[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so, now that 2015 has been over for about a month, can we have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 16

File: kendrick-to-pimp-butterfly.jpg (61KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
kendrick-to-pimp-butterfly.jpg
61KB, 600x600px
so, now that 2015 has been over for about a month, can we have a civilized discussion about this album?

why do /mu/tants think this is a bad album? do people think that gkmc was really "better" than tpab? why do we think that this was bad?
>>
>>61941332
GKMC was the second best rap album of all time behind Macadelic. TPAB was just boring. Too much soul and funk too. I don't think it was bad. Just wasn't that great. 6 maybe 7 out of 10 on a good day
>>
THIS
>>
>>61941332
>why do /mu/tants think this is a bad album?
contrarianism reigns
>do people think that gkmc was really "better" than tpab?
They're on par with each other, I think it's a matter of personal tastes.

>why do we think that this was bad?
>we
stop herding like a faggot to what the autists on this site think
>>
>>61941375
>TPAB was just boring. Too much soul and funk too

this is somewhat of a contradiction
>>
>>61941455
But soul and funk are the only two boring genres... I can't stand them
>>
>>61941533
I disagree, I think they can be fantastic genres, especially funk, and they're done pretty well on tpab

but that's just me
>>
>>61941391
>contrarianism

listen to more music if you think contrarianism applies to shitty FOTM pop rap
>>
>>61941391
Thank you
>>
>>61941332
GKMC was easily better than TPAB - but TPAB wasn't bad at all. TPAB just had such an immediate "impact" on culture and had way more hype. When I listened to TPAB for the first time, I thought it was pretty dope and I knew I'd have to give it a couple runs before I caught everything that Kendrick was trying to say about society, poverty traps, etc. But when I first listened to GKMC I was just amazed at how well put together the story was and how each song is individually a great track but when put together it makes this amazing story that really only takes place over the course of one night but shows the entire effect cities like Compton can have on someone's entire adolescence/life. Honestly, I think GKMC arguably had more to say, most people just didn't pick up on it because Kendrick doesn't say it as explicitly.

>>61941375
Surprised to hear Macadelic being held in such high regard by anyone, but I don't disagree. One of my favorite mixtapes ever, although I think Faces was overall a better project. Macadelic had more of my favorite songs on it but from start to finish wasn't as consistent.
>>
>>61941580
>contrarianism applying to anything other than something "pop"
>defending contrarianism
>calling slight nu-jazz conscious rap "pop rap" to insult it

listen to more of the sound a gun makes when you shoot inside your mouth
>>
>>61941332
>do people think that gkmc was really "better" than tpab?
Yes it was really better. The tracks had much more replayability, actually sounded good. Didn't rely on a shitty social narrative.
>>
>>61941580
>FOTM pop rap
is tpab really pop rap?
>>
>>61941702
>shitty social narrative
>racism in 2016
>>
>>61941752
>Implying racism actually exists still in any substantial way and we haven't just perpetuated a culture of victimization
>>
>>61941375
>>61941533
>not knowing the difference between soul and jazz

listen to a little brother album. that is hip hop with a soul sound, because the producer 9th wonder only samples soul. TPAB was overwhelmingly jazz influenced. but in a more modern and polished style so it didnt sound like ATCQ or any early 90s "jazz-hop." he does a some fucking slam poetry shit over a sax solo. jazz, not soul.

and regardless, soul and jazz are both great genres. only the most whitest of white suburbanites from minnesota or north dakota would find soul or jazz "boring."
>>
>>61941702
>Didn't rely on a shitty social narrative.
>What is rap, bros, I'm trying to figure it out
>>
>>61941821
>Implying GKMC did
>>
>>61941780
>implying niggers don't deserve to be killed?
>>
>>61941870
>>>/pol/
>>
>>61941682
i wasn't calling it pop rap in an attempt to insult it, i called it that because that's what it is. interesting how you take it as an insult though.

also you obviously don't know what contrarianism is

furthermore

>conscious

lol LOL
>>
>>61941810
Exactly. I love most genres including jazz. I LOVE jazz. But not funk or soul. The album has jazz but that's not why I said it was boring. It's bc of all the funk and soul, thus, your entire comment was misinformed, redundant, and pointless.
>>
>>61942054
>pop rap
by this I'm assuming you mean that tpab was marketed as an album that would appeal to primarily pop listeners

I don't hear any elements of "pop" unless we're talking about the album itself and not the music that's on the album

would you say, then, that gkmc is "poppier"
>>
>>61941533
>soul
>boring
words fail me tbqh.
>>
>>61942054
Pathetic. Pop in hip hop has never meant something "popular" and everyone knows it, and if you don't know it then don't even bother answering to me. It's that sugary-EDM inspired rap with catchy choruses like B.o.B, Gambino, even Kanye do. You can pretend you are so lacking in interpretation power that you think something that is "popular" becomes "pop" but everyone is seeing through your intentions there.

And I don't have the patience to discuss the semantics of "contrarianism" with someone who finds it laughable that a genre is called by it's name because the names doesn't fit their tastes or the name is not fit for the album/genre in question because they don't like it. Whichever it is, I don't give a fuck.
>>
>>61942316
what would you do if i grabbed your arm and refused to let go
>>
>>61942353
give you a kiss
>>
>>61942407
fuck me now please i'm just so honry
>>
>>61942303
its boring when its the same generic shit ripped off from other artists
its just kendrick lamar trying to seem deeper than he is and I don't even give a shit about this album either way, I don't listen to meme rap
>>
>>61942418
just a smooch bruh
>>
File: wot2.jpg (40KB, 680x848px) Image search: [Google]
wot2.jpg
40KB, 680x848px
>>61942353
>>
>>61942446
>meme rap
do you listen to rap at all then? because in this day and age, rap as an entire genre and concept seems to be a meme
>>
>>61942451
reach down my pants NOW
>>61942453
you join too
>>
>>61942353
shoot you on the balls
>>
>>61942477
I listen to rap that doesn't have delusions of grandeur and endorses individuality rather than the collectivism kendrick is obsessed with in the same way kanye is always trying to make a social statement than just connect with you
>>
File: smiledog.jpg (52KB, 597x598px) Image search: [Google]
smiledog.jpg
52KB, 597x598px
>>61942446
>look mom, I called a hip hop artist memerap when the term was actually created to shame bullshit internet rappers like Lean and Lil B just because I don't like them, I sure don't sound retarded right now
>>
>>61942530
>I listen to rap that doesn't have delusions of grandeur and endorses individuality
but doesn't all rap have delusions of grandeur to some extent?
>>
>>61941332
it's dull as fuck, especially compared to his other albums
4/10

also
>cucks
and my
>niggers matter movement xp
>>
>>61942572
nope, 1 off the top of my head is Del

>>61942554
heh nothin personel kid *tips katana*
>>
>>61942554

that's not even why the term memerap was invented you fucking newfag
>>
>>61942446
>its just kendrick lamar trying to seem deeper than he is
Can't that be said about any artist who releases anything "deep"?
>oh he's just trying to sound deep to make waves
Have you considered that all of his tapes after his K.Dot era were similarly "artificially" deep?
>>
>>61942554
>cover of album is a bunch of hood rats on the white house lawn standing over the body of a white judge
>entire album is about conflict theory and "us blacks right guys?" meanwhile pandering all the marketing to white people
>kendrick lameme goes to visit obama at the white house and is all smiles
hes a meme, his music pushes an agenda, anything relating to the beats and musical composition he had help with in studio by professional musicians, pushing the meme of 'blacks have it hard and its white peoples fault' - this entire album is carefully constructed meme in the true sense of the word, capitalizing on black peoples insecurities while masquerading itself as some great piece of art and kendrick fluffing himself up acting like he's some great social critic when he's just propagating more hate between people, don't bother replying I'm not in this for the (You)s
>>
>>61942062
youre fucking retarded, TPAB is like 80% jazz vibes. and if you dont like funk and soul in your hip hop stick to future, young thung, fetty wap, etc.
>>
>>61941375
>GKMC was the second best rap album of all time
>>
>>61942903
It's literally: "We're always fucked over by america but we keep acting like niggers" - the album

You internet fags call anything that gets famous a "meme". Welcome to the real world of music, people get famous, they get talked about on tv and the internet, that's not what a meme is you fucking retard. Lil B and Yung Lean were literally just making meme images and jokes to boast their shit music to mongoloids on twitter and tumblr. Now if you can't even bother to go listen to any of the fucking tracks on that album to learn what it really is about and how much of a fuck Kendrick Lamar does NOT give about white people, you'll see that whites are not even mentioned on more than once or twice on the whole album.

Now you can go spurt more retarded assumptions by a scared trembling white 15 years old on who never heard the album before, since your species just feeds on having the last word, even if the last word is given while you're shitting yourself and coping out, or you can shut the fuck up and try to become an adult who is able to dislike things for the right reasons and not yell "MEME" at anything like a child.
>>
File: wot.jpg (15KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
wot.jpg
15KB, 480x270px
>>61942903
>>kendrick lameme goes to visit obama at the white house and is all smiles
you wanted him to be sad or something
>>
IMO Kenny is a better storyteller on GKMC, and it had more of an impact on hip hop music, whereas TPAB seemed to have more of a political agenda (and impact).

musically, I prefer GKMC and think it will go down as an all-time classic. but I can understand why people think TPAB is better (the p4k argument) -

on a closing note I think Money Trees is his best song by a landslide, nothing on TPAB is close for me. That track NEVER gets old. DJ Dahi really did it 2bh familia
>>
>>61943008
I'd call it the best desu senpai. Next 5 being Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic, Aquemini, All Eyez On Me, and Ready To Die.
>>
>>61941332
>>61943051
AOTY 2015 for me. No one's trying to push the envelope as hard as Kendrick.
good kid, m.A.A.d. city and To Pimp a Butterfly are perfect pretty much in their own ways, the concepts and instrumentals on TPAB are just more future. They're incomparable in a way because they deal with two different stages in Kendrick's life and therefore the themes/ideas are different. good kid maad city was about growing up in the hood, to pimp a butterfly was about being grown up and trying to overcome personal struggle to achieve a higher purpose
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 1600x1204px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 1600x1204px
>>61941810
Don't generalize Minnesota like that you dumb cunt.

Prince privileges revoked, faggot
>>
>>61943261

>No one's trying to push the envelope as hard as Kendrick.

lmao
>>
>>61943261
>No one's trying to push the envelope as hard as Kendrick.

No
>>
>>61943283
yeah, drake rhyming about being rich and kanye rapping about adidas are really giving it their all
>>
>>61943342
what rappers put near as much time into their albums and live performances? Future's generic shit?
>>
>>61943358

No More Parties in LA was better than almost anything on TPAB.

also if we're gonna talk about pushing boundaries, especially in hip-hop, then HELLO fucking Death Grips, their album last year?? that was practically post-rap
>>
>>61943377
Not one of the people saying Kendrick isn't pushing the envelope the most, but I'd argue Ab-Soul, Mac Miller, and J. Cole are close. Also eXquire but he's lowkey.
>>
>>61943358

Thugger, Mick Jenkins, Freddie Gibbs, even labelmate Isaiah Rashad

are all better candidates for pushing the envelope
>>
>>61943472
>Death Grips

fuck off jesus christ
>>
>>61943377

I will give you this though. Kendrick is an amazing performer. Was impressed when I saw him over the summer
>>
>>61943472
death grips are hip hop like a tomato is a fruit. It is but no one considers it, and has nothing to do with the rest of it
>>
>>61943513

they are literally the most innovate artists in hip-hop right now. Kendrick is just recycling what better artists did in the 90s. can you name a single other album that sounds like The Powers That B? especially the first half?
>>
>>61943496
your list a shit

a better list:
Billy Woods, Ka, Joey Badass, Busdriver,
>>
>>61943496
Rashad's dropped one EP bro...

>>61943472
>also if we're gonna talk about pushing boundaries, especially in hip-hop, then HELLO fucking Death Grips
Just because something is absolute shit doesn't mean it's pushing boundaries.
>>
>>61943553
Yeah, any shitty high school garage metal band.

>>61943536
I think you have that backwards. Everyone considers it hip hop, but it's not.
>>
>mfw Flocka goes harder than Kendrick

https://soundcloud.com/wakaflockaflame/askcharlamagne
>>
>>61943576

>I'm too retarded to appreciate Death Grips

just leave. I bet you think TMR is a meme too, and Pet Sounds is a masterpiece, lol
>>
>>61943553
>>61943536
>death grips are hip hop like a tomato is a fruit. It is but no one considers it, and has nothing to do with the rest of it
this exactly
>>
>>61943571
>all these memethony cringetano artists
>>
>>61943496
I disagree but Gibbs and Rashad are at least putting more effort than most
"Shot U Down" is really fire
Gibbs can consistently drop music but it's always G-rap
>>
>>61943611
>pretending to like Death Grips
Holy fuck man, do you pretend to like all /mu/core? It's not because I don't "get" Death Grips that I don't like them, it's because sonically they sound like complete shit.
>>
>>61943644
>as if fantano couldn't write 20 lists better than the one you wrote
>>
>>61941391
This. Who is this we? Triggered p4k readers who felt betrayed? I don't think TPAB is that great but I don't care enough to have complicated opinions about it.
>>
>>61943676
That wasn't my list dumbass
>>
>RAPE THAT CRACKERS WIFE THEN CUT WITH MY KNIFE
>IT'S HIS OWN FAULT I BE LIVING THIS LIFE OYEAH

>/mu/ thinks this is lyrical genius
>>
>>61943676
fantano gave macklemore & ryan lewis's album an 8, that album was whack as hell. as if fantano is the supreme overseer of music lists
>>
>>61943661

this whole thread sleeping on isaiah rashad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_NFVCgVBvM

also lol dude Busdriver is wack as fuck. How can you actually listen to an entire album of that shit. Do you listen to music to actually enjoy it or what
>>
>>61943737
wasn't me, busdriver's trash
>>
>>61941780
I think you are white
>>
>>61943737
Nobody is sleeping on Rashad, Cilvia was dope but to put him in the same breath as Kendrick after one official project is ridiculous
>inb4 hurrdurr compilation mixtapes of his shit from 5 years ago
>>
>>61943697
>I see artists that fantano talked about once in other people's conversations and decide to sperg about it

>>61943726
We just know he would have better shit in mind about artists innovating hip hop than Macklemore, he digs a lot of interesting hip hop shit up that no one else is talking about, like Billy Woods
>>
>>61943807
>oh no I was blatantly wrong when I started spouting bullshit, better make an unrelated comment to continue the argument
>being this butthurt because your list was shit
>>
>>61943773

the discussion was who is pushing the envelope the most. isaiah takes the cake there over his labelmates

as does mick jenkins. look into his new track with BADBADNOTGOOD.
>>
I feel GKMC is just more mainstream than TPAB. GKMC has more bangers and has Drake. TPAB only has "alright" and "hood politics" but TPAB is just really personal
>>
also i prefer vince staples' thematic black culture statements on Summertime 06 to Kendrick's predictable, pop culture driven lyrics on TPAB
>>
File: autisms level.jpg (65KB, 567x561px) Image search: [Google]
autisms level.jpg
65KB, 567x561px
>>61943844
>I know hip hop just as much as I know a vagina (I don't) so I just attack people's lists when it's cristal clear that their knowledge of the genre is superior than mine in every way
>I act holier than thou after someone tells me to fuck off for being a retarded buzzword spurter
too retarded even for this board's standards, go find your friends at >>>/r9k/
>>
>>61943937
>TPAB is just really personal
What. TPAB isn't personal at all, it's about black culture in general whereas GKMC is one of the most personal hip-hop records ever.
>>
File: tyler.jpg (39KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
tyler.jpg
39KB, 636x358px
>>61943974
>TPAB isn't personal at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZytWFm7x0
>>
>>61943949
You do realize this post literally applies to everything you've said, right? Guess what, if three different people are telling you your list is bad it's probably bad.
>>
>>61944001
True, but you know what I mean. There's definitely some personal songs on it, but in general it's about society whereas GKMC is literally a day in Kendrick's shoes.
>>
>>61944013
other list has Thugger
Other list has (though good) samey samey Freddie Gibbs
>>
>>61944069
The other list isn't that good either, but I do agree with Isaiah Rashad
>>
Never actually bothered listening to it. GMKC was really forgettable.
>>
File: french-montana-mac-cheese-3.jpg (37KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
french-montana-mac-cheese-3.jpg
37KB, 380x380px
>61943486
mac miller doesn't even have the best kraft dinner themed mixtape
>>
>>61944109
>can't even get the album name right
Yeah, you definitely listened to the album front to back and understood the concept.
>>
>>61944109

>the best hip hop song of this decade is forgettable

lol alright man back to your david bowie listening parties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwR_1EP18eo
>>
File: lisa.jpg (68KB, 313x334px) Image search: [Google]
lisa.jpg
68KB, 313x334px
>>61944109
good mad kid city
>>
>>61944143
All For You was honestly a 10/10. Pretty sure that's the tape it's on at least
>>
>>61944166
>implying
https://youtu.be/vivEcKVHa6U
>>
>>61944229

kendricks voice is fucking annoying on that song

you'd have to be autism-tier to consider that a better song than Money Trees
>>
I'm partial TPAB. I still get a boner when I listen to "These Walls". The song is just so smooth.
>>
>>61944053
i think TPAB is mostly about battling inner demons
>>
>>61942316
truffle butter is the perfect example

hit lyrics but a super catchy beat that gets people hyped

on some real shit, fuck conscious/lyrical/intellectual hip hop

Personally, I feel like artists need to stop trying to get political. Entertain me. Thats why I buy your music.

Here for the turn up
>>
>>61944344
there's a place in hip-hop for both
>>
>>61943496
agreed

thugger and gibbs are the only rappers i listen to
>>
>>61944368
used to think that then i realized that all that intellectual shit is for elitists to stroke their egos to.
its depressing as fuck too

get lit senpai
>>
>>61943553
>can you name a single other album that sounds like The Powers That B
honestly, I think that the first half of the album sounds a bit like autechre specifically in the programming. bits of the album remind me of the last half or third of confield, some of quaristice. "fuck me out," once the beat starts, sounds like the last half of lentic catachresis.

but the second half of the powers that b isn't all that boundary pushing or innovative.
>>
>>61943496
>Freddie Gibbs
is all attitude. at the core of his music, he's still rapping about the same stuff as other rappers.
but his attitude is fan-fucking-tastic so who cares
>>
>>61941533
>opinions
>>
GKMC has better lyrics.
TPAB has better production.
I listen to music more for production than lyrics, so I prefer TPAB.
>>
>>61944604
I only like his collaboration with madlib. I refuse to give his other albums a listen.
>>
>>61942483
This is becoming a big sexy orgy..
Please put your penis inside my anus asap, I can't bear the anticipation anymore.
Make me scream, make me beg, call me your dirty little whore.
You've made me feel so good that any other throbbing cock is just a bore.
Please baby please, just cum in my brownhole just once more.
>>
>>61943377
Uhm, Death Grips? Clipping?
>>
File: red polo.png (201KB, 581x849px) Image search: [Google]
red polo.png
201KB, 581x849px
Good job OP and everyone involved, we all had a "civilized discussion" in this thread :)
>>
I like GKMC infinitely more.

I like Section 80 more than this too.
>>
>>61943675
Maybe you just don't like punk rock?
>>
>>61941332
I think GKMC was marginally better. But only because TPAB got too preachy, without offsetting the mood with more playful tracks like GKMC did.

GKMC: 9/10
TPAB: 8.5/10
>>
>>61941752
Fuck off sjw jew
>>
>>61944749
his most recent isnt too bad, not as smooth as pinata, but a decent listen. I like "basketball wives" and have no fuckin clue why
>>
>>61943937
What about Wesley's Theory and King Kunta? Easily the most "fun" party tracks on the album.
Whenever I show someone the album they always want me to replay those two songs after they finish.
>>
>>61944848
all the decent posts have no replies, for some reason /mu/ just likes to shout "meme" and then complains about having shitty music discussions
>>
I feel like Boogie is underrated because he falls under trap hip hop.
>>
>>61944526
maybe it's because there's a lot of austitic tards who don't think racism is actually a problem, and rap music is a great avenue to express those issues
>>
>>61944985
If blacks didn't want to get shot then they wouldn't be committing crimes.
>>
>>61944883
>sfw jew
kill yourself
>>
>>61945052
Are you implying jews aren't safe for work? Fukken anti-semite.
>>
>>61944904
"Alright" and "I" are easily more 'fun' party tracks than Wesley's Theory, the concept behind that song doesn't jump out at you
>>
>>61945088
Normie's don't care about the concept, they care about the beat.
Hence why it's a more "fun" party track.
>>
I can relate to "How much a dollar cost?"

During my short stay on the west coast, I happened to talk with homeless, ex-prisoners. They almost always asked you if you believed in god and were able able to quote a bible verse or two. I feel like this is simply a tactic to make you feel sorry for them.

They are still hustlin and selling drugs to the ignorant. It's a bit ironic.
>>
>>61945138
they were able*
>>
File: XRSpMOs[1].jpg (82KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
XRSpMOs[1].jpg
82KB, 768x1024px
This picture is how I imagine white fans of Kendrick Lamar
>>
>>61945008
Black people are being shot regardless of whether or not they actually committed a crime
Black people are being killed by police at over the twice the rate of white and Latino people, and are far more likely to have been unarmed at the time of their death; they are also twice as likely to have their cars searched by police, and when they're searched, they're far less likely to be found with contraband
thus, STFU
>>
>>61941375
Nobodies gonna comment on the fact that this nigga just said macadelic was the greatest album of all time?
>>
>>61942903
>>61943051
hit the nail on the head, honestly.
>>
>>61945138
>>61945160
But also not being in their shoes with their criminal past, probably making it difficult for them to get normal jobs, I can still see why they resort back to the criminal game.
>>
>>61945138

You know that song is actually about the plight of homeless people, right?
>>
>>61945245

Fuck. Isn't****
>>
>>61945196
>this nigga
I bet you're white
>>
>>61945261
>I bet you're white
I bet you're white. Nice.
>>
>>61945245
Yes, but I can relate to the dialogue in the song, etc.
And I updated my original post describing some of the plight
>>
>>61945286
I am white but I don't say "this nigga" because I'm not a wigger
>>
>>61945261
Or joking, cause its the internet and nobody gives a fuck you stupid fucking faggot ass bitch
>>
>>61945261
I bet youre a massive cunt
>>
it isn't even slightly interesting.
>>
>>61941332
/mu/ doesn't like things they feel like they're supposed to like

To Pimp a Butterfly had a lot of weird ambitions that are cool to see in rap these days. I once had a conversation with somebody where I asked "does anybody who talks about how cool the poetry elements of TPAB actually read poetry? And has anybody asked if the poetry is GOOD?"
His response was "It literally doesn't matter anon"
So there you go.

I showed the second half of "u" somebody who's been studying and writing poetry for decades, and he said there's nothing unique or interesting about what he's doing. You can decide for yourself if that's something to take into consideration.

But I believe that most would agree that it's a problem when people are too impressed by Kendrick doing things that they forget to ask if he's doing them well.
>>
I want to love it, but I really only love "I", and even then the album version cuts off into a rando poem. the only traditionally constructed "songs" are boring and have dumb choruses and hooks. GKMC had restraint with all of these flourishes and fancies Kdot goes off on, and TPAB is pure excess.
>>
>>61945652
it's subjective, TPAB got accolades from scholars of many types, the opinion of the one person you talked to doesn't necessarily mean that Kendrick isn't doing anything interesting. A lot of people would disagree
>>
>>61945802
>TPAB got accolades from scholars of many types
You mean clueless music critics, most of whom were probably paid off?
>>
File: homepage_large.e9a51b53.jpg (88KB, 319x319px) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.e9a51b53.jpg
88KB, 319x319px
ffs it's impossible to discuss hip-hop on /mu/ since everybody just thinks that Kendrick and Death Grips are the most creative shit ever made

they're not, they recycle what other artists have done in a pop format which appeals to an audience of people who don't bother to explore more music, like the people on /mu/.

>>61945652
he really doesn't do anything new or interesting on TPAB, the strength of the album is almost entirely in its execution/Kendrick's strong pop sensibilities
On a positive note, this was hip hop AOTY 2015 imo
>>
>>61941375
Besides it being the BEST, this is basically right. The story that runs thru GKMC is just so well woven and intricate. Like a freaking novel in rap. TPAB is still 9/10 imo
>>
>>61945855
try mentioning Ka without getting called fantano drone

I know, I tried
>>
>>61945652
[cont.] Personally, I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to hip hop, and I thought that the surrealist elements like "this dick ain't free" which were definitely the most interesting parts of the album, were just filler to make the album stand out. King Kunta, These Walls, Alright, Complexion, The Blacker the Berry, and i, are all very pleasant songs to listen to.

The production is almost always great. Something about Kendrick's overly monotone delivery makes him difficult for me to listen to for long periods of time.

And there's still that weird feeling of feeling like I'm supposed to like it. Listening to any song gives me this desperate anxiety. I can't figure out when I'm being contrarian and when I have valid criticism anymore, and it's just uncomfortable.
>>
>>61945890
I'd be more likely to call someone a Fantanodrone if all they talked about was Kendrick and DG, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>61945902
god what a shit 'review'

is this the first hip hop album you've ever listened to
>>
>>61945855
Are you literally wearing a fedora at this moment?
>>
>>61945843
>I don't like the album
>People who like it are idiots or were paid off
kill yourself
>>
>>61945196
It is. I've stopped playing GKMC at this piont. I don't think a week has gone by in the part four years that I haven't played Macadelic and was sufficiently moved by it.
>>
>>61945945
>eats a pizza
>"god what a shitty "sandwich"
>>
>>61945902
The chorus on Complexion is horrible, and I'm not some /pol/fag saying that because it talks about taking pride in your skin color - I just mean that sonically it sounds like shit.

>>61945927
DG yes, not Kendrick - Kendrick is liked by so many people who don't even know who the fuck Memetano is.
>>
>>61945873
for me GKMC is like a movie, and TPAB is like a novel with vignettes
>>
>>61945952
>don't post about music in my music thread, f-fedora!!!

fucking teens

>>61945991
I giggled at this desu
>>
>>61945981
That's not what I said you fucking moron.
>>
>>61945196
>>61945990
Macadelic is fucking great. I wouldn't say GOAT, but it's in my personal top 20 at least. Angels, Mourning After, 1 Threw 8, Fight the Feeling, and Thoughts From A Balcony are some of my favorite songs ever - but the rest of the album isn't overly stellar. The joint with Joey was pretty cool too.
>>
>>61945855
>death grips is recycled pop music
>>
>>61946030
>they're not, they recycle what other artists have done in a pop format which appeals to an audience of people who don't bother to explore more music, like the people on /mu/

bruh. Do you seriously not see how cringey this post is?

>>61946050
Not the guy you responded to, but that seems like it's what you were implying.
>>
>>61946108
>Not the guy you responded to, but that seems like it's what you were implying.
You're pretty dense, then. Are you really naïve enough to think most popular music critics have any actual knowledge of music, and that at least some of them aren't paid to give good reviews?
>>
>>61946063
no, it's the recycling of ideas from other groups filled with catchy hooks. You are not a very intelligent man

nice Tumblr image btw

>>61946108
Is it wrong? There is nothing wrong with pop music, but calling Kendrick 'innovative' or anything is pretty ridiculous considering jazzy rap has been around for decades
>>
>>61946050
>Obama's favorite album of last year
>>
File: stop.png (10KB, 556x435px) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
10KB, 556x435px
>>61946166
>>
>>61946159
thing is, popular music critics aren't the only people who praised the album, people from a variety of different backgrounds have talked about it
>>
>>61945873
The dickering is strong in this one.
>>
>>61946059
Fuck no. America and vitamins are two of macs best songs better than most songs you listed. Macadelic is a spiritual experience to listen to and that's why I feel it is the goat. Maybe u disagree. Mac is my type of artist and it's my type of album

>>61946012
Complexion for worst song of 2015 anyone?
>>
>>61946183
could you be any more vapid

this thread was disappointing and not at all fun, so I'm going to sleep now. Goodnight, stay comfy/plebby, friends
>>
>>61946206
Like whom?
>>
File: ran out.jpg (7KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
ran out.jpg
7KB, 230x219px
>>61946276
>>
>>61946279
Obama
>>
>>61946294
oh so that was the punchline. very fun and quirky. goodnight
>>
>>61946166
Nobody is innovative unless they make literal shit-tier experimental music like Death Grips.

>>61946262
Pretty sure America was the Joey song I was talking about, just thought of it after those first few songs. Vitamins is dope too though. I just connect with the other songs I listed more, again I fucking love the whole tape those songs I listed just really stood out to me.
>>
>>61946337
rest assured i have more stars that i'm not going to waste on your dumb bait

go to bed loser
>>
>>61946166
>hurr he got an image off of tumblr he's obviously a teenage SJW cuckold
>>
Reminder that Kendrick and TPAB are shit compared to fucking Sonic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tk1295iFD8
>>
>>61941636
>Honestly, I think GKMC arguably had more to say, most people just didn't pick up on it because Kendrick doesn't say it as explicitly.
Agreed. And I think it's a fault of TPAB that it's so ham-fisted with its messages.
>>
>>61946354
again, Death Grips aren't really innovative as everything that they're doing has been done before, and they simply wear their inspirations on their sleeves with loudness, good songwriting, and catchy hooks. They're also not shit

>>61946384
o.k
>>
>>61946354
Understandable. It's honestly I feel the greatest hip hop album of all time. No dickriding here. It has remained my favorite since it came out and I'm still not even close to bored with it. That is a testament to its unappreciated greatness. If I may mention, I wasn't even a Mac fan until the mixtape dropped, only furthering my argument. Not really an argument tho, I guess I mean my opinion towards the mixtape.
>>
>>61946469
>They're also not shit

Won't argue that they aren't good songwriters - because they obviously aren't. They COULD write good songs, they just choose to make their songs sound like cacophony.
>>
>>61947102
>because they obviously aren't
Meant to say they obviously are good writers
>>
>>61943701
>i don't understand figurative language

yeah i'm taking this bait
>>
Because it's an enjoyable album but the message is retarded. It's just hurrr duurrrr racism is bad. Jesus, he talks about how skin color doesn't matter, but then later talks about how he blaims whites for his problems and it's their fault.
>>
>>61944229
this song is all chorus
>>
>>61948126
um what. That song hardly has a chorus. It's literally a 3-line sample.

>>61948034
>but then later talks about how he blaims whites
Where
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.