[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"When Smile came out, the entire summer was different. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: smile.png (600KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
smile.png
600KB, 600x600px
"When Smile came out, the entire summer was different. I could hear it ringing throughout every home and shop in town. Children danced to it, housewives cleaned to it, the teenagers raved about it. Even those pop fans who hadn't accepted the psychedelic transition jumped on Smile. I didn't meet a person who hated it, nor did I meet a person who downplayed its quality. Everyone was united in loving this record. In a way, Brian Wilson gave middle class America their own contained Summer of Love. It put a grin on everyone's face. Everyone who listened to it felt profound joy. It answered Sgt. Pepper's style with challenging substance, and for that summer of 1967, everyone was tuned in to what Brian had to say. It bridged pop and psychedelia like no other music of that era, and put the Beach Boys back in the spotlight of both mainstream success and artistic innovation. And I'm proud to say I was there for it."
>>
>>61842220
This is maybe a tad optimistic.
>>
>ywn see Based Brian Wilson close Monterey Pop with a zeitgeist-defining performance of Surf's Up
>>
top kek
>>
>>61843017
Brian hated performing live. It was a huge moment for him personally too and really helped him overcome a lot of his insecurities and accept that he'd surpassed Phil Spector .
>>
>>61843123
citation needed
>>
>>61843225
Which part do you want it for? The hates performing live thing or that he feels inferior to Spector?
>>
Now do Brian Wilson/Mike Love slash
>>
I don't think Smile would've made much of a splash, honestly. It had very little of the emotional resonance of Pet Sounds and its "psychedelia" is a bit too fragmented and goofy for the general public. Sgt Pepper by comparison was neatly packaged ready for consumption.

I think it was far more interesting that the Beach Boys released Smiley Smile and then Wild Honey. Plus, if Smile had been released, a lot of the mythos around the band would never have kept them going through the years.
>>
>ywn hear the divine white spiritual sound of Smile's ridiculously ambitious follow-up
>>
>>61843382
I bet they'd have just done the whole chill upbeat vaguely R&B stuff anyway. Perhaps with bigger arrangements, but Brian was spent without going the extra mile and finishing SMiLE. I doubt he'd have attempted anything nearly as ambitious.
>>
>>61843276
/thread
>>
>>61843442
Yeah I bet they would've played it fairly safe for the rest of the decade, then Brian would go full-out in the 70s.
>>
>>61843276
There'd have been no interest in the US but England and the rest of Europe would have gone crazy for it.
>>
>>61843276
Smile's commercial failure would have pushed Brian to suicide, ending the Beach Boys in their prime and preserving their legacy forever.
>>
>>61843600
>>61843276
plz no
This was a happy thread.
>>
>>61843276
yeah but what if at monterey pop they did this whole album performance live with the LA wrecking crew, and instead of a bunch of old people it was the boys themselves circa 1967?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbNwhm2EX8
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.