[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this album is the shittiest and most overrated album on this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: memeschool.png (161KB, 308x301px) Image search: [Google]
memeschool.png
161KB, 308x301px
this album is the shittiest and most overrated album on this board. it boggles my mind how people consider this one of the greatest albums of all time, when it's not even the greatest album of that year imo (Blackstar). fight me on this you faggots
>>
blackstar sucks so bad musically

"imma black starrrrr imma black starrrr" hurr durr
i appreciate the meaning and love the guy to death but his music sucks after his prime, just like everyone else, for example

george clinton is still making music, an dit is horrible, know why? because he's no in his prime...

i wish all these geezers would shut the fuck up or at least use some anonymous alias without their crusty ass wrinkley faces attached, and how about actually making music that sounds like your good music from the 60s-80s?

"nooo we gotta evolve our sound into gargageband sounding poo poo"

skrillex jim morrison dubstep remix
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nbv4xlqXxy1r7f335.jpg (32KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nbv4xlqXxy1r7f335.jpg
32KB, 500x501px
>>61990622
Here's your reply.
>>
Don't even get me started on why you seem to have the idea that Meme School is a shitty album. You obviously haven't listened to it enough, or even began to contemplate the ideas that Bowie's trying to convey. You claim to have liked Blackstar, and while the message behind it regarding his death was pretty heavy hitting, and, to be frank, a piece of art, it has nothing on the sheer brilliance that is Meme School. The reasons for this are twofold:

The 1st reason that Meme School shits all over Blackstar, and by extension any album, is that it perfectly captures the Zeitgeist of the time. 2016 has, been a turbulent year in which the ideals that lot of people hold dear have been challenged. Take the recent European migrant crisis. Many are reconsidering their view on who is 'safe to be around', and who isn't, and the majority of people (the "Meme", if you will) are learning new things about themselves and their neighbours (the "school"). We can hear this right from the first track, as Bowie's strange, almost alien shouts from beyond the grave symbolise the unknown - that which we are about to journey into.

The 2nd reason that Meme School is the greatest album of all time is that the entire album was meticulously planned, over the past 14 years by Bowie, and those he worked with. You'll notice that Meme School has an unusual amount of collaborations, recorded in the past, by artists that have only reached the mainstream in the last few years. Bowie had such an incredible foresight, that he not only predicted the rise of the meme, but he also took these fledgling artists and collaborated with them, schooling them so that when they were popular, they could see how far they had come. The planning and forethought that this must have required is absolutely breathtaking, and whenever I listen to "Young Black Americans (feat. Macklemore)" I nearly tear up.

That is why Meme School is the GOAT, and if you don't agree with me you must just be trying too hard to be contrarian.
>>
>>61990809
what's bait? all of the tracks on blackstar do not musically stand up to any of bowie's previous hits, they sound like shit

i can sit in my car and drive blasting let's dance

can't say the same for anything off blackstar it's just not music to groove to
>>
thats not even an album nigger
>>
>>61989976
>>61990950
Lmao what is going on in this thread?
>>
mmmEEme school..
>>
>>61991132
teenagers think Meme School is some kind of experimental emotional masterpiece when really it's just The Memeatles 2 Faggotronic Boogaloo

I'm 28 years old, I'm probably older than the majority of people on /mu/. I've studied music theory in college for five years. I play more than five instruments including guitar and violin. I'm part if a rock duo and I perform monthly at various places. We've been working on an album since 2014. I think I know what I'm talking about.

To all you Meme School fags, how much music theory do you know? What instruments do you play? I'm guessing none.
>>
Blackstar is awesome.
>>
>>61990950
I kekd so hard at this for a good 3 minutes

im copying this for later pastas
>>
>>61991209
Why would you even compare The Memeatles 2 Faggotronic Boogaloo to Meme School? Just because they both have the word "meme" in the title?
You would the sort of person to just gloss over the deeper meaning of things - after all, you claim to play five instruments, including guitar and violin. Have you fully explored the complexity of each instrument you've attempted to play? You're right, I don't play five instruments, I play one - the mighty and blessed kazoo. I have played the kazoo for seven years, and even I have not yet fully appreciated the musical brilliance that this instrument can create. Is it because I haven't played Meme School on it? It could be, as Bowie's album is so good that it can bring out the true beauty of whatever instrument it's played on.

So, clearly you cannot understand the deeper meaning of Meme School, even though Bowie has made it blindingly obvious with the title of the album. MEME SCHOOL.
>>
>>61990950
Holy shit 10/10
>>
>>61991093
Neither is fucking Souvlaki but that doesn't mean it sucks, what the fuck. How are you on /mu/ if your metric of Hot Or Not is 'Can I groove? Y/N'
>>
>>61991093
maybe, just maybe, Bowie was not trying to make grooves to blast in the car and instead released an album based around the concept of death, a not very groovy topic.
>>
>>61990950
I especially think the tracks Let's Not Dance (I'm Dying of Cancer) and Rock 'N' Roll Assisted Suicide are very poignant.
>>
File: 1393452452378.png (45KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1393452452378.png
45KB, 320x320px
>>61991209
>studying music theory for 5 years

nigga that shit probably takes 3 years, 4 tops. are you borderline retarded
>>
File: bigass ratburn.png (41KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
bigass ratburn.png
41KB, 224x224px
>>61991093
>can't say the same for anything off blackstar it's just not music to groove to

it's like their purposes as albums are different or something
>>
>>61991209
lel i picture you as one of those "musicians" whos a music major at a state school and "plays" 5 instruments without actually playing any of them
>>
>>61991586
Oh, definitely - those two tracks are among the best on the album. I would have mentioned them had I had room to, as further examples of how Meme School truly is the quintessential album of our times. So many people, like Bowie before them, are dying or have died of cancer - and someone reading /mu/ right now may also contract it soon if this board's culture is anything to go by. "Let's Not Dance (I'm Dying of Cancer)" is such an important track, and really conveys the voice the of people on this topic, and, like almost all tracks on the album (save for "'Tis a Pity They're All Whores", as we knew that anyway), teaches and shows us the memetic dialogue of the times in a beautiful way.

I'm sorry for going on at length about this, it's just Meme School was such a groundbreaking album, and I want everyone to see it the way I do. It seems like you do, friend, so I'm glad I'm not the only one :^)
>>
Meme School will be seen as the true 2016 Bowie choice in 20 years and Blackstar will be forgotten
Screencap this for posterity
>>
>>61989976
You need to go back to Meme School.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enPdozSyAg8
>>
>>61991545
>>61991568
>>61991714

I already knew this type of rhetoric was coming, I understand it's not meant to send you onto the dancefloor, I just don't think it sounds good regardless of the context or what it's purpose was.

I understand something is being conveyed yadda yadda, but the music itself just sounds bad all I'm saying is that what is audible on his album sounds like shit

you honestly sound pretentious as if some grand message makes blackstar good, this is coming from a long time bowie fan my mother grew up listening to him too and feels the same so does my sister and she loves bowie way more than i do
>>
>>61991986
Don't make arguments you have no intention of standing behind and follow it up with LOL UR PRETENTIOUS, what the fuck.
>>
>>61992143
you are pretentious and sound gay
>>
>>61991986
How can you be a long time Bowie fan and not at least enjoy Lazarus, Dollar Days and I Can't Give Everything Away?
The rest are understandable to me, but those are pretty solid and fairly traditional Bowie hits.
There're a lot of throwbacks to past styles too so I'm not sure the initial criticism of an artist losing themselves to progression for progressions sake is really applicable here; the album's steeped in appeasements to his past works, with the glam-era sounding middle section of Blackstar, and lyrics of 'Tis a Pity She Was A Whore (which is evocative musically of the Berlin trilogy). Dollar Days almost sounds like it could be a track from Aladdin Sane masquerading in modern production. The final track begins with a huge, unsubtle nod to Low and then continues into something that's awfully similar to his slower Heroes/ Low tracks at its heart.
The entire album's entrenched in looking backwards (and then sorrowfully and fearfully forward). It's a fairly fresh sound for him overall, but the programmed-drums and bass-line driven sound, framed by the saxophone, often times just acts as a framework for old work and reference to shine through. The production and core stylistic approach Bowie took to creating this album might be off-putting for many, but there's a wealth of great stuff there in spite of it.
Lazarus itself doesn't jump out at me as any kind of throw-back to a sound in particular, but it has a strong groove which I'm sure you'd appreciate, and is as great as many of his strongest hits in my opinion.
>>
memeschool love is among the best tracks of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wsLw2JnG0c
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.