[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outsider Music - how do i into?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: dan_johnston.jpg (108KB, 468x620px) Image search: [Google]
dan_johnston.jpg
108KB, 468x620px
Simple question: How the fuck does one discover new outsider music artists, when these are artists who fundamentally exist outside of the mainstream music scene?

Obviously there's the Wikipedia page to get someone started, but that can only take you so far. One of the defining elements of outsider music is precisely that it is "outside" and exclusionary, so from the outset anyone who is looking to catalog the weirdest arranged sounds that have been recorded already is facing a very difficult challenge. For some reason I decided to try to take this challenge and not only get into the classics of outsider music, but to actually "discover" obscure shit from the darkest corners of the music world.

Are there any people on here who have advice for finding outsider stuff, or is my only hope to slog through tons of unrelated shit on Google or the archives in the hopes of finding a handful of gems?
>>
new release list in alphabetical order

literally everything else is false
>>
>>61809474
Get yourself sent to a psyche ward, network with all the patients, soon you'll discover true underground music
>>
>>61809483
*which yes basically amounts to
>slog through tons of unrelated shit
>>
>>61809483
If it'd be on a new releases list, it's probably on a record label of some sort, and if that's the case I doubt it's very outsider-y.
>>
>>61809703
https://ehserecords.bandcamp.com/album/bobby-donnie-plays-the-bobby-donnie-songs

but then you can also just search bandcamps that dont even have a physical release and so usually no label.
>>
>>61809719
Oh, yeah, that's true. That still sounds fucking awful but I guess it'd be a start.
>>
These days it's actually possible to find these people from Youtube or Bandcamp. Before the Internet it was much more difficult.
>>
>>61809742
It'd definitely require a lot more physical legwork that a shut-in like myself would rather not have to deal with, but it's also a double-edged sword. The internet has so much shit out there that it becomes a test of endurance wading through everything to find what you're looking for.
>>
This chart here should help you get into some more outsider music: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/KeepPunchin/the_curious_universe_of_outsider_and_incorrect_music/
>>
>>61809814
Damn, thanks m8. That's actually pretty helpful.

>>61809495
One healthcare facility isn't enough. I should just start touring around the state to try to find mental patients who make music.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.