[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so innovative about this? All i hear is IDM with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg (74KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg
74KB, 300x300px
What's so innovative about this? All i hear is IDM with some light influences here and there. Overrated as fuck and mediocre, just like everything else Radiohead has done.
>>
there is a lot more IDM influence than most people credit, but I don't think the way they blended it with alt-rock was entirely unoriginal
>>
i felt the same way when i first heard this but i think it is harder for me to understand the significance of this album due to hearing it in full about a decade after it's release. anybody older hear have any thoughts on this? great album still in my opinion but overrated if you ask me
>>
If you don't get it, maybe you should explore into its influences and then listen to it again.
>>
Krautrock + IDM
>>
>>61939494
*here
>>
I bought it when it came out - it felt pretty different at the time

in hindsight it doesn't feel that revolutionary, but it certainly caused a stir when it came out and felt very different, especially compared to what expectations people had after OK Computer
>>
I've listened to a lot of IDM and I truly don't really hear what people are talking about when they say this album sounds derivative of it. If anything, it takes more influence from first wave post rock and kraut rock.

I don't even like Kid A/Radiohead much, yet I've never heard an album that sounds EXACTLY like it, they were somehow able to grab a bunch bunch of influences and jumble it up into something that is unique, despite having "watered down" elements.
>>
>>61939450
Kid A is a very dense, incomprehensible record. It's no surprise people didn't get it when it came out and don't get it today.
>>
>>61939577
What should exactly get abou them. Please argue.
>>
>>61939577
wow, its really cool to have somebody who is capable of understanding kid a in this thread
>>
wow what an original opinion and thread subject OP!
>>
>>61939911
Well fuck you man i don't fucking get this bullshit and these threads will keep on showing if you ironic fucks won't give an exhaustive answer.
>>
it's not HUGELY innovative, its just krautrockish idm

but the songwriting is just far beyond any of its influences
>>
Everyone who mentioned "krautrock" in this thread, please go back to /r/indieheads.

Vocal influence from Can =/= krautrock influence. Also, krautrock isn't even a real genre. Stop pretending you know what you're talking about. Stop parroting critics.

A large part of Kid A is influenced by IDM definitely. There's prog influence too. It's a distilled prog album in essence.

>>61939577
>>61939863
This must be bait.
>>
>>61941355
what idm album does kid a sound like? i hear hardly any influence in terms of percussion, besides maybe morning bell.
>>
>>61941389
Idioteque for percussion, blaringly obvious. But besides percussion you have to look for the ambiance influence as well. The track Kid A is the whole package. You can hear Aphex Twin influence in the melody. Check out his track "Nannou"
>>
File: OKKidA-5678.jpg (92KB, 700x372px) Image search: [Google]
OKKidA-5678.jpg
92KB, 700x372px
which album is better and why?
>>
>>61942067
i prefer ok comp just cuz i dont really fuck with the more ambient shit in kid a
>>
>>61942067
It's a really creative album aesthetically and musically anon, you can't deny that. the fact it's not downright "innovative" doesn't mean its not a creative album.

The album deserves the praise it gets imo, its a classic on it's own right. the atmosphere and emotional intensity are simply brilliant
>>
>>61942133
the ambiance is part of what makes Kid A so good for me
>>
>>61941731
Yeah, I hear the Aphex Twin type melody for Kid A but that's it. Percussion on Idioteque is too simplistic.
>>
>>61939450
Random Q: what is the most progressive genre currently?
>>
>>61939450
It's not very innovative but it is pretty good. Also, I hear Krautrock more than I head IDM, but that's maybe because most IDM basically rips off Krautrock in the first place.
>>
Idioteque is the greatest song of all time
>>
>>61939562
Agree with you anon
>>
>>61943479
not even the best song on the album, calm down.
>>
>>61945067
HEREEE IM ALLOWWEEED
EVERYTHING ALL OF THE TIIIIIIIIME

this is the point at which i realized thom yorke is actually the pinnacle of vocalists of humanity
>>
>>61939450
It's just another example of mainstream bands using ideas that have been in the underground for years and everyone hails them as innovative cause they don't know It's influences.
>>
It's not that it's innovative, it's that the songs are really fucking good AND creative.

There's the counterpoint and interplay between the drums and keys/beat in title track, the jazz freakout and distortion in National Anthem, the looming avantstrings in HTDC.

the album's full of really, really creative shit. Radiohead has never considered themselves innovative. Thom said OKC was a bunch of pop songs which it is.
>>
>>61945422
this

i don't even know where to begin with somebody that thinks kid a is "innovative." good lord people.

the album is a hackneyed, obnoxious piece of shit btw
>>
why do these threads exist? eeeeeevryday.
>>
>>61945422
like swans?
>>
>>61945503
sorta on the same wavelength, yeah, but swans actually consistently make good music.
>>
>>61939562
>I've listened to a lot of IDM
Me too.

And yeah, I agree with you, too.
>>
>>61945503
>>61945553
Swans aren't at all like Kid A.
>>
>>61941389
Listen to SAW 85-92 and then listen back to Kid A. It's there.
>>
>>61945572
assuming you mean musically that's not what we're talking about at all
>>
>>61945600
oh.
Now I see what he means.
pologies
>>
>>61945553
not at all
>>
>>61945466
this

Radiohead are a MAINSTREAM band. Before the Internet, you couldn't just google artists and educate yourself. This album introduced a whole new sphere of music to lots of people.

It WAS "innovative," in comparison with its peers.
>>
>>61945661
oh yeah ?
>>
File: folder.jpg (567KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
567KB, 1000x1000px
>>61945665
They weren't even the first to do that. Pic related is basically Kid A in the 70s
>>
>>61945593
uh, not really. they are hardly any ambient techno leanings apart from the title track.

if anything, the atmosphere is slightly similar to lp5, but musically/stylistically? i just don't see it. the electronic elements are more reminiscent of first wave post-rock - like, i hear more stereolab than anything else on kid a, frankly.
>>
>>61945492
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>61945692
Low wasn't the first to do that!

It was basically the X of the 70's

X wasn't even the first to do that!

Y is basically the X of the 50's

Fucking yawn, dude.
>>
>>61939450
people who use the term IDM in reference to this record know nothing about IDM or music in general

>light influences

what the fuck does this even mean? can you formulate a real opinion on this record or are you literally retarded?
>>
>>61946218
What point are you even making?
>>
>>61946225
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!
Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>61946269
>implying tripcodes

anons, everyone
>>
>>61946269
they're right though desu. it's like everyone latched on to the fact that thom said he was listening to autechre, aphex twin, squarepusher, the list could go on.... during the making of the album and then decided that kid a sounded like those artists when it really doesn't share much in common with them or idm in general.
>>
>>61946285
using a name without a tripcode is more retarded than using a tripcode
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.