[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Astral Weeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Astral Weeks.jpg (173KB, 1027x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Astral Weeks.jpg
173KB, 1027x1023px
I don't understand this album at all. On a first listen I'd give this a 4/10. Can someone explain the appeal to me and why it has 4.08 on RYM?
>>
>>61992025
4.08/10
Sounds about right
>>
I feel the same way OP but i also haven't listened to it in like 5 years

I know a lot of people love it though
>>
>>61992072
4.08/5 which is ridiculously high for any album. For comparison, the highest album of the 2010's has only received a 3.9/5 (Kanye MBDTF).
>>
Does someone have a mega link of this record? I couldn't find one in the archive
>>
its an utterly unique and timeless record
the instrumentation is dense, vibrant and brings the album to life in a way that's so rich and organic that it gives the album a sense of complete agelessness, like it sounds so fresh and detailed that it could easily have been released in this decade
van morrison's vocal delivery is soulful and passionate, perfectly accentuating the rises and falls of the instrumentation and his cadence and many of the ostensibly meaningless repetitions and ad-libs directly serve to enhance the atmosphere and detail of the stories woven by his lyricism
the lyrics themselves use simple stories and anecdotes about love and whatnot as a platform to explore themes of the life and the human condition, deceptively simple-seeming tracks like Madame George or Cyprus Avenue hold beneath their basic surface love stories a rich narrative outlying Morrison's questions and thoughts about the mysteries of the human soul

its my favourite album of all time so i could keep going forever but this would probably be easier and faster if you just explain what you dislike about it and i'll explain why you're wrong
>>
>>61992025
Astral Weeks is the ultimate pleb filter. If you don't get it you'll never really get music.
>>
>>61992220
I don't have a mega but it's on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKtmNnWVeY
>>
>>61992344
I'll give it another listen keeping in mind your points. My biggest issues were that if this were released this year I wouldn't give it another listen. The sound feels really dated, the low-fi quality, the Dylan/Newman-esque voice tone (really forced stress on the throat either on purpose or natural, and the tongued melisma), even the instruments and instrumentation choices sound odd.

Although even with high fidelity recording and instrumentation, the flutes and the strings sound dated. In a weird way they remind of songs like that one Sesame Street Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeNO56xNlZo . It can be looked back on as maybe influential, but I can't listen to it and feel the same timelessness as other artists from this time.
>>
>>61992025
You have no soul and are probably autistic if you don't enjoy this album OP, I'm so sorry.
>>
>>61992025
It's a hauntingly beautiful album with soul.
>>
>>61992025
https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html

Lester Bangs does a great job of explaining why it's good. Read the whole thing.
>>
>>61992147
You're wrong. What IS TPAB or GKMC?
>>
I thought it was samey and nothing special first listen
Now its one of my favorite albums of all time
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.