[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Today i will listen to some post-punk from the 70's and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

File: hqdefault (2).jpg (6KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
6KB, 480x360px
Today i will listen to some post-punk from the 70's and the 80's.

I will start with pic related, an album i never heard before, i will listen to it soon though

Recommend to me some good post-punk albums from that era ITT
>>
>>62066932
>germs
>post punk
>>
>>62067048
I haven't heard the album yet, i said so in the OP...

for some reason i thought they were post-punk but now that i go to rym i see that they are just classified as "Hardcore Punk, Punk Rock"...

Recommend me some post-punk then anon
>>
>>62067088
>he'd rather listen to some trash-ass prententious post-punk wankery than Germs
>>
considering that album is not post-punk, just punk, I'll recommend these

Husker Dü - Zen Arcade
The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Crass - The Feeding of the 5000
X - Los Angeles
The Dead Milkmen - Big Lizard in my Backyard

For more genuine post punk shit

Public Image Ltd. - Metal Box(also called Second Edition) and First Edition
The Pop Group - Y
This Heat - This Heat and also Deceit
Gang of Four - Entertainment
just generally The Talking Heads

And fuck it, if you wanna go deeper, go into no wave, get the brian eno compilation and the first couple Sonic Youth and Swans albums/EPs, listen to Glenn Branca, listen to James Chance and the Contortions, have a good time, be safe, don't let your ears bleed, all will be well
>>
This chart: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanmusic/images/d/df/PostPunkFlowChart.jpg
>>
>>62067126
OH and the obligatory Marquee Moon
>>
germs is more hardcore punk than post punk but still essential.

check out stuff like
television
richard hell
wire
public image limited
gang of four
pop group
joy division
bauhaus
the cure
>>
does no wave count?

if so listen to No New York

also Suicide - Suicide, Talking Heads - Remain in Light, and New Order - Low Life
>>
>>62067106
Well from what i heard i liked post punk alot more than just punk rock.

I tried Dead Kennedys, The Ramones and also The Clash, i wasn't a huge fan of either.

It's a matter of taste anon... you should have expressed your opinion more respectfully too, it would have been nicer.

>>62067126
>>62067170
I know Husker Du, Minutemen, The Pop Group, This Heat, and Marquee Moon. I loved most of them with the exception of Marquee Moon and The Pop Group but i need to relisten to those
>>
also the chameleons
>>
crazyaga have you heard of the band joy division
>>
someone please post that picture of crazyaga getting rekt and crying or something
>>
>>62068396
cool
>>
>>62067693
Of course.

I think they are very overrated. i will give them another chance though
>>
>>62068448
oh yeah theyre on your list of music for people who've never felt true sadness right?
>>
crazyaga do you have a last.fm/rym
>>
>>62068483
Oh cmon that was from ages ago. (and even then i'm pretty sure i did not imply the artist haven't felt true sadness. it was about the way i perceived it back then)

Plz forget about that list, okay? ~

>>62068536
I have rym but i rarely use my account, i usually use it to see ratings and discover new albums, and when i rate what i listened to i write it down in a notepad document. i tried to transfer some of my notepad ratings to the rym account some time ago but it took really long and i stopped
>>
>>62066932
>post-punk
wat b-but op thats not... nevermind
>>
>>62067256

>He's not a huge fan of Ramones and Strummers

Go back to your mum's womb and start life all over again.
>>
>>62069555
Learn to respect opinions of others. the fact you express your opinion in such a rude manner says nothing about me, but only negative things about you.
>>
Minion Of The Classic Duct
Utterly Sultan
Profusion Exhaust And The Beloved Commander
Swirling Cavern
Transit Voice
Transformer Alliance
Utterly Spot
Burly Xerox
Mineral Soda
Imprisoned Blackout
Shame Hallucination
Tremor Gin
Eruption Of The Lean Kidney
Throbbing Aggression
Night Mansion
The Chameleons
>>
>>62069985
i love these posts of yours
>>
Album that i have decided to listen to today:

Germs - GI
Crass - The Feeding of the 5000
The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
Gang of Four - Entertainment
Joy Division - Closer (relisten)
Television - Marquee Moon (relisten)

Thanks for everyone who commented
>>
File: 738_large_1.jpg (143KB, 600x859px) Image search: [Google]
738_large_1.jpg
143KB, 600x859px
>>62066932
germs is the purest form of punk available. there's nothing 'post' about it. gi is an amazing album though so you should definitely still listen to it. i just finished reading pic related and now i have so much more respect for what they did
>>
>>62071813
I'm hearing GI right now. I'm not a fan of it so far, it's not terrible though. can you tell me why do you love this album so much?
>>
>>62071904
I was just at the start of the album when i made this comment. We Must Bleed was pretty good
>>
>>62071647
Entertainment! is quintessential. If you love the ideas behind it, you'll love the genre.
>>
The Sound - Jeopardy (1980)
>post-punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3kQPJZPBN8

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/AyfPswhY/file.html

Super underrated, super catchy group. First album is the best.
>>
>>62069985
get it cause they all sound like awful bands that tcb would listen to once and then share lol
>>
File: post-punk-chart-final.jpg (4MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
post-punk-chart-final.jpg
4MB, 5000x5000px
>>62071647
Here you go bro, hmu on rym and lastfm. Don't forget to listen to Chameleons.
>>
>>62071904
listening to it with today's hindsight probably won't do it much justice because their sound has been aped by pretty much every punk band to release something since. But, at the time it was really original and ground-breaking.

darby crash was a cross between a psycho and a genius. he grew up in some scientology cult which not only brainwashed him, but also taught him how to brainwash others using the power of language. he was constantly manipulating people to give him things, and his end-goal was to be able to brainwash people on a massive scale through his lyrics, in order to perpetuate his radical beliefs and ideologies. this was something that he believed david bowie was already successfully doing. he was obsessed with bowie and iggy pop, and i think those influences are discernible within the mess of their music, adding a subtle catchiness and accessibility to the chaos

it's definitely something that makes more sense with some contextual insight, but even without that, it's a really fast, raw, and high energy record. And, it basically gave birth to hardcore punk.

hope this helped. if you're really curious i would definitely recommend reading lexicon devil
>>
>>62072407
charts like this are so autofellatio that it hurts
>>
>>62072598
Not to mention it's bullshit anyway. Crazy Rhythms is the epitome of jangle pop, and it's not even in that section.

Also I have to point out that Echo is a singles band, and Television Personalities is a terrible band.
>>
>>62072752
>Television Personalities
theyre not they are great
my dad is a big fan and got me into them :^)

fuck autofellatio charts though so shudder worthy
>>
>>62072791
I won't begrudge you them, but they do absolutely nothing for me, and they get praised constantly.
>>
>>62072090
lexicon devil, we must bleed, and shut down are probably the best songs on the album
>>
>>62067048
>>62067088
>>62068695

hardcore punk is actually a form post-punk, as is pop-punk. anything "punk" that evolved out of the original genre actually. post-punk as its own genre is actually fucking stupid. for example, joy division, this heat and interpol sound nothing alike
>>
>>62072407
Literally none of these apart from the well known names are worthy of a listen at all
Fucking pmodel are you actually serious
>>
>>62072752
nah that chart is pretty great. Crazy rhythms might be the best jangle pop album but its not the jangliest of jangle pop
>>
>>62072901
But doesn't it make your self-worth inflate and seem cultured when you tell others about the gospel of post-punk?
>>
>>62072939
P Model is pretty good, but it's not synthpunk
>>
>>62072942
It's janglier than Echo and TV Personalities, by like a lot.
>>
>>62072996
They're not good at all it's just stupid "make the music as jumpy as possible" punk

Fuck Devo and b52s for starting this type of music
>>
GI just ended. Shut Down is the best part of this Germs album IMO. despite Shut Down being very good, overall i was not a fan of the album as a whole though.

>>62072444
Oh well, that is quite a sad story, scientology is absolutely terrible.

well, it felt a bit disturbing hearing someone singing about wanting my mind and soul for me, but i definitely to not feel "brainwashed, at all. i still have the exact same ideologies and i still feel like myself. i'm just disturbed that i just heard an attempt to brainwash me without even knowing it.

In my opinion, he seems like a troubled psycho not a genius. despite the fact that to be honest i haven't even understood most of what he said - the type of mind-control he is trying to do here is merely pseudo-science. people are not going to change the ideologies they have developed during their lifetime just because someone tried to "brainwash" them. from my experience, even trying to persuade people through logical arguments that they are wrong, can be extremely difficult due to the fact many people are very stubborn. the type of "mind control" that happens worldwide through religion is a very difference case - it's a combination of people growing into those ideologies from a very young age, lack of exposure to people outside of their religious communities, as well as immense social pressure.

So, i feel discomfort, and quite disturbed, but not "brainwashed".
>>
U2 - War
>>
File: Marquee_moon_album_cover.jpg (57KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Marquee_moon_album_cover.jpg
57KB, 300x300px
>>62066932
you haven't heard this masterpiece Kappa
>>
>>62073350
Wank
Best stuff is from 90s
>>
>>62072444
I think the only band that's ever successfully altered my mindset and "brainwashed" me in any capacity was Throbbing Gristle. Their albums are littered with Magick that's sure to leave the listener, at the very least, horribly uneasy if you kinda let go and roll with it. Genesis P. Orridge be crazy. The only other thing I can think of that had the same effect would be like any Jodorowsky movie, what with the psychomagic and whatnot
>>
>>62073187
i totally understand that. and in a way i agree with you. i don't think that it's as effective as darby had intended it to be, but the idea behind it isn't supposed to be literally subliminal brainwash. it was more built around the idea that rhetoric is the most powerful tool that we have as humans. darby was taught this all the way through his high school experience. he believed in this esoteric power associated with verbal communication (hence the name 'lexicon devil') sure i don't feel like it's had this profound effect on me, but as a college student studying communications, i definitely think that his beliefs regarding language were correct to some extent.
>>
>>62073407
I heard it and i wasn't a huge fan, but i will relisten to it today, you can see the lineup of albums i will listen to here >>62071647

GI is done, Crass - The Feeding of the 5000 is next

>>62072404
Maybe, maybe i will listen to this too, after i'll finish the 6 albums i mentioned in my post
>>
>>62072901
That's like saying any rock subgenre is post-rock, which is just as stupid as what you're saying
>>
>>62073454
>Their albums are littered with Magick
out of curiosity, can you expand on this?
>>
Is there any good modern post punk
No Interpol shit

Will take anything that is okay to good
>>
>>62066932
Bauhaus first album, Marrakesh by Reeperbahn and Nowa Alexandria by Siekiera
>>
>>62066932
Not Post Punk
Listen to
Chrome - Alien Soundtracks
This Heat - This Heat
Ludus - The Visit / Seduction
The Stick Men - Insatiable

>>62072901
>interpreting music genres by their actual names instead of their definitions
Do you think Jungle music is music that sounds from the jungle or something?

>>62073407
Marquee Moon is not Post Punk. Art Punk is more accurate though.

>>62073532
Arab on Radar
>>
>>62073459
I agree that language and communication have alot of power, but i don't think it's the most powerful thing we have as humans. you can go to a more fundamental level than that - our mind and ability to think is more powerful
>>
why is bauhaus so underrated?
>>
>>62073744
They are not
>>
>>62073501
well it's no secret that Genesis P Orridge was a practitioner of Chaos Magic and Thelemic ideals, even going as far as starting his own order (Thee Temple ov Psychic Youth) and later, with Psychic TV "a band dedicated to musical eclecticism and magical experiment, their performances being in part ritual (ab)use of sound samples, the creation of 'auditory magical sigils' and the destruction of consensus language in order to find meaning."

I guess it's more prevalent in his later stuff, but it comes across in the musical structures and lyricism of Throbbing Gristle as well, and even dates as far back as a lot of the COUM transmission stuff. Most people in the industrial scene are involved in a lot of that stuff, but especially TG cause COUM Transmission was late 60s at the height of Crowley's prevalence in the art world
>>
>>62073532
Women
Viet Cong
>>
>>62073744
for the same reason the sisters of mercy are underrated: the stigma of being a "goth" band
bauhaus was great
daniel ash is an extremely underappreciated guitarist
>>
>>62073759
on this board they are.
>>
>>62073532
Savages are decent
Makthaverskan
Sextile
Ought
>>
>>62073779
interesting stuff. i didn't know about any of this. in your opinion, which of their releases feels the most occult?
>>
>>62073817
Neither here.
Looking at the archives, they had over one hundred mentions in less than 40 days, or roughly 2 mentions per day.
That's not underrated on /mu/
>>
>>62073885
it just seems like every time they're brought up here somebody trashes them
>>
>>62073928
They are not underrated, and they certainly aren't trashed on here more than the average artists on /mu/.
>>
>>62073532
Soft Moon - self titled is 10/10
>>
>>62073885
I'm sure if they were Bauhaus threads there would be multiple mentions of them in each thread. Try searching in OP posts only. LastFm mentions and chart thread circlejerks shouldn't count.
>>
>>62073999
More than two mentions per day is not underrated, regardless of lastfm threads or chart circlejerks.
>I'm sure if they were Bauhaus threads there would be multiple mentions of them in each thread.
If the band has their own threads that's even less of a reason to call them underrated.
>>
>>62073877
I mean I was sort of throwing it all together, so i'd say Psychic TV (like Force The Hand of Chance especially) is more steeped in all this stuff, but as far as TG, pretty much any of their albums, certainly 20 Jazz Funk Greats, and maybe Third Annual Report has more of it as well.
>>
>>62074050
I will also say that the thing with occultism is that it's kind of hard to go at it without an open mind about it, so maybe do some reading about like Crowley and Thelema in general before diving in looking for it
>>
>>62074042
Not saying they are underrated. Forgot to mention that. They are the granddaddies of goth after all other than that one other female fronted band founded during the punk explosion that I forgot the name.
>>
>>62074157
Siouxsie & the Banshees?
>>
>>62074278
No, not them.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.