[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

seriously, why dont anyone ever talk about Nadja on here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: cover.jpg (708KB, 947x945px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
708KB, 947x945px
seriously, why dont anyone ever talk about Nadja on here?
>>
Because we'd rather talk about ur mom.
>>
>>61822894
Radiance of Shadows gives me a massive headache

I love it
>>
File: cover.jpg (438KB, 1155x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
438KB, 1155x1200px
>>61822908
speaking of mom,, i listened to nadja once when i still lived at home
i played it on speakers
my mom got mad and yelled at me to turn of the noise
>>61822954
radiance is real nice. do you like any of their other albums? I've been digging their Vampilla collabs recently.
>>
>>61823006
Haven't checked out much of it besides radiance, queller and that one cover album even though I enjoyed all of those. I will check out the collab, anything else worthwhile?

Also is there anyone else who executes this style so well?
>>
>>61822894
cuz he/they have a ton of albums but like 3 are good
>>
File: cover.jpg (280KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
280KB, 945x945px
>>61823100
pic related is very good, collab with OvO whatever band that is..
Other good albums I like are Touched, Corrasion and Under the Jaguar Sun

Don't know too many artists like Nadja to be honest. If you haven't listened to Weighing Souls With Sand by The Angelic Process though, you should. They're similar-ish.. Same wall of sound feel.
>>
>>61823174
I will check out those albums thanks

Something about The Angelic Process just rubs me the wrong way, I can't explain it.
>>
>>61823248
i've heard that before, but the explantions then usually are about the vocals or the drums

whatever floats your boat anon, hope you like any of the other nadja ones

btw, what's your favourite cover song? I like needle in the hay
>>
>>61823303
Only Shallow because I'm a shoegazer at heart

Yeah TAP's sound just feels forced to me. Maybe I'm just not depressed enough to get it haha. Nadja sounds dark and wintery, but in a weirdly lively way.
>>
>>61822894
im SO fucking interested
>>
>>61823667
are you now
what would you like to talk about?
>>
>>61822894
People only talk about them in /shugazi/
>>
>>61823174
I play D&D with a dragonborn whose portrait looks enough like that album cover for me to wonder if he's a secret /mu/tant
>>
File: Thaumogenesis.jpg (319KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Thaumogenesis.jpg
319KB, 800x800px
>>61822894
thaumogenesis needs more recognition

if you're into the heavier parts of deathconsciousness you should give Nadja a shot
>>
>>61824181
the album cover is really pretty
i need to listen to it more, only heard it once or twice..

thanks anon for reminding me that album exists.
>>
>>61822894
I always end up listening to The Angelic Process after listening to Nadja for a bit.
>>
>>61825943
not op but they're my favorite band. have you heard the rest of their discog? it's not much and it tends to explore the industrial metal-y aspects of their sound a little more heavily than that album but it's all really good.
>>
>>61823006
>>61823100
>>61823174
Queller is one of my favourites but check out
Touched
Bliss Torn From Emptiness
Truth Becomes Death
Radiance Of Shadows
Thaumogenesis
Under The Jaguar Sun
Trembled

>>61823248
>>61823365
>Something about The Angelic Process just rubs me the wrong way, I can't explain it.
Really? I think Weighing Souls With Sand might be my favourite album ever. Tried listening to the earlier stuff? Solipsistic and ...And Our Blood Is Full Of Honey aren't nearly as suffocating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5mZ_Ii5sSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCQOKr72xRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNYamTHsHeE

>>61826144
>have you heard the rest of their discog
Yep. usually listen to something he put out almost every day now. I dug through archive records of his old website and found a studio report on Weighing Souls With Sand where he talks about each track if you want it?

The only track I haven't been able to find a good quality copy of is Blood Tastes Like Rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnylJ-ePguE
>>
>>61826245
>I dug through archive records of his old website and found a studio report on Weighing Souls With Sand where he talks about each track if you want it?
please, that sounds amazing.
>>
File: 4778_4556981973829.jpg (61KB, 800x343px) Image search: [Google]
4778_4556981973829.jpg
61KB, 800x343px
>>61826292
Will be in a few pieces so bear with me.

THE ANGELIC PROCESS
"There was a moment while working on our 3rd full length 'Weighing Souls With Sand' that I will never forget: I was looking at the big marker board we have in the studio that has all the songs titles and categories for guitar, bass, drums, vocals, atmospherics, etc [to show what has and hasn't been done] and I realized there were 15 songs and every category was checked. Another Angelic Process album was nearly complete."

Formed in 1999, and hailing from the Athens Georgia realm, the husband-and-wife duo of K.Angylus and MDragynfly have been known to create some of the most mesmerizing and moving music within the ambient drone-metal musical realm... Garnering already a huge response with the 2006 re-issue of "Coma Waering" [Paradigms Recordings], a recording that is actually four years old, The Angelic Process now deliver said album's follow-up, namely "Weighing Souls With Sand."

The Angelic Process Centering around a concept that continues the story begun with "Coma Waering", "Weighing Souls..." is the inevitable aftermath as the band explain:"'Coma Waering' is a concept record about a man falling into a coma and eventually dying.'Weighing Souls With Sand' is the follow up to that concept, this time about the man's wife trying to deal with his death and failing, eventually committing suicide."

Sound-wise picture the wall-of-sound through the fuzzy celestial grace of My Bloody Valentine, the tribal ritualistic pulsations of Neurosis, the emotional fervor and bloodletting of Swans, and the powerful grace of Jesu, and here you'll get a glimpse of what "Weighing Souls..." shall offer. And then some...

Roadburn Records is proud to present "Weighing Souls..." on vinyl [a limited edition up to 500 copies: 300 black, 100 yellow, 100 red].
>>
>>61826318
Words | K.Angylus

Following up a record as loved by our fans and widely acclaimed as 'Coma Waering' was never gonna be easy. Every time I start a new Angelic Process record I always wonder if the songs are going to be there this time. I think a lot of musicians go through that, but for me, it had been 4 years since I wrote 'Coma Waering.' The flood of reissues [Coma, our debut '...And Your Blood Is Full of Honey', and the 'Sigh' EP) at the beginning of 2006 garnered us a lot of buzz and it was clear people were wanting to see if we could top ourselves. MDragynfly had just joined the band [who is the perfect sounding board and an amazing musician] and we were finally able to play live, so pretty much everything had changed from when 'Coma' was written.

I think it was playing live that most influenced WSWS. With 'Coma', we had established our sound. Playing those songs live required use to alter some of the arrangements and strip the songs down. The new songs we were writing followed that line and had less repetition, more parts, and faster mouvement between those parts. We stripped away some of the ambient noise that 'Coma' used so heavily and increased the complexity of the melodies we wrote. But most of all, we were able to tighten up the arrangements by playing them live and seeing what worked and what didn't.
>>
>>61826343
Having our own studio is very important. While the initial arrangements are worked out beforehand, most of the texturing and ambient atmospherics have to be worked out while recording. We build our own FX pedals and modify our gear, so we have a large number of sounds and textures at our disposal. We very rarely use synths or electronics, preferring to use guitar, bass, drums, vocals, keeping everything as organic as possible.
We also master our albums to tape and not just in the computer. We use computers to sequence tracks, but everything is run back out onto tape. Maybe this is how we keep so much warmth in our sound. Another thing I would like to mention: all the drums are live, mic'd drums. A lot of people seem to think we use a drum machine, but we don't, not since our 2001 debut. I had a custom kit build before I started recording 'Coma', the toms are bigger than normal, so we get a deeper resonance and bigger sound. Same with the crash cymbals...we just like big, deep drums.

So, after 8 months of writing and recording, we had a finished album. A lot has already been written about the extremely personal nature of the concept that runs through both our 'Coma' and WSWS. I've decided not to address it here and talk more about how the songs came together and little stories that come to mind about them in this track by track account:
>>
>>61826355
The Angelic Process The Promise of Snakes
This was the last song written for the record and the only song where there was no bass on it until everything else [except vocals] was finished. M and I did the intro and the first two riffs and just continued to write new sections around permutations of those riffs.
After everything was written, I recorded all the drums and guitars in one day, then we didn't touch it for a while. We were at the point of having to many songs to fit on the record anyway, so including a 9+ minute song meant we would definitely have to cut a song or two that we already liked. So it remained unfinished, until one day M grabbed her bass, came in, and nailed a quick take of the whole song. We went driving around and listened to the vocal less version and it just crushed! So I went back in, hammered out the vocals, and ended up with my favorite song on the album.

Million Year Summer
After we restarted the band and had been playing live, we realized we didn't really have any songs that were just full blast from start to end. We have a ton of 7+ minute mini-epics that take you on a roller coaster ride, but nothing we could throw into a set to shake things up. It was the third song M and I wrote together and was put immediately into our live set. It has been played as either the first or second song at every show we've done since. At under 4 minutes, it's the shortest 'song' we've ever done and one of the best. It also sound great on just acoustic guitar...
>>
>>61826378
The Resonance of Goodbye
The second song M and I wrote together, 'The Resonance of Goodbye' is one of those songs where the title and music fit together perfectly. Such an incredibly emotional and just plain heavy song, we played it live for a while, but had to stop because of how difficult the vocals are to perform. For whatever reason, certain notes in it just shred my vocal cords. But I really love this song. The little shimmery melody that follows the bowed guitar in the intro, then leads to the feedback fade in of the massed guitars never fails to get me right in the gut. One of the most powerful songs we've written by far.

We All Die Laughing
One of our most popular songs and one that almost wasn't a song at all! We were in the middle of writing for the album and I had demoed the first 3 minutes or so and hated it. It just wasn't coming together at all for me, but I played it for M and she loved it and made me promise not to trash it.
The Angelic Process Everyday, she would come in and listen to that first 3 minutes and make notes about what could follow it. We then took those notes and continued to write until we reached the version that is on the record. Definitely a song that would not have been at all if M hadn't worked so hard to make it come together.
>>
>>61826392
Dying In A-Minor
The second to last song written for the record. By that point in the writing, we had established the concept for the album and had a basic running order, so we knew we needed a song to bridge the first half of the record to the second half. I had written the middle section in rehearsal one day and kept coming back to it. Something about the movement of the chords really struck me. M and I worked on it without drums, just guitar and bass, and wrote the end section. I then mixed some heavily filtered guitars with a washy synth for the intro.
When I put down the first layer of vocals, you could just hear the backing vocals in there, so I put those instead of layering guitar melodies like I did on most of the other songs. In the end, it's the least complex song on the album, but it's all the more powerful for that simplicity.

Weighing Souls With Sand
One of those songs that comes together quickly and is done. I did a lot of weird vocal layering on this one that most people don't pick up one. I really like the flow and forward momentum this song has. It really gives the album that push into the end. After about 2 weeks of talking it out, we decided this would be the album title. It just has that certain something. That right combination of words that envokes images and emotions, especially within the context of the album.
>>
>>61826408
Mouvement - World Deafening Eclipse
Since the flow of our albums is EXTREMELY important, we use shorter tracks to bridge the gap between certain songs. I knew in the beginning that I wanted to do this, but also wanted to make sure that listeners knew these weren't suppose to be viewed the same as the actual songs.
So, since I am a fan of classical music and the transitional structures we use are based off of the way classical music is sometimes arranged, I called these tracks "mouvements". We wrote several that didn't make it onto the record. Being bridge tracks, they have to be just right and really highlight the songs their between. It has some great flitered guitar atmospherics and nice chord changes in the middle. M really loves this one and we plan to play it live.

Burning In The Undertow of God
I love the dissonant notes during the first loud section and the ever shifting chord patterns throughout. The more open chord voicings allowed me to use a different approach to the vocals and use more circular guitar melodies underneath. We did a lot of guitar arranging in the studio, after the drums and some bass were tracked. A lot of little subtle things are going on in the guitars, lots of harmonic elements that create little melodic things that weren't intended, but sound great. As soon as we wrote it, we knew it would end the record. A great song, this was featured on Terrorizer Magazine's cover CD.
>>
>>61826428
Mouvement - The Smoke of Her Burning
This was actually written and recorded as the original ending to 'Burning In The Undertow of God', but we decided to split it into a separate mouvement to help give the album a more defined ending. In the original version, it was much longer and had a vocal section, but it seemed to slow the pace of the album down to much. When we cut out those sections and added the more ambient outro, everything just fell into place.

How To Build A Time Machine [Hidden Track]
We left tracks 10-16 blank to give a little separation between this song and the last mouvement. To me, this song feels like the summation of the record. It was originally intended to be somewhere in the middle of the album, but ultimately just sounded to out of place. But still, a great song that I am really proud of. It's always nice to include some kind of little hidden/bonus thing at the end of a record, but we wanted to make sure that the hidden track we chose wasn't just some throwaway track and still related to the record.
>>
>>61826450
That's the end, sorry about the wall of text.

I found a handful of old interviews while looking for some clues on how the albums sound was put together, but that's definitely the most interesting read.
>>
>>61826450
>>61826428
>>61826408
>>61826392
>>61826378
>>61826355
>>61826343
>>61826318
>>61826470
thank you so fucking much, this is really interesting. you're the best, man.
>>
>>61826489
>thank you so fucking much, this is really interesting. you're the best, man.
You're welcome. Here's the other three I found if you want further reading.

>http://www.mediafire.com/view/jbxkm601pcx4r8u/Interview_1.txt
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/hv4m3ejacbkihi8/Interview_2.txt
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/wi171d1i4fosoca/Interview_3.txt

I've still got to email a radio station that had an interview with M. Looks like they should have the recording in their archives still.
>>
>>61826597
I have all this in a text document for when I finish the spoken word album I'm listening to. I'm seriously so thankful that you posted this. if you do find the radio interview could you post it to /mu/? I'd be really interested in hearing that too.
>>
>>61826769
>if you do find the radio interview could you post it to /mu/? I'd be really interested in hearing that too.
I probably won't go out of my way, but if there's a thread about them and I see it, then yeah.

There's apparently an interview with Kris in Terrorizer Magazine #160 as well, so I may track down a copy and get some scans in the future as well.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.