[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harsh Noise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: venereology.jpg (26KB, 482x500px) Image search: [Google]
venereology.jpg
26KB, 482x500px
Today I ventured into harsh noise for the first time with Merzbow's Venereology. I got what I expected: noise. The album raised some important questions, and I got more out of the questions than the actual music (music?). I asked myself things like
>Why do I consider these sounds to be violent?
>Why do we value things like pattern and predictability in art, and what does it say about us?
>Why does near-random noise create feelings of uneasiness?
And similar questions.

I ask the noise listeners of /mu/: does the genre vary much, and is it worth exploring more fully? Will I find the answers to these questions if I do?

Last thing: any recommendations for going deeper?
>>
>>61941265
The genre varies quite a bit, because there are an infinite number of ways to make noise.
Lots of noise artists dabble in other styles of music as well.
>>
>>61941308
>there are an infinite number of ways to make noise.
Of course. Could you recommend anything in the opposite direction of Merzbow then?
>>
>>61941265

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rx_tM9MYvA
>>
>>61941567

meant for >>61941364
>>
>>61941364
The New Blockaders are pretty cool.
Boyd Rice/NON is a lot of fun, although that's more like classic industrial than straight noise.
>>
A lot of noise is near-random. Merzbow's music is not near-random.
>>
>>61941651
The level of control he exerts over the sound varies from release to release.
Some of it is very tight, but stuff like the Merzbox is a bit more free.
>>
>>61941265
I swear to christ at least a few seconds of this album is a toilet flushing amplified until it clips out
I cant remember which track
>>
Noise is pretty cool when they actually make it with those crazy machines

When it's just electronic sounds, man that's alot more boring
>>
>>61941364
Prurient - Black Vase
>>
>>61941567
I'm not high enough for this yet but thanks.
>>61941644
I'll check it out.
>>61941651
Near-random was a poor description. I know that he composed it with care. But the sounds themselves follow no regular pattern; the droning feedback that overlays most of the tracks is exactly that - feedback.
>>
Only edgelords listen to Noise. Don't even bother.
>>
>>61941927
>follow no regular pattern
yes, it's a bit chaotic. but the noise still follows a pattern for at least the first few minutes of the song, on some of his tracks there is a noticeable beat or rhythm (characterized by the noise fluctuating in volume and pitch)
>>
>>61941919
Cool thanks for the rec.

What in particular should I pay attention to?
>>
>>61941986
Yeah I did notice that and thought it was cool. There are a few moments in the opening track where it falls into a rhythm, and the ending to the last track does the same.

>>61941980
I won't keep myself from listening to something because of a group of people.
>>
>>61941651
in my opinion this is part of the appeal. Controlling the feedback loop is very impressive(i am talking sickness style, not cut-up ala TEF or something).

>>61941990
other, gonna start with generic.
vag - music for smoke-filled elevators
I Am A Lake Of Burning Orchids(fucking hate it, but some love it for some reason)
Kazuma Kubota - Utsuroi (disciplined as fuck cut-up noise)

also go to /noise/ next time
>>
>>61941265
merzbow was wasted when he made this album
>>
>>61942077
Alright. Heading there now thanks.
>>
>>61942077
>vag
it's vág, pleb
>>
>>61942429
fuck, i can't respect a person who doesn't respond at my questions about buying their album.
>>
>>61942361
Yeah I read he was drunk as fuck for most of the tracks
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDFK40UMotc

watch this hurricane video and imagine it's merzbow live and the palm trees are people
>>
Listening to noise while stoned paints really vivid images in my mind

It creates environments that traditional music doesn't
>>
I prefer Whitehouse
>>
>>61942476
what are you even saying
>>
>>61942517
Where did you hear that?
>>
>>61943213

he said in an interview. basically venearology was his first album on the relapse record, a US death metal record, so he thought he'd drink cheap beer like they do and try to make it sound death metal with bass pulses
>>
>>61943166
like, I am mad cause a person who was behind vág given up on answering after only a year(year after they had released their last album). No contact with them, which is a shame, cause I really wanted their CD
>>
is Venerology was really your first noise album and it clicked with you right away, fucking wow

check out While You Were Out and Tokyo Anal Dynamite
>>
>>61944710

This, when I first hear slave new desert I thought it was bullshit
>>
Check out While You Were Out immediately. It's the most accessible noise imo and really great as an entry point
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.