[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk Tom Waits. The only album of his I ever see mentioned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

Let's talk Tom Waits. The only album of his I ever see mentioned around here is pic related, which seems to be well-regarded. Yet he has close to 20 albums to his name, most of which are never mentioned.

What do you guys think of Rain Dogs and his other music? I've recently been digging Real Gone.
>>
I don't think he's made an album that's not at least good

I've always been particularly fond of Alice
>>
He's good but a little overhyped. No Waits album after Swordfishtrombones has really had a sound that surprised me.
>>
Mule Variations is pretty great, my 3rd favorite after the classic duo of SFT and Rain Dogs. I'd say it's his most underrated album
>>
File: 81GLeCqnH+L._SL1200_.jpg (352KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
81GLeCqnH+L._SL1200_.jpg
352KB, 1200x1200px
check out The Black Rider. It's one of his lesser known albums and one of my personal favorites.
>>
I love his instrumental tracks in his albums. I mean, don't get me wrong, his vocals are such a huge part of what makes him legendary, but his instrumental tracks are pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGWJ5XiwbV0
>>
>>61985440
Really? A lot of his other albums are mentioned all the time. Ask people here what their favorite album is and you'll get pretty high variance of answers.
>>
>>61985440
I like Tom Waits alright but he's got nothing on Glottis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ipFSCgrXHA
>>
All his stuff is great. I think Swordfishtrombone is at least on par with Rain Dogs if not better. Only album I haven't listened to is the one where he's holding cards on the cove, which I think is his most recent.
>>
My Tom Waits Power Rankings

Best tier:
Small Change
Swordfishtrombones
Rain Dogs
Alice

Great tier:
Closing Time
The Heart of Saturday Night
Franks Wild Years
Bone Machine
Mule Variations

Good tier:
Nighthawks at the Diner
Heartattack and VIne
Blue Valentine
Blood Money
Real Gone

Mediocre tier:
Foreign Affairs
One from the Heart
Big Time
The Black Rider
Glitter and Doom
Bad as Me
>>
Nighthawks At The Dinner is great
>>
>>61985440
I love his piano ballad sort of era but he really showed the true range of his abilities and experimental leanings on Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, and Bone Machine. Truly remarkable albums inspired by a range of genres and tied together with one of the most distinctive voices of all time.
>>
>>61986686
yeah swordfishtrombones, rain dogs, and bone machine are my favorite. Highly recommended
>>
>>61986751
poor Frank's Wild Years always being neglected - I think it's pretty close to Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs

Love this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEUUIkxebvc
>>
>>61985440
Rain Dogs is in the bottom half of Tom Waits' discography.

It's bogged down by being front loaded, overlong and shitty 80s production

Swordfishtrombones is by far his best
>>
>>61986402
this but switch Heart of Saturday Night and Black Rider
>>
>>61988526
But Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones are quite alike?
>>
>>61990010
Literally the same.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.