[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm the Pixies guy. Yes it's me. Anything Pixies related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: 13_pixies.jpg (33KB, 460x371px) Image search: [Google]
13_pixies.jpg
33KB, 460x371px
I'm the Pixies guy. Yes it's me. Anything Pixies related on 4chan you've seen lately is my doing. I am literally obsessed with this band once again. Any praises, any criticisms are welcome in this thread. Also any thing they inspired or were inspired by...I've just got the Pixies love bug right now so fire away
>>
H E Y
E
Y
>>
File: brothermanbill.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
brothermanbill.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
brotherman bill was inspired by the pixies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkUVToIfrKg
>>
>>61809487
Been tryiin...to Meet you..mmhmmhm..
>>
File: Band Nirvana.jpg (187KB, 640x612px) Image search: [Google]
Band Nirvana.jpg
187KB, 640x612px
>>61809473
>Also anything they inspired

>"We thought we were only going to be as big as the Pixies"

Opinion on this band?
>>
how do you handle the fact that black francis is a hack artist?
>>
>>61809509
I was very young the last time I heard rhis song. Now that I'm older the Pixies influence is extremely obvious. It's a great song though
>>
>>61809473
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te2-zTHSzCk

How do you feel about this cover?
>>
>>61809567
I am a very big fan. Mostly because Kurt had a lot of respect for his predecessors and knew what he was trying to accomplish. Obviously Nirvana wasn't groundbreaking in any way but they were still a very good band
>>
>>61809592
I give it a 510. Any cover of the pixies sucks the essence out of the song and all origionality. If you've listened to the origional version of that song you know what I mean
>>
>>61809659
*5/10*
>>
>>61809659
I mean, I have listened to the original version. I was just curious what you thought of it.

I prefer it over their version, but that's just me.
>>
>>61809581
How do you handle the fact rhat you're a troll that can't appreciate art?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsXe1E7gfNE
>>
>>61809679
To each their own I guess. I just honestly don't see how you could like Bowies version more
>>
File: 10589.jpg (296KB, 901x900px) Image search: [Google]
10589.jpg
296KB, 901x900px
>>61809619
They weren't groundbreaking but are probably the most influential band of our lifetime. What's your opinion on the album pictured compared to their more popular work?
>>
>>61809711
Honestly it's probably just the preference of vocal. I like Black Francis, but on certain songs, Cactus included, I wish there were more power there.

Also the guitars are more prominent, which I like. I love them both though.
>>
>>61809726
Before I answer your question let me be high and mighty for a second...The pixies are the most influential band of our lifetime, they just don't get all the praise they deserve because they were so ahead of their time and a bit quirky,
Bleach was decent but was ultimately just a warm up to the heights Nirvana reached before...you know...the thing happened
>>
>>61809789
>The pixies are the most influential band of our lifetime
Citation needed.

Honestly it's very debatable. Nirvana are probably more influential simply because of Nevermind's ridiculous reach.

Other bands of our lifetime worth considering include, Radiohead, Coldplay, Arcade Fire, and Daft Punk.

I'm not saying they're the greatest, but listening to pop music today, their influence is felt more than the Pixies, in my opinion.
>>
>>61809873
I hear ya brotha. But the Pixies are the spark that started the fire. That's more influential and important than anything in mu opinion. Without the Pixies there would be no Nirvana. You know it's true
>>
>>61809789
The Pixies may be the most influential band of our lifetime to you. They are not to me. When I say "most influential" I mean in general, to the majority. I like the Pixies but just because I do does not change fact. They are not directly the most influential band of our lifetime. They influenced bands such as Nirvana that influenced the majority of people. You can count that as most influential but that's a hell of a stretch. Plus I think Nirvana had stronger influence on their music from the 1980s hardcore punk scene.
>>
>>61809937
Of course, but if I had to say what band is felt the most in music today, they wouldn't be my first pick.

Plus that's a slippery slope. If Nirvana is the most influential, but the Pixies influenced them, then who influenced the Pixies? Know what I mean?

I adore the Pixies though. I wish more music would take after what they did.
>>
>>61809963
Their biggest hit is their best Pixies impression, this coming from a guy that likes Nirvana.
>>
>>61809977
The closest successor to Pixies I've found is Modest Mouse.
>>
>>61809980
But does everyone who has heard their biggest hit know that it is a Pixies impression?
>>
DUDE WHERE IS MY MIND LMAO
>>
>>61809994
Yeah, I agree with that.

Less so with their modern sound though.
>>
>>61809963
Well I agree to disagree with no hard feelings. Honestly, the Pixies do exist in a bit of a vacuum. It's hard to trace their influence because of how unique and different sounding they were. The only people who will ever know are the bands that lifted a trick or two off of them. But Im glad no band has been able to steal their sound, because they're a one of a kind origional
>>
File: 20160117_022919.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160117_022919.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
just picked this up at my local record store today, i'd never seen it before i was super stoked to find it! haven't had a chance to watch it yet, have any of you?

>>61809592
wasn't a huge fan of this, i feel like cactus is a pretty mediocre song from a songwriting perspective but frank's delivery of the lyrics really make it. i love bowie but i feel like his take on the song takes away the only real value of it imo, its just kind of boring now
>>
>>61810007
They don't have to, it was Pixies that gave Kurt the sound that reached millions. Whether or not everyone knows where he ripped it off from is irrelevant.

If the majority of people don't know that Kurosawa's Ran was based off King Lear, that doesn't make King Lear, or Shakespeare in general, less of an influence on him, and therefore future storytellers that emulated him.
>>
>>61810021
Definitely, I think they took the Pixies aesthetic pretty damn far on their best releases though, especially Lonesome Crowded West.
>>
>>61810051
Kim Deal's sexy backing vocals is what lifts the song ultimately :D
>>
>>61810080
In her prime I'm convinced she was the sexiest woman alive, barring Bjork.
>>
>>61810041
>>61810054
I am also glad no band has stolen their sound. But wait, if Nirvana "ripped it off" wouldn't that mean they had to have stolen their sound?
>>
>>61810106
They kind of did, really. Not that it bothers me much, Kurt had an ear for killer vocal melodies, and an ability, much like Frank Black, to make nonsense the catchiest shit you ever did hear.
>>
>>61810106
I'm this>>61810041 poster. Like I said bands lifted a trick or two off of them but there's no way to steal the sound or atmosphere they created. They will always be a one of a kind origionak
>>
File: download (18).jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (18).jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>61810100
She was the best
>>
>>61810139
>>61810141
True. To be honest I only brought up Nirvana because I knew people would find a way to get triggered or at least disagree. I like the hear everyone's opinion on everything.
>>
>>61809473
STOP
>>
>>61810183
I was pretty much trigfered desu. It's a fine line between my love for the Pixies and my like for Nirvana, and I know what side I'm on.
>>
>>61810206
Why? Do you at least have some constructive criticism?
>>
Also they were an amazing live band, Check out this performance

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6oUhsySBt7Q
>>
>>61810275
it's a meme you dip
>>
>>61809994

Brand New
>>
>>61809977
Op here again
You're right it is a slippery slope, but I don't mind too much going down that slope. I would say Husker Du is probably the biggest influence on the Pixies. Musically, but mostly just the avenues that they opened up by mixing agressive punk energy with extremely poppy melodies and unique chord structures. Like you said it's a slippery slope, but I think Husker Du may be the genesis of what we call "alternative rock"
>>
>>61809789
i'd say it's R.E.M....
>>
>>61812547
I was going to mention them too, but I honestly feel like Husker Du gets overlooked way too often and REM has gotten enough credit already. I think Husker Du shines through the pixies more anyways with the power/agression both put out
>>
Buy me a soda?
>>
>>61812867
Only if you don't try to molest me in the parking lot (yep yep yep yep)
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.