[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When you're listening to jazz how do you know what instrument

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: jazz.jpg (8KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
jazz.jpg
8KB, 254x198px
When you're listening to jazz how do you know what instrument you're hearing up front? I can tell a piano but others are trickier to discern.
>>
>>61744803
Pitch and baritone.
>>
>>61744833
I think you mean timber
>>
>>61744803
I feel trumpets are usually easy to discern
>>
Sax and clarinet are very similar. Same with french horn and trombone
>>
>>61744877
sometimes I confuse them with sax

I guess if the style of a solo is kinda the same for both instruments I get tricked
>>
Good god...
>>
it's not really _that_ hard - hit up some live gigs, seeing the instruments being played helps in understanding what's going on and connecting the sounds to instruments
>>
>>61744803
I mean I don't now how this ever could really be a problem, but I imagine listening to them solo, so you are certain what instrument it is will help you develop an ear for larger environments
>>
Jazz listeners will be rude about this because the distinction is second nature to them, but it's normal to get various brass and woodwind instruments confused if you aren't used to hearing them solo. Liner notes for albums will often tell you who is playing the solos - especially with big bands where there are lots of people on the same instrument.

The only way to learn to recognise it yourself is practice. You'll pick it up as you go along if you;re seriously interested in getting into jazz.
>>
Bass and drums, of course.
>>
>>61744803
Watch videos I guess or just learn what the instruments sound like. You shouldn't be confusing a sax for a trumpet.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.