[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he the Bowie of hip hop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: young-thug.jpg (68KB, 609x609px) Image search: [Google]
young-thug.jpg
68KB, 609x609px
Is he the Bowie of hip hop?
>>
No because bowie is good
>>
no, that'd be Kanye
>>
no because Young Thug is good
>>
Redditors will think this is bait but I genuinely believe that Young Thug is more original than David Bowie
>>
Why of course, my fellow Pitchfork drone!
I know a lot about music: Bowie, Jamie XX, Young Thugger
I'm a patrician
>>
>>61936189
no he is.Thug is a true innovator in the rap game. Bowie just made derivative pop rock.
>>
>>61936189
Please explain your point of view because this just seems like bait
>>
>>61936212
>derivative pop rock
Yeah Aladdin sane is so bland
>>
>>61936189

musically he is

Bowie didn't do a single innovative thing musically in his life. sure he had a weird fashion sense and artsy covers and shit, but then again so does Lady Gaga
>>
>>61936214
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/09/17/a-loss-for-words-listening-to-the-post-verbal-brilliance-of-young-thug/
>>
>>61936214
You seem to be a redditor
Me, I'm a 4channer, a true connoisseur of modern music
You probably only listen to Led Zeppelin and Queen, while I'm into experimental sounds such as Animal Collective... you'd get headaches from their music because it's just so avant-garde
>>
>>61936150
more the boring of hip hop
>>
>>61936212
>makes derivative trap
>"true innovator in the rap game"

kek. go to bed, jeffrey williams.
>>
>>61936150
> most androgynous in the game
> boldly experimenting while still making pop listenable music
> smashing gender stereotypes

.....holy shit he is the Bowie of rap, just another reason to love lil thugger
>>
>>61936245
Holy shit is this real?
>>
>>61936303
Jesus, look at this dude's other articles:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/people/chris-richards
>>
>>61936245
Got a Rarri with the engine in the back
Every neighbor know a nigga servin' crack
Chasing cheese, but I can not be a rat
Screamin' free Gucci Mane, no Mack

Sounds like typical rap lyrics to me, nothing hame changing. I could ne wrong maybe his beats are amazing and next level, never listened to him

>>61936248
I listen to everything you just namedropped and I'm going to see Anco in march as a matter of fact. You can't come up with an argument when I ask for a simple questionand just cry "reddit!" Maybe you're the one who needs a hugbox
>>
>>61936245

>If he lived inside a comic book, his speech balloons would be filled with Jackson Pollock splatters.
>>
File: 1.png (214KB, 942x298px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
214KB, 942x298px
>>61936355
>Sounds like typical rap lyrics to me, nothing hame changing. I could ne wrong maybe his beats are amazing and next level, never listened to him
anon you need to know that young thug's flow and vocal delivery is 80% of what makes him so innovative. you cant just read the lyrics and think you get the gist of it

thats like reading a screenplay to a movie and thinking you've seen the movie

if young thug should be compared with anyone it should only be kate bush and wacka flocka
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 500x750px
>Before dying, David Bowie reportedly told his wife that the only musician alive today capable of continuing his legacy is Jeffrey Lamar Williams, better known by his stage name Young Thug.
>>
>>61936355
>the experimental sound of AnCo
>their avant garde sound will give you headaches...
How could you possibly fall for this?
>>
>>61936396
Link me something to convince me you are right in the sense that young thug is innovative
>Bowie of hip hop
genre is too homophobic desu senpai
>>
>>61936150
Yes
>>
>>61936438
i never said young thug was the bowie of hip hop, i would never insult young thug like that.

anyway heres proof young thug is one of the last mainstream musicians who are worthy of the "artist" moniker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTGQrA5HHIU
>>
>>61936150
bowie was in his prime when you were still swimming in your daddy's nutsack lmfao
>>
>>61936396
>you can't just read the lyrics
is that why young thug fags are always talking about his "absurd lyrics, their so funny and zany XD"
I have no issues with young thug, I'm just tired of people acting like he's the second coming
>>
>>61936434
Yes anon Anco is generic pop just like the top 40 radio stuff. Nothing experimental about them

Here's your /mu/ street cred
>>
M I N A J
I
N
A
J
>>
>>61936469
one day it will click, until then stick to derivative folk like sufjan stevens and derivative pop like animal collective and david bowie
>>
>>61936468
Haha these kids. Only we know, right pal? Hey wanna go to the bar later its friday
>>
File: 1451093280556.png (444KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1451093280556.png
444KB, 800x600px
hip hop
>>
>>61936464
>i would never insult young thug like that.
>that video
OPINION DISCARDED

Have a nice day guys I'm done here
>>
>>61936495
i don't drink
>>
>>61936506
see>>61936490

good riddens redditor
>>
>>61936490
I don't listen to hip hop at all, but again, I have no problems with the artists. Its memers and baiters like you that piss me off. Young thug is just another rapper, not some cultural phenomenon. Why is it him in particular that you people spam across this board?
>>
>>61936530
>good riddens
young thug fans everybody
>>
>>61936609
>memers and baiters like you that piss me off
first of all, i am not a memer or a baiter. second, you are exhibiting a defense mechanism whereby you convince yourself that an opinion you disagree with is "bait" as a way to help you sleep at night. you should buy an elizabethan collar so that way you don't have to look at things you disagree with.

finally,
>piss me off
you shouldn't be on /mu/ if memes and bait pisses you off.
>>61936609
>Young thug is just another rapper, not some cultural phenomenon. Why is it him in particular that you people spam across this board?
show me another rapper that sounds like him.
>>61936620
fuck nigga
>>
>>61936609
Because hes a cultural phenomenom you goon, who else is pushing the boundries thugger is
>>
>>61936609
>Young thug is just another rapper, not some cultural phenomenon.
hello reddit
>>>/r/music
>>
>>61936468
what does that have to do with op's question
>>
>>61936655
>>61936666
What boundaries are being pushed by Young Thug? Flamboyancy? When I saw him begin to get posted I decided to listen and it was just the same shit other rappers are doing. Please tell me, what about him is so revolutionary. How is he a phenomenon? A lot of normies have never heard of him. Please let me understand what is so incredible that it makes you make multiple threads a day comparing him to David Bowie, these threads of course starting the day he died. If this isn't bait what is it?

>>61936713
If what I've heard is true, reddit loves young thug, so maybe you'd be more in your element there
>>
File: 1435162554360.jpg (2MB, 5000x3329px) Image search: [Google]
1435162554360.jpg
2MB, 5000x3329px
>>61936841
>reddit loves young thug
not even remotely true

bowie on the other hand is up there with queen led zepplin and tame impala for reddit's favorite musician of all time
>>
>>61936915
lmao so much butthurt from plebs
>>
>>61936915
Ok, but still, can you explain to me what is so revolutionary about him? I'm genuinely trying to see your point of view.
>>
>>61936150
Dont u let out that antidote
>>
>>61936982
Why explain, if your honestly interested in why thugger is so magnetic, dive in
>>
>>61936982
Barter 6 might be the most revolutionary hip-hop album of this decade. Its barely there production doesn’t so much frame his rapping as it does provide a surface for his words to dance upon, to explore the art of rapping in multiple dimensions: melodically, rhythmically, lyrically, and in terms of composition. His voice glides through the thick absence of sound. He’s responsible for a lot of the songwriting; he knocks out his own hooks, and his writing speaks to his use of phrasing, his backgrounds, the flows he uses, and the way he plays with each song’s internal architecture. On “Halftime,” his car-screech adlibs are elongated—it’s as if a camera panned suddenly from a pinprick of light, causing it to blur—so he can change tones, harmonizing this background yelp with his own main vocals.

His lyrical style stands out in a number of ways; the most obvious is his ear for figurative language. Thug’s similes often build upon familiar imagery, but move in unexpected directions. On “Check,” he opens rapping about a “Mink coat with the rolls like a Shar Pei”; later on, he raps, “All my niggas, they hard, call them beetles.” These aren’t punchlines intended to get rap fans doubling over laughing (although they can be funny in their unpredictability). Thug seems more interested in an original and idiosyncratic approach to imagery, in discovering pathways in language that haven’t already been heavily traveled.

In this, his lyrical approach is closer to a rapper like Raekwon than it is Lil Wayne, with whom Thug is frequently compared through some fault of his own. But any close reading of his lyrics suggest comparisons between The Barter 6 and Wayne’s Carter series, for which it is named, are a total misdirection. Where Wayne shredded his vocals against hip-hop’s formal constraints, Thug is a synthesist, a rapper of control, an artist in the process of reassembly.
>>
>>61936982
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6OUIjtM6E
>>
>>61937016
>His lyrical style stands out in a number of ways; the most obvious is his ear for figurative language. Thug’s similes often build upon familiar imagery, but move in unexpected directions. On “Check,” he opens rapping about a “Mink coat with the rolls like a Shar Pei”; later on, he raps, “All my niggas, they hard, call them beetles.” These aren’t punchlines intended to get rap fans doubling over laughing (although they can be funny in their unpredictability). Thug seems more interested in an original and idiosyncratic approach to imagery, in discovering pathways in language that haven’t already been heavily traveled.

LMFAO
>>
>>61937006
I already said I tried. I'm just not hearing what you're hearing, that's why I want to hear your thoughts.
>>
File: 1448602855336.gif (3MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1448602855336.gif
3MB, 480x480px
>This thread
>>
>>61937188
Was he on the winning or losing team
>>
>>61937016
I read and again tried listening to some of the barter 6. I sort of understand where you're coming from, but it still just sounds unremarkable to me. It may be because I don't listen to very much hip hop.
But isn't this sort of discussion better than
>thugger is the next bowie
>lol pleb >>>reddit
>you just don't get it rockist :^)

If there was actually substance to your threads I'm sure they'd be more well received. that is, if this isn't just pasta
>>
>>61936189
if you are older than 18 please kill yourself.
>>
>>61936189
Musically, yes, but there would be no Young Thug without Bowie stylistically. And, just to be clear, Bowie's music is still better, even if it's less original.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.