[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Future funk is the worst genre of music in history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

File: a0431781607_5.jpg (130KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
a0431781607_5.jpg
130KB, 700x700px
After talking in a vaporwave thread recently I just realised how dreadful future funk actually is.

"The good thing about vaporwave was that it took incidental music (something we'd hear a lot but never actively listen to) and made it drugged out and likeable, and made a new song.

But future funk just takes funk singles and does practically nothing to them. There's no reason not to just go hear the original singles. You hear one of the things from ArtzieMusic and the lack of editing was outrageous, it's essentially stealing."

For instance. Listen to this track (an 80's funk single created by artist Tavares):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbzK8sntRUU

and then listen to this future funk track that "samples" it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ybbi3Tvj_Q

What do you realise? There's pretty much zero change - "rxtlxck" has lifted this whole phrase and put it out under his own name. The name for that is theft - and you can pretty much go through any future funk "artist"'s catalog and find dozens of parallels to this example.

How does this shit fly? Coldplay plunged into shit after a motif of theirs sounded /vaguely/ similar to a Joe Satriani song, yet these guys are still taking credit for - and even charging for in the case of people like Macross and Yung Bae, which is disgusting - music they didn't make. It just boggles the mind. I don't understand how they don't get sued.

I invite any fan of future funk to explain what the draw is over the singles, and how you can possibly support what is basically outright plagiarism.
>>
8^y
>>
File: sardinanFlag.jpg (2MB, 1800x1212px) Image search: [Google]
sardinanFlag.jpg
2MB, 1800x1212px
>>61897675
Better vaporware here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-m2PtJsycE
>>
>>61897675
They don't sue them because there's no money to be made from ghetto 'musicians'.
>>
W E W L A D
E
W
L
A
D

Someone make money off one of your singles or something??? Lemme guess, you """""""pay""""""" for all of your music too, right?
>>
>inb4 DUDE SAMPLING IS AN ART LISTEN TO J DILLA
>>
>>61897791
Sampling is an art when it treats the sample as a tool to create something new and different to the original sample, not just slapping a beat on a track that you treat as one big sample and call it a day after that.
>>
>>61897787
Whether or not they make money isn't really the primary point being brought up - it's the fact that these guys pretty much steal music instead of making their own original stuff, and people praise them to the skies over it. That shit is backwards.
>>
>>61897841
Wow rapfags really are this delusional
>>
>>61897791
>>61897841
>>61897861

the music is art not the technique

if you steal a good song and rename it it's still a good piece of art
>>
>>61897846
what can you expect from kids today? they were brought up by thieves and gyppos.
>>
>>61897868
So what? Doesn't mean the artistry comes from whoever stole it.
>>
>>61897861
Bleepbloopfag actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdOYn7xCLpM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAX3m6KXgu8
>>
>>61897761
That's a good point, but they still make some money - for instance Yung Bae sells songs for a dollar a pop on Bandcamp - which the original label doesn't really have a reason to NOT demand that they pay them some royalties.
>>
>sampling isn't making music
>le sampling is stealing!!! xD

do you realize how much skill it takes to take a small clip of music, change the pitch/sound, and insert it among a bunch of other different instrument samples to create a whole new song?

70s/80s funk is corny shit, future funk chops and screws it and adds new drums, synths, and bass instrumentation and updates this old dead forgotten music for the new generation who would have never listened to it otherwise.

think of a band like daft punk. daft punk do the same exact shit you're ragging these future funk kids for, but they're universally regarded as one of the best electronic acts of all time and nobody calls them out for it because they make it sound good.
>>
>>61898015
>get 80's funk song
>add PSS TSS CHH TSS over it
>charge people money for somebody elses song
Yeah real hard senpai
>>
>>61897791
it is when it's used correctly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KgSQBeN-hM
>>
>>61898015
>future funk chops and screws it
No, it doesn't, and I invite you to post a future funk song that actually DOES change the motifs of its sample to create something truly new (as a chopped and screwed song would imply).
>>
>>61898015
daft punk get shat on for being talentless hacks all the time around here m80
>>
>>61898015
except future funk doesn't take a small clip and put in the context of another song, it just takes the song and slows it down and adds a drum kick

I do appreciate it for introducing me to 80s jap city pop/funk music tho. That shit's legit fire and better than anything soundcloud fuccbois could produce.
>>
>>61898105
Maybe on here, but literally everywhere else they're praised. They're a mainstream pop band that virtually everyone knows and get big coverage in old jew media like Rolling Stone and shit. Plus the hip indie crowd loves their old stuff along with the elitist RYM-types. Daft Punk do pretty much the same shit and if they came around in 2012 and not '96 they'd be called future funk and named Daft420フランスの同性盗みます or some shit.
>>
>>61898207
>but literally everywhere else they're praised
So are Linkin Park.
>>
>vaporwave kids using the "lel if u criticize vaporwave u hate sampling in general and are a grandpa elitist snob xP" meme again
Wew lads.

Consult jungle for a genre based around sampling the same couple of tracks that manages to not sound completely like the tracks it samples. Then take a look at vaporwave again.
>>
>>61898222
linkin park suck but they write/play their own shit at least
>>
File: anon visits japan.jpg (648KB, 2220x3106px) Image search: [Google]
anon visits japan.jpg
648KB, 2220x3106px
>>61897675
hey op this is you reevaluate your life
>>
>>61898207
The difference between Daft Punk and any future funk producer is that Daft Punk actually make a new song from the stuff they sample. Future funk takes the entire melody and calls it their own.

>>61898244
Precisely this, although vaporwave at least does SOME kind of editing. It tells you something about future funk when it's a poor version OF a poor version of sample-based music.
>>
File: yes.png (84KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
84KB, 900x900px
>>61898273
my b
>>
ITT: anons who have never listened to tha originator

https://youtu.be/l0xTQNm1EuQ
>>
File: 1447612019744.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1447612019744.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
>>61898274
>poor version of sample-based music
Confirmed for having heard a few songs and writing it off.
>>>/out/
>>
>>61898408
Read the OP again - I LIKE vaporwave. But nobody can deny that it does use significantly fewer (and less creative) sampling techniques than your neighbourhood Negativland/Ground-Zero/DJ Shadow.
>>
I think the lack of editing is very interesting. Think of Future Funk in the the same way as Readymades. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Readymades_of_Marcel_Duchamp
>>
Except future funk and vaporwave can both be great and often times improve the cheesy dated music.
>>
>>61898408

woah /out/ is kinda cool ťbh fàm
>>
>>61898482
by making it cheesier and as times and trends go by, more dated?
>>
>>61898476
But readymades just lift everyday objects. Future funk lifts a unique song, created by an artist. That's a big difference. And I doubt Duchamp is claiming to have invented the object.
>>
Meh
I like it
If not for that genre I would not have gotten into citypop so I can't hate on it.

Feel free to do you tho, h8ers.
>>
how many of you would know who tatsuro yamashita or any city pop artist was if it wasnt for saint pepsi or macross be honest
>>
>>61898604
by proxy of YMO and Haruomi Hosono I would have gotten to them eventually enough
>>
>>61898604
I'm the son of Japanese immigrants and they listened to that stuff in the 80s. I knew what city pop was since I was a young kid.
>>
>>61898563
>>61898604

Why don't you two weeaboos just fuck each other already.
>>
But OP, bet you haven't heard this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NiBswn_7zI
>>
>>61898604
I showed my friend /mu/ the other day. Did I act like I owned /mu/?
>>
>>61898604
why did you get more (you)s than I did when our posts had the same message :c
>>
>>61897861
Nice argument
>>
>>61897675
Future Funk is a natural progression from Vaporwave. Both were easy to make and still are.
>>
>>61898526
I see what your getting at, but I feel (and I think this is part of the "big picture" of vaporwave) that the "unique songs" these artists are lifting can be seen as everyday objects. Sure more creativity into making them than a toilet or sink, but to me part of vaporwave is pointing out that a lot of commercial music of the 20th century is similar to these objects in that they are designed to serve a specific function, be it profit, mesmerizing the audience (think samples from advertisements), or making the inhabitants of a club dance.
>>
/\/\3/\/\3$
>>
>>61898689
Because he name dropped artists and you didn't.
>>
Here's a good future funk album that isn't just slowed down or lifted disco tracks (ignore the weeb animu shit)
https://moeshop.bandcamp.com/album/pure-pure
>>
newfriend here, what genre is stuff like flume put under?
>>
>>61898752
>they are designed to serve a specific function
But that's where the fundamental difference lies, as described in the OP. Vaporwave repurposes its sample so that it goes from being forgettable background music to something you'd pull your attention towards. Future funk takes a danceable track and... well, doesn't turn it into anything different. "Pointing out" effectively means "redirection", and they shouldn't be passing it off as their own music.

>>61898793
Oh yeah, someone did mention this as being a step ahead of the game, actually. Do you have any links to the source material?
>>
>>61898829
No idea desu, but here's one at least:
http://www.whosampled.com/sample/383009/Moe-Shop-Kawaii-Desho-Yoko-Oginome-Is-It-True/
>>
>>61898015
>>61898207
>daft punk
it's the whole genre not just DP who are part of it, the genre which is known as french house ffs
>>
>>61898870
Nice, that's pretty good, they use that so it's like a hip hop beat but keeps the funk. But if anything it highlights the problem - why are Yung Bae and Macross the forefront of the genre when stuff like this is clearly more creative? It's so backwards.
>>
>>61898969
Because Yung Bae and Macross were the first to do it along with Saint Pepsi and they just kinda took off. The Moe Shop album came out in the summer I think and those guys were doing shit in like 2012-2013.
>>
>>61897675
it's like they're trying to make it sound like stock music. it's meh, I guess.
>>
>>61898672

Video Girl Ai?

lol
>>
>>61899033
its part of the hyperconsumerist aesthetic brah you just dont get it its symbolic you're supposed to feel like you're in 1988 tokyo brahhh
>>
>>61899004
That shouldn't be the be-all-end-all, though. Like when 2814's album came out it was widely appreciated for the new approach to vaporwave. It's telling that future funk fans don't recognise the equivalents for their genre... but hey.
>>
>>61898773
thats some bullshit

>>61898824
really poppy downtempo I'd say
>>
>>61897675
First off I totally understand that about 95 of future funk can be pretty badly produced, easily stuck together disco edits that 16 year old bedroom producers are making all over the world, but there is a population of artists within the scene which make decent, well chopped, well produced tracks, that may end up sounding like a completely different track. Then again what is futurefunk? just another word for a subgenre of french house music, taking particular inspiration from asian pop music and old 80s tracks which employ heavy use of sampling and side chain compression. There is shit music in all genres.
>>
>>61899051
It's japanese animation from japan
>>
>defends vaporwave
>shits on future funk

lulz

Yung bae is a fucking shitbag tho
>>
>>61899796
If you read the OP you'd know why I did
>>
File: 1451416145421.jpg (3MB, 1485x1455px) Image search: [Google]
1451416145421.jpg
3MB, 1485x1455px
Bump
>>
>>61898604
I'd have to agree with this dude for myself at least but City Pop is legit one of the best generes there is so I'm all good finding it that way.
>>
It's fun music. I find it more enjoyable than the original most of the time because it gets to the good stuff right away.
>>
yo kids have autism these days, a lot more than usual, stuff like future funk will exist because of this, oh well

i really like the genre name

"future funk" it's so funny

like i put vengeance essential electro vol. 2 snare over tavares song this is now
my
"future funk"

so autistic love that memory
>>
>>61901146
dude you are literally an anime bandwagoning white boy! lol "future funk" lmfao all of these future funk producers the funniest thing ever is go on artzie music and he lists the
instagrams/social media profiles of every "future vaper funk artist"

they all look so autistic it's hilarious
vhs effect selfies lmfao

yall niggas need to be cyberbullied off that internet fo real yall niggas ugly af
>>
File: 1447895165890.png (205KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
1447895165890.png
205KB, 505x431px
>>61901275
Simmer down there Tyrone Biggums.
>>
>>61901359
it's my day off i can do whatever i want!
>>
eh its ok

hit or miss

its pretty much just disco house
>>
>>61897675
i like it, it's not the most, shall we say, ethical genre ever. But good artists I.E. saint pepsi can actually make some change to the tracks.

It's like French House, but less detailed, I guess.
>>
>>61901892
This desu.
Say what you want about the genre, but if liking Enjoy Yourself and the like is bad, I don't want to be good.
>>
St. Pepsi put Moonman in a video.

Based as fuck desu.
>>
File: saint_autism.jpg (115KB, 1321x773px) Image search: [Google]
saint_autism.jpg
115KB, 1321x773px
>>61901892
>saint pepsi

literally porter robinson's autistic cousin
>>
>>61902049
ironic lv.2 meta ironic white boy memer anime autism listens to future funk, cannot get a girlfriend
>>
>>61902156
holy fuck he's ugly lmao

even in the photoshopped to hell first couple pics he doesnt look that good
>>
>>61897903
I don't even listen to rap, but saying sampling can't create art is like saying "cutting up a painting and creating a whole new picture with the scraps isn't your piece of art because it was made of someone else's art" It is just very shallow thinking...
>>
>>61902189
I hope you aren't talking about me senpai.
>>
>>61902156
His new skylar spence shit is just plain boring
>>
>>61902218
see
>>61898244
>>61897661
>>
>>61898689
Wow, that's just like 80s funk and future funk!
>>
File: future funk def.png (14KB, 712x104px) Image search: [Google]
future funk def.png
14KB, 712x104px
>>
Dance Punk is worse
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.