[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Delay Pedals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: dd20_gal.jpg (268KB, 1190x1050px) Image search: [Google]
dd20_gal.jpg
268KB, 1190x1050px
I'm in the market for another guitar pedal. Usually I've done a bunch of research to find a classic pedal before I made the purchase, but when it comes to delay I don't know where to start and it seems really complex/varied.

I'm looking to spend $150 or less. Are there any important/classic pedals that I should take note of?
>>
There are tons of delay pedals that mostly do the same thing. I guess the only important distinction is between normal delay (delays the exact same sound) and analog delay (gives the delay a softer "tape" sound)

Most pedals are relatively simple, tho you could also spring for a complex delay like the one in your pic if you want to for some reason?
>>
>>61776557
I'm really just looking for a shoegazy sound but I don't know where to start.
I haven't used pedals much in the past (I felt opposed to them cause i'm anal about being a tone purist) but I've wanting to explore lately.
>>
>>61776633
I know some shoegaze people use reverse reverb

Just read up on delay pedals and decide what you want. Like I said, the biggest distinction is between normal delay and analog delay. Analog might be better for shoegaze, though I don't know. But as far as pedals go, delay is definitely one of the most versatile and useful
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Get the old boss DD-2 or Made in Japan version DD-3. It's the best delay pedal.
>>
>>61776633
Robin Guthrie from Cocteau Twins used mostly delay for their sound

idr what specifiic pedals he used but im pretty sure he had a dd3
>>
>>61778355
>that eq setting

enjoy sounding thin af live senpai, not even your epic reverbs will save you lmfao
>>
>>61778526
It was for vocals
>>
>>61778526
you know you can change settings on a pedal right?
>>
>>61778888
Literal quads confirms pedal settings can change.
>>
>>61776519
that one you posted, the boss dd20 is excellent and very versatile and can be had for 120-140 USD used all day.

digital and analog are both great. analog gives a bit murkier repeats, digital gives you very defined repeats.

>>61778458
he used mostly big rack mount stuff in an elaborate setup, there was delay from a bigass TC delay rack mount, but he also heavily used lexicon pitchshifters, boss chorus pedals and tons of compression from studio compressors, and all the shit was synced to the BPM of the songs (at least for heaven and las vegas). He hated reverb.
>>
>>61776633
if you want shoegaze in a box, get a Yamaha FX500. This is what slowdive used. You can get them for like 70 bucks, its a mini rackmount.

Theres another yamaha pedal thats a shoegaze in a box called the 'magicstomp'

they sound really incredible, they look really cheesy though.

I think digital stuff is better for making big washes of sound really, when you use analog gear, theres so much distortion that adds up over the course of a number of pedals maxing out it becomes a giant pile of mush.

Digital stuff keeps things a bit cleaner so you can actually hear notes.
>>
>>61779027
>he hated reverb
Whoa that makes sense I'll go back and listen
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz_-X42wTJA

heres the slowdive patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcCulfJEZA

this one sounds a lot like something you'd hear on a cocteau twins song
>>
this is now a cocteau twins post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WybSSagVvoU
>>
>>61779109
listen to this guy

but definitely get the yamaha magicstomp, i think it's the best unless you drop a few Gs on individual boutique pedals
>>
>>61779175
yo i have that yamaha fx500 im selling a bunch of my gear but not that one, its waaay to versatile. some other guy uploaded a really good reverse reverb path that he did custom and i matched the perameters i cant believe you know about that unit, nobody else uses those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLawGcb4YHw

literally mbv in a box dude i got mine for $80 3 years ago
>>
>>61778355
This, nothing beats Boss
Unless you can get a moogerfooger delay
>>
>>61779378
yeah its weird, there really cheap and they do exactly what people spending 3000 bucks on pedals try to do. probably cuz everyone really wants a giant board of fancy pedals more than the sound haha...

they look pretty chinzy.

alesis microverbs have a lot of weird shoegazy shit in them and those are really cheap too. I got one at a garage sale for 5 bucks. I think mac demarco uses one, I like the way his guitar sounds...I always think about that weird dreamy chorused guitar in that viceroy song.
>>
>>61779512
kevin shields literally used a midiverb 2 and so did chapterhouse. another cool thing that kevin shields did that lot a lot people know, if you can find the pedals, is on the recording of loveless he used two roger meyer distortion pedals, an octavia and another red roger mayer and they created like this cutoff of distortion at certain intervals. but everyone thinks get a big muff or like a fucking boss and your good to go, no its much more deeper than that.

>also kevin smokes a shit ton of pot
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUBcqs0Z9QA

this says its a meatball but he used some shitty little filter pedal called a vorg warp sound

I wanna build one. Sounds pretty cool. I usually hate filters. (I'm sure theres other shit on there tho)
>>
File: shieldsmagfxbig.jpg (120KB, 549x639px) Image search: [Google]
shieldsmagfxbig.jpg
120KB, 549x639px
>>61779665
sorry it was a grey and black one. the octavia is grey
>>
>>61779898
EQ pedal is in a similar bass cut shape as
>>61778355

Who's the pleb now? >>61778526 who's the pleb now?
>>
>>61779378
tfw I cant get any decent sounds from it so Ive just been using the soft focus
>>
>>61778355
DD-6 is the best
also
>Boss EQ
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.