[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so "weird" about Bjork's music exactly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1438837721259.jpg (196KB, 640x570px) Image search: [Google]
1438837721259.jpg
196KB, 640x570px
What's so "weird" about Bjork's music exactly? Medulla, maybe. But the rest?
>>
>>61761397
Nothing and it sucks except Medulla and Biophillia
>>
she is (or was, at least, in her prime) a massively successful mainstream popstar
her music isn't particularly bizarre or groundbreaking but it certainly is by mainstream pop standards
>>
Only stupid normies call her "weird" who know nothing about music.

Her first records are pretty straight forward. Homogenic and Vespertine has some interesting stuff especially the Vespertine which is her best album in my opinion.

Medulla and Biophilia are her most experimental works. Maybe that's why they call her weird.
>>
>>61761397
"weirdness" is relative. someone whos listened to the gerogerigegege isnt going to find bjork weird while someone who listens exclusively to top 40 will
>>
>>61761397
It is weird for plebs, in reality she is a mainstream pop artist.
People talk about her as weird even though they might have never heard any of her songs
>>
>>61761419
I think Biophilia is one of her weakest albums. I've never understood why some people praise it so much.
>>
>>61761397
She's not weird at all Kate Bush did the same thing 35 years ago
>>
>>61761523
Coz it has some of her beset tracks, but it does get boring, just not as quick as post and debut imhotbqhwyf
>>
For some reason, a lot of people find it hard to get past the heavy accent but I've still found my fair share of normies that can appreciate the instrumentals on her first three.
>>
her vocal mannerisms are a little eccentric
>>
>>61761540
When I listen to Biophilia nothing really sticks out for me. Tell me what are the best tracks on the album so I can listen to them separately.
>>
>>61761544
>instrumentals on her first three
Those instrumentals aged bad imo. Especially the stuff on Debut.
>>
>>61761572
Check out Crystalline and Mutual Core
>>
>>61761419
Vespertine is her best album
>>
>>61761572
Virus (is one of my fav Bjoerk tracks), Mutual Core and Sacrifice then Crystaline
But I think most of the tracks are very good
>>
Listen to Vulnicura
>>
>>61761523
the majority of her 90s/early 2000s output shows her sort of curious and inquisitive temperament, as well as many of her songs dealing with themes of trying to understand human nature and whatnot there's also this obsessive desire to experiment with new sounds and ideas which is why we have albums like medulla and why homogenic and vespertine sound entirely different from one another etc etc
the fact that she's so obsessed with trying new things showcases an artist who's young and filled with exciting new ideas and so excited and desperate to get all of these new ideas out that she can barely breathe
obviously the end result is that we see a lot of exciting ideas, but equally because she's so filled with energy and excitement, a lot of these projects lack any real focus or cohesion, and so while they do still stand the test of time to a point, there are fairly obvious cracks and inconsistencies in most of these records that detract from them
fast forward to 2012 and we've got a much calmer, more mature and subdued bjork who's long passed her artistic prime and so isn't so much bursting with new ideas, meaning she's able to take all that she's learned from experimenting with all the different sounds she's learned and sit down and create a record that's calm and focused and flawlessly cohesive, and while it might not have the highs of an album like homogenic or medulla, it doesn't have any of their lows or flaws either

sorry for rambling but that's why it's my favourite bork album
>>
>>61761669
Some fans prefer the calmer, more mature and subdued Björk, I get that. Each to their own. Personally I find the "Homogenic, Vespertine Björk" 10 times more exciting despite it's occasional flaws.

Do you think Vulnicura might be a new chapter for her?
>>
>>61761890
i mean those earlier albums are definitely more exciting but for me personally having listened to all of them dozens of times each, the excitement's kinda worn off and all i really see is the inconsistencies
i didn't like vulnicura at all because the change feels so drastic that i kinda doubt its sincerity, like all of a sudden this artist who's been synonymous with warmth and happiness and positive energy decides to go all sad on us, it just doesn't sound right to me
>>
>>61762057
A lot of my favorite albums have worn off too after listening to them dozens of times. This doesn't make me love them any less however.
Vulnicura is actually very sincere. She probably went through some really hard times after her divorce. If Vulnicura was just like her older records then she wouldn't be sincere.
>>
It's not surprising Vulnicura is sad. She said she wants her next album to be the complete opposite.
>>
ITT: All the cool kids on /mu/ show how hip they are by repeatedly stating how un-weird Bjork's music is.
>>
>>61761624
Boku no nigga
>>
Her vocals
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.