[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

80's Alternative

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 7829898_dec32419aa.jpg (37KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
7829898_dec32419aa.jpg
37KB, 500x333px
That moment when punk, post punk, and melody united to form a new somewhat under the radar revolutionary sound that laid the foundation for late 80'/early 90's grunge/punk/ alternative
All thoughts are welcome
>>
husker du wipers big black?
>>
>>61929844
>when punk, post punk, and melody united
made me think immediately of the Meat Puppets' Up On The Sun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6pzaRulgg0
just 'cause Kurdt repped the previous album on his acoustic set doesn't mean this wasn't more consistent as an album

I never really felt much of the influence from the Huskers on the 90's rock scene, weirdly. whatever tunesense and songcraft always felt buried under guitar noise. wasn't until Sugar's Copper Blue that I started to get their drift, but by then they were playing around in (and exceeding at) an accepted 90's alt-rock framework, weren't they?
>>
>>61929859
R.E.M.?
Replacements?
>>
>>61929940
Yeah, Bob Mould was finally free to explore the landscape he helped create

He had some great solo stuff too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tNLtLMU8pkk
>>
>>61929974
holy shit, he was still kicking it way later than I'd've expected :D
>>
File: 4L_WPQJL510.jpg (22KB, 220x224px) Image search: [Google]
4L_WPQJL510.jpg
22KB, 220x224px
>>61929844
I've really been obsessed with this album lately. 1988.

My Fav track is "wrote for luck"
>>
>>61930047
Yeah he's still an underrated gem in my opinion. Obviously a lot of people look up to him, but I feel he was one of the true pioneers in transitioning from true punk to that melodic/alternative sound and might not fet enough credit for that. The man's an American national treasure :D
>>
>>61929844
total freedom is the best of what "punk" promised. lots of different experiments were performed on the simple rock form to stretch and generally fuck with it in productive ways.

basically what all this messing around succeeded at was in opening up a creative space in the form for interesting new movements to gestate and grow in. here we have the beginnings of math rock, post-rock, and a total revitalization of pop music through noisy guitars.

what's different is how much the landscape has shifted. radio got nuked by the internet, meaning now we have teenagers listening to bebop, funk, gamelan, qawwali, SST, classical - EVERYTHING at their disposal.

I grew up when all these things were hived off from one another, and my taste today would seem chimeric in the extreme compared to the 90's. I don't know how any new "let's rewrite all the rules from scratch" movement could even come about, when nearly everyone has multiple "tastes" and different starting points today compared to even 15 years ago...
>>
>>61930213
I like your synopsis anon
Very insightful

I wish more people knew about this unique turning point in music
>>
>>61930257
why thank you - I couldn't help thinking a ton about it, addicted to music like I am

there's acres of ground to cover for people just coming up, and it can be difficult to get any perspective at all. I still think it's imporatant for people to keep some subcultural affiliations in order to stay grounded in this now-immense musical landscape.

I like to think of having one foot in the VU-influenced art-band/punk/alt scene (being born into no tradition in particular means this way comes easiest as a way to approach making new music), and the other in the funk scene (which I think of any dance style that came about in the Americas - whether samba or Cuban son or prime James Brown).

I go back to what Mike Watt said: "The ethics are still there if you want to use it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLkgz3N173Q&t=11m40s
we need to have some common ground to talk to one another, and share ideas. I still wonder what the next subcultural burst of creativity will be - even a single year of THAT would be monumental in this age!
>>
>>61930569
Yeah I was brought up on punk, mostly first wave and the early 90's revival stuff. It all just branched out from there. From Husker Du it snowballed into all kinds of new unique sounds. From the Pixies to Pavement, to genres Id never even listened to (hip hop, reggae). I would give anything to go back to this time in music and watch Husker Du, Replacements, R.E.M.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.