[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about this album? Did this album click with you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Joanna_Newsom_-_Divers.jpg (52KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
Joanna_Newsom_-_Divers.jpg
52KB, 620x620px
Can we talk about this album?

Did this album click with you on your first listen?
I honestly love Have One On Me and Ys but i just can't get into Divers.
The keys of all the songs on this records change back and forth so much
that i can almost never find a point that feels comfortable to listen to. It's like each song on here builds up more and more tension with all these bridges but never releases it. In terms of instrumentation it really shines, but i just don't "feel" it.
>>
I have to disagree. I really liked Ys and outright loved Have One On Me, and while this was a disappointment by lack of experimentation of her established sound, I still thought it was great.

The key changes didn't bother me at all, Newsom certainly knows a lot more about composition than I do, so I don't feel qualified to talk in depth about it.
>>
>>61926548
After i finished Have One On Me and Ys i had all the songs stuck in my head. But after i finished Divers i couldn't even really remember most of them, the only parts that were stuck in my head were actually the more simple chord progressions during choruses or the song A Pin-Light Bent because it's pretty much the only song that doesn't use a key change bridge like that to lead into the next part of the song
>>
>>61926485
it was exactly what i expected. fantastic album, and in a lot of other artists' catalogs would be the best by far, but compared to Ys and HOOM it obviously comes up short. i'd put it on a level with her first album, a beautiful collection of songs with an incredible amount of emotion, but not the complete otherworldliness of her second and third albums.
>>
>>61926688
I had a simliar experience at first but I've come to love the songs on Divers. I think it's an amazing album, as good as Ys and HOOM in my mind
>>
I think the first three songs and last three songs are fantastic and some of the best stuff she's ever done.

The middle of the album isn't anything special tho imo. Idk why people liked Goose Eggs so much
>>
MEM is her best album
>>
Some really great stuff on it, Anecdotes might be one of my favorites songs by her ever, but yeah doesn't really meet the heights of her previous two IMO. But really that's expected since Ys and HOOM are some of the best records of the century so far.
>>
>>61926688
sapokanikan it's a pretty accesible song, dunno how you couldnt remember that

also, any advices for listening to HOOM? i have the same problem that you have with Divers
>>
>>61928361
Sapokanikan was SoTY 2015. That buildup is fucking incredible and has made me cry like five separate times
>>
>>61928388
i know ;-; i was completely high the first time i heard Divers and it took me for surprise... it gave the goosebumps
>>
File: qmm.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
qmm.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
>>61928388
>has made me cry

I'm jealous. I always feel like i have a really good emotional connection to music, but i can't say any music has ever made me cry or even almost cry. I get melancholic and sad, but crying? Never happened. When i read about people crying when they listen to X album or song i always feel like i must be fucking stonehearted.
>>
>>61926485
Maybe I'm a "pleb" but Divers is honestly my favorite album from her.
I get very emotional whenever I listen to it.
>>
Divers is actually the first album of hers that I immediately connected wih. Some of her best work is on there (Anectodes + SAPOKANIKAN especially). It's catchy and accessible, but still complex enough to not be mindnumbing. Honestly it's right next to Ys for me.

Seeing her live tomorrow guys, I'm very excite
>>
When the singles came out I've found them disappointing, I've listened to them once, and found them somewhat disappointing, particularly I've found instrumentation decisions to be flat out bad.

But, when I've listened to the album as a whole after it was released, with the lyrics in front of me, I fell in love it, slowly mind, I've listened to it repeatedly about 4 times when I first got it. And it only really clicked with me on the third.

I particularly think her shift in songwriting style is tremendous, I dare say this album, taken in context with Ys and HOoM makes her my favorite songwriter in published music.

I also think that the shift in themes to the metaphysical nature of time and human existence, as opposed to human relationships and the notion of Home focused on in previous works, is very well made.

I think the slight change in composition style is also a very positive ones. Indeed my favorite tracks from previous releases: Only Skin, HOoM, Baby Birch, Go Long, In California are very similar in their overarching style to the better tracks of Divers (Anecdotes, Sapokanikan, Pin-Light Bent, Time as a Symptom) while the latter manage to utilize that style much more straightforwardly, in a more compact way.

Lastly, I particularly liked the way in which tracks relate to each other, and I think that's a skill Joanna develops throughout her works. MEM is a collection of tracks. Ys is a very weakly linked collection of tracks. HOoM is a narrative-structured tale composed of tracks. Divers is a cognate on the perception of time as a part of the human existence from a post-religious point of view composed of tracks. And my favorite thing about it would be the way in which the last track is structured, the way in which it attempts to conclude the experience of time but fails, attempts to deny time, and then reattempts to accept existence plainly. I think in that regard the album has transcended previous works, in the ability to create a highpoint.
>>
>>61926485
her best so far, future production
>>
>>61928917
Welcome to the club, I never cry either.

I did choke up a bit when listening to Bowie's Lazarus.
>>
>>61928917
>>61931308
Honestly it was the first time music had ever done that to me. Oh wait, actually a live performance of Cosmia did it first haha. That's it though. Maybe you just have to find the right song/artist for you
>>
>>61926485
The weakest of her albums, but still album of the year. She rehashes some ideas, and a few lyrics irk me a bit, but it's still phenomenal.

>>61931200
Pretty good breakdown imo.

>>61931527
I saw her live last night, Cosmia was amazing.
>>
>>61931145
Me too man. Get pumped
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.