[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you ignore thousands of years of music with variety only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: folk.jpg (296KB, 1385x1378px) Image search: [Google]
folk.jpg
296KB, 1385x1378px
Why do you ignore thousands of years of music with variety only second to art music?

Maybe you should look at yourself first next time you call someone narrow/closed minded or a pleb for writing off your favorite subgenre.

If you do listen to folk, what do you like?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWrTf7i9uSQ

comes out today
>>
Because I'm not a trend hopping faggot who feels the need to prove myself to an anonymous music board by pretending to listen to music I don't actually like

Oh wait
>>
Because most of folk music was generic jingle shit for plebs while the real advances in music were made in other more sophisticated fronts.

The only good think about old-school folk is when some edgy artists takes small influences from it and then does enhance it with actually good music. Remain in Light is a good example.
>>
>>61760816
But if that were the case you'd be scrobbling memerap and trap
>>
baden powell, pedro santos, damião experiença, the list goes on...
>>
>>61760826
>rockists
>>
>>61760831
No, that's not cool enough for the "patrician" meme crowd.

>>61760826
>all music stems from the same tradition and only that tradition had any real value

Also applies to >>61760782
>with variety only second to art music?
Which I disagree with.
>>
>>61760852
>the "patrician" meme crowd

They don't exist anymore, this isn't 2010.

Its 2016 and its all about listening to the most degenerate and simplistic memerap and pop now, anything else is ''fedora''.

Do keep up Hampy.
>>
>>61760843
Good pop is sophisticated too.
>>
>>61760878
see
>>61760888
>>
>>61760878
Nah, "patrician" memers and "avant-teens" seem to still be every where. Why else would this thread even be here? We all know /mu/ doesn't give a shit about traditional and regional musics.
>>
meme
>>
>>61760930
For the few who actually have a genuine interest in the different music styles offered from other countries that aren't just pop/rock, hip hop and dance music.

I would much rather listen to a good dub album or some Aussie didgeridoo music than ever be succumbed to the sounds of Young Thug, Kanye or Grimes ever again.
>>
>>61760967
>For the few who actually have a genuine interest in the different music styles offered from other countries that aren't just pop/rock, hip hop and dance music.
Then why is directly addressed to the people who DON'T listen to trad music?
>>
>If you do listen to folk, what do you like?
Simon and Garfunkel
>>
>>61760996
>If you do listen to folk, what do you like?
>>
>>61761010
>Why do you ignore thousands of years of music with variety only second to art music?

>Maybe you should look at yourself first next time you call someone narrow/closed minded or a pleb for writing off your favorite subgenre.
It's pretty obvious that you're not looking for an open discussion on folk music, but rather to insult and instigate a shitstorm with the people who don't actually care.
>>
File: current-93-thunder-perfect-mind.jpg (24KB, 669x600px) Image search: [Google]
current-93-thunder-perfect-mind.jpg
24KB, 669x600px
I only folk that makes me cry or want to kill myself.
>>
>>61761023
And you know full well that starting a /trad/ thread without trying to piss people off gets less replies than this one, you've made enough of them.
>>
>>61760782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqa1AM7efZ0
>>
>>61761039
Yep, for the reason mentioned up here >>61760930

It's pointless. The only way you'd get people to "care" about folk music is by making it seem "cool" to do so. You need to create a positive image for people to associate with.
>>
>>61761056
Never going to happen without p4k or Fantano approval.
>>
>>61761060
Sure it will; build a notorious and infamous persona on 4chan's /mu/ and start posting about it. You know how well that can influence what people listen to.
>>
>>61761077
How did that work out for your /trad/ threads again?

I see they thrived in your absence and still happen daily with 10s of posters in every general and all the tapmusic charts are full of Smithsonian-core.
>>
>>61761056
You just have to make a thread where you share such music and have two or three other people do it without sounding like a bunch of smug cunts.

The op made me think of all the trolls who say that field recordings and music concrete are the ultimate patrician music or whatever.
>>
>>61761102
>How did that work out for your /trad/ threads again?
My own notorious persona was dead by the time I started making daily /trad/ threads. If I had been making them in 2012-2013, it would've been something completely different.

>>61761109
I agree with the sentiment, but I know that just making threads like that doesn't work.
>>
>>61761109
But it garnered responses, most sharethreads have people DL it all but never talk about it or post about it again.

>>61761118
Yeah, and Magenta Circuit is /mu/core too
>>
>>61760782
>Tribal Music of Australia

kek boongs can't into art OP. Stop kidding yourself.
>>
>>61761128
Why would it be? It's a terrible album. People still memepost it every now and then.
>>
>>61761102
what on earth is smithsonian-core
>>
>>61761148
http://www.folkways.si.edu/
>>
>>61761118
>>61761128
I don't mean share threads where you just spam DL link, I mean something like a general but without the "lel our music is obvious superior!" bullshit. Just people talking about all kinds of folk with a focus on traditional folk music.

I remember a few years ago when people started shunning metal in /mu/ and now we have a constant general where people mind their own business and talk about it undisturbed.
>>
File: 1448830158779.png (121KB, 543x419px) Image search: [Google]
1448830158779.png
121KB, 543x419px
>>61761136
True.
>>
>>61761165
Search the archive for /trad/ general, see how well those worked out.

>>61761169
>
>>
>>61761174
Hows uni going anyway? Still with that ginger bird?
>>
File: Untitled.png (172KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
172KB, 1920x1080px
>>61761178
>Hows uni going anyway?
It's going recently well, got good grades on all exams so far except for one, on which I got a C. Another exam in an hour, integration of perception, behaviour, cognition and emotion. Tomorrow I'm hosting a party at my place, which means it's time for a normie playlist.
>Still with that ginger bird?
Yep.
>>
>>61761174
it would've probably helped if you guys stopped with the tripfagging and the themed/strict rules stuff like not posting pop or modern folk
>>
>>61761218
Thats cool, good to see its going well. Always glad to see your unwanted son doing well!

That playlist makes me feel ill. Needs more Evil Nine.

>>61761243
>like not posting pop or modern folk

But that wasn't what they were for.
>>
>>61761243
Barely anyone tripfagged in /trad/ threads. Also popular and modern folk was allowed, as long as it was firmly based in traditional or regional music. Posting western pop folk would defeat the purpose of the threads entirely. Themes were added because in a meta-thread, it was collectively decided that it would be the best course of action to generate activity. It didn't work.
>>
>>61761259
>Needs more Evil Nine.
This is a good point and I will add Crooked immediately.
>>
File: turny and lads.jpg (66KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
turny and lads.jpg
66KB, 624x351px
>>61761259
How's things in Fagton?
>>
>>61761309
>me on the left

Its all wonderful, things tick over as ever, the snow never falls and the market bores the crap out of me so I end up back here and then this place bores me even more so I just go trawl the gay bars as cliche's expect.
>>
>>61761331
>the snow never falls
Don't complain. I've never been as cold as I am now that I moved to northern Sweden. -30C yesterday, about -25C today.
>>
>>61761338
Its just disappointing sometimes, the south coast is just too far north for warmth and too far south for a decent snowfall, makes it all grey, dull and boring. But yeah, that beats -25C. Fuck that unless its a ski resort.
>>
File: rr.png (1MB, 828x828px) Image search: [Google]
rr.png
1MB, 828x828px
https://soundcloud.com/vverror/sets/ripoff-exclusive
>>
>>61761343
I do live about an hour from one of Sweden's best ski resorts, so that's pretty nice. We also have a couple of slopes and lifts here in town, but they're too small for me. Ait off to school, good talking to you.
>>
>>61761372
You too, good luck with the exam
>>
>>61760967
I've never heard a great deal of sonic variety in aboriginal traditional styled music. Especially solo digeridoo pieces.
>>
>>61761386
I've never heard anything from Kanye, Young Thug or Grimes that didn't make me want to fill my ears with cement
>>
>>61761395
I don't listen to those artists either. This is a false dichotomy you are trying to prop up here.
>>
>>61761446
and sonic variety isn't a prerequisite for quality
>>
>>61761477
Not inherently but without diversity I have no reason to listen to one piece of work over another. There is little justification for a piece to exist if it is merely a replication of something previous. It is one thing to improve upon a particular sound but another to create something identical.
>>
>>61761516
that doesn't discredit or make that work null, void and discardable or make it unenjoyable for what it is
>>
>>61761557
Fair point.

When it comes to exploring a genre, particularly one where the listener lies outside of the cultural confines of that genre. There isn't much to be gained from exploring the genre beyond a few token artists and albums.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.