s actually land slightly nose-down? They may be the ugliest yet effective aircraft ever to have the misfortune of existing.

I think he thought you implied you can land on all wheels, which you shouldn't.

I'm working on my instrument rating and I still screw up my flare height... for me it's the hardest thing to get right, since I transitioned from gliders with one main wheel and speedbrakes.
>>
>>677332
Sorry it took 7 days to reply, this board is slower moving then I thought! /k/ most of the time has vehicle threads of warfare and other things but discussion of civilian aircraft crops up, mainly when talking about equipping a cheap African air force for counter insurgency.

I suggest making a thread about the plausibility of retrofitting civilian aircraft for military operations both small ones like Cessna and larger ones like 747s and the history of retrofitting.
>>
I like planes.
>>
>>680072
What's your favorite plane anon?
>>
>>680174

Not that guy, but I like Piper PA-28 series planes. They fly nice and the interior reminds me of a 70's sedan. They're dangerous with all these Cessna jerks flying around though. :<
>>
File: XB-70.jpg (68KB, 640x507px) Image search: [Google]
XB-70.jpg
68KB, 640x507px
>>680174
Valkirie
>>
File: fin.jpg (257KB, 1177x500px) Image search: [Google]
fin.jpg
257KB, 1177x500px
>>
File: pinstipe.jpg (455KB, 1552x815px) Image search: [Google]
pinstipe.jpg
455KB, 1552x815px
>>
File: Eurocoupe.jpg (488KB, 2609x765px) Image search: [Google]
Eurocoupe.jpg
488KB, 2609x765px
>>
>>679649
kek
>>
File: qt314lot.png (2MB, 1916x1016px) Image search: [Google]
qt314lot.png
2MB, 1916x1016px
>mfw flying my first cross-country tomorrow, KCRQ -> KTOA -> F70 -> KCRQ
>>
>>681315
Get used to doing flight plans. you'll do them forever.
BRING SNACKS BRO
>>
File: traveljohn3pk.jpg (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
traveljohn3pk.jpg
56KB, 500x500px
>>681361
What about pic related?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Waiting for the red tail rat to shift so I can fuel my pa28...
>>
File: storm_lightning.jpg (85KB, 680x460px) Image search: [Google]
storm_lightning.jpg
85KB, 680x460px
Well, somehow I let my guard down a little, due to stress and all the work pressure I had on me these past few days, and it happened.

Today I officially had to divert due to CB at the airport. Never happened to me in my 360 hours, and I usually do triple weather checks to make sure everything is ok before i fly with my students (I'm an FI).
I was under pressure today, stressed out, checked the weather info, wasn't much for the flight, then my head of training arrived, he said the weather was fine and it did look fine right now and that we should go, but there was forecast for an occasional isolated CB that might occur.

Radar at that time was showing just small cumulus clouds.

So we took off, flew in pretty weather for about an hour and a half, we were already 3/4 of the way back when I noticed it.
I first noticed the top of it over the small cumulus clouds we had in front of us, it was way up, already touching the tropopause.
I quickly opened the weather radar on my mobile phone and noticed a precipitation building up and moving in the southeast direction, apparently just over and to the south of the airfield, so I planned to a bit north and avoid it from the south.
But it kept growing and withing 15 minutes it was hail there, i was notified by ATC.
>>
File: thunderstorm6.jpg (12KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
thunderstorm6.jpg
12KB, 400x250px
>>681532
I reached a point about 15 miles from the airfield, in ok weather, but the wall of huge darkness in front of me was not moving south. it was moving east in my direction now, I already had an airfield in my mind for diversion, so i landed there.
Problem was it's a small grass airfield which isn't even registered, and the runway is not in the best condition, and there are no tie down points and the small hangar was full.

So I park the airplane, and PRAY that HUGE HAIL dissipates by the time it reaches this small airfield.
Luckily it did, we experienced immense and powerful winds and rains, we were right in the eye of the CB, but luckily no hail and the wind didn't turn the airplane on the ground (i parked in a slightly protected area surround by some small shacks and building). We entered to hangar to keep us out of the rain.

The thunderstorm was overhead for an entire hour, the longest hour of my life, I was ready to go outside in the thunderstorm and hang on to the airplane so it doesn't get trashed by the wind, or even lie over the windshield so it doesn't get damaged by the hail. I was desperate.
Luckily it was only raining, wind was ok, and the rain soon stopped and the skies were clear and beautiful again.

I checked the grass runway for water patches and wetness, as I know the risks of wet grass and how many accidents happened that way. Luckily the ground was firm, not soaked, grass was short, and we took of without any problems.
We landed at our main airport in 20 minutes.

I can't be bother writing anymore, bosses are ok with the resulting decisions I made (safety of the crew in the airplane was never a question, NEVER, I wouldn't allow that) and everything turned out ok for now. I'll have to write an occurrence report, plus the airfield i diverted to is actually not registered, so I don't know if I'm going to have any problems about that with the authorities.
>>
>>681532
>>681533
Where do you live? Is this type of thing relatively common? Sounds pretty intense. Worst I've had to do so far is get a SVFR so I could get home below minimums.
>>
>>681548
For the weather to turn suddenly to bad?

Yup.

But I mean we landed safely and all that, just wasn't easy watching the place in the rain.
>>
Is it weird that whenever I feel like something really isn't right during approaches and want to go around, my instructors tell me to keep going anyway? This usually ended in me forcing the plane down and making a shitty landing.

Any instructors here who could offer an explanation?
>>
>>681561
>weird that whenever I feel like something really isn't right during approaches and want to go around, my instructors tell me to keep going anyway? This usually ended in me forcing the plane down and making a shitty landing.
>Any instructors here who could offer an explanation?

It doesn't have to be weird, but you should discuss the approaches in detail after flight or if you have during cruise. What are some of the things you feel are wrong?

You should really discuss this after each flight, with your instructor, in details.
They should explain each and every thing happening, especially during the final approach.
You need to be proactive and ask them. I do realize students might hold back from asking questions sometimes, so I ask my students sometimes to go through their actions together after we land, so I can discover any confusions that they might have, or misconceptions.
>>
>>681561
If the reason you're uncomfortable is because you think you're lined up on the wrong runway or don't have clearance to land, then that's something you need to talk about right away.

Ont he other hand, if you want to go around every time you feel a little high or fast, I wouldn't be surprised if the instructors encourage you to continue. Not every approach is going to be perfect, but you should be able to recognize deviations from your desired flight path and be able correct them to make a safe landing. Obviously you shouldn't be trying to salvage unsafe or heinous approaches, but the instructors have the experience to know better than you where that line is drawn.

When you're solo, there's no harm in going around once or twice if you aren't comfortable, but challenging yourself when you are with instructors is essential to improving your skill and confidence as a pilot.
>>
Can solo time be logged as PIC time?
>>
File: N757JB.png (3MB, 1479x988px) Image search: [Google]
N757JB.png
3MB, 1479x988px
The result of too much thrust from a taxiing G550
>>
>>681695
Yes. Unless Jesus has taken the yoke, you're the PIC.

>>681883
How close was that thing? Also, tiedowns exist for a reason, though I'm not sure if there are any places to put the ropes in this airport. An accident waiting to happen I guess.
>>
File: studying-watercolor1.jpg (143KB, 750x599px) Image search: [Google]
studying-watercolor1.jpg
143KB, 750x599px
To all certified pilots out there, a quick question.

How hard was it to get your certification(s)? Be honest here. Were you actually studying day and night or did most of it stick from just learning in the air?

I've been studying all of my textbooks and FAR AIM and either feel like I can't absorb it unless I learn it in the sky or that I already know it.
>>
>>681901
CPL/FI here.

Yes it was.
We humans depend on our experiences to learn new information, so learning abstract theories can be very difficult to understand, and as such to remember.

Once you go flying and start connecting the dots in your head you can easily remember the theory, and learn new theories by connecting them with the previous experiences you had and visualizations.

But it was also very interesting for me, so I kind of enjoyed doing it all.

Also during the tests for frozen ATPL theory, yes, I was studying day and night, drinking incredible amounts of coffee.
But that's just the beginning, you have to study for your job interviews, your check flights, your everything.

You never stop learning and studying basically. You just have to get adapted to such a tempo.

Hope I helped.
>>
>>681918
I enjoy it all as well, so at least there's that. But since I've only got a weak 11 hours, I shouldn't try to study ahead I guess and just let my instructor get me there eventually. But good god I pray I'll get a job. Thanks!
>>
>>681901

Get a good flight sim like Xplane and practice. Xplane is great and you can run through flight plans and whatever you want, then when you've got some stick you can enjoy flying.
>>
Let me tell you guys a story of the danger of peer-pressure. Back in the late 90's, I was flying my family and friend (also a pilot) to Italy. We landed at Milan (LIML) in heavy fog. We were instructed to make a left turn off of the runway. Later, we were called by the controller who told us we were supposed to turn right instead and gave us a new path to follow, and told us to hold short of the runway we had just used. When we got to the runway, my friend was yelling at me to "just go". Well, me and my stupid self did just that. A good five seconds after we got off, I saw a large jet aircraft take off from the same runway we crossed.

The scary part is, neither ATC nor the aircraft taking off noticed us, and we never reported it in fear of our licenses being revoked.

But that's not the worst part. A few years later (2003 I believe?), some accident happened at the airport on the same runway.
Some aircraft had gotten lost on the airfield and ran into an airplane taking off, killing everyone on board both planes.
Remember to ALWAYS use your better judgement and keep yourself from getting pushed around by others. I know it sounds cheesy, but safety comes first always.
>>
>>681900
They were both tied down with chains, but they broke. You can still see the chain on 152SM.
>>
A bit more relaxing workday today.

I flew with a guy that's time building with us to an airshow an hour and a half away, they asked us to do a couple of low passes so we were practically a part of the airshow. Quite a nice experience. Saw some people I knew and met some new guys.
Also there were some interesting planes, An-2, mig-21 etc. etc.

For those wondering, a job as an FI can be stressful. I practically work 7 days a week sometimes for the whole day, for a shitty pay or no pay at all (a waiter earns more), but I'm not complaining. There are a lot of harder jobs or less payed. Plus I get to fly, so there's that.

>>681955
Yeah, those kind of experiences engrave into one's mind, almost PTSD like. We try to be careful, to be vigilant, but stress can get to us and our guard is lowered, and that's when shit happens. We just have to work hard to anticipate the worst and avoid it.
Sharing experiences like these is golden, we can learn from other's mishaps, better than on our own.
>>
>>681990
I now truly understand what they mean when they talk about certain factors building up leading to an accident. I was practicing pattern work at HWO (In between MIA and FLL), when suddenly a helicopter cut in front of me at the same altitude. I made a terrifying dive to avoid it, and was so shaken by the event that I forgot to use the trim wheel on approach and started to bounce after landing. I desperately started swinging the plane around on the runway with the rudder/nosewheel and tried to turn off the runway while still travelling at 40 kts. Nothing more happened than some scary vibrations, but I still kick myself to this day for letting myself draw a blank like that. I've always considered myself a focused person when it comes to flying, but it really shows how you can let your guard down.
>>
File: dubsguyooo.png (160KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
dubsguyooo.png
160KB, 320x272px
>>681883
>>
File: 1309069183875.png (70KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1309069183875.png
70KB, 600x338px
>>681955
>crossing a runway without permission
>ever
>especially after having been explicitly told not to

If I could I'd revoke both of your licences right now.
>>
File: what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png (101KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png
101KB, 402x402px
>>681955
>When we got to the runway, my friend was yelling at me to "just go". Well, me and my stupid self did just that.
>>
>>682258
>>682257
Easy to be the general once the battle is over.

I understand how that could have happened. You will too once something like that happens.
We can train and work hard to avoid getting into risky situations, but they are always waiting around the corner.
We need to work to minimize all possible risks, sometimes that includes not flying at all at certain times.
>>
>>682267

What's so hard about following ground control's explicit and understood instruction? Often ATC will put you on hold just to take stock of what's where, even if they think the way is clear they're in a tower and can eyeball.
>>
File: 1346736831058.jpg (78KB, 626x348px) Image search: [Google]
1346736831058.jpg
78KB, 626x348px
>>682267
>told to stop
>said he'd stop
>didn't stop
>runway incursion, seconds from fireballs

>I understand how that could have happened
Yeah, incompetence. Try to justify it all you want, there is absolutely NO excuse for crossing a runway like that.
>>
>>682258
>>682286
It scares me to no end thinking about how there are people like this out there. I can do everything right, but if one person ignores an instruction we're both dead.
>>
>>682324
That's why you have to do more than follow the rules, you have to keep a good lookout for idiots not following the rules too.
>>
>>682257
>>682258
>>682280
>>682286
>>682324
>>682486
Y-you too...
>>
File: Kaze-Tachinu.jpg (161KB, 1023x1442px) Image search: [Google]
Kaze-Tachinu.jpg
161KB, 1023x1442px
Hey /gag/gers, just dropping by to recommend The Wind Rises, it's the latest film from Studio Ghibli and directed/written by Hayao Miyazaki. It's about an aircraft engineer so naturally there's tons of planes, gliders, and whatnot. But there's also a bunch of trains, cars, some bicycles, trams, even a coupla boats. The plot itself is a romantic story interwoven with the main character's passion for aircraft, but overall it's pretty much a love letter to transportation in general. And as usual, gorgeous animation.

Highly recommended.
>>
>>682705
thanks anon! I had not heard of that coming out/didn't know that Miyazaki film existed... I am definitely gonna watch that
>>
>>682705
Not just any engineer.
Jiro Horikoshi. The guy who designed the A6M.
>>
interest level: high
>>
File: marthaking.jpg (171KB, 1600x1062px) Image search: [Google]
marthaking.jpg
171KB, 1600x1062px
Martha King is SUCH a babe
HNNNNNNNNNNG
>>
File: oside.png (2MB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
oside.png
2MB, 1200x676px
Oceanside, CA from 2500 ft
>>
File: C172.jpg (513KB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
C172.jpg
513KB, 1200x676px
>>682874
And my cockpit (sorry for the shit quality)
>>
File: caproni_ca60_transaereo.jpg (249KB, 1306x895px) Image search: [Google]
caproni_ca60_transaereo.jpg
249KB, 1306x895px
>>682746

I had no idea he was real. Neat.

I also didn't know Caproni was real too.
>>
File: cleeanr.jpg (402KB, 1828x585px) Image search: [Google]
cleeanr.jpg
402KB, 1828x585px
>>681308
this last coat has made it newer then new!
,after its finished here its off to the AP.
>>
File: CAP.jpg (605KB, 1437x1078px) Image search: [Google]
CAP.jpg
605KB, 1437x1078px
>>
File: dirtouch.jpg (566KB, 1786x804px) Image search: [Google]
dirtouch.jpg
566KB, 1786x804px
>>
>>682874
Needs more grid and less cookie-cutter houses.
>>
>>683017
yup, looks like hell
>>
>>682705
mite b cool
>>
File: The-Wind-Rises-3.jpg (67KB, 2000x1425px) Image search: [Google]
The-Wind-Rises-3.jpg
67KB, 2000x1425px
>>682705
Amazing film, well worth seeing at the cinema
Absolute aerodynamic pornography
>>
>>683126
I saw it at my local independent cinema before it had an official U.S. release and I was so floored by the film. Easily one of his best.

I understand he got shit from some Japanese who said he was being too political with this film. Did you feel like the film had an overt political theme?
>>
>>683129
They didn't like it because there weren't really any negative portrayal of what the planes he was using were going to be used for, which was the war (and war is bad guys!!)

What I don't think they understood was that the film was entirely from the view of the designer and not the buyer, where it focused on creating a beautiful dream aircraft, not the purpose of it being used to kamikaze into US battalions
>>
>>683135

They do mention a handful of times that airplanes shouldn't be war tools though, or something to that effect. I guess the Japs wanted it to be more propaganda-ish or something.
>>
>>683129

I think during my viewing of the movie, the biggest crowd reaction came from when the main character lit up a cigarette around his wife who was stricken with tuberculosis. Without the proper context and the circumstances of their love for each other, its too easy for some to look past that and go "ooooh he shouldnt be doing that. that's bad"
>>
>>683162

That's how far we've been brainwashed
>>
File: IMG_3332.jpg (63KB, 391x364px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3332.jpg
63KB, 391x364px
>>681955
Dude
What the fuck
Please don't ever fly again
>>
Just witnessed my colleage and friend, taking off in a 172, in the middle of a strong rainshow.

I mean they did take off ok and everything, there were no strong winds, but visibility was less than a kilometer, there was a lot of water, you never know....
>>
>>683138
exactly the opposite.
>>
File: turbines.jpg (526KB, 1499x943px) Image search: [Google]
turbines.jpg
526KB, 1499x943px
>>681955
for the final flight exam,, they should bring a jar of Bees which they release, a bag of vomit they throw on you,, and wear a helmet so you can simulate punching them out if they touch the controls.
>>
>>677369
you don't have to be rich

>work 2 jobs, 50 hours a week
>live at home
>all my money goes to my flying lessons.

I hope to one day be paid to fly...
>>
>>683452
>I hope to one day be paid to fly...

I know that feel breh
>>
Did about a 1.2 solo today, just circuits.

I need to work on my flare.
>>
Just thought I'd share some nice videos I recently found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I712YXdJ6_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZNtjv3zoV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae20L78imO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSiWrZvT3hE
>>
>>684337
>tfw you are one of thousands of student/forloughed pilots who all want the same thing
>tfw your chances of getting the job you had spent your entire life training for are next to none
>>
>>684443

Don't feel bad, the price of fuel is quickly making aviation uneconomical. Look to maritime and rail for employment, get in early.
>>
I'm a student pilot with 13 hours who has just recently moved a large distance. Due to certain complications, I won't be able to fly at a flight school for a few months. I want to throw open my books and study, but I just don't know where to start.

If it helps, I have the
>2014 FAR AIM
>Airplane Flying Handbook
>Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical knowledge

Or is it not a good idea to study ahead?
>>
>>684443
I don't even care if all of my flight training ends up being for naught.

at least i achieved a childhood dream of flying and enjoyed every minute of it.

There are worse things in life than spending time doing something you love.
>>
>>684470
If you can, get the Gleim book for the private pilot knowledge exam and then knock that out. Then you can focus on flying.

I almost..almost miss instructing lol
>>
File: 2014-06-27 11.41.33.jpg (300KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-27 11.41.33.jpg
300KB, 2048x1536px
Couple of photos from today's flight.

Flying routes like this is the only break I get from job daily.
>>
File: 2014-06-27 15.05.28.jpg (218KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-27 15.05.28.jpg
218KB, 2048x1536px
>>684598
>>
>>682267
It's one thing to mishear or not hear a specific instruction due to cockpit distractions and/or other human factors. To blatantly ignore a ATC hold short instruction because your friend is saying "just go" is completely inexcusable. The anon who did this has absolutely no place being in the cockpit, hell they probably shouldn't even play flight sim.
>>
File: TjJuJ29.jpg (484KB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
TjJuJ29.jpg
484KB, 2322x4128px
>tfw cross-country cancelled because of low ceilings
>>
Can someone explain how Bernoulli's Principle relates to an aircraft wing to me? I've seen several different answers and from what I understand, lift is generated from an increase in pressure as air passes over the top of the wing. Is this close?
>>
>>684682
decrease in pressure over the wing, Increase under it.
>>
>>684682
the air that takes longer to travel over the top portion becomes less dense it does not hit the sloping edge of the wing and deflect, instead it spreads out and slipstreams cleanly over the skin of the wing, thinning out tremendously. inversely the air underneath in the concave portion becomes more dense creating upward pressure, the wings must be large enough to catch enough of this upward pressure to lift the weight plane and anything it may be holding in cargo.

i dont know how i know this
>>
>>684456
>being a train driver is just as fulfilling as flying guys
>>
>>684620
>shouldn't even play flight sim

Come on now, we all know flight sim is there to satisfy our need to fly a 737 on a slalom course through manhattan
>>
>>684941
My shit. I lost it.
>>
>Fly planes every day
>Still feel lonely and depressed despite doing a job that 90% of people would love to do
>Will probably go old bitter and alone
>>
>>685536
Fucking this. I'm afraid of my job getting in the way of my family life and divorcing my husband or something. Any ATP's out there who can reassure me?
>>
How many times do you guys spin your trim wheel on final? I do it like 4-5 times and wonder if that's excessive or not. I know it depends on the aircraft and all, but what should the trim needle be indicating on final in let's say, a 172?
>>
>>686114
I don't trim on final or in the circuit.

Only on climb out and cruise. Only time I trim on final is if its a forced approach.
>>
>>686194
You fly the 150 or something? Anything heavier and I just run out of elevator
>>
Have my first solo cross-country tomorrow (weather permitting). Any tips? Will be flying in the busy airspace around Los Angeles and I'm confident in my abilities, but still a little nervous
>>
>>686204

I dunno, i'll put in the trim if i need it, but i like doing a bit of work.
>>
>>686362
Stay ahead of your plane, try and think 2 steps ahead. Monitor your progress on the map, I'm sure your instructor said to do a position check every 10 minutes or so, but since it's your first one, try and keep track of where you're out throughout the route. Keep a good minfo the airspace you're moving into or routing next too and try and keep an ear out for other traffic since I imagine LA will be busy.
Have fun too.
>>
>>686114
I'm not sure if trimming can reduce elevator effectiveness/range of elevator deflection. I got taught (bear in mind this was on a 737-400) that if we over trimmed and needed large elevator deflection, that we would run out of elevator authorityy because the trim was so high. So I was taught that if I felt I needed more elevator authority, actually trimming to neutral (even though it sounds counter intuative) might help
>>
File: wax.jpg (978KB, 2925x1233px) Image search: [Google]
wax.jpg
978KB, 2925x1233px
>>686628
theres just so much throw on a surface,,, seems trim will just get you there sooner.
,,Cessna have a tab on the elevator so it adds to the throw.
>>
File: lunchtime.jpg (695KB, 2773x945px) Image search: [Google]
lunchtime.jpg
695KB, 2773x945px
>>
File: dirtone.jpg (145KB, 697x343px) Image search: [Google]
dirtone.jpg
145KB, 697x343px
>>
File: offoradr.jpg (245KB, 1341x539px) Image search: [Google]
offoradr.jpg
245KB, 1341x539px
>>
File: rush.jpg (544KB, 2498x831px) Image search: [Google]
rush.jpg
544KB, 2498x831px
>>
>>686636
Hey BaconRider, quick question. I deeply enjoy everything you have to say and all, but why so many punctuation marks?
>>
File: Far Cry 5.webm (2MB, 1080x608px)
Far Cry 5.webm
2MB, 1080x608px
>Flying plane
>Pic happens
>What do?
>>
File: nesting.jpg (275KB, 1489x573px) Image search: [Google]
nesting.jpg
275KB, 1489x573px
>>686681
have parachute.
,,, and check everybody else is ok and has chute,, may have to chase down that plane i CRASHED INTO!!, and lend a seat.
,OK? now i gota spend my life feeling reeeeeely stupid, er.
>>
>>686681
travel back in time, pay attention in ground school when your instructor explains that part about spacial awareness and proper spacing...

FYI - the pilot of the aircraft that's wing failed was hospitalized with only minor injuries.
>>
File: CRQ-TOA.png (1MB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
CRQ-TOA.png
1MB, 1200x676px
>>686626
Thanks bro, everything went fine and I had a blast. Here are some [shitty] pictures from the flight
1/4
>>
File: CRQ-TOA2.png (911KB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
CRQ-TOA2.png
911KB, 1200x676px
>>686692
2/4
Marine layer hanging off the coast
>>
File: CRQ-TOA3.png (2MB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
CRQ-TOA3.png
2MB, 1200x676px
>>686693
3/4
KLGB
>>
File: TOA-RAL.png (1MB, 1200x676px) Image search: [Google]
TOA-RAL.png
1MB, 1200x676px
>>686694
4/4
Angel Stadium
>>
File: PgG7fkg.jpg (324KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
PgG7fkg.jpg
324KB, 960x1280px
>you will never instruct these two
>>
File: 1400851147913.jpg (515KB, 2672x1726px) Image search: [Google]
1400851147913.jpg
515KB, 2672x1726px
>>686701
>tfw
>>
File: pride.jpg (675KB, 2565x1069px) Image search: [Google]
pride.jpg
675KB, 2565x1069px
>>686701
tighten your headfones,, and get some GLASSs!
,, them tender blues will fry at altitude.
,,,,,instructed!
>>686694
dem feels,, cars crawl under the runway,, long ago runway 25L crossed 30, me in 150 had a hold there for a 737 liftoff, call tower ,"30 second hold please?","OK".
,,, i was there flight testing with the regional examiner, what me being Bacon and all,,i thought my stalls where SHIIT, my 8 pattern was sloppy, my towertalk was hawkward,, but at least i slicked the landing!!!
,waiting for the after flight grilling by the top DOGE!!
,,,"ive never had a 100% perfect flight before,Thankyou." hands me my paperwork.
, i lite a bowl in the fading light on the flight back to home base.
>>
File: boxy.jpg (583KB, 2064x946px) Image search: [Google]
boxy.jpg
583KB, 2064x946px
>>686694
dull overcasty day,, passing thru the VFR coridor to the east about 4000feet?
,, do my little airdance every 15 seconds,, Yaww and roll to visualy clear around blind spots of nose,, and its fun,, crowded airspace gota yaw and rol!!>!!! AIRCOMMANDER CLIMBING HARD 50 YARDS COLLISION CORSE>YOOOOKE HARD OVER FULL BACK!!!!!
,face pressed to the window trying to reaquire, VISUAL CONTACT!
!! SAFE!
,,,already thru 180,just keep this roll GOING!
,only time ever rolled a power plane,, he never saw me.
>>
>>686713
You smoked a bowl on your flight back home??
>>
Do a lot of DPE's stop students from using GPS on PPL checkrides? I know they want you to demonstrate pilotage, but it sure helps if you have it
>>
I took my PPL about 7 years ago in a G1000 C172 and my examiner turned off the GPS/moving map for part of my checkride. I've done a lot of flying since then, and I still haven't flown an aircraft with a navigation suite as advanced as the G1000. It really pays to know how to navigate without it.
>>
>>682582
/fit/ pls
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 215x143px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 215x143px
>>679724

Rah.
>>
This airplane looks like fun...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ErTsiMwLw
>>
File: yes.png (11KB, 547x337px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
11KB, 547x337px
>>687725
>>
>>687712
>topkek
>>
>>687384
>>687619

The 172 I did my flight test in had a GNS430, and yeah, he turned off the airspace and airports on it. It makes sense why they do it. I always use it now though; makes the dense airspace around Vancouver a lot easier to navigate.
>>
File: az.png (3MB, 1920x823px) Image search: [Google]
az.png
3MB, 1920x823px
snapped this shot during some time building I was doing a few weeks ago
>>
>>688214
Damn, nice shot
>>
Hello, a/n/ons. Is nice to be a aircraft? How are the prospections of your profession?
>>
>>688454
> aircraft mechanic
Fix'd.
>>
File: salads.jpg (382KB, 2061x804px) Image search: [Google]
salads.jpg
382KB, 2061x804px
>>688214
Berry nice.
,!
,when flying over "no can land",, the engine will begin to run ruffffff.
>>
>>688214
Nice
>>
File: 2014-07-04_00002.jpg (312KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-07-04_00002.jpg
312KB, 1920x1080px
Hi I'm currently learning how to fly an airplane through a CFI. I have a yoke/throttle quadrant/trim/rudder setup at home, and have been using FSX to practice.

Should I get X-Plane instead, if so why?
Also I just bought a $800 headset, did I overpay?
>>
File: zulu.jpg (659KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
zulu.jpg
659KB, 1161x2064px
>>688582
Picture of said headset, Lightspeed Zulu 2 (recommended by my boss, an amateur pilot)
I've been simming for a long time but only now have the money/time to take flight school lessons. Two lessons in so far, working through groundschool stuff.
Flying out of KRNT currently, used to practice touch-and-go's on my sim in KRAP / KSPF
>>
>>688582
Cool

Make sure you untick "auto rudder", makes FSX a lot harder and more realistic

And don't fly with the glass cockpit, get used to the instruments.

I don't have a headset yet but I was thinking about Lightspeed Zulu, $800 is cheaper than any price I've found for them so far!
>>
>>688591
Realism is set to full, autorudder is off, graphics settings have been appropriately tweaked to avoid unnecessary lag, etc.

The C172s we train with all have G1000 glass cockpit instruments, which is why I've been using them in sims. Sometimes I'll switch back to analog controls though because that's what I was used to back home.

One annoying bit is that I can't seem to take off with any multiengine plane without it veering off immediately to the left at the start. But it's not like I'll be doing that in a real plane anytime soon.

As far as other headsets go, there's the David Clark PNR headsets for about $300, and Bose if you want to spend a huge amount of money for some reason. /g/ is understandably dumbstruck that anyone would pay this much for a headset, but that's aviation I guess, add X zeros to any pricetag
>>
>>688599
Oh gotcha, I just assumed with training you'd be using the most basic of instruments in the aircraft.

Is that veering off once you get airborne or once you start rolling? Controls are centered?
>>
>>688599
Only reason I wanted Lightspeed Zulu was to plug an mp3 player into it so I can listen to music and fly, and it is set up to give priority to radio and intercom.
>>
>>688610
Yoke and rudder centered and correctly calibrated, veering happens at about 20-30KIAS and gets worse from there

>>688611
>and it is set up to give priority to radio and intercom.
uh
>>
>>688612
Yeah I'm more concerned about missing a radio call than missing part of a song
>>
>>688616
My mistake, thought you meant the opposite.
>>
>>688612
It's just occurred to me that I might be taking off into a crosswind (in FSX). Haven't had to deal with that yet
>>
>>688620
Could be. Crosswinds are fun, my instructor demonstrated a 13kt crosswind to me the other day and made it look like a walk in the park, I was amazed lol

The most I have pulled off IRL is like 2-3 kt crosswind and that involved a HUGE roll and correction to the right haha.
>>
Since we're admitting everything, I might as well give it a shot:

I landed under a CB in full blown wind shears and 30+kt crosswinds

I landed safely, but my legs were shaking for days just thinking about it.
I was so close to actually dying.

Changed my life
>>
>>688620
could also be that your throttle quadrant is only bound to one engine in the sim, make sure it's advancing both evenly.. also, even though I only have a PPL/IR (currently finishing my commercial), it could be that the multi-engine you're using in the sim is a particular model plane that doesn't have counter-rotating props, perhaps the realism setting is taking into account the increase in torque and p-factor on your takeoff roll at 20-30kts.. if this is the case, get used to applying right rudder pressure as you increase power, and relieving that pressure somewhat as you approach rotation speed

IRL i've noticed the complex Piper Arrow ive been flying for the past 15 hours requires a noticably greater amount of right rudder on the takeoff/roll than the Cessna im used to
>>
>>688841
well at least you had the chance to learn from it, some people don't get to

recently i had a similar experience landing in 17G25kts .. something i would be borderline comfortable doing in a 172, but i was solo and landing an Arrow i only had about 12 hours and not much crosswind instruction in, it was tense, and not a pretty landing, but safe... remember, pilots never rise to the occasion, but descend to the level of their training
>>
File: Checkride.jpg (54KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Checkride.jpg
54KB, 350x350px
>mfw my End of Course check ride is tomorrow
here we go...
>>
>>690206
Good luck!
>>
>>690270
Thanks man!
>>
>tfw my next flight is my first solo to the practice area.

can't wait.
>>
>>690299
I just had a lesson today and instructor has booked me for my pre solo check ride next week. Considering I was all over the place today I'm assuming they have more confidence in my abilities than I do at the moment haha.
>>
>>690756
honestly if your instructor thinks you can handle it, then you can. Believe in yourself and just go, I was nervous the first time i went solo, and it was my second most on edge landing (the first most on edge landing being my first ever) and the confidence boost you get after it is amazing.

you already know you can do it, so just do everything exactly as you have been doing it.
>>
>>690827
Definitely will keep at it and I am planning on acing my solo. Still can't shake the feeling you get after a shitty day, however it just makes me more keen to practice.
>>
File: tuned.jpg (551KB, 1437x1078px) Image search: [Google]
tuned.jpg
551KB, 1437x1078px
>>
File: fullfly.jpg (438KB, 1353x851px) Image search: [Google]
fullfly.jpg
438KB, 1353x851px
>>
File: Cardinal.jpg (524KB, 1782x786px) Image search: [Google]
Cardinal.jpg
524KB, 1782x786px
>>
File: taxi.jpg (480KB, 2077x881px) Image search: [Google]
taxi.jpg
480KB, 2077x881px
>>
File: blender.jpg (561KB, 2151x841px) Image search: [Google]
blender.jpg
561KB, 2151x841px
>>
Went on a solo cross country near the Los Angeles area today and watched a British Airways A380 pass right over my nose. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen...to bad I didn't get a picture ;_;
>>
Hey, guys. There are many foreigners in your aviation courses?
>>
Can my fellow aviatio/n/ers help me out with an ordeal? I'm trying to study up on my flying (student pilot; less than 15 hours) and want to know what books you guys recommend? I've reached a point where I won't be able to fly for a while and want to keep myself knowledgeable.
Last time I flew after a long break, I blanked out a few feet above the runway.
>>
>>691357
I read a book called flying safely, i found it helpful. another book i read was weather ways, its an old canadian aeronautical meteorological book, but it still has plenty of relevant information in it.

Both of these i found in my flying clubs library.
>>
>>691357

Depends on the school. The one I go to has a program for foreign students, so they can be the majority at times.
>>
File: 9602.jpg (128KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
9602.jpg
128KB, 1200x1200px
>>691642
This is pretty comprehensive. I, too, took a long break from flight training and this helped me get back into it.
>>
File: kneeboard.jpg (44KB, 438x500px) Image search: [Google]
kneeboard.jpg
44KB, 438x500px
>>691734
Does anyone know of a decent VFR flight plan form that fits correctly on a 6.5" x 9.5" kneeboard? I have this kneeboard and the flightplan form I use is landscape and is a paint in the ass to deal with inflight.
>>
>>691357
At mine there are yeah
>>
File: TUQbeC9.jpg (222KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
TUQbeC9.jpg
222KB, 960x1280px
>tfw no freckled qt to fly with
>>
>>691642
>Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot

does a great job of breaking down all the FARs as well as explaining aerodynamics and weather.
>>
File: filller.jpg (452KB, 2009x763px) Image search: [Google]
filller.jpg
452KB, 2009x763px
>>
File: fsjal.png (2KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
fsjal.png
2KB, 299x276px
Next lesson is my first solo, provided my license is processed by then.

Scared/Excited
>>
>>69173 I heard the Ipad 4 kneeboard is pretty good
>>
>>692913
CFI here, I guarentee yours is more nervous than you are. Good luck, just remember any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Everything after that is just for show!
>>
File: IMG_0677.jpg (59KB, 590x518px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0677.jpg
59KB, 590x518px
>>692913
Same here. Mine was supposed to be today but was cancelled due to weather.
>>
Not my home airport, but I figured I'd share with my fellow /gag/gers. There was an accident near this airport and now some local people are lobbying to have the airport closed. This is bad news for general aviation if shit like this becomes a trend.

faceb00k (.) com/pages/Support-the-Greenwood-Airport/1508118739402859
>>
>>681398
Is that BDB?
>>
File: 1366411796018s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1366411796018s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>681955
wtf man.

Bad.
Bad pilot.
I hope you don't still make boneheade decisions like this
>>
File: feelsGood_Peter.jpg (466KB, 600x897px) Image search: [Google]
feelsGood_Peter.jpg
466KB, 600x897px
>>692925
Same anon here. Did my first solo today.
Two of the landings were some of the smoothest I've ever done.

>tfw taking off by my self for the first time
>tfw flying the pattern by my self for the first time, feeling nice and comfortable
>tfw doing beautifully smooth landings by my self
>tfw I can now fly solo at other than scheduled lesson times with instructor's permission
Pic very much related.
>>
>>682874
what a nightmare
>>
>>693632
Why the hate?
>>
>>693854
Not that guy you replied to, but that town looks ugly as fuck. So cookie-cutter, so little green space. Where I live at least looks pleasant to fly over.
>>
>>681955
Classic Italy. Always fucked up. These are the things why not even once.
>>
>>694193

And all the houses are like 20ft apart. Look out a side window and you're seeing inside some other person's house. No privacy in the yards either.
>>
>>694303
>casual ahistoric nationalism
reed a book
>>
>>693258
Nice ;)
>>
File: 20140712_202450 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140712_202450 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here's a picture from the last time i went solo, its Ottawa.

Did some softfield landings today, luckily there's an airport nearby that allows for soft fields next to their strip, with about 5000 feet so you can actually do a soft field touch and go.
>>
FI working two jobs here, I think I'm over fatigued. I work 12 hours a day practically every day 6 days a week. I am starting to notice my guard lowering down, I feel like there's a big mistake that could slip by me each day, resulting in terrible consequences. I might have to quit one job.
Sometimes I ask myself what am I doing with my life. Is it all worth it. Will I ever make it?
>>
>>695394
Does it need to be that drastic? What if you got your hours lowered?
>>
It's happening, tomorrow I do my solo. I know I'll get through it ok but I really want to, you know, nail that shit.
>>
Got to do solo soft field practice today, which surprised me because there was a pretty strong cross wind. and it was my CFI that signed me out. I work at the club and i took this as a pretty big vote of confidence. my landings were pretty good today too. also did some precautionary approaches with an instructor.
>>
File: arabs.jpg (341KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
arabs.jpg
341KB, 500x750px
>>696372
This guy here, just got back from my solo and I nailed that shit! Fuck yeah.

>>696616
Nice
>>
>>696732
yeah you see, no problems you knew how to fly all along.

nothing helped my confidence more than knowing I could fly a plane by myself.
>>
>>696912
I know, it's great!
>>
I don't have content but I don't like this tread being this high up in the pages
Bump
>>
They keep saying there will be a pilot employment boom. Is there any truth to that?
>>
>>697865
I sure hope so. Someone said we're gonna be replaced by UAVs, which I hope does not come to be true.
>>
>>697904
I think its gonna be awhile before uav replace humans. Alot of people wont put their lives in the hands of computers when it comes to flight. Besides, the first occupation to be replaced would probably be train engineers, but they're still here
>>
>>697908
Most people aren't aware of fly by wire and would probably freak out finding out how Airbus things are managed. Equally, train drivers are slowly being phased out for mining freight operations in Australia. North American railways seem to lack a lot of infrastructure, especially related to signalling.
>>
>>697924
>how Airbus things are managed

Yeah I am a bit freaked out about Airbus' computer overrides tbh
>>
>>697904
UAVs are still piloted by an operator. They can just be held in a holding pattern if they need to be but they're not fully autonomous.

>>697927
>>697924
I don't really mind Airbus. The pilot can still override the controls and the computer systems are there as an added layer of safety. you can't fly a modern jet without a computer anyways whether Boeing or Airbus. Even if full automation was implemented they'd still have a pilot onboard to monitor systems, do external checks and to take control in freak circumstances.
>>
>>697933
>>697927
it would be interesting to get to know more about those computers and programs that run on aircraft
>>
File: UAV better than helos.jpg (106KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
UAV better than helos.jpg
106KB, 700x525px
>>697904
UAVfag & "real planefag" here. We're NOT gonna be replaced by UAVs. They aren't autonymous self-thinking robots...they are operated by someone. In USA, thats gonna someone with a commercial pilots license. This is the best flying job I've ever had, and I own 2 light planes for "real flying" fun when home, which I never could've dreamed of when I flew commercial. ALso, UAVs are never gonna take over ALL flying...just the most dangerous, boring ones that also require lots of precision Pic very much related.
>>
>>697989
>that pic

Holy shit, that's badass
>>
>>697989
How much do you make flying UAVs?

if you don't mind me asking.

Also are you enlisted, if you flew commercial how did you get into flying UAVs?
>>
File: bushpilot.jpg (9KB, 348x145px) Image search: [Google]
bushpilot.jpg
9KB, 348x145px
any bush pilot here? i am really thinking about becoming a bush pilot in africa, i am fluent in portuguese, should i learn french or afrikaans?
>>
>>698124
French is much more widely spoken in Africa.
>>
>>698124
yeah thats what i want to know. seems like every pilot fag I have met just wants to fly airbuses or gulfstreams. I want to fly pc-6s c208s to little airports... I'm fucked up like that
>>
File: warmup.jpg (555KB, 2165x1133px) Image search: [Google]
warmup.jpg
555KB, 2165x1133px
>>
>>698284
i am the one who post that. do you have any experience bush piloting?
>>
File: highwind.jpg (660KB, 2510x1205px) Image search: [Google]
highwind.jpg
660KB, 2510x1205px
>>
File: drapes.jpg (398KB, 1762x615px) Image search: [Google]
drapes.jpg
398KB, 1762x615px
>>
File: cadinal.jpg (886KB, 3250x1125px) Image search: [Google]
cadinal.jpg
886KB, 3250x1125px
simipleton i am,, i just figur, get airplane>go to africa.
,but id chose Brazil if your already Portugeselish., ,its just 1800 miles across the sea, if you take fresh fruit and Bomb the sailboat in the middle>you are DOGE!
>>
>>698124
>>698284

I want to be a bush pilot in the Canadian north.

you need to know Tailwheel, Floats and Skis though.
>>
>>698290
wat?
>>
>>698303
i plan on working in africa, so i guess skis wont be very relevant
>>
I'm only just starting flying lessons, but sharp turns make me nauseous. Is this something you just get over? Did anyone else have this problem starting out?
>>
>>698315
>He doesn't know BaconRider
Welcome to /n/, enjoy your stay. Try to avoid the bikefags. If we ignore them enough, they may move out.
>>
>>698382
My stomach feels a little weird when I do steep turns, but not enough to make me puke or anything. How nauseous do you get?
>>
I am a japanese the armyand 23years old.
I want become a pilot of KLM future.
but, I don't have any license.
I will take license in EU.
my Idea is Impossible?
>>
>>698418
>implying japan has an army
>>
>>698418
not impossible but you'll need good english skills. so keep posting here and improving your english.
>>
>>698415
>>698382
You must not turn your head around during steep turns, it messes with your vestibular system.
>>
>>698424
thank you. I have courage.
>>
>>698124
This is like my dream

>>698284
Likewise here, but I wouldn't mind working for REX (Saab 340s) in Australia or the RFDS (King Airs).
>>
>>698004
Civilian contractor (btw, ours are not armed). Salary is 6 figures when deployed overseas (less during training, but still a lot more than the average American makes). I flew commercial doing aerial photography, which easily led into UAVs. Since pilot license is not required(half our operators have NO flight time, only r/c experience), having a commercial license + photography experience + ROTC made me almost overqualified...a good fit and I love the work). Honestly, whenever I hear a pilot crying about his work prospects, I think "why the hell haven't you sent a resume to fly UAVs yet?"
>>
>>681955
You took a plane over a runway without permission?
I live near a guy who has a plane but due to medical problems has only been able to fly once or twice a year, he lands in his own field which has a public footpath going across it without any signs. I cannot take my dog over that 20 metre wide stretch of mown grass without looking both ways and listening for his plane.
>>
>>698496
I am Europe based, 400 hr TT, CPL/ME/IR/FI.

Where do I send my application? Tell me please. Do you know some companies in Europe/nearby?
>>
>>698560
>I cannot take my dog over that 20 metre wide stretch of mown grass without looking both ways and listening for his plane.

That's the smart thing to do. One of the first things I was taught was even if we have a clearance we still check vigilantly for idiots breaking the rules before we enter a runway.
>>
>>698922
ATC makes its mistakes too.

always check.
>>
>>698647
The American companies I know are only allowed to hire Americans....check with BAE or aerospace companies in your country. I'm only familiar with the USA contacts. Best of luck!
>>
>>684940
You can't shave and a haircut from 10k feet. Unless of course you have an A-10.
>>
File: sOhDmlt.jpg (304KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sOhDmlt.jpg
304KB, 1024x1024px
>>
>>699509
Pretty sure you can. And how is doing it on a train any better?
>>
>>699537
Because people can actually hear it. Planes have horns now?
>>
>>699536

Man I sure love QTs in a summer dress. ':3
>>
Heh,

Flight instructor here.
A student of mine did an uncomfortably lower approach few days ago (misjudged his approach and wind during engine failure simulation from 2000 ft), he passed over the rail tracks that are just before the runway, and a train passed right under him as he was above it. The train driver horned.
>>
>>699651
Reminds me of a bicycle ride.
http://youtu.be/dBAy7YUVdnM?t=3m14s
>>
File: 1328140474221.png (14KB, 679x427px) Image search: [Google]
1328140474221.png
14KB, 679x427px
>>682805
>>
>>699651

Flying in NYC has is challenges. To get from Long Island to NJ involves going over, through, or most commonly under JFK's bravo. It 500ft or below along the beach and across the bay. I did it a few times but once I passed right over a big container ship. He honked at me
>>
>>682705
saw this film.
makes me want to work harder as an engineer, neglect my no existent family and smoke.

awe-inspiring film
>>
File: 1324272292588.jpg (4KB, 208x156px) Image search: [Google]
1324272292588.jpg
4KB, 208x156px
>tfw last 2 flight lessons have each been 1+ hr of simulated instrument
>>
File: forecast.jpg (34KB, 728x219px) Image search: [Google]
forecast.jpg
34KB, 728x219px
>>699993
>tfw last 4 bookings have been cancelled for various reasons (weather, low visibility due to forest fire, plane in maintenance etc. ) and the forecast looks like this
>>
>>699993
Considering not being proficient in IMC flying is the main cause of death in GA, you should be thankful.
>>
>>686628
737 is different because trim moves the entire stabiliser, on a cessna trim won't have much effect on elevator authority., since it's only a relatively small tab.
>>
>>688582

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Understanding_Propeller_Torque_and_P-Factor

The left turning will happen in real life and is because of the direction the propeller spins.

Also I didn't like Xplane. FSX isn't great either, especially in stalls, but there's no reason to switch. Use it to get muscle memory for control inputs, and systems stuff like using VORs. Also you can slew to practice a lot of approaches in a short time. Slow flight and stalls won't really translate to real life but it probably can't hurt.

IMO you will improve your stick and rudder skills faster with Rise of Flight, but you won't learn systems.
>>
>page 5
This has been a great thread so far. Let's not let it fall too low.

Bump.
>>
>>700201
I'm not saying they aren't useful, but I wish my FI would have spread it out so I didn't have to cram it all into 2 lessons
>>
>>701555
buy fsx for $15 and practice them on your pc at home
>>
>>699993
ha, i hear ya man.. finished instrument last December, the week leading up to the ride was exhausting, hood flying really takes it out of you lol
>>
File: 1406392012969.jpg (24KB, 407x430px) Image search: [Google]
1406392012969.jpg
24KB, 407x430px
Have been grounded for 2 months now because I'm abroad on vacation. Currently dying from the need to fly. Should I expect to be back at square one when I finally fly again?
>>
>>701591
Forgot to mention I'm an 11 hour student
>>
>>701592
>>701591

Probably will need some refreshment but I doubt you'd be back at "square one"
>>
So I am an ~300 hour PPL-Instrument pilot

I've recently been laid off, trying to make do with various temp jobs over the last six month. I'm not thrilled with the idea of being a drone operator, but who knows, I might enjoy it.. Where would i start looking to become a drone operator?

I live in Northern California btw, I wouldn't mind moving, but I'd rather not. Does /n/ know a few places I might start? Google gives me fuck for "Drone pilot + NorCal"
>>
>>701557
I've been buying MSFS since FS95, but that's not a substitute for the 3 hours needed for your PPL
>>
>>701933
I think you will need a CPL first, though I'm not entirely sure.
>>
>>702018
working on that now actually, but it's been slow going.. funds are drying up
>>
>>701975
Oh hell no it would never suffice for logbook hours, but I mean you could use it to get familiar with some of the IFR instruments and concepts
>>
Had my first night cross-country tonight. It went really well, though i found it difficult to find the runway, especially at large airports (KONT)
>>
>>702150

You had trouble finding the big straight bits in the middle with the numbers and lines on them? They aren't exactly small, or camouflaged, though if it were your first time there then I could see having trouble finding the airport at first.
>>
>>702160
I understand the difficulty of finding a night strip. since from 5 miles out if you're at an angle it can sort of blend in with the surrounding lights.
>>
>>702150
My technique is to look for the relatively dark areas. At large airports especially, most of the airfield lighting is washed out by city lights. Even the rotating beacon can be difficult to find. Use a navaid or gps waypoint to get yourself set up for a good approach or traffic pattern entry, and once you get within 5 miles or so, the runway lights should be visible.

>>702160
You haven't done much night flying, have you?
>>
>>702447
Yea I was able to locate the general area of the airport by the large, dark space on the ground. I guess my problem was that I thought runway lights would be a lot more visible when approaching from a 90-degree angle. When I turned for final it was lit up like a christmas tree, but entering the downwind was difficult.
>>
I'm thinking about going to college for aviation
Will this help or hinder me?
>>
>>702769
mixed results.

It'll be more expensive and will take longer than if you just did it through a flying club/school and you'll have a pretty cookie cutter log book, but you will end up with a degree which is a nice asset.

It seems that at least in Canada the TSB is trying to move towards college programs by regulating clubs and schools to death.

I find the club i go to has such great resources and is a great place to meet older experienced pilots and get advice that helps with my flying that its invaluable as a resource. I can also go at my own pace which is faster than what the college would be going at while also working at two jobs too keep up with my flying habit.

that said i already have a degree.
>>
>>702781

Australia here, I am doing pretty much exactly what you are, and the instructors at my local flying club are mostly awesome old guys who are pretty good to talk to about flying. Got degrees over and done with years ago, and make enough at work to pay for lessons. I don't know what my job prospects are really but I'm going to give it a crack.
>>
>>703008
yeah same here, I work at the club i fly at so i get a 10% discount on my flying, I also work at the local international airport on the ramp. I love both jobs.

The flying club is great because i've gone flying or at least simulator with some pretty interesting pilots, One guy has over 10 000 hours on floats, another has flown the airbus A380, and another has type ratings on b25s, C47s, and a few other classic iconic aircraft. One guy wrote the official study guide for the private license and another club member actually wrote the government aviation weather guide, he also designed the graphical forecast that the government uses.

Such resources at hand that I might not have had access too if i had gone the school route.
>>
>>703015
wow.. where the hell are you based?
>>
>>703015
>Such resources at hand that I might not have had access too if i had gone the school route.
You might not have had them if you had gone to a different club either.
>>
Question.

It says I need 1000 hrs for type rating in an L29.

Is that 1000hrs in flying anything or is it for flying the jet?
Wouldn't 1000 hours take at least a year or two?
>>
Getting out of the military in a few months and i got my first call back from a potential employer for air traffic control. He sounded pretty enthusiastic and im supposed to start calling him weekly this month to start looking for open positions. Im pretty excited. I definitely lucked out doing ATC in the mil instead of a shitty job.
>>
>>703193
> tfw I might get drone duty in the USAF

Scared.

Captcha: Ketvide Sir
>>
>>703156
I'm guessing the former but I don't know.
>>
>>695115

Let me guess...you took off from Rockliffe Airport?

It's not south enough to be uplands....
>>
Marine here.
Will my command care if I go to get my pilots license? Should I tell them?
>>
>>688599
Y-you have 172s? We have 152s that are held together with duct tape and hope.
>>
Felt really good after my night cross-country last Friday. Then I had a mock checkride with a different instructor today and had my confidence shattered. Shit sucks but at least I have time to work on it.
>>
>>703820
Adding on to this, I'm really not sure if I like my new instructor. Up until this point, my old instructor just kind of sat back and let me fly the plane. Obviously if I did something wrong, he called me out on it, but this new instructor seems to want to micromanage everything I do. It was fine when he was getting on my back about my rusty rudder skills, but fucking christ, do you need to call me out every time the ball isn't centered before I've had a chance to correct it? Sorry for the rant
>>
File: 1406399360205.gif (42KB, 225x200px) Image search: [Google]
1406399360205.gif
42KB, 225x200px
>>703820
>>704240
Holy fucking shit this. I was a 10 hour student and I recently lost my old instructor (he got a job offering in the airlines) who was very professional and friendly. So I just partnered up with a new guy who is as garbage as can be. He refused my offer of a preflight discussion on what I was used to and the way I handeled things. Now we're in the air and awkwardly working off of each other's different ways of handling the airplane. He's constantly asking me things like "...really?" instead of directly telling me what I'm doing wrong.
So now we're on the approach and things aren't going well. The wind is surprisingly severe and I am way too high. I call for a go around, and his literal words are "you call yourself a pilot?" and he takes over control without alerting me. He makes a risky ass dive and tells me to take control back 10 feet above the ground. I don't react on time and we hit hard. The airplane is swerving around at this point and I desperately try to take off again, leaving the flaps down. We lift off again, and this fucker tells me "look what you've forgotten" and retracts ALL OF MY FLAPS while we're at 50 feet. We plummet down and I recover the airplane at about 10 feet with the stall horn blaring and the apartment complex at the end of the runway growing closer and closer. I level the plane off in the desperate hope to regain my speed and just clear the building.
And when the flight was over, the instructor jumped in his car and drove home, leaving me with the airplane and an empty logbook.
>>
>>704500
wow fuck that faggot, he put lives at risk, report him right away.

His job is to teach you how to fly not to critique your current level of knowladge.

Get another instructor or tell the company your going somewhere else.
>>
>>704500
My ass clenched so hard it took a bite out of my couch. Holy fucking shit. But for a 10 hour student you reacted appropriately and you may even be the only reason both of you are alive
>>
>>704500
That sounds absolutely terrible. I had a really good instructor, he was an older guy who had 30+ years of CFI experience so he knew what he was doing. He was there to teach pilots rather than just waiting for a call from the airlines This guy would always explain things to me in a way that drove home the point, but also didn't shatter my confidence. He spent a lot of time going over our flights on the ground, but made sure to be reasonable when billing me for ground instruction. Then he retired, and I got a new guy. New guy firmly believed his way was the only right way, and if you did anything a different way, you were wrong. He was also VERY liberal when charging me for ground instruction and I'm 100% sure I paid for instruction time I never received. Asshole.
>>
>>704500
wow, reading this almost made me physically sick.. I'm so sorry you had to experience that anon, and I'm glad you lived. Definitely report his ass to your local FSDO. I could not imagine having something like that happen to me when I was a 10 hour pilot. I'm lucky in that the flight school I've hired instructors from for the last ten years have all been level-headed and super nice people. I'd recommend hiring from a Part 141 school, even if you're going the Part 61 route, I can't think of a school that has examining authority that would hire dirtbags like the one you flew with.

Maybe I'll start a thread about flight instructor/student horror stories, might be an entertaining and informative read.
>>
>>704500
Pretty unprofessional :\
I'd ask for a new instructor
>>
>>703820
>>704240

Yeah every instructor has their own way, in spite of air laws, company operating procedures, and other shit, and that becomes apparent when you change instructors.

If it shakes your confidence it should motivate you to learn more, I think.

>micromanage everything
I agree this is annoying, but to put it in another light I just did a truck license training and test day yesterday, and the trainer was literally giving me a running commentary on my driving and how shit it was, etc, but that constant nagging payed off in the end, I got my license.

Whenever I feel shaken by my pilot training I try to learn from it and overcome it.

Hope this helps anon
>>
>>704795
Yea I am hopeful that it will make me into a better pilot, so I will stick with him. Reminds me of when I was getting my drivers license and my driving instructor game me a mock driving test. I did horrible and would have failed miserably if it were the real thing. But that experience really woke me up and I learned a lot, I ended up passing my driving test only missing 1 point. Obviously a pilots license is tougher, but I guess this guy could have a similar effect.
>>
Anyone got any funny flightawares?
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE236/history/20120209/2100Z/KBFI/KBFI
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N750CX/history/20080307/1745Z/KICT/KICT
>>
>>677202
So I recently applied to a air traffic controller training ad that was put out by the national air navigation services agency and noticed they mention how applicants wil have to take some FEAST tests. Does anyone have any experience with abovementioned tests or the procedures/training required to become a fully licenced atc?
>>
File: lineup.jpg (485KB, 2017x933px) Image search: [Google]
lineup.jpg
485KB, 2017x933px
>>
Had 2 of my students fly their first solo navigation flights. Had one more pass his pre solo navigation flight check.

Had to fail another student, from another instructor (we're an integrated CPL school), he's going to have one or more flights before another check.

Also just after one of my students landed, i was driving on the runway (uncontrolled airfield, we drive to the runway threshold to watch and monitor the students landing when flying solo), i noticed a turtled running across the runway, and we had another airplane coming in almost turning final, so i quickly grabbed the turtle with me in the car and let it go outside the fenced airport area.

Also have to slow down often while taxiing on the runway after landing because of all the eagles, smaller falcons, pheasants, crows, hares and what not...
>>
>>677369
Could become a bush pilot.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw 300th post

Here's a picture I took from a recent solo flight.
300 points to anyone who can identify the airport
>>
Are you there, Chris Seto?
>>
>>704990
>Anyone got any funny flightawares?

lol holy shit these people have way too much cash
>>
>>705013
Pls respond
>>
Helicopter CFII here, about to start my fixed-wing addons. Any other helibros out there that made the transition? How was it?

I have a few hours in fixed-wing from about almost 10 years ago, and recently had the opportunity to ride along with my little brother who just started his airplane private rating. After hundreds of hours in rotorcraft and so many years since I'd been in a small plane, I found the experience rather jarring. Wondering how it will feel to take the controls again, and how hard it will be to break old helicopter habits that don't apply well to airplanes.
>>
>>699536
Is this KBDN? Almost positive that's the ProAir FBO in the background.
>>
BUMP LIMIT REACHED, NEW THREAD
>>706470
>>706470
>>706470
>>706470
>>
hiij
>>
>>709321
testo plow
>>
>>709323
waffles
>>
>>709324
>>709324
plumping
>>
>>709326
pfffft
>>
butrp
>>
>>709330
flap.
>>
>>709331
lATONE
>>
File: 1403488759875.gif (474KB, 127x139px) Image search: [Google]
1403488759875.gif
474KB, 127x139px
>>709321
>>709323
>>709324
>>709326
>>709327
>>709330
>>709331
>>709332

You're one of a kind ol son
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 93

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.