[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SONGWRITING HELP PIANO HELP CHORD HELP LYRICAL HELP Professional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14

File: new-piano-sales.jpg (28KB, 300x285px) Image search: [Google]
new-piano-sales.jpg
28KB, 300x285px
SONGWRITING HELP
PIANO HELP
CHORD HELP
LYRICAL HELP
Professional musician with Masters degree
Conservatory trained, currently teaching
BRING IT ON BITCHES
>>
write a good album then let me release it under my name
>>
how do i into melody
>>
Help me write song pl0x
>>
>>61829605
start with small sections
repeat in 3s
good luck
>>
>>61829679
what kind of help do you need?
what are you using?
what does your HEART need to SAY?
>>
>>61829582
here's a song I've been working on.
I have a really hard time creating half cadences.
https://soundcloud.com/steinwaymelodies/a-tribute-to-emerson

what do next?
>>
How do I go from writing really crappy, basic, and mostly unfinished songs to writing masterpieces in the shortest time possible?
>>
>>61829582
how do I make my chorder more interesting?

For example im working on something and the chord progression goes:
C#min G#min Amaj Emin
C#min G#min Amaj C#min
>>
>>61829705
the song is really pretty.
try some variation in your piano, move your right hand up an octave at some point.
you can also try modulating into a different key. sounds like you're in C, just move up to D for example.
Also how can you highlight things your are SAYING with what you are PLAYING?
How can you get teh music to describe and emphasize certain words / phrases in the text?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-14-20-08-31.png (358KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-14-20-08-31.png
358KB, 768x1280px
>>61829582
How do I develop cohesive melodies over chord progressions
>>
online degrees don't count
>>
>>61829733
first of all, learn how to play a song you think is a masterpiece. then copy it into a new song. use the same chord progression and put new lyrics on top of it. this is how we learn --- by copying what we love and putting our own creative twist on it.
also, regarding shortest time possible: write as many songs as you can as often as you can. you WILL get better with practice. and also - practice actually FINISHING songs!!
>>
whats the key to writing a good hook/melody?
any strong advice on lyrics?
how can i decide on how i want to sound like when every time i do, i just feel like im copying someone else
>>
>>61829886
How do I finish the ideas I already have that aren't directly copied from another song?
>>
>>61829810
Emin supposed to be Emaj. On my phone...
>>
im working on kapustin op 40 no 1 but can't figure out how the pedaling is supposed to work. halp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g024WrKqnso
>>
File: 026_Lucky_nerd.jpg (34KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
026_Lucky_nerd.jpg
34KB, 400x600px
>>61829810
Add some 7ths, like on repetitions make the Amaj into an Amaj7 or the Emin into an Emin7 or 9.

Also use different inversions of chords for variation.

Finally remember some chords can be subbed for others if they have 2 notes in common. For instance your Emin, you could use a Gmaj instead.
>>
>>61829680
can u explainmore?

Can u give some good general tips on writing lyrics and melodies????? I struggle
>>
File: 80tcXEZ.gif (1MB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
80tcXEZ.gif
1MB, 250x350px
>>61829860
SING them.
like a 5 year old kid sings.
just be free, and don't try to FIT it in.
the melody will fall into place
>>
>>61829921

Use repetition.
Vary the successive repeats slightly.

Paint a picture with the lyrics.
Describe the who, what, when, where, why, how with detail to place the listener there.

You have to copy others in order to find your own voice. Mark Ronson (and many others) built an entire career on this -- he copies other people's work he loves and puts his own style into it. Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3TF-hI7zKc
>>
File: bibber.jpg (71KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
bibber.jpg
71KB, 960x960px
>>61829927
Go ahead and copy!
Or, use this website -- developed by Brian Eno
http://www.oblicard.com/
>>
>>61829950
>im working on kapustin op 40 no 1
first of all this is such a beautiful work, isn't it?
secondly, aren't there pedal markings in your edition?
keep the pedal off for any obvious staccatto notes esp in left hand.
also can't you just copy marika?
>>
File: GREATlogo300kb.jpg (281KB, 1688x1752px) Image search: [Google]
GREATlogo300kb.jpg
281KB, 1688x1752px
>>61829596
i did write a good album. but you can't have it.
www.eddieeight.com
>>
>>61829986
please see
>>61830047
>>
>>61829997
>like a 5 year old kid
or a legendary jazz musician
>>
>>61829841
the whole object is to get the music to accurately describe how the words make one feel.
>>
How can I make reading music "click"? I've played guitar for several years so have a knowledge of scales and chords and stuff, but reading music for piano is killing me no matter how much I practice. I just end up memorizing the piece, which I know isn't ideal, and never make any progress with sight reading.
>>
what do you think of this track? its only thirty seconds
https://requiemforvenus.bandcamp.com/track/enter-the-desert
>>
File: BGq4U37987.jpg (57KB, 550x759px) Image search: [Google]
BGq4U37987.jpg
57KB, 550x759px
>>61830759
the ONLY way to practice reading music is to practice sight reading. Lots and lots of it. Get music that is below your level - like a progressive book that allows you to slowly develop sight reading over time. k
PRACTICE SIGHT READING!!!
>>
>>61830759
not op
but you must practice practice practice
I've been told cite reading gospel hymns is good for sight reading
>>
>>61830861
>https://requiemforvenus.bandcamp.com/track/enter-the-desert

dafuq did i just hear
WEIRD shit.
loveit
>>
How can I really easily/quickly learn how to do bar chords?
>>
>>61830924
thanks anon
>>
>>61830935
i am not a guitar player.
sorry
>>
http://requiemforvenus.bandcamp.com/album/city-in-the-sky
What should I add to this track? It was done on a piano but with a flute setting thingy
>>
>>61830935
Use your fingers
>>
>>61831094
what??
Is that actual advice or are you implying im just banging on the piano
>>
>>61830879
>>61830917
Thanks, I'll keep trying
>>
>>61831064
would love to hear the audible "Tape stops" @:48 just start a whole rhythmic section with lots of reverb. taking a "mistake" and turning it into an "intention" would really work here
>>
>>61831261
ok thanks
>>
>>61830213
not even on itunes
>>
File: funny-yearbook-photos-37.jpg (34KB, 500x514px) Image search: [Google]
funny-yearbook-photos-37.jpg
34KB, 500x514px
>>61831497
not even caring
>>
OP are you still here? If I uploaded a rough draft of my now 30 minute unfinished collection of 4 suites would you care to analyze it section by section and tell me what I could do better?
It would mean a great deal with me
>>
>>61831640
still here
that sounds like a lot of work
i'll listen to a little
>>
Is there any way to write a baroque style fugue without realizing your motive is all fucked up 20 measures into it

I've written 6 fugues that work, and scrapped about 15 because I find out the motive doesn't harmonize with itself upon its 3rd or 4th entrance. I want to cheat include a rest or something on the 4th iteration but I fear that will only end in more problems

What I need is a foolproof way to write a motive that doesn't clash with itself 4 iterations later
>>
File: skull.jpg (48KB, 236x240px) Image search: [Google]
skull.jpg
48KB, 236x240px
>>61832032
fugues don't have to be completely clones everytime they enter / repeat. just look at bach's well tempered klavier fugues. those things are SIMILAR not IDENTICAL when the themes come in. don't worry about it! add a rest! add a differnet note! and don't worry about weird harmonies! bach sure didn;.t

"CLASHING" is what fugue themes are SUPPOSED to do ---- it's the clashing that creates the tension. what you have to do is figure out how to RESOLVE the clashing!!!!
>>
File: sleep.jpg (182KB, 763x763px) Image search: [Google]
sleep.jpg
182KB, 763x763px
continue without me OP is going to bed
>>
>>61829582
i play the piano and im pretty good at the creative process, improvisation, just feeling the keys and playing chords/ octaves that sound good together

however, i have a friend studying music at university and he learns more technical/ music theory. this helps him know the names of all the chords; like diminished chords and jazz chords all that shit

ive studied music theory alot, i can play and name chords on guitar, but when it comes to piano i only know the basic chords
like F, G , C chords consisting of three notes or an octave

i also can only improvise and write melodies in the same key, like i dont know how to change from one key to another and so forth

like if i play in the key of c major, i only play all the white keys and dont know how to change keys

any help with different unique chords and their names? maybe a chart?

also with changing keys while improvising? a chart of the circle of fifths?

please help dude ive listened to you play, you're really good man you shred on piano
>>
>>61832032
link me!
>>
>>61829982
this is good information

great help thank you
>>
>>61832484
>>61829582

i also wanted to say when i listened to your soundcloud, you mentioned something of schizophrenia and writing songs in phases of mania

also you mentioned magic to some extent i believe

i thought this was interesting because i too feel magic, when i play guitar, i can have phases of mania and on guitar i feel magic
>>
>>61830213
I'm sorry but this really isn't even good. The songs sound really generic and very forgettable, there's nothing interesting going on in the songs. The mixing is horrible too.
>>
>>61832903

you are tripping like fuck listen to him play piano, its definitely a broadway showtune tone, with catchy lyrics and hooks

listen to "musick is magick" the tonal range, the transitions, and those piano licks are fire dude it sounds very good
>>
>>61832987
i mean listen to Minnesanger
>>
>>61830935
Do more barre chords and find the sweet spot on your finger where the fewest strings line up with the skin valleys under your finger joints.
Source: am guitar player that doesn't know what to call finger lines.
>>
>>61833220
thanks anon
>>
What are your tips on learning how to improvise over chord progressions?

What are your tips on learning to be proficient at learning songs by ear?
>>
>>61830935
use a guitar with less action (string tension) if you're really a noob and are just having problems holding all the notes down with one finger

also, if that's the case, the problem is more with your hands. you should take the time to just feel your guitar, not necessarily playing any notes, but just feeling and pressuring the strings on notes and holding bars etc.
bend the strings, play up and down finger to finger on one string

this is key to getting good at the guitar, muscle memory, and feeling your guitar and knowing what your hands want to do and teaching them to do other things

prime advice
>>
>>61829582
you cant teach imagination.
>>
>>61833304
thanks anon this helped a L O T
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.