[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not many people around here discuss these two AnCo albums. They

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: Danse-Hollinn.jpg (105KB, 472x236px) Image search: [Google]
Danse-Hollinn.jpg
105KB, 472x236px
Not many people around here discuss these two AnCo albums. They were kinda hard to get into but I really like them, how do you guys feel about them?
>>
literally awful
>>
Danse is shit
Hollindagain is good, almost as good as HCTI, defiently their most underrated work
>>
File: here comes the indian.jpg (623KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
here comes the indian.jpg
623KB, 1000x1000px
>>61829325
both really great, not as good as HCTI though
>>
Actually about to give these a listen for the first time; pretty hardcore AnCo/Panda fan and I think I've prepped my ears for these by now. Not expecting much but we'll see
>>
Danse Manatee has some great moments, but its production makes it irritating to listen to overall as an album.
>>
File: 71BiHznfAML._SL1440_.jpg (235KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
71BiHznfAML._SL1440_.jpg
235KB, 1440x1440px
>>61829393

HCTI is really good too, and it's another that's not talked about that often. Same with pic related. It kinda seems like most people only pay attention to Spirit and then from Sung Tongs on and gloss over these albums. It's really weird. Is it because they're less accessible? Hollinndagain, Danse, and HCTI are abrasive, but I feel like CS is p accessible.
>>
>>61829456
CS is a study/sleep album for me and nothing more, but it's actually really good when in those contexts. Definitely underrated
>>
>>61829440
Danse is good, it might take repeated listens though. Hollinndagain is really similar, but it's really cool because of how it works as a live album.
>>
>>61829456
It's because campfire is soft and short and stays in one sonic place for most of the album that it suffers. I love the Campfire but I think of it more as one long piece where albums like SJ and Sung Tongs have so much diversity that Campfire gets left out of album discussion.
>>
File: 1452863518941.jpg (44KB, 374x374px) Image search: [Google]
1452863518941.jpg
44KB, 374x374px
Danse is just a shittier, unrestrained version of STGSTV (which was a pretty off the rails album to begin with)

Hollinndagain i have no fucking clue
I like drone and this is just not enjoyable to listen to.

Here Comes The Indian is their best album from the 2000-2003 period, and one of their best works overall.

>Top Tier (9.5 - 10/10)
Strawberry Jam
Here Comes The Indian

>Great Tier (8 - 9/10)
Feels
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Fall Be Kind

>Good Tier (7 - 8/10)
Sung Tongs
Water Curses
Prospect Hummer

>Okay Tier (6 - 7/10)
Campfire Songs
Spirit They're Gone Spirit They've Vanished
People

>You Tried Tier (5 - 6/10)
Centipede Hz

>Uh Tier (the rest)
Danse Manatee
Hollinndagain

Maybe I just don't get Danse/Hollinnd yet.
>>
I have no idea how people can like HCTI and not like Danse and Hollinnd as well.
>>
>>61829592
>spirit
>ok tier
reconsider ur life
>>
>>61829630
it's overrated m80
>>
>>61829440
nah man neither come close to Centipede desu, you should just listen to HCTI instead bro
>>
>>61829440
A lot of people were upset at Danse, especially around the time it came out because a lot of people wanted a stylistic successor to Spirit, but Danse wasn't that. That said, the cool thing about Hollinndagain is that it feels like the successor to Danse. Have you listened to HCTI?

>>61829577
Yeah, I think you're right about that being a big reason as to why its not as discussed. Honestly though, it feeling like one large piece (because it was recorded as a single piece live) is part of the charm for me
>>
>>61829615
The ear rape on Danse was much worse IMO. Also didn't really seem as diverse as HCTI
>>
File: 1448957824906.gif (1023KB, 488x370px) Image search: [Google]
1448957824906.gif
1023KB, 488x370px
>>61829592
Ah looks like I have to pull it out again. When will people learn?

>Here's the objectively correct ranking you fucking retards.

>Painting With (prediction) > Centipede Hz > MPP > SJ > Sung Tongs > Feels > Spirit > Campfire Songs > HCTI > Danse
>>
>>61829325
>>61829393
HCTI>Holli>Danse.

It's just that you can see what they are trying to achieve in Danse, they improve upon it in Holli (seen in the way better version of Lablakely Dress), but finally HCTI just does it perfectly with the pop and experimental blending, plus it flows much better than the other albums.
>>
>>61829691
OP, agree with this. I also thinks that it helps that HCTI has all 4 members on it as opposed to Danse and Hollinndagain which only has 3.
>>
>>61829687
ur dumb

I dont even care about your taste, it's just you call it objective.

I guess I fell for the bait
>>
>>61829687
Here's my ranking

>Sung Tongs > Feels > MPP > SJ > HCTI > STGSTV > Danse > Hollinnd > CHz > Campfire Songs
>>
>>61829746
Can I ask why you rank Hollinndagain lower than Danse?
>>
>>61829716
Yes, the two guitars makes it a way more complete sonical wholeness to the record that isn't achieved. I mean the different textures created with Avey's guitar and the sweet melodies with Deak's Guitar.

Btw HCTI is my favorite album so i may be a little biased
>>
>>61829778
The opening trio of ISYP/PAF/FG is one of the best things they've done, but the rest of the album to me wasn't on par with Danse. The two are very close for me, though, they're almost tied
>>
>>61829325
Danse is fine. A couple of dull tracks but overall it's a decent listen. Not as good as Spirit or HCTI though.

Hollinndagain is okay I guess, I haven't really felt a desire to listen to it much.
>>
>>61829325
both trash
>>
>>61829807
I can completely understand why its your favorite, of all their noisy and abrasive ones, it's their most sonically whole and well rounded. It's cool to see the progression from Danse to HCTI.

>>61829815
I feel that, the first side of Hollinndagain (especially the first two tracks) are so good and it kinda tapers off afterwards.
>>
>>61829325
Danse: lazily made trash with only one or two good songs. Generic "lets take a lot of psychedelics and put everything in our song" album. This album is what happens when music is done in a minimalism format but nothing at all is ever moved or changed. Like the minimalism format was so pointless for this as all we got was boring repetition with no sense for trying to make things interesting.

Hollindagain: Similar thing but not as bad. The first track's pretty legit, showing that they learned from Danse that music that stays in the same place doing the same old thing with nothing interesting happening is well...boring and they kinda rectify it. Then the rest of the album happens where each track all of a sudden only has a few moments of being interesting and going places, then it's all the same shit from Danse.

>>61829393
Much better. They really took their lessons they learned from Danse and Hollindagain and created an album that wasn't boring. Granted that it kinda sucked that they stopped making music like this, thankfully Panda perfects this formula on Person Pitch which is honestly my favorite AnCo/related work period.

>>61829456
Campfire Songs was their first actual attempt at folky AnCo, no? I felt that the album was nice, but really they took their folky aspects to the next level in Sung Tongs and Prospect Hammer which are again, just more interesting versions of what was happening in Campfire Songs. Then that got taken to near perfection levels with Feels being their top folky style album.

To me, outside of Spirit which will always feel like an outlier when it comes to AnCo, what AnCo has done is like "okay we are gonna try out something new" and does it, and will give an okay effort that'll definitely have some good songs then some bad. But then from there they start to learn what works and doesn't and get constantly better.

Tribal AnCo: DM->Hollin->HCTI->Person Pitch

Folky AnCo: CS -> Young Prayer -> Sung Tongs -> Prospect Hammer -> Feels
>>
It actually wasn't that hard to get into for me, I just listened to it a few times and was like "dafuq" and then eventually it clicked. Hollindigain clicked almost immediatly, then HCTI quite a while after that (months not years) and then Danse Manatee a couple years after that.
They're all really good but Danse Manatee is less complicated and has less emotion to it. Like almost like they tried to not have a melody. It's kind of just sounds sometimes.
>>
>>61829943
Continuing:

Psych Pop AnCo: Strawberry Jam -> Water Curses -> MPP/Fall Be Kind

and in terms of them now:

Lets put everything together AnCo: Honeycomb/Gotham -> Centipede Hz -> Monkey Been to Burntown -> really hoping Painting With is the mastery of this thing that AnCo's going for
>>
>>61829943
never thought of it like that, although person pitch seems really different from those 3. Person Pitch feels more tropical than tribal.
>>
>>61830115
It's their approach to rhythms in those albums. People call it tribal rhythms.
>>
>>61829660
>Have you listened to HCTI?
Yeah but only once or twice; most of the tracks don't really do it for me. My favorite is Centipede Hz (le contrarian)
>>
STGSTV>Oddsac>HCTI>Prospect Hummer>Sung Tongs>MPP>Hollindigain<Campfire Songs (because Doggy is so 10/10)<Strawberry JamFeels>Centipede Hz>Fall Be Kind<Water Curses<People<Danse Manatee

Its hard to pick because theres a lot of albums and they're all way different and depend more on mood.
I genuinely think every AnCo album is a 9/10 at least but yeah and Danse Manatee is my least favorite but I still like it
>>
File: Here Comes the Indian.png (3MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Here Comes the Indian.png
3MB, 1000x1000px
For some reason I like the tribal element on HCTI, especially Panda's drumming and the yelling, but also very textured at the same time. It's one of my favorite albums to have sex to.
>>
>>61830160
Centipede is good, I think it's a little underrated, although I do think it's pretty front and back loaded, songs towards the middle tend to be a bit more eh for me. I'd give HCTI another chance after getting more acclimatized to their noisier stuff.
>>
Danae Manatee is tied with Sung Tongs for best AnCo album I'm not even trying to be a contrarian fuck that is my actual opinion
>>
>>61829325
danse has a few gems but overall it was just an experimental disaster

hollindagain is probably one of the greatest live pieces recorded in the 21st century
>>
>>61830145
I see what you mean. What do you think of MPP (tribal wise?)
>>
Danse to me felt really tryhard and lazy, as if they were being "experimental" for the sake of the experiment. Some songs are still fun though, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO2o9C0louU

Both Hooli and HCTI feel to noisy and dense for me, as if there is just too much space filled with sound, and I just don't like that. Funny enough, I think Centipede Hz suffers from the same problem, but those sounds are just more electronic.
>>
>>61830352
How do you feel about Campfire Songs? CS is similarly dense, instead its 3 acoustics guitar as opposed to noise or effects.
>>
>>61830300
Well, it depends on the song. A song like Mr Girls doesn't follow that style at all having entirely different rhythm parts for each section of the song (so like they got one pattern for the first part of the verse, another for the "I don't care for fancy things" part of the verse, another for the "I don't mean to seem like I care abotu material things" part.) But then you got something like Brother Sport that does exactly that minimalist tribal thing where it starts of with nothing, then over the course of the song rhythmwise stuff gets added or fades in and out. So yeah I guess it's nowhere near as central to the album as it is to their earlier stuff/Person Pitch, but its appearance is good to have since it makes the song structures more interesting.
>>
>>61830595
>Mr Girls
>>
>>61830638
Yeah, Mr Girls. You know, that really popular track offa Merriwhether Post Pavilion.

Nah though seriously idk how I got to Mr Girls instead of My Girls. Mu Girls or Mt Girls makes more sense I got off pretty wrong.
>>
File: 1453009389646.png (250KB, 626x629px) Image search: [Google]
1453009389646.png
250KB, 626x629px
>>61830638
>>
>>61830595
definitely I always loved the tribal elements in anco.
>>
>>61829440
This guy here. Just finished Danse. It's really not that bad, I mean it lacks real melodies and overall production is poor, but there were some creative effects and arrangements.

It's actually not as abrasive as I had imagined. Some of the tracks are pretty chill and I could see myself replaying them while I'm studying or something.

Would say that I prefer some of these tracks to a few weaker songs on STGSTV desu
>>
>>61831196
What do you consider the weaker songs on STGSTV?
>>
>>61831282
>Penny Dreadfuls
it's just a boring song imo
>Everyone Whistling
it's only a minute long and there are longer, more interesting songs on Danse
>Untitled
honestly more abrasive than anything on Danse
>>
>>61831317
>Penny Dreadfuls
def, only thing I like about that song is avey's singing near the end but then that zipper sound comes on.
>Everyone Whistling
I enjoy this song in the context as an intro to la rapet.
>Untitled
I don't see why people don't like it that much I enjoy it, it fits well within stgstv imo.
>>
>>61831196
>I mean it lacks real melodies
confirmed for not have listened to Danse
>>
>>61831454
On the same level as any highly praised album by them? Not at all.
>>
>>61829440
Aaand I finished Hollinn. Better than Danse in my opinion. The first four tracks are legit decent at least if you judge them as ambient/noise tracks.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.