[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>illiterate plebs think saying "i need a thesaurus to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: tmp_16162-300x300-158132248.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_16162-300x300-158132248.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>illiterate plebs think saying "i need a thesaurus to listen to aesop rock xD" is legitimate criticism

??
>>
>>61800889
what are you saying
>>
>>61800889
Yeah I love how people try and decipher it all like there's a fixed meaning. It's all about the impression it leaves on you

This is his best song imo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6_4LNZPDo
>>
Aesop Rock really isn't that deep. His lyrics are mostly non sequitur, with random 'epic' imagery, and cultural references that he intentionally obfuscates for the sake of obfuscation.

Here, I can do it too:

mythologic sick wisdom spit by angels with a penchant for absinthe
alcoholic demons disseminate semen during the apocalypse
metaphysic calypso, ipso facto is so in tune with the harps of heaven, mark me brethren
and sisters of the second coming rummaging through their history like ogres through layered onions
a small child breathes its first breath through the last trumpet
the winged ones plummet from the holy summit empty-handed
while an entry-level handyman wrenches closed the pipes in the Mayan Andes land in candyland
gingerbread stick-bone stone-breaker
a mouth of rubies made liquid like sanguine punches to the throat of soul
overthrow the old ones so the new can flourish on the porridge of gold

#wow #theselyrics #actuallymeansomething
>>
>>61801330
I think the obfuscation is forgiveable because his word choices tend to make his lines flow really well. They sound a lot nicer than a lot of other rappers
>>
>>61801330

That has no flow though, and he doesn't really make pop culture references from what I've heard. Lots of typical arch typal imagery, which fits his name- Aesop Rock. Your complaint of 'i can do it so it's too gimmicky' is kinda lame, when his name pretty much tells you what you're gonna get. That's like buying cereal and getting pissed there's no steak in the box.
>>
>>61800889
Why would you need a thesaurus to look up the definition of words? You want a dictionary.
>>
I agree that he's not as deep as people say he is but he's still pretty fun to listen to.
>>
>>61801716

I've literally never heard anyone argue that he was deep. It's always somebody complaining about how he secretly isn't deep at all. I never really thought it was a secret.

He wrote a rap about not wanting to eat his veggies.
>>
>>61801330
Confirmed for not being able to read
plenty of his songs are narrative driven
>>
>>61801521

>That has no flow though

That's entirely dependent on how you say it, what cadences and stresses and pauses you choose to use

>pop culture

He does make some, but that's also not what I said. I said cultural references. This can include anything from history, art, religion, whatever. Culture is a term that is inclusive of most human activity.

>Your complain of 'i can do it so it's too gimmicky' is kinda lame

That's a fair point. I suppose on this front I'm guilty of the same sort of blase criticism that modern art receives 'anybody could do that' etc.

So, I take your point in that regard.

>That's like buying cereal and getting pissed there's no steak in the box.

That's fair in some respect too, but it's annoying when scores of people eat cereal and then talk about how it was the most subtle, refined fois gras they've ever consumed--which is how a lot of Aesop fans come off to me.

That being said, I think there is a point where you can criticize art for its ambitions, even if it fulfills those ambitions. I've been listening to hip-hop for a long ass time and Aesop Rock since I was in my teens. I quickly got bored because despite his '2deep4u' lyrical style, his music all started sounding exactly the same to me after a while. He feels stagnant to me, but perhaps I'm not as acquainted with his catalog as I once was.

Is there anything where he has pushed beyond just burying his references, opinions, and ideas behind intentionally baroque and obfuscatory parlor-tricks?
>>
>>61801794
is obscured meaning automatically bad for you?
If so then our view cannot be reconciled, but if not could you help me understand what you find appropriate?
>>
>>61801521
A (good) rapper can flow with anything, that's like half of what makes them talented.
>>
>>61801869

No, I don't think obscurity is inherently bad. Some things are just obscure. For example, if I talk in detail about a topic that not many people know about, then I will inevitably use obscure language and jargon. By definition, not many people are aware of the topic, and thus they will also probably not be aware of the specific terminology used within and about that topic. Fine.

That's a bit different than doing something like unironically calling a toothbrush a poly-plastic oral-calcium-deposit polisher. Not that Aesop has done that, specifically, but I am attempting to illustrate the difference between something that happens to be obscure, and something that you try to make obscure for the sake of obscurity.
>>
>>61801756
This. He's not trying to be deep.
>>
>>61801981
we p much agree then
I just like his ''epic' imagery'
>>
>>61801330
no one thinks he's deep oh my fucking god
>>
>>61801015
>Yeah I love how people try and decipher it all like there's a fixed meaning. It's all about the impression it leaves on you
I honestly love this post
thanks for not being a /mu/ pleb
>>
>>61800889

Aesop Rock is like rap games Dream Theater; shit music for 15 year old mall goths that think they're intelligent.
>>
>>61802446
you are literally so fucking intimidated by long words and it's hilarious

I like Aesop Rock because he's a good rapper, he doesn't come across as intelligent and he certainly doesn't require intelligence to enjoy
>>
Aesop rock (and rob sonic annd dj big wiz) told me about mary mallon before i knew what she did, and looking at their are you gonna eat that album after was a funny little moment in my life
>>
>>61801716
one of the best posts i've read in a while
>>
>>61802349
>>61802013

let's look at the popular comments on one of his classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEq8UqrujM

>I love esoteric rappers, they prove they can go deeper than any rapper that you claim spits deep lyrics haha.

>Ever hear something that lyrically assassinates your thought process? That right there is simply a work of art.

>when people say rap music has no meaning I always play this or a ra the rugged man track. always alot of silence after of course.

>this shit is deep

>Speechless, some serious mind cracking rhymes, Aesop rock is simply defeatless, in a couple of minutes Rock did his PhD thesis.

>I love how people are dissing this just because they can't understand the lyrics fully.
Keep to Kanye West if you're having a hard time understanding words more complex than what you learned in 6th grade English class.

>Behind Eminem, this guy has some of the best lyrics in the rap genre

>this origami dream is beautiful, pull the tail watch the wings flap, but you really cant do a thing with that.. Aesop continues to astound

>Aesop's metaphors are just incredible, they can interpreted in so many ways. Genius.

>damn aesop is so deep i can feel him in my heart

>I was listening to Aesop Rock all morning then tried to read some Shakespeare but got bored because it seemed too simplistic.
>>
like most white rappers, he's extremely overrated.
>>
>>61802517

not really desu

Plenty of rappers use a large vocabulary without their vocab becoming the central reason as to why people enjoy the music.

Maybe you just enjoy the music, which is fine, but I've spoken to a whole lot of fedora types that like Aesop because they think it gives them an air of intellectual superiority.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.