[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Describe obtaining music for yourself when you were a kid. >ripped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 1451945895067.gif (813KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1451945895067.gif
813KB, 320x240px
Describe obtaining music for yourself when you were a kid.

>ripped singles off of youtube using Audacity.
>"how to get jrock for free"
>>
altavista had an audio search feature that i would use to get AC/DC songs
>>
When I was 11, I got MC Groovs Dance Craze, a shitty ripoff DDR because i was poor

i liked this song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ojPJv9iv4) so I plugged some $10 computer speakers into the tv, put them in front of the built-in microphone on our computer, and recorded the song while i played. It was the worst quality and you could hear my loud stomping in the background, its embarrassing to think back on
>>
>>61751806
was too dumb to torrent but was able to rip my parent's CDs onto the computer
>>
>>61751806
I YouTube to MP3'd songs I heard on top 40 radio or TV commercials or (a bit later) YouTube videos and liked. Most albums had only 1 song but I imputted the covers anyway.

I only started listening to full albums and tagging everything correctly when I discovered Sigur Rós. Someone mentioned them in the comment section of a Coldplay video in YouTube and so I decided to search for some of their songs. I liked a lot of them so I started downloading their albums in full, and did the same for other bands I discovered later. Haven't stopped since.
>>
>kid
>youtube

damn you are young. I got shit off limewire, kazaa, morpheus and napster.
>>
>>61751806
>take CDs from my brother/father
>copy them onto the computer
>>
Didn't get a computer until I was 12 years old so I was given CDs as gifts

The only CDs I ever got were Simple Plan, Nelly Furtado and Kraftwerk for some reason
>>
>>61751806
>blank cassette in boom box
>record-play-pause
>wait for song I like to be played on radio
>hit pause
>wait until song is over
>hit pause
>repeat
>>
>>61751806
>>61752135
Fuck getting old is weird.
>>
>>61752135
Seems like I still have the songs in a backup folder, lol.

>Evanescence - Bring Me to Life
>Fall Out Boy - Dance Dance
>Fergie - Clumsy
>KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See
>Linkin Park - Numb
>Nelly Furtado - Say It Right
>Shakira - Hips Don't Lie
>Etc.

Dear God.
>>
>go to public library
>pick out CDs I want
>take them home and copy the music onto the computer
>had to put an album on hold and wait if somebody already took it

Shit was dope
>>
boyz II men cd singles at the pharmacy
>>
kazaa + limewire as a teen.
>>
>Limewire
>Try to download Lil Webby's "Gimme Dat Pussy" by Webbie
>Get some weird remixed version with some random negros talking over the track

Limewire is weird as shit
>>
>>61751806
>tfw I recorded singles from the radio onto cassettes
>tfw that was in 2004
>>
>>61752347
hahaha wut r u? 80yrs old? oh god, i never thought sumone that was alive in the 50s wuld go here.
>>
>itt people that are probably older than they are pretending to be try to make everyone else feel old.
>>
>>61751806
>google "x album free legal download"
I knew it was illegal but I thought that if I included "free" it would make it look like I thought it was legal when the cops searched my computer and I'd get a shorter prison sentence
>>
File: 1437318717070.jpg (345KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1437318717070.jpg
345KB, 800x600px
>>61751806
when I was a senior in HS, I knew this freshman who would play a song on youtube out loud and record it with the voice memo function on her iPod Nano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM
>>
We'd buy cassettes at the grocery store for 8.99 when our moms took us there back to school shopping for jeans and hairspray. Duh. Like oh my god.
>>
>>61751806
we had to be silent and record the radio with our poor-man mp3.
>>
That Google trick that let you search for open directories.
>>
>go to library
>rent cds
>rip them in 128 kbps .wma in windows media player

Could have done worse. I never used limewire or anything
>>
Napster
Kazaa
WinX
Limewire
used some program to rip albums off myspace when bands would do "RELEASE AVAILABLE ON MYSPACE TWO WEEKS BEFORE IN STORES" stuff. thats how i first got City and Colour's "Bring me Your Love" the program was bad but the quality of the recordings made it sound so much more depressing. I loved it.
>>
This thread is giving me some mad nostalgia.

>J-Rock
>Limewire
>YouTube to MP3
>Linkin Park
>Evanescence

Back when we had memes like Peanut Butter Jelly Time instead of the post-ironic "dank" shit we have today.
>>
>>61751806
>ask parents to buy the album for me and listen to it on my walkman
>>
>>61753131
Holy kek my cousin used to do this with the radio
And she had that song recorded
>>
I used to just listen to my dads dadrock collection on my walkman

as I got a little older id do youtube to mp3.

For some reason I was way to scared to use limewire out of pure fear id be arrested and put to death
>>
Gave my dad a list of songs I wanted (sum 41, Papa roach, linkin park, etc), and he'd dl them off napster.

That, or getting cd's from the library, ripping them with musicmatch jukebox, burning them to cd's, printing off black and white versions of the album covers, and putting them in jewel cd cases.

From there I moved onto limewire/kazaa/bearshare, then DC++, then torrents.
>>
>>61751806
Would go to store, try charm my mum into buying me CD.

No every time, slipped it in backpack told parents a friend let me borrow it
>>
I would use FrostWire to download Beatles songs back in my "le wrong generation" stage.
>>
limewire
ended up getting a ton of bill clinton "i never had sex" clips. never got a virus so i did alright.
after that it was just googling the album on some blogspot and going from there
>>
limewire
>>
>>61751806
>I'm so old guys!

>believe me
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.