[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Overrated artists who were not influential at all but who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 6

File: 2016-01-18_14-35-15.png (640KB, 451x587px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-18_14-35-15.png
640KB, 451x587px
ITT: Overrated artists who were not influential at all but who many normies consider to have been influential
>>
>>61845856
he'll be fine
>>
>>61845856
I don't even know who that is

But I guess Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, anyone from Metallica.
>>
>>61845903
You don't know who Neil Young is?
>>
>>61845856
You don't have to like Neil Young but he is objectively influential
>>
>>61845916
I do, but I had to google image it. Don't know what he looks like now
>>
you're only real with your makeup on
>>
>>61845856
Define "Normie" because all the normal people I know HATE Neil Young, and don't consider him one bit influential at all in the least.
>>
>>61845856
You start
>>
>>61846114
Fuck off he made some good albums.
>>
The Beatles
seriously
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INeEL3Vbw_M

great song
>>
>>61846247
If you're being serious than you really are clueless.
>>
After The Goldrush is one of the reasons people like Thom Yorke are GreenPeace terrorism supporters. Does that count?
>>
>>61845856
im angry at your opinion
>>
>>61845856
Is it even possible to be as popular of a musician as Neil Young and not be influential? Not even an indication of quality at that point
>>
File: neil-young.jpg (49KB, 312x400px) Image search: [Google]
neil-young.jpg
49KB, 312x400px
Normies only give him credit for his most mundane work, which is probably why you think he's overrated. Meanwhile, his mid 90's output - arguably his best work, most ambitious work - is completely ignored. I think he just said fuck it after that and quit playing songs once their respective tour was over. He's really underrated, except for the fact that his name is Neil Young and he's made country hits. Aside from that, his most intriguing work gets little acclaim. But, because he has these popular songs he's made, he doesn't have the luxury of being dubbed "underrated." So he's kind of fucked.
>>
Dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3jnu1yJO0
>>
File: the_rolling_stones_band-208513.jpg (657KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
the_rolling_stones_band-208513.jpg
657KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>61846701
Only good answer itt
>>
File: 198706.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
198706.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I heard from a guy they invented metal
>>
>>61846701
literally Hackie Watts, Hackeith Richards, Mick Hacker, and some other ancient faggot that keeps on touring with the most generic blues buttrock band ever
>>
>>61846685
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMIgYwZBsrU and this.
>>
>>61845856
how can you say neil young isnt influential?

Tons of 90s alt rock was influenced by neil young
>>
>>61846802
>be 13
>download ACDC discography because they're bad ass as fuck
>get tired after one album because literally every song sounds the same
>never listen to ACDC ever again
>>
Led Zeppelin
>>
>>61846854
they were the most INFLUENCED band if you catch my drift
>>
>>61845856
Dumbass even Slint have said they were influenced by him
>>
Death Grips.
>>
>>61846701
My dad said even back in the 70s, a lot of people called them overrated and said wtf are these guys so big they can't play for shit.
>>
>>61847040
they were the most INFLUENCED band if you catch my drift
>>
>>61846114
hating Neil Young?! whyyyyyy

also OP is wrong ofc.
I'ld say The Eagles.
>>
Pavement
>>
>>61846854
what the heck no
>>
>>61847057
I guess if your idea of rock was tighty, riffy stuff like Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin, then you might not go for Keith's twangy open G playing.
>>
>>61847313
>driving with friend who has souped up stereo system in his car
>play Texas Never Whispers at full volume
>beginning causes ear pain
>>
File: michael-jackson.jpg (662KB, 1236x917px) Image search: [Google]
michael-jackson.jpg
662KB, 1236x917px
>>
>>61846986
Can you find some copies of records which they copied? There were none. A handful of uncredited lyrics. If they stole their songs...why didn't those songs become popular when the "original" artists wrote them? Led Zeppelin did virtually no covers. The Stones and Beatles did a lot of them.
>>
>>61846854
Just because normies like them doesn't make them bad. For some reason, they were never able to able to keep it together for an entire album (like, what the hell were Black Dog and Rock & Roll doing on IV? That's like if Yes's Close to the Edge started off with an Elvis cover.) But aside from at least one throwaway song making it onto each album they made, they were pretty incredible. Houses of the Holy is basically a perfect album.
>>
>>61845856
> "I'm everyone's conscience, let me annoy you"

great musician, insufferable cunt
>>
>>61846618
>his mid 90's output - arguably his best work, most ambitious work - is completely ignored
You misspelled "late 80s to mid-90s" but are otherwise correct.

Also his retard push for an overpriced mp3 player was a sign he lost his fucking mind.
>>
>>61847488
>If they stole their songs...why didn't those songs become popular when the "original" artists wrote them? Led Zeppelin did virtually no covers
> Zep's "When the Levee Breaks" was always a blues tune; Magic Slim just returns it to its Delta roots
http://www.amazon.com/This-Aint-Tribute-Blues-Cube/dp/B000020623

4chan is an 18+ site, child
>>
>>61845856
He's a great guitarist, but he cant sing for fucking shit.
Example: https://youtu.be/dwe4bwQTj0o
>>
>>61846618
His mid-90s stuff is good but the ditch trilogy is hands down the best thing he ever did
>>
>>61846247
Have you heard any of the Beatles' early stuff? They made a massive impact on pop music.
>>
>>61846618
Neil is one of those hippie/boomer era guys who caught a second wind in the 90s mainly because the alternative bands (esp. Pearl Jam) worshiped him and introduced him to new kids. And also his style of music was fashionable again while it seemed completely antediluvian in the slicked-back, technology-centered 80s.
>>
>>61846854
>pioneered early heavy metal
>not influential.
Stop please
>>
>>61850350
Black Sabbath beat Led Zeppelin at that by miles.
>>
Springsteen

>>61845903
>Kurt Cobain
Hugely influential

>>61845903
>Metallica
Metallica is one of the most influential bands of all time. Pretty much every metal band after them cites them as an influence. And their influence stretches far beyond metal, look at Justice for example.

>>61846701
GnR, Aerosmith etc
http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/07/artists-discuss-the-rolling-stones-influence.html

>>61846802
Megadeth, Anthrax, Wolfmother, Rick Rubin etc

>>61846854
Literally the most directly influential band of all time
>>
>>61850370
>Led Zeppelin (1969)
>Black Sabbath (1970)
Sorry m8.
Also, Led Zep did more varied styles from album to album
>>
>>61846618
Le Noise is sweet
>>
Pink Floyd

While they're my favorite band, they really haven't directly influenced many other big artists besides Radiohead and maybe Genesis.
>>
>>61850346
The social atmosphere changed as well. The Reagan years marked a resounding rejection of the 1960s and all that it stood for. Anyone associated with that period like Dylan, Baez, and Young were completely uncool. The Clinton years were different; a lefty draft dodging hippie was in the White House so the 60s got viewed with more rose tinted glasses.

As Bubba said himself, "If you think the 60s did more good than harm, you're probably a Democrat. If you think the 60s did more harm than good, you're probably a Republican."
>>
>>61850441
>http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/lists/2012/07/artists-discuss-the-rolling-stones-influence.html

Yeah but the most influential Stones album was probably EOMS which was one of the unfortunate ingredients in hair metal/buttrock.
>>
>>61850370
" According to Mick Wall's book Black Sabbath: Symptom of the Universe, Butler was dead set against the song because he thought it too closely resembled Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown", with the bassist admitting, "I thought it was so much like that we couldn't possibly get away with it ... They were our favorite band by that time."

BTFO

No Zeppelin, no Sabbath as we know it
>>
>>61850507
>what is opeth and progressive metal
>>
>>61850507
>Porcupine Tree
>Alice in Chains
>>
>>61850507
>only their post-meddle work was influential
>>
>>61850441
>Springsteen

I agree. Springsteen cites as his main influences Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison. However, I can't think of a notable artist who said that Bruce was an influence on them.
>>
>>61850560
Nice strawman but that doesn't rebutt my point. You said Zepellin pioneered heavy metal, but here it just says that Zepellin influenced Sabbath. So what if they did? That doesn't mean that they also influenced the genre by extension.
>>61850455
See above.
>>
Zeppelin often get cited as "metal" when they certainly are not. And actually, even Tony Iommi has rejected the metal label when describing Sabbath's sound.
>>
>>61850782
I think the term "metal" tends to be used as a blanket term for any riff-driven rock.
>>
>>61850838
The line between metal and hard rock tends to be blurred, but the most important distinction is that metal has distortion while hard rock doesn't.
>>
>>61850705
>That doesn't mean that they also influenced the genre by extension.
Clearly it does. They influenced pretty much everyone in metal/hard rock: Metallica, Black Sabbath, Queen, Van Halen, AC/DC, Guns n' Roses, QoTSA, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Soundgarden etc. Pretty much every popular hard rock band after them and a shit load of metal as well
>>
>>61850782
Crap, I've heard Motley Crue referred to as metal when they're not either. AC/DC, Van Halen, and Motley Crue are hard rock, NOT metal.
>>
>>61847313
they influenced built to spill who influenced modest mouse's good albums

good enough for me
>>
>>61850865
Well, yeah. 90s Metallica is generally considered hard rock, not metal like their 80s albums.
>>
Genesis

The prog bands that followed them, yes.
But their influence seems to end there (79ish) for the most part.
>>
>>61846802
>metal
kek, that guy is a fag, it's hard rock with blues influence.
>>
RHCP. For a band as huge as they are, I struggle to think of anyone they influenced.
>>
>>61851237
Mike Patton
>>
>>61851183
>>61850994
Kek. I found this butthurt Tipper Gore book from the 80s "Raising (PG)-rated kids in an X-rated society" which devotes entire chapters to the evul effects that meal had on your teenager. And aside from citing obviously metal artists like Ozzy and Metallica, the book includes AC/DC, Motley Crue, and other bands that are actually hard rock under the collective label of "heavy metal".
>>
>>61846844
SO FUCKING TRUE. The exact same drum beat on every single one lol
>>
>>61851311
I doubt people like Tipper Gore actually cared enough to learn about the distinction between hard rock and metal, though I'm a little bit kek-ing at Xgau's review of Shout At The Devil where he says "It should be no surprise that this platinum product is utter dogshit even by heavy metal standards." because I assume he'd have somewhat more musical knowledge than the PMRC.
>>
>>61845938
No, he isn't.
Nobody wants to play or write songs like Neil Young.
They all want to play like Clapton or Hendrix, or write songs like Dylan. When the topic of Neil Young comes up, everybody says "oh, I like a couple of his songs", and they all mention the same things-Into The Black, Heart of Gold. Cinnamon Girl, and Rockin' in the Free World.
Beyond that, literally nobody cares.
>>
>>61851410
>>61851311
If you'd told James Hetfield in 1986 that Motley were "metal", he'd laugh you out of the building. Hell no, Metallica spent an entire decade or close to it shitting on glam rock bands every chance they got.
>>
>>61845856
Everyone from Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel.
>>
>>61851454
They didn't really share a fanbase either; Motley Crue and Dokken's fans were jocks/dudebros while metalheads were punky skateboarder types or D&D nerds.
>>
My sister said today that the Foo Fighters invented grunge
>>
>>61846701
No
Every rock band dreams of being the Stones.
>>
>>61851449
>Nobody wants to play or write songs like Neil Young
Eddie Vedder. Aside from him...
>>
>>61847488
It's always white guilt autists who will post a copypasta list of generic blues songs that (surprise) sound vaguely similar to the blues-rock of early Zep.
Even what's supposed to be heir most blatant plagiarism case, Stairway to Heaven, sounds absolutely nothing like the song it supposedly ripped off.
>>
>>61847287
Obviously you've never listened to any country music recorded after 1980.
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM fucking worships the Eagles.
>>
>>61847287
>The Eagles
>influential

nobody has ever picked both
>>
>>61845856
This has to be a troll, Neil Young influenced literally every alternative and indie band from the 90s.
>>
File: 1316971583223.jpg (62KB, 614x612px) Image search: [Google]
1316971583223.jpg
62KB, 614x612px
>>61851586

The influence me into wanting to kill myself every time I hear an Eagles song, but that's about it.
>>
>>61851586
You have no idea just how big of an influence the Eagles, Doobie Brothers, and REO Speedwagon were on country.
>>
>>61851578
Just like in turn how Don Henley worships George Jones and Waylon Jennings.
>>
>>61851650
What a Fool Believes is one good fucking ditty.
>>
>>61851650
They gave me cancer.
>>
>>61851650
>>61851803
Doobies and REO kind of encapsulated the more rednecky heartland of 1970s America. They appealed to a large part of the country that didn't connect with the New York and LA music scenes where androgynous glam wardrobes and punk rock dominated.
>>
Influence doesn't always mean make songs like them. Listen to his rhythms, some wood say they are similar to that of pink Floyd. Alot of people started to use those bouncy rhythm types after their stuff in the early 70's.

His introspective and narrative lyrics have influenced song writers like Elliot Smith and sun kil moon.

I mean I could probs go on, but surly you get where I am coming from. You don't have to copy a style to say it gave you influence.
>>
>>61851621
That's because you're a faggot, and you killing yourself is truly the best thing you could do for your fellow man.
>>
>>61851449
>They all want to play like Clapton or Hendrix
Or Page or Eddie Van Halen.

Strange though how few guitarists cite Keith Richards as an influence. The Holy Pantheon of Guitar Gods seems to be Hendrix/Clapton/Page/EVH.
>>
>>61852103
Clapton is overrated. Influential but Mick Taylor was far better as a player imo
>>
>>61852103
Lot of people aren't into Keith's clangly twangly variations on Chuck Berry and they want to play a nice tight riff along the lines of Back In Black.
>>
>>61852103
Thsts because they can only compare it to music they are exposed too. When I was a true pleb I thought the same thing. Now if you asked me who a great guitarist was, I'd cite some of those guys as well as guitarists from mogwai, gybe, tortoise, Dave whoever from darkside, my bloody valentine ect, wes Montgomery... The list goes on...

I just assume that's why they say that, because to the untrained/pidgeon holed ear, that's all they have to compare.
>>
>>61846701
keith richards fucking club fingers make me so uncomfortable
>>
>>61850631
The Gaslight Anthem
Titus Andronicus
>>
>>61853190
>notable
>>
Rage Against the Machine

Tom Morello's guitar tone was pretty unique and they mashed rap and rocl better than anyone else but I can't think that they influenced that many bands. Those they did probably sucked hard.
>>
>>61853190
literally who
>>
>>61851449
Except Thom Yorke, Eddie Vedder, and the slew of others who cite him as an influence.
>>
>>61853258
There's heaps of clown rap metal shit. Just check YouTube. Rage just did it well and were original at the time.
>>
>>61853646
this, just saying "nobody likes him" isn't an argument
>>
>>61845856
Zach Hill. None of his projects have been anywhere near groundbreaking, he's just taken pre-existig ideas and performed them more manically. Faster =/= Better or new.
>>
>>61850307
Have you heard any of the Nazi's use of chemical weapons? They made a massive impact on mass execution.
>>
>>61845856
Grateful Dead
>>
>>61850441
>Literally the most directly influential band of all time

Yeah, they broke the ground for every other band that has come since that didn't have the skill to write their own music and had to steal their work from lesser known artists.
>>
>>61854180
>le white guilt meme :^)
>>
>>61854167
good band but definitely not very influential

or at least not very influential outside of their niche genre
>>
>>61854140
damn...
>>
>>61854239
I hear a lot of people say they invented long jam improvisations in a time when most songs were just 2 or 3 minutes long.
>>
>>61854293
I don't know if they invented it but they probably made it more popular than it ever would have been

Phish, Widespread Panic etc wouldn't be around if it weren't for the Dead but these aren't exactly household names
>>
Influencing other bands =/= influencing a genre

The Rolling Stones didn't changed rock - they influenced some people who kinda did it

Therefore TRS iz trash
>>
>>61850970
>hard rock
Reminder that the terms hard rock and heavy metal are actually not interchangable.
The only metal bands in that list are Metallica, Sabbath, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. The rest are hard rock. Stop diverting the conversation
So what if they influenced Sabbath? You said they influenced heavy metal as a genre, I said Sabbath influenced metal more than Zepellin, then you say that Zepellin influenced Sabbath. That doesn't mean they influenced metal directly, by that logic Chuck Berry was influential to the genre too.
>>
>>61845903
>Nirvana was influental but only in the 90's
>Dave Ghrol is great but not influential
>It depends on which member(s) of Metallica you are talking about
>>
>>61851237
John Frusciante, on the other hand...
>>
>>61854568
>Nirvana was influental but only in the 90's
plenty of bands nowadays are influenced by Nirvana
>>
>>61854553
I didn't say they were interchangeable. I said they influenced both hard rock & heavy metal.

Unlike Chuck Berry, Led Zeppelin DID actually influence a lot of metal bands i.e. Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest etc. Your logic is strawman
>>
>>61854568
James Hetfiel right hand made a whole generation of guitarist cry practicing their instrument. His fast and consistent riffing influenced A LOT of guitar player.
>>
>>61854726
Yes, but they only influenced a handful of metal bands that happened to be influential in their work too. They were not influential to the genre directly, only by extension. Therefore Chuck Berry would also work using the same logic.
>>
>>61855012
You really don't know much if you think LZ only influenced a handful of metal bands directly
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.