[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the subgenres of classical music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: tru.png (47KB, 1205x531px) Image search: [Google]
tru.png
47KB, 1205x531px
What are the subgenres of classical music?
>>
Metal
Progressive Metal
Symphonic Metal
>>
"Classical music" is not a genre, but if you want to break it down it is most usually broken down into periods, these being

Medieval
Renaissance
Baroque
Classical
Romantic
"Modern"
>>
>>61812319
No.
>>61812244
Classical music genres are based on the idiom pieces were written for:

Opera
Symphony
String Quartet
Lied

Etc.

The problem is that oftentimes there isn't a huge different between the composition in a string quartet and a symphony other than the instrumentation, so it's a lot easier to lump it all under classical music.
>>
>>61812319
This is the correct answer to a goofy question
>>
Choral
Opera
Ballet
Orchestral
Chamber
Solo
>>
File: gokego.jpg (8KB, 192x262px) Image search: [Google]
gokego.jpg
8KB, 192x262px
>>61812244
Baroque and Roll
>>
>>61812319
Period=/=genre in art music any more than it does in popular music.
>>
>>61812276
Kek

>>61812319
This
>>
>>61812428
I didn't say they were genres, in fact I went out of my way to say that they were not.

Come on.
>>
>>61812244
>noise isn't even music
That's correct though
>>
File: feta-cheese.jpg (723KB, 1797x1072px) Image search: [Google]
feta-cheese.jpg
723KB, 1797x1072px
>>61812244
>Feta Kuti
>>
>>61812449
You presented it as if you were answering op's question though.
I could have listed the names of composers and said they weren't genres either but it'd still have been irrelevant to the thread.
>>
Genres are a marketing ploy in popular music and they are shown up even more for the myth they are when you attempt to apply them to classical.
>>
>>61812345
please fuck off.
a symphony from handel is completely different to a symphony from mahler, and can not be classified as the same genre when the entire instrumentation and aesthetic of music was completely different.
>>
>>61812244
Anything you like as a genre is merely a way of categorizing items with similarities.
>>
File: 6.jpg (27KB, 403x262px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
27KB, 403x262px
>>61812567
>a symphony from handel
How interesting I didn't know Handel's 0th Symphony subtitled "He never wrote any you fucking retard"

Don't talk about things you don't understand.
>>
>>61812597
Way to miss the point
>>
>>61812615
I didn't miss the point that you have no idea about anything classical music.

Unless you did study somewhere? Somewhere that has a fucking symphony by Handel in its score library?

Fuck off, kid.
>>
>>61812244
Genre:

"a class or category of artistic endeavor having a particular form, content, technique, or the like."

so you could classify classical in a few ways, by period like >>61812319 or by aesthetic, or by techniques and goal.

Grouping them by form like >>61812345 is wrong. Form is like structure in popular music. You dont group all the songs with intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-b section-chorus structure into the same "genre", the same way you dont group all pieces in sonata form into the same genre.

The structure or instrumentation of a piece isn't the defining factor, its the music itself.

There are probably 20 odd different genres in each period mentioned in >>61812319.
Art music is widely varied, the most varied of any kind of music under one loose label. Genres are very specific to a period and an aesthetic, so you'd need to make a list for each period.

Something like

RENAISSANCE PERIOD:

A CAPELLA VOCAL MUSIC:
>Renaissance Mass
>Renaissance Motet
>Renaissance Madrigal
>Renaissance Cantus firmus mass
>Renaissance Cantus firmus/imitation mass
>Renaissance Paraphrase mass
>Renaissance Imitation mass
>Renaissance Madrigale spirituale
>Renaissance Laude.

INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC:
Toccata, prelude, ricercar, and canzona. Dances played by Instrumental ensembles included the basse danse (It. bassadanza), tourdion, saltarello, pavane, galliard, allemande, courante, bransle, canarie, and lavolta.

LATE DEVELOPMENTS:
>Madrigal comedy
>Intermedio

Then go on to the baroque period and continue until every genre is mapped out for each period. Its 500+ years of music from the entire western world, dont expect it to fit neatly in boxes. There are many more renaissance genres, and pieces that dont fit in any genre, or cross the borders.
>>
What about impressionism, minimalism, etc.?
>>
>>61812822
They fit in modern if we're talking periods
>>
>>61812810
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_forms_by_era
>>
>>61812822
20th CENTURY GENRES:
>Modernism
>Nationalism
>Serialism
>Minimalism
>Impressionism
>Sonorism
>New Complexity
>Spectralism
>Second Viennese School
>Darmstadt School
>NYC Uptown School
>NYC Downtown School (also some minimalists here)
>Post Tonal
>Bimodal / Folk influenced (read: Bartok, Stravinsky et al)
>New Simplicity (Prokofiev and everyone who wrote tonal music in their own way)
>Polystylism
>Microtonal
>Neoclassicism
>Experimental music/Post Modernism (Cage School indeterminacy)
>Electronic music (Stockhausen and Babbit pieces for synthesizer, Xenakis, etc)
>Musique Concrete
>Atonal music
>Historicism
>Neoromanticism
>Post-Minimalism.

Thats just a rough list, there are many more, and many piece which dont fit in a specific genre or use multiple genres, including all the genres from previous periods.
>>
>>61812870
Form only indicates the outline of the piece, like the structure of a song.

A Sonata means you have 2 subjects that each have their own sections and keys. It doesn't actually imply anything about the music.

Each of those forms would have their own genres within, or many of those forms could be written in the same genre.
>>
>>61812946
>Atonal music
Is that not just a property of the music as opposed to a genre in itself?
>>
>>61812690
haydn is what i meant.
still, please continue to dodge the statement you retard.
>>
>>61812345
>>61812984
This guy seems to know what he's talking about
>>
>>61812244
Sad but true image.
>>
>>61812319
>>61812345
>>61812356
>>61812810
>>61812946
>entire history of art music in the whole world
>hurr classical music = western tradition only
>>
>>61812427
>fag pronounces it "ber-rock"
>Not the proper way "bar-roke"
>>
>>61812345
Classical is divided into time periods you unbelievably moronic shitposter
>>
>>61812244
kek.

>>61812345
More or less.

>>61812810
Most on point.

But again, classical music is so varied that its almost unintelligible to categorize it in a meaningful way.

Symphonies in mozart's time had strict form and relatively predictable orchestration, harmonies, and cycles of development, etc. By the time of people like Mahler, Part, or Webern the ideas of what makes a symphony a symphony were broken down a lot more.

I think the best way to categorize things is generally by period and mode of expression.
>Choral
>Vocal
>Instrumental
>Orchestral
>Opera
>etc

Either way, its a futile search. The best way to get into classical is to start with the great and just branch your way out by whatever you enjoy the sound of. There's practically no guarantee that you'll enjoy any given quartet just because you liked one in particular. But if you know that you enjoy impressionistic piano sonatas, its a lot easier to determine what you may like from then on.
>>
>>61812244
>The best way to get into classical is to start with the great and just branch your way out by whatever you enjoy the sound of.

I think a huge problem is without breaking it up, people see classical as daunting af
>>
>>61815711
That is actually what people think. They try to make like they're open minded and that the people only listening to rock music aren't but they ignore every other tradition in the world, saying that it isn't art music.
>>
Chamber music is my favorite right now, especially string quartet. Might be because I'm used to the "four people playing music together" setting, but orchestral works usually seem excessive, and smaller solo/ensemble stuff doesn't sound as full. Not a fan of choral music/opera.
>>
>>61816184
I thought his point was they missed Asian classical.
>>
>>61815867
Never heard anyone pronounce it ber-rock in my life
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.