[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Listening habits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Merriweather Post Pavilion.jpg (123KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Merriweather Post Pavilion.jpg
123KB, 450x450px
How often do you guys listen to a new album,
how do you get into an artist
how do you get into a genre
how many albums a day
how do you rate

Stuff like that. Pic unrelated.
>>
I try to listen to at least one new album a day....
I'll listen to some singles and then start at the beginning of their discography
Genres are stupid
>>
File: tumblr_mttaezRQxA1sogvclo1_500.jpg (63KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mttaezRQxA1sogvclo1_500.jpg
63KB, 500x447px
>How often do you guys listen to a new album
Maybe 3-5 albums a week. I know it's not much but hey, I have other things to do.
>how do you get into an artist
Someone recommends me one in a chart thread. Or a read about an artist I like on wikipedia and find out about another artist that was in a similar genre or scene, or was an influence. Or I just buy an album that has a cool cover.
>how do you get into a genre
see above
>how many albums a day
I try to do one a day
>how do you rate
I dunno but I think numerical ratings are stupid outside of giving a rough idea of how much I liked it.
>>
>>61811381
>one new album a day
I've tried doing this. It gets pretty grating. I need to give myself a chance to enjoy albums I already like, if that makes sense. When I do find a new album I enjoy, I keep listening to it non stop.

IE Vince Staples "Summertime 06". One I got hooked on that it was on repeat every day for weeks.
>>
>>61811381
For a while I listened to a new album everyday, but nowadays I try to be more thorough. I try to listen to an album multiple times. I found that when I listened an album only once I would just kinda forget about afterwards.
>>
>>61811446
Whenever I feel like it. I don't set dates or days.
By listening to them a lot. Getting into one of their albums and progressively going through their discography.
Just happens I guess.
>how many albums a day
I don't schedule new album listens
>how do you rate
I don't rate. I can't stand rate threads on /mu/. I don't scale any albums I enjoy, even if it's flawed I'm still going to enjoy it for what it is. I feel like putting a rating on any music I enjoy ruins the experience of the music by putting some arbitrary numbers attached to it.
>>
>>61811450
Pretty much what I was saying here.
>>61811406
I really have to listen to an album multiple times to really absorb everything about the album. To actually get to know it. Listening to an album once does nothing to me musically.
>>
>>61811479
I've got albums that I've listened to hundreds of times over that I can still find something new in.
>>
I listen to a new album once a day, but I'll keep listening to it, I need a good four or five listens to really connect with the album
>>
>>61811314

Whenever I feel like it, I don't set any quotas otherwise Itll just feel like a chore and I won't be able to truly enjoy the music lmao

usually a friend recommends me something or I decide to finally check out an artist that I hear a lot about on here or wherever, and then I'll check out their most popular song or album on Spotify or YouTube to see if I like it at all and then if I like it I'll download it and see where I go from there. For me it's a really long process, I got into most of my favourite bands over the course of a year or so

>2016
>mentally categorising music by genre

>how many albums a day

Yikes. Depends on how I'm feeling, maybe 3 if I'm lucky? I listen to music in mix playlists a lot because whole albums can be a bit exhausting if they're playing in the background of daily activities

>how do you rate

Rating systems are for autists. All the music I listen to, I listen to for a different purpose and I like it for different reasons to the next album. I don't see the point of rating t b h f a m. If something is in my library that means I like it. How much I like it is irrelevant to me
>>
>>61811501
Same man. This might seem like a bad example because it's considered a "meme" on here, but every time I listen to MBDTF by Kanye West I always find something new. I've listened to it probably nearly 200 times as well.
>>
I have a playlist with anywhere between like 1 and 7 albums that I listen to on repeat for a week or two, swapping out albums whenever I feel like it. Usually in this playlist I've got like 1 or 2 albums i'm getting into, but sometimes (if a lot of bands I like put something out at the same time) the playlist can be full of new things.
>>
>>61811314
I try to listen to a few every day and if i like it i will revisit them, i may check out music while doing other things just to let it seep into my mind before taking a more involved listen
Listening to them
Listening to it
>how many albums a day
How much i want to
>how do you rate
Based on enjoyment, through i have to give it a lot of listens to give a definite score.
>>
>>61811539
>Rating systems are for autists. All the music I listen to, I listen to for a different purpose and I like it for different reasons to the next album. I don't see the point of rating t b h f a m. If something is in my library that means I like it. How much I like it is irrelevant to me
Why are there not more people like you around. There are hundreds of rate threads all the time that get absolutely packed with replies and posts. Sure a critics review might give some meaning and context as to whether an album is good or not, but personally rating all of your favourite artists into a box ruins the experience.
>>
>>61811673
: ' - ) I thought I was going to cop hate for that post. at least someone gets it
>>
>>61811708
I wrote the same thing in my post man. I hate rating music. I listen to it because I like it. I don't put it on some pointless rating scale system.
>>61811463
>>
>>61811725
Sorry fàm I didn't read the whole thread
>>
>>61811745
Don't apologise friend. I was just stating. I'm not mad.
>>
I generally listen to three or so new albums a day. If I really enjoyed the album, I'll go back and listen. Otherwise, I have so much music that I don't want to waste my time with the not necessarily bad, just sub par stuff. I rate on my first impression, and if I care enough about it, I'll keep listening and maybe rerate it if I change my mind
>>
>I'll listen to a few new albums each day, I still have a backlog of hundreds of albums I have yet to listen to

>By seeing them on /mu/, Bandcamp, or YouTube

>I use a three strikes kind of method. I stumble across a song/album I like of a certain genre I'm not particularly into 3 times, I'll start diving deeper into the genre

>I'd say 15-20 a day. I'll click an album and let it play on shuffle for a little bit until I get bored and then I'll click a new album.
>>
>>61811314
>How often do you guys listen to a new album,
I try listening to one or two a week and I'll give the new ones a few listens before I get another one.
If their discog is small, from the beginning. If they have a big discog, the most acclaimed first and if I really love them, I'll go chronologically from the beginning.
Surely that's just a matter of listening to albums from that genre and enjoying them? I don't think I actively set out to "get into" a genres. I'm not entirely sure what that means desu.
>how many albums a day
Varies wildly. I'm listening to a lot cause I'm on break from college but I don't tend to keep track. More than 5 and less than 15 would be a rough approximation I guess.
>how do you rate
I don't.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>61811314
probably one album a week on average. i'll be checking out some type of music so i'll look into other artists of said genre. look who they play with live, look who else is on label etc. then i move onto something else that catches my attention for some unknown reason and repeat.

i rarely listen to whole discographies. i'll download them if i really liked an album but i just find the first album i hear of a band defines that bands sound. so unless some album is vastly better than another, i'll usually say 2nd album is like a more/less [defining characteristic] version of 1st album.

i will go away from styles or bands and come back to it later.

i also listen to asmr youtube clips regularly. i don't know how it became a thing for me and is currently the biggest shame in my life
>>
>>61811673
I don't really rate music for myself, I rate it for other people
I know I like the music I like I don't need to put a number on it to remember, but if I think something is really good and I think others should listen to it I'll rate it highly in one of those threads or on RYM or something just because it might cause someone else to enjoy it too
idk
>>
I try to listen to one a day but I feel like I never listen to an album enough that way :/
If I want to get into an artist I'll look up their highest rated album or the one with the nicest album art and go from there
If I wanted to get into a genre I'd probably ask /mu/ or maybe I'd just start with the album that interested me in listening to that genre
lotsa albums a day B^U
I don't rate because I don't value my opinion enough
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.