[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Golden Record

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

The Voyager Golden Records are phonograph records that were included aboard both Voyager spacecraft launched in 1977. They contain sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth, and are intended for any intelligent extraterrestrial life form, or for future humans, who may find them.

The music it contains is mostly boring dad music. I put forth the idea that we send a microSD with this generation's music into space. A microSD card weighs 0.5g. 1kg of space freight costs 80000$. Thus the microSD would only cost 40$ to transport.

To protect it from radiation, the card contains only 1 album in a few thousand redundant copies.

What album should we send to represent Human Kind in 2016?

Dadrockers need not apply
>>
>>61972069
Based entirely on their influence and not on goodness:

Beethoven
Bach
Tribal Music from Several Countries
Beatles
King Crimson
Velvet Underground
Dylan
Chuck Berry
Can
Ramones
Miles Davis
Moondog
Black Sabbath
Zappa
Aphex Twin
DJ Shadow
Maybe the Avalanches
and Bowie
>>
File: Q1qz4rgp.gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
Q1qz4rgp.gif
134KB, 340x340px
How would aliens even read that microSD card?
>>
>>61972069

Same music as before but with Kanye
>>
It needs to contain music from as many human cultures as possible. Not pop culture trash.
>>
>>61972191
>DJ Shadow
>Maybe the Avalanches
uhh
>>
This.
>>
>>61972701
Uh no. Including every single trash culture on the planet is how you create pop culture trash in the first place (see: hip hop). We need the record to contain strictly music from highly developed and intelligent societies. Africa and the Middle East will not be included in my project
>>
>>61972895
Have fun making garbage, you uneducated wank stain
>>
>>61972191
>all that rock music
>two western classical composers
>no non-western formal music (gamelan, Carnatic, Hindustani, Chinese opera, etc.)
>no jazz
>no non-western pop music
>no avant-garde music
>two third rate plunderphonics artists but no John Oswald or better yet actual musique concrete/sound collage

either pleb or bait
>>
>>61973093
I don't think aliens fucking care, anon.
>>
>>61972069
>A microSD card weighs 0.5g. 1kg of space freight costs 80000$. Thus the microSD would only cost 40$ to transport.

Thats the price to get it to low earth orbit. Getting it to a regression velocity of 15 km/s, the speed of the voyager probes, would be much more expensive, probably requiring hundred of kilograms of propellant launched into LEO along with your sd card.

Also, the golden record is designed to still be readable after several billion years. An sd card, even several hundreds of sd cards with millions of redundant copies of the data, would be completely degraded after just a thousand years or so.

The biggest problem of course is that no one will ever find it. Even if spacefaring civilizations are extremely common, even if there are spacefaring civilization in every single star system, which is far beyong the credulous limit for their density, the odds that anyone will find a probe the size of a small car floating through interstellar is one in many many trillions. The only reason we sent the golden record up is because, well we were sending voyager up anyway to do some science for us, so why not.
>>
>>61973192
aliens will be revolted by the decadence and look down on how little cultural evolution happened over billions of years on our little rock if all we have to show for it is degenerates spasming until their replacement hips give out
>>
>>61973305
No, the biggest problem is that aliens could not read a microSD card.
>>
>>61973371
I mean they could probably figure it out if they got a hold of a copy that hasn't decomposed into dust.

Especially considering the payload won't get 1/10th of the way to the next star before its fucked, any aliens that have picked up a working sd card are probably close enough to earth that they can just nip round to best buy and ask how to read it.
>>
>>61973460
How would they "figure out" a to them completely meaningless chain of 1s and 0s? Without going to best buy and buying a computer it's literally impossible.
>>
>>61973587
Magic Alien Technology
>>
>>61972069
How the fuck would aliens find something as small as a micro sd? A semi-truck sized satellite is one thing but a micro sd is pretty much impossible
>>
>>61973660
Magic Alien Technology
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.