[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In defense of the term "Intelligent Dance Music"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: aphex at party.png (236KB, 850x940px) Image search: [Google]
aphex at party.png
236KB, 850x940px
(I've done this thread before last year. Results were good)

Now this is a thing I've been thinking about for a while now, and I think that it might make sense for someone else as well. If I say anything non-sensical or crazy just correct me, but try and bear with me for a second.

People have been saying that the term "Intelligent" Dance Music is pretentious, and in the way it is understood it really is, and most IDM musicians think it is a stupid thing to say. But, I never really understood the term "Intelligent" as relating to the people who listen to the music, but the music itself.

Do you know when you get to see those "intelligent freezing" refrigerators, or "intelligent zooming" televisions? Well according to wikitionary this kind of stuff means "Having an environment-sensing automatically-invoked built-in computer capability." as in a machine that is able to know when to work a certain way, or is programmed to "think" and make things following a certain pattern.
(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intelligent)

When I think of IDM, or "intelligent music", I think about the average IDM beats. They tend to follow weird patterns and variations. The panning and tones go crazy, the speed of the beat and the drums are played are presented as if being created by a "thinking machine" off-top, thus the beat is almost "alive", creating patterns for itself.

Intelligent Dance Music, to me, means "programmed, self-varying music [supposed to sound like it was] created by electronics", the kind of beat-based music that acts like a computer is creating the beats, being programmed to do it.

So, basically, you are all fucking retarded.
>>
lets just call it intricate dance music
>>
I always thought the I in idm meant industrial dance music. Shows how much I know (or care) about genre names.
>>
>>61887068
that makes little sense
Just say IDM's name or Braindance like our lord and savior AFX says
>>
>>61887004

So then shouldn't it be called intelligent design music?
>>
File: will2.jpg (16KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
will2.jpg
16KB, 251x251px
>>61887104
>>
electronic music for people who have never been to a club and are above having fun
>>
"Intelligent Dance Music, to me, means..."
"So, basically, you are all fucking retarded."
Wait, who's retarded?
>>
>>61887226
>r9k level reading comprehension
>>
>>61887004
I actually really like deadmau5.

I think big room house is the real disease of the edm scene tbqh.

Also aggreeing with this >>61887068
>>
>>61887004
if you have to ration it out this hard to cover for being pretentious, you're still pretentious
>>
>>61887271
Nah. You should learn how to write.
>>
File: loitersquad.jpg (47KB, 484x335px) Image search: [Google]
loitersquad.jpg
47KB, 484x335px
>>61887368
>concluding, I think this means this and this adn this, and you can't see it because you are retarded
>"Wait, who's retarded me or u?"
>>
>>61887402
Are you dense?
>>
>>61887441
I ask you the same
>>
>>61887351
regardless of what op said it's not fucking pretentious to call a genre by it's name, even if it was originally pretentious drivel for marketing popularized by music journalists
>>
>>61887351
>>61887466
originally it was a genre frequently compared to robots and machines. The first collection of IDM had a robot on the cover

I think OP nailed it
>>
>>61887104
RDJ does look like Jesus
>>
>>61887068
except most stuff from the mid 90s onward isn't danceable
put yellow calx in a dj set and see what happens
>>
>>61887004
What about Artificial Intelligence Music, since that's what it's named after?
>>
>>61887548
not a bad idea but the genre is so far from it's ambient techno roots that it wouldn't really fit desu
>>
Just ignore the term itself. It's made up by some fuckwads and it caught on. What comes to the music itself, IDM is a quite recognizable sound especially retrospectively, when the current state of experimental electronic music lies completely elsewhere. It's hard to define but it's there, kind of like new wave or something.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.