[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/noise/ thread - wageslave edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

File: 1475557256758.jpg (63KB, 340x377px) Image search: [Google]
1475557256758.jpg
63KB, 340x377px
I haven't seen a noise thread in a while.

What are you listening to?
Working on?
See any shows recently?

Currently digging this Macronympha tape while in the office
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjbExzSLQZU
>>
I think I'm going to be on a compilation with macronympha in a bit. Anyway I'm just listening to xenophobic ejaculation
>>
>>69698959
That's awesome, anon! Details on the comp?
>>
>I haven't seen a noise thread in a while.

That's because the general is dead. The only people who still try to force it are the bad Bandcamp shills.
>>
>>69699019
The general is dead because of people like you
>>
>>69699019
OP here, I don't have a BC or Soundcloud. I don't make noise, I just like listening to it, and talking about it with anons.
>>
File: folder.jpg (15KB, 333x478px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
15KB, 333x478px
i'm too pleb for pure noise like Macronympha , I need some Ambient thrown into the mix

>>69698813
i love megg
>>
>>69699039
no, the general is dead because the people who keep forcing it don't actually know anything about noise
"good" noise threads on /mu/ consist of people posting their bandcamps and links to extremely entry-level shit on youtube
bad noise threads consist of the same thing with a ton of shitposting on top
it's an awful general, always has been
>>
>>69699039
I don't think that's true, but I wouldn't feel bad if it was. /noise/ was an embarrassment.
>>
>>69699071
I love Megg too.

Honestly the only noise I have trouble listening too is the stuff with really high frequencies. The super-crunchy swirling stuff is what I live for, but the slow-burn ambient stuff is good too.
>>
>>69699001
Not sure if the guy minds me saying anything but I'll just say that vaginal pentagram is putting it together and it's coming out on the 20th I think
>>
>>69699187
any similar recs to Croatian Amor or the gentle side of Prurient?
>>
>>69699197
your netlabel is shit
>>
>>69699246
Ramleh if you haven't listened to them already.
The Skaters are really cool and underrated. They're more tribal and trippy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en7-xZni79g
>>
>12 posts in and the thread already contains all the /noise/ hallmarks like self-promotion, exclusively entry-level bands and shitposting

how many more of these threads is it going to take before you realize that the idea of a noise general on /mu/ is never going to fly
>>
>>69698813
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrIsr1-lPt0

Already posted this in /ambient/ but I don't care. This guy has been around since the mid 80s, he's prolific, influential, and original. Not a single record sounds the same.
>>
>>69699317
>The Skaters
>underrated

They were actually one of the biggest names in 2000s US noise, but I'm not surprised that someone whose entire contact with noise comes from 4chan and RYM charts wouldn't know that.
>>
Can i get some entry level noise recommendations, so far i've listened to sissy spacek-self titled would like to explore more
>>
>>69699369
Lightning Bolt - Wonderful Rainbow
Animal Collective - Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
Ramleh - Hole In The Heart
>>
>>69699351
Then share some deep cuts. I'm all ears
>>69699369
While You Were Out is a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXqGsXg5SQ&t=1s
>>
>>69699385
lmao
so this... is the power... of the /mu/ noise general
>>
>>69699398
Well, they DID ask for entry-level.

Christ these threads make me sad.
>>
>>69699388
>Then share some deep cuts.

Sure, here's one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyVMQ-1lJ6c
>>
>>69699351
Yeah, they're basically top 40 pop.

So sick of these plebs. I only listen to obscure 1 of 3 run shit like anal fuckage and dying death.
>>
>>69699408
that doesn't make lightning bolt and animal collective noise bands though
retard may as well have mentioned xiu xiu and health lmao

>Christ these threads make me sad.

so stop making them kek
>>
>>69699436
>le noise rock isn't Noise meme
Yeah, nu males will never understand.
>>
>>69699427
>anal fuckage and dying death

Nah.
Those made-up band names sound like talentless digital Bandcamp noise with terrible-looking gory covers made in Paint, and I avoid that shit like the plague.
>>
>>69699436
>Stop talking about things because you don't talk about them right
>>
>>69699436
>so stop making them kek
Yeah, I didn't make the thread. We'd all be better off if you stopped posting entirely, obviously.
>>
>>69699474
>these are the people who keep saying that everyone but them is the reason noise threads on /mu/ are always shit

You are ignorant and stupid as fuck lel.
>>
>>69699474
is this post a joke
>>
these kind of thread it why i never listen to Noise
>>
>>69699505
I don't even post in this shitty general

>>69699541
Harsh Noise and Noise Rock are both subgenres of Noise.

>>69699568
You're weak.
>>
>>69699568
>not listening to a genre because some autistic elitists shame people trying to get into it

Op here, throw on some Masonna and have a ball, anon. I mistakenly believed that the autist that always bitches about noise threads would've given up his shitflinging, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't follow your ear.
>>
>>69699629
>I mistakenly believed that the autist that always bitches about noise threads would've given up his shitflinging, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't follow your ear.
It's the same guy? Not surprising, actually.
>>
>>69699649
I assume so, he always makes the same comments.
>>
Current listening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x44grzIBck
>>
File: 1481861852564.jpg (29KB, 399x385px) Image search: [Google]
1481861852564.jpg
29KB, 399x385px
/noise/ is dead. Stop making these threads.

>>69699593
>Harsh Noise and Noise Rock are both subgenres of Noise.

>mfw
>>
>>69699629
>>69699667
>it is easier for the retards who keep making shitty, clueless threads about noise on /mu/ to come up with some contrived narrative where all the people who keep calling them clueless are actually just one guy with a bone to pick and everyone else thinks they're great and patrician than it is to accept the possibility that maybe their threads really are shit and maybe they really are clueless and maybe a bunch of different people have noticed why that is

talk about denial lel
>>
>>69699959
A thread is only as good as its posters, and I haven't seen any of the shitposters here try to contribute anything. You're part of the problem.
>>
File: hands_PNG960.png (1MB, 1334x1546px) Image search: [Google]
hands_PNG960.png
1MB, 1334x1546px
>>69699885
K
>>
>>69699248
Mine? Which label do you think I run?
>>
>>69699982
>A thread is only as good as its posters

which must be why i've seen more than one person who used to post in /noise/ and earnestly try to contribute and make the general and its listeners more knowledgeable(as opposed to the "shitposters" who just tell you that the thread is shit) complain about how utterly disinterested and incapable /noise/ posters are in finding music on their own or making contributions of their own or at least finally getting over fucking ramleh and kazumoto endo

all the people who did try to contribute to this general just ended up becoming bitter about wasting time and effort on you mongs and leaving lel, why would i make the same mistake
>>
>>69700153
Then why are you here? Just let the thread die if you don't like it
>>
>>69700153
>erson who used to post in /noise/ and earnestly try to contribute and make the general and its listeners more knowledgeable(as opposed to the "shitposters" who just tell you that the thread is shit) complain about how utterly disinterested and incapable /noise/ posters are in finding music on their own or making contributions of their own or at least finally getting over fucking ramleh and kazumoto endo

I have to admit that this is true and is the reason why I stopped bothering with this general. At a certain point it just gets so tiresome and you start feeling like an idiot.
At this point I just wish these threads would die off for good. They're a lost cause.
>>
>>69700278
why not

>>69700386
/noise/ was started by people who didn't know anything about noise in the first place and just wanted to get some "patrician" albums to put on their top 100 charts and RYM profiles
the early /noise/ threads were as much of a clueless failure as the recent /noise/ threads are, there's just less tripfags
a general built on such weak foundations was never going to get good
>>
>>69700489
I know all that now but at the time I thought if you keep hanging around for long enough and keep being friendly and helpful the whole thing might finally take off.
Clearly I was wrong, you can lead a horse to water and all that.

It's fucking funny in a way though, even when I see stuff posted in these threads that isn't the usual Merzbow/Vomir/Whitehouse shit, it's just the shit that I or the few other dudes who stuck around trying to make the thread better posted at one time or another. Like >>69699732, I posted that fucking tape in a few threads. It never seems to be something these people found on their own, their familiarity with noise music essentially begins and ends with this general.
>>
>>69700593
I found that tape through subscribing to that account.

I don't know the best way to stay on top of new noise stuff, so I rely mostly on youtube recommendations from what I've listened to before. It's been working for me so far. Forgive me for reposting.
>>
>>69700593
>It never seems to be something these people found on their own, their familiarity with noise music essentially begins and ends with this general.

that's probs why they're so unwilling to let the general die even though it's one of the worst generals on the board

>>69700638
but you probs found that channel through this thread, i remember people posting a bunch of shit that guy uploaded in /noise/ over time
>>
>>69700715
I found him through my Ferraro phase, and I didn't find him through /noise/
>>
>>69699885
>/noise/ is dead. Stop making these threads.

this.

i don't think i've ever seen a noise thread on /mu/ that wasn't a painful read in one way or another.

it's either a bunch of shitposters or a bunch of underage shitters who seem to have discovered noise on reddit yesterday or both.

i'll be glad to see it go.
>>
Why is it so important how people find things? I mean I understand how the notion of spoonfeeding is lame but if people find the music and are able to say something interesting about it then why is that bad? I think the genre doesn't lend itself well to discussion to be perfectly honest. No one actually talks about the music itself, just the scene and the artists and their albums and what's "good" and what is not. It's becomes a fashion statement more than anything. I love noise and listening to and making it but I've come to the conclusion that trying to discuss it with people is generally pretty fruitless. Your personal enjoyment of a noise album is exactly that: personal. It's often really abstract and hard to communicate with others. It's not a genre you can just discuss normally and frequently. I get nothing out of hearing other people online attempt to describe their sentiments so it's not really worth talking about
>>
>>69700930
>I think the genre doesn't lend itself well to discussion to be perfectly honest.

that's because you don't actually have any idea about how it works or what distinguishes one noise album/artist from another. you don't know where it's coming from, you don't know what it's doing or why, you don't know where it's going, of course you won't be capable of saying anything worth saying about it. same way i don't have any idea about dub reggae and progressive rock.

and there's nothing wrong with that really, the same goes for pretty much everyone in these threads, but that is why i don't understand what the point of these generals is. nobody in them knows anything about noise, nobody isn't particularly interested in learning, why not just accept that and move on?
so i suppose i actually agree with you, noise isn't worth talking about. at least not on /mu/.
>>
>>69700930
>the /mu/tants who supposedly like noise enough to make and post in threads about it have the same clueless "it's just noise lel what even is there to talk about" mentality and level of education that the people who hate noise do

actually explains a lot lmao

>so it's not really worth talking about

agreed
so please stop making these threads
>>
Are you supposed to discuss the equipment you use? Should you be describing what emotions things evoke? I'm not sure what people thing good noise discussion is supposed to look like, but I don't really see any genre discussed in that way, especially not here. Anyone can listen to a noise track and if they actually listen they can pretty easily identify which specific sounds and effects they find pleasing and interesting. There's nothing insightful or interesting about that to me. I'm trying to just envision what you enjoy discussing about the music.
>>
There's nothing illegitimate about a sincere but simple enjoyment. There's no correct way to like things. I will concede that not all enjoyments warrant discussion
>>
What are some cool things I can slap a contact mic onto to make noise?
>>
>>69701528
Anything you can slap or shake around.
Mic an appliance for some cool drones you can process or otherwise fuck with later.
>>
>>69701609
yeah maybe ill try a washing machine
>>
>>69701944
I used to work in at my uni cafeteria, and we had an industrial washing machine and conveyor belt that made the coolest sounds. I wish I'd recorded them
>>
>>69700930
>>69701375
>>69701422
This is genuine autism.
>>
>>69702121
Why
>>
Where does real noise discussion take place online?
>>
>>69702542
If anyone here knows, they probably wouldn't share it in fear that the influx of plebs would spoil it
>>69702598
So I can learn more about it.
>>
I'm trying to build my Noise vocabulary and was wondering if you all could help me out. Now I like this album here but I'm not sure how to articulate what I like about it. To me, it sounds very good. I like the monotonous rumbling static and how the sort of playful screeches dance over the top of it. I love the visual aesthetic and I like Sam's style and emphasis on source material. If someone were to probe me much further beyond that then I'd probably struggle a bit. I might go into describing how it makes me feel, to some extent, but other than that I'm sort of at a loss. If there's anyone knowledgeable who likes this album, what do you like about it? I've never seen discussion deeper then this level happen here or anywhere and I'm just wondering what it looks like. Obviously I'm not going to just copy what you say and make that my new opinion so don't feel shy. I'm just at a loss
>>
>>69702672
>>69702711
I've found some cool stuff to listen to, so pretty well.
>>
>>69702641
There are 16 posters ITT so it's not like hundreds of people are reading this thread waiting to invade some new website. I just want to observe real discussion. I'm not sure how else learning can take place
>>
File: rita the rack.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
rita the rack.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
>>69702844
I think you expressed it pretty well. It's almost cinematic how the art, title and the sound create a very specific narrative despite how abstract the music is.

I think I blame Sam for my stocking fetish for that reason. His stuff is very tactile
>>
>>69703056
I didn't express it well because that's the level I talk about things and people bitch about it so I'm clearly doing something wrong
>>
>>69703077
Fuck those people. Like anon said before, noise prompts some very personal reactions in listeners that can be difficult to articulate, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
>>
File: ottoman black.jpg (586KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ottoman black.jpg
586KB, 700x700px
yo this shit's fire btw
>>
>>69703162
But I thought that anon was supposed to be wrong...
>>
File: front.jpg (11KB, 200x199px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
11KB, 200x199px
/noise/, what is your favorite noise record and why

recently I like
Wolf Eyes- burned mind
and
Kites- royal paint...
>>
>>69703268
What did you like about these releases? I can't stand wolf eyes, personally. Extremely arrogant guys from what I've read
>>
>>69703268
Gero - Instruments Disorder

Because its exhilarating in wahy that their other releases aren't. TAD and Yellow Trash Bazooka are of the same ilk but too disjointed. I love how ID feels like an unbroken jam
>>
>>69703427
Exhilarating in a way the other releases aren't? I don't follow
>>
Post something I haven't heard OR tell me something I don't know about a release I have heard.
>>
>>69703460
Their other noisecore stuff is fun but sillier, sloppier. In addition, the noisecore releases are just a fraction of their output which includes ambient, spoken word, turntable experiments, etc.

ID is fun in how fast, angry and tight musically it is, mostly because of Yoshida from Ruins on drums. It never loses its focus for a second except for that one great delay between songs with just guitar feedback screaming until the countdown starts again.
>>
>>69703291
>What did you like about these releases?
i'm still getting used to noise in a few ways but I like that they don't totally eschew rhythm and structure, plus they both employ a broad field of sounds, which I find pretty exciting

>>69703427
>Instruments Disorder
I agree, I like how it is kind of an unbroken piece, but it feels too long for me in that way. when I listened to it, it reached a point of redundancy part way through, like they ran out of new things to give the listener but they kept going for the fun of it
>>
>>69703669
I know what you mean, Gero is pretty exhausting to listen to. Have you heard None Friendly? It's their ambient release made from the tone of a guitar tuner. It's actually very pretty and seems to glide on by.
>>
Bad thread. Terrible even.
You kids need to stick with Swans, Grimes and Death Grips.

>>69703291
I've met almost all of the major Wolf Eyes guys and was in semi-regular correspondence with a couple of them back in the day. They're some of the least arrogant and least pretentious people you could ever meet.
>>
>>69704020
That's surprising to me because all that "trip metal" and "noise is over" shit I was hearing from them made it seem like they thought they were some sort of authority on that subject or something. But I never talked to them myself so I guess it's good to know they aren't the assholes I feared they were
>>
>>69704081
It was pretty obvious that the Trip Metal stuff was taking the piss out of the noise scene
>>
>>69703849
>Have you heard None Friendly?
no, but it sounds interesting. thanks!
>>
>>69704126
Yeah I find that shit obnoxious. But I guess if it's all good natured and doesn't bug anyone else then oh well
>>
>/noise/ bitches about trolls ruining their threads and stifling good discussion
>trolls leave and finally allow /noise/ to have their quality discussions
>/noise/ posts The Rita, Gerogerigegege, Wolf Eyes and Jason Crumer and then promptly starts sliding down the board index

lmao
>>
>>69704200
I'd say humor and absurdity/dada has been a big part of noise from the start.
>>
>>69704493
Yeah this thread just bums me out
>>
>>69704543
I guess I just have a hard time balancing irreverence with being taken seriously but that's just me
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.