[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Father John Misty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

File: Josh-Tillman-012.jpg (37KB, 465x279px) Image search: [Google]
Josh-Tillman-012.jpg
37KB, 465x279px
Thoughts on Father John Misty?
>>
awful music for teenagers
fleet foxes were at least a 5/10 but its pathetic how shit father john misty is
DUDE SWEARING LMAO
>>
>>62061473

would bang
>>
>>62061473
I like him, he's emotional, he's got clever lyrics, and the memers hate him.
>>
>>62061473
Our generation's Harry Nilsson
>>
>>62061494
DUDE DUDE LMAO LMAO
>>
the white dean blunt. just needs to make a metal album like dean is doing for rap
>>
File: B5BSVqH.png (581KB, 599x825px) Image search: [Google]
B5BSVqH.png
581KB, 599x825px
>>62061494
>>
>>62061473
He's like if Fleet Foxes were ironic shitposters
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 618x621px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 618x621px
what does a priest have to do with music

saged
>>
>>62061494
There's literally zero content in this post
>>
>>62061551
yeah this makes a lot of sense

he's very talented, and he gave irony the asshole swagger it needed to make me finally hate it
>>
>>62061494

>DUDE SWEARING LMAO

he uses like, maybe six swear words on his entire new album

fuck off
>>
there is legitimate reason to dislike him, but memers like >>62061494 dont have any

i think hes definetly a product of our time. cynical with some edginess but self awareness. its all very "tryhard" but i like him for it
>>
It's the same as when chick LOOOOVED Devendra Banhart like 9 years ago or whatever.
>>
>>62062041
Really? I don't see it as tryhard/edgy because the whole reason he made FJM was to reflect the bitter sarcastic personality that he couldn't in Fleet Foxes. It's the exact opposite of tryhard, he's being genuine to himself, and the public just sees it that way because it's different.
>>
He's intentionally pretentious and I commend him for it. I think there needs to be SOME confident pretetion in the music world at any given time just to act as a counterbalance to the "lazy pop music is the best" fear of pretension or being called a hipster thing. I like a lot of top-40 pop, but there's a point where "poptimism" (if you want to call it that) is just too much when reputable publications are writing deep think-pieces on songs written by Max Martin and artists have to pretend to love everything on Twitter and get hounded if they don't (like Ed Droste being run off Twitter and even shunned by his friends HAIM for not liking Taylor Swift and thinking she's fake).

Also his music sounds good and is well written.
>>
>>62062321
>>62062215

I agree

yes, he is liked by the "middle-of-theroad" reddit/tumblr crowd that place their identity in how "different" he is, and yes that definetly hurts his image- but honestly I still like him. he even made a song making fun of tumblrinas/redditors as far as I can tell
>>
>>62062321
well put
>>
>>62061473
Where's his eyebrows?
>>
>>62062321
I agree. So many people called him pretentious for mocking the Ryan Adams/Taylor Swift thing but I thought it was hilarious and was confused how it was "pretentious" to mock something as circlejerky and retarded as a sad-folk 1989 cover album.
>>
>>62062543
up his ass, probably
>>
>>62062623
>sad-folk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSyus3HlQPI
>>
>>62062623
I thought both things were really dumb.

On one hand, I don't need Ryan "Mr. Earnesty" Adams in his plaid shirt and telecaster injecting Taylor Swift with the emotional honesty he feels she lacks.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with being earnest, and as cheesy and self-absorbed as Ryan Adams is, Father John Misty injecting his patent brand of edgy ironic sarcasm into the situation didn't do anything for me.
>>
>>62062685
Like half the songs were slowed down and all of them were drained of anything fun.
>>
Surprisingly funny guy
>>
>>62062773
I'll take goofing on lame and emotional pop covers over lame and emotional pop covers any day of the week.
>>
>>62062515
>he even made a song making fun of tumblrinas/redditors as far as I can tell
which one?
>>
>>62062895

http://genius.com/Father-john-misty-the-night-josh-tillman-came-to-our-apt-lyrics

"She says, like literally, music is the air she breathes"

like literally gives it away
>>
He's alright, don't really understand why he got so much hype though
>>
His interviews are way better than his music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht0juwXTTns
>>
i really liked his new album but the only thing that detracted from it for me is his opinion on shit like smartphones/technology in general. though i guess its only natural he would have that opinion since he is older

>>62062945
thats more to just fake dumb broads in general
that goes beyond reddit/tumblr
>>
>>62063033
I don't think he's actually against new technology, he's just aware of the fact of how ridiculous it all is and makes fun of himself and others who are so obsessed with it. He uses it quite a lot himself.
https://www.instagram.com/fatherjohnmisty/
>>
>>62063125
btw
>>
>>62063149
he seems to be the filthy frank of music

i cant make a better comparison, sorry- but people like him without being aware hes making fun of them, much like the asian autist
>>
>>62063149
Thurston looks younger than 60
>>
>>62063125
>>62063207

you can only follow along with satire to the point it just gets tiring
>>
>>62063224
yes?
>>
>>62063033
I don't think that song is against technology, just that trying to maintain a relationship via your phone feels strange after a while and is simply not as fulfilling as getting to be with that person. Anyone who's had a long distance relationship feels the same way I think, there's a point where it goes from feeling normal to feeling bizarre to talk to them on Skype or whatever when you haven't seen them in person in so long.
>>
>>62063271
"Isolation, online friends"
>>
>>62063256
i.e. it stops being funny/witty in the first place

i mean i still love the dude but whatever

>>62063271
i can see that
>>
>>62063207
You can be a fan of something even if it's making fun of you, though. That's just being self aware and knowing that the stuff you like and do can be silly and dumb and that's ok. I'm not saying that's all of his fans, but certainly a lot of them. Portlandia is a show making fun of hipsters made by hipsters pretty much for hipsters, everyone knows who the target of the jokes are but that doesn't make it not enjoyable to them. Josh makes fun of a specific group of people but he is also apart of it.
>>
His J Tillman shit was better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt84qfSUac4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbpXwiftjyk
>>
>>62063351
...yes?
>>
>>62063125
Had a few good laughs, thanks for introducing me to this. Just another reason why I love Josh.
>>
>>62063440
thats it. i find it amusing at times but i dont think its his best shtick.
>>
>>62061494
Dumb DUDE poster
>>
>>62061473
not worth thinking about
>inb4 still a thought
>>
>>62062321

Good post
>>
i like this video because of aubrey plaza
>>
>>62065062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtOToiIDNRA
>>
>>62062623
I really liked how he mocked the Ryan Adams cover album. I think people are forgetting exactly how circlejerky the whole internet was about Swift's album getting covered by a "deep singer" when Ryan Adams is, and I quote FJM here "I hate the bogus singer songwriter heart on your sleeve trope that seems [to envelop] all those in the genre"

so Ryan represented exactly what FJM was making fun of with his album and fake name, and his 2 songs were in the moment and really funny.

he explains it here, in the first half. Great interview too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht0juwXTTns
>>
>>62061473
oh haha he's just a boring guy
>>
He's a very cool, funny dude.

Great to see live also.

https://soundcloud.com/fatherjohnmisty/thanks-for-all-your-questions-and-comments-in-2015
>>
>>62065083
oh my god, she must be the only "hot" hollywood celebrity who actually makes me hard, she's fucking ridiculous
>>
>>62061473
seen him live back in October and he was a great preformer but had no banter at all, not a bit of chatter off him at all. Didn't say hi when he came on stage, just launched straight into the singing and would stand there awkwardly on stage when they'd be getting ready for the next song. Some girl even jumped up on stage and security got real physical and he just stood there and didn't say a word. I was left a bit dissapointed with him if I'm honest.
>>
File: giphy.gif (1024KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1024KB, 500x213px
>>62065062
FJM and Aubrey are my celebrity crushes
>>
>>62061530
No.
>>
>>62067971
Damn that's disappointing. I have tickets to see him in April, hopefully it's not like that.
>>
>>62062895
this one
https://soundcloud.com/fatherjohnmisty/the-memo
>>
>>62068081
Wasn't like that when I saw him. He shit on everyone in the crowd, and someone threw a headband that had "acid" written on it, and he put it on
>>
>>62068129
>shit on everyone in the crowd
You saw GG Allin I think you're confused
>>
>>62067971
Weird, I've seen him twice and both times he had great banter
>>
>>62061473
no eyebrows
>>
File: PhonePics_11_30_2015 115.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
PhonePics_11_30_2015 115.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Puts on a great show. Really interacts with the crowd. Has a very dry sense of humor.
>>
I just can't get into this guy for the life of me. There's just something about his whole character that really puts me off. His face, his writing, all of it. I really don't know. I've listened to some of and it just doesn't grab me. Conor Oberst loves this dude. But I don't think he even comes close to Conor.
>>
>>62061473
I enjoyed Fear Fun a decent amount and saw him perform live soon after it's release. I should've realized he wouldn't have a backing band. Very bad show. He changed a lot of his lyrics to make himself seem sexy and he kept flirting with the audience. It seemed like he was desperate to get laid and it was uncomfortable. Then college hipsters everywhere became more aware of his existence and he's a pretty trendy guy now. Just not my kind of guy and I imagine his demographic don't frequent /mu/
>>
>>62070559
his live shows are fucking excellent and the "No Photography" sign makes for some surprisingly fantastic visuals.
Where did you see him?
>>
lmao itt: butthurt pitchfork retards who think this hack is good
>>
>>62072551
Birmingham, Alabama
>>
File: haimfreak.png (1MB, 1416x1053px) Image search: [Google]
haimfreak.png
1MB, 1416x1053px
Pitchfork approved version of Hoizer, awful fucking garbage
>>
>>62072592
oh nice
Athens, Georgia here
the UGA crowd could've been better, particularly the obnoxious female portion
>>
>>62072631
That crowd was pretty respectful and he seemed to enjoy it. Excellent show, no complaints.
>>
HONEYBEAR
HONEYBEAR
>>
>>62067971
he's known for his live banter though, he must have just hated you guys
>>
>>62061473
i want him inside of me in every way possible
>>
JEEEEE-EEE-EESUS CHRIIIIST GIRL

>I listen to FJM way more than Fleet Foxes because he's truly better
>>
Fantastic lyricist.
>>
He's pretty great and ILYHB was my favorite record of last year desu
>>
>>62061473
epitome of white mediocrity and oppressiveness of culture.
>>
>>62075681
hurr muh low-hanging bait

-2/10
>>
>>62061473
alpha as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H-AYTghBYw
>>
>>62061473
Mediocre musician. I understand his way of showing his true persona is through his apparently brilliant 'edgy, ironic' lyricism and his 'dry' humor, but the whole thing for me just comes off as either too sardonic and bitter or too "in the know" with casual winks and "subtle" references to modern culture.

In short it's just purely unpleasant and unfocused music, which is a shame when you contrast that with the often gorgeous production (which I guess is another mark of his 'humor'). I know it's an overused term but his music feels like a cringefest for me, I barely got through ILYHB.

What's with all these positive comments and discussion btw? Get the fuck off my board and go to reddit or something
>>
>>62061473
Cultural Understander
Indie Folk Singer/Songwritter PR Firmed
Playboy Artist Sarcastic
>>
>>62076110
shit, that's great
>>
>>62076353
>unfocused
Completely wrong.
>>
>>62062321
>doesn't know what pretentious means
>means it as higher brow than regular pop music

no, FJM is a fedora, not an actual highbrow artist.
>>
he's wank for people who think community is the pinnacle of comedy
>>
>>62077288
Ok, change it to snobbish.
>>
Why do people think his music is cynical? The only thing ILYHB is cynical about is cynicism itself.

>>62062945

That song's actually about meeting someone that was a female version of himself and how much he hated that, which is why the video has him making out with himself.

>>62076353

The only thing cringey here was how you managed to listen to his music and come up with that assessment damn
>>
>>62077298
>wank for people who think community is the pinnacle of comedy

But enough about your posts
>>
I'm a big fan of what he's doing and I guess my real interest is seeing what he's gonna do from here. Honeybear was the punchline to Fear Fun in such a way that it's gonna be interesting to see if he goes for another practical joke or something else entirely. I'd love to see him do a character next.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.