[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this album so overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (89KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 470x470px
Why is this album so overrated?
>>
Because people like it.

Stupid dumb people, always ruining everything.
>>
would you rather be under paid or over rated?
>>
>>61716326
The latter honestly.
>>
>>61716290
because of complacency with mediocre/simply average music; this explains like 95% of this board.
>>
it has 2 things no liberals can resist: black power lyrics and jazz crossover
>>
>>61716290
bc of da jooz
>>
>>61716346
ON FLEEK
N

F
L
E
E
K
>>
>>61716346
/thread
>>
>>61716346
Correct.
>>
>>61716346
this is pretty much it

it's a great album but those 2 factors propelled it to "masterpiece" status among critics
>>
>>61716290
it isnt, people here overemphasize the anti-white aspects of the album and feel victimized. It is a very personal album and highly critical of black culture if someone actually listened. That being said Hood Politics, How Much a Dollar Cost, and You Ain't Gotta Lie could/should have been cut
>>
>>61716290

> overrated

I always wondered, what does this specifically mean? Does it only imply that ones subjective enjoyment of the record isn't as intense as the enjoyment the majority receives?
>>
>>61716346
Thank you, makes sense
>>
>>61716474
>critics cite an album's innovation as one of the main reasons for its high rating
>further research reveals that it wasn't really as original as the critics generally thought
>thus, the album could be considered "overrated"
>>
It's also Black as fuck. "Blackness" is a concept that remains fluid and intangible, but so solid that one can feel it when it’s present. And it was all over Butterfly. From the opening notes (a sample of Boris Gardiner's "Every Nigger Is a Star") to the closing—a fabricated conversation with Tupac Shakur—the album is packed with Blackness.

All of this Blackness is important. Important because sometimes white people need to take a metaphorical seat—to sit down, shut up, and listen to conversations in which they are a cultural object, not the center. This is not an easy task. White people have been way too comfortable for way too long in this country, in this world. Way too comfortable with the way they choose to see reality solely through their own gaze, way too comfortable with their sense of entitlement over the planet and its resources, way too comfortable with their appropriation of culture in ways large and small, way too comfortable with the stories they tell, the lies passed off as the history of mankind. Way too comfortable with the things they pick up, way too careless with the way they put them down. But Kendrick was willing to discomfort the comfortable. He took all of the acclaim he had received as a critical darling from his major label debut—the rightfully extolled good kid, m.A.A.d city—and doubled down on his Blackness, not for the entertainment of white people, but in near-total disregard for their experience of his conversation. He was Miles Davis playing with his back to the crowd, and in that sense, it's a miracle that this record has found the audiences that it has found.
>>
>>61716564
p4k is going to pretend this paragraph doesn't exist in 10 years
>>
>>61716474
>autism
>>
>>61716564
Shut the fuck you stupid pretentious fuck, nobody cares. The album sucks, is over-rated and Kendick Fagmar tried too hard to create a modern day classic and tried so hard to make black people to be victims, KenIsuckDIck will never make an album like illmatic, hell he won't even make an album better than blue print 3 LOL
>>
It's a well done album. Instead of trying to go for some innovation gimmick it focused on good songwriting/composition. The production's great with enough variation and changes to definitely put it far above the usual repetitive loops that plague the genre. Kendrick may not have a unique flow like say...MF DOOM but his ability to transition between flows is really good. The lyrics, while not covering original concepts ends up hitting said concepts in interesting ways (the black power/cuck memes are for example very much based on a basic surface level interpretations of the lyrics Kendrick's definitely in the "guys we must fix ourselves" group instead of the "it's the white man's fault.) Some music obviously goes for a more adventuristic route trying to introduce fresh new things to music, but then there's other music that takes the route of mastery trying to make the best out of what already exists. TPAB is the latter.
>>
>>61716607
it's a copypasta from p4k's AOTY list
>>
>>61716474
No it means the majority receives enjoyment for reasons other than the merit of the music itself, or are unaware of (or purposely ignore for whatever reason) the existence of superior music/things.
>>
>>61716564
btw if he's so black and proud why'd he shill out and do a taylor swift song you dumb fucking cuck LOL kill yourself ASAP you white guilting faggot, I'm sorry but I lived in the ghetto, I'm white and my family got out in a matter of 2 years because we actually tried
>>
>>61716564
Ok that's great and all but sonically it's still shit.
>>
>>61716290
it's not.
>>
>>61716615
refer to
>>61716607
>>61716639
>>
>>61716564
I love this album but honestly reading this hurt my enjoyment. Go fuck yourself pitchfork
>>
>>61716664
what do you expect from stupid white guilt shills like pitchfork? they know nothing about music but think they know everything by comparing artists that aren't in any way related and think it's clever and cunning
>>
>>61716694
I don't expect shit, its such a shame because >>61716615 does a good job of summing up my thoughts on the album.
>>
>>61716660
Those have absolutely nothing to do with what I said though. That other post's some stupid shit from P4K. Every time I read something from P4K, it's something music related but without actually talking about the music. Fuck that place.
>>
>>61716727
Oh I came up with that on my own it's not a P4K copypasta like the other thing. I hate P4K as I said >>61716731
>>
>>61716731
I agree
>>
>>61716727
I simply don't like this album, it's a stupid attempt at trying to be the ghetto savior or whatever he wants to be, this isn't the kind of person who's a good voice for the black community, he's a fucking twit that can't rap, he's on a fucking taylor swift song for god sakes, he's just a fat shill with average ability and he's over-hyped like his trash music, Joey Bada$$ or Underachievers over this blimped up trash anyday
>>
>>61716639
Hello Reddit
>>
>>61716628

>superior music/things

But superiority is a subjective notion, therefore everything is potentially overrated which makes the term somewhat arbitrary.
>>
>>61716844

* or do you mean they're unaware of something that they themselves would consider superior if they'd actually know about it?
>>
>>61716763
>the ghetto savior
What? A lot of it is his own personal self discovery story, the rest is about working TOGETHER. Like the whole message is about the idea that not one or two people/things can automatically change this.

>bad voice for the community
I prefer his "we have to change all the bad stuff ourselves" to the retarded Black Lives Matter's vitriol that blames white people

>Fat shill
Did a BMI calculation he's under normal weight not over nor under.

Way to post truly overhyped stuff in Bada$$ though. Niggas expecting a 4/5 album he releases barely a 3/5.

They need to give me more work at work if I am seriously responding to bait posts like this
>>
>>61716771
Fuck reddit you stupid faggot, you're out of something to say so you scraped the bottom of the barrel for that to avoid admitting you're in a stalemate of wits, you stupid white shaming jew
>>
>>61716907
You're stupid, Kendrick is promoting blaming white people, the whole fucking album is nothing but "oh my god im just a poor nigger this is the white man's fault"
>>
>>61716907
>Black Lives Matter's vitriol that blames white people

Because cops shooting black teens at random isn't a problem right?
>>
>>61716921
This has to be bait. Nobody from /pol/ could be so stupid.
>>
>>61716921
no need to be ashamed of your home :^)
>>
>>61716907
go ahead and tell a black fan of kendrick's you agree with his message, they're ignorant fucks like him and won't like you simply because you're white, that's the kind of person who listens to his music. Just like if you were black and told a racist that you love motorhead in the deep woods of alabama, they'd fucking kill you because ignorant people listen to that music an are fueled by it, all Kendrick does is create ignorance by painting an un-true picture that whites are to blame, and if you had half of a brain you'd see that.
>>
>>61716947
>>61716953
Both sides of the same stupid coin.
>>
>>61716953
Not when they're shooting each other
>>
>>61716956
>>61716977
so you're now below the bottom of the barrel and have resorted to samefagging, gg you lost the game
>>
>>61717002
Except none of the victims had killed anyone.
>>
>>61716983
stfu you democrat cucktard, go suck bern's dick and get a job you freeloading son of sam
>>
>>61716947
Wow. It's funny how people act like they are ssssooo above this album that it's too stupid for them, then continue to miss the points on said album. Learn to point out the difference between a meme and truth dumbass. Shit turns out even TPAB is too intellectual for you.

>>61716953
It's a problem, but not one that you can use to blame shit that's been happening in ghetto neighborhoods for years.
>>
>>61716290
white guilt
>>
>>61717018
k Redditor
>>
>>61716872
Exactly. Kind of like how young kids listen to Queen and RHCP for the first time and think it's the most amazing music in the world.

Another way music can be overrated is if critics place upon it attributes that it doesn't actually have, or have to the degree they say it does.
>>
>>61717035
lol are you fucking retarded, you think that none of these black kids shot by cops weren't running around killing each other in the hood or killing people for being a different skin color? they were. they're racist apes and deserved to be shot dead, in fact any racist in the hood deserves to be shot dead where they stand.
>>
>>61717041
>Neoreactionaries argumentating
>>
>>61716639

> black and proud, therefore can't make a song with a white person

> I tried and it worked guyssss xD totally statistically relevant :DDDD
>>
>>61717018
Nice try, buddy
>>
>>61717046
No it's just an album of white guilt, you're just fucking retarded, go tell someone in the hood you agree with the messages in the album and get shot dead because they're ignorant and think you're opressing them, literally they'll kill you for it.
>>
>>61716980
Or maybe if you fucking paid attention to what you're listening to, there is no vitriol against the white people as a whole. The black friend of mine who introduced to me to Kendrick years ago has quite possibly one of the most diverse group of friends I have seen a person have.
>>
>>61717076
>lol are you fucking retarded, you think that none of these black kids shot by cops weren't running around killing each other in the hood or killing people for being a different skin color

No because they didn't. That is, unless you can prove the contrary, can you?
>>
>>61717119
Yes they're ignorant idiots who have only been shown to kill each other over money or kill someone else for being a different skin color, that's what ignorant people do, just like trailer trash, they do the same shit. Oh and guess what motivates them to do this? The music they listen to.
>>
>>61717152
You still haven't proved that any of them killed anyone, so your argument is invalid.
>>
>>61717117
LOL the whole album is anti-white don't even sit there and lie to me like that, you think the ignorant people this album is directed towards understand the "real message" no, they think "kendrick muh nigga hur dur kill whitey" that's what they derive from it, you big dumb stupid.
>>
>>61717076
>They're racist [racial slur]

No words.
>>
>>61717168
Uhm Michael Brown choked out a gas station owner for a swisher sweet, and had pictures of him posing with guns? He also tried reaching for the cops gun when he was shot? Trayvon Martin known thug in his area, seen on facebook flexing with guns, yeah, they didnt kill anyone or hurt a soul, huh? They were both kind gentle understanding people huh? Or were they apart of the scum of the fucking earth that need to die?
>>
>>61717185
You acting so salty and agressive just shows how fragile your argumentative basis is.
>>
>>61717100
This is literally you going 1+1=3 and me going 1+1=2 this can't be debated. For fucking years Kemdrick has said that we need to fix ourselves instead of blaming the white people.

>>61717152
>the music they listen to
Gangsta rap hasnt been popular in years though. Your post shows a lack of understanding about the situations in such places. Not saying that these things don't happen, but they do for reasons that went way over your head. But then this is 4chan finding a poster who is/or is acting like a sociopath with no empathy is common.
>>
>>61717073

>Exactly.

I guess I was misled by /mu/. The term gets thrown around here more than loosely. However, the term is a really vague one since in most case it's hard to predict what people would like in terms of music.

> degree

Hmmm, for example while I think that something can be objectively original I don't think that the degree of originality is all that measurable so a critic can't be wrong about the degree of originality but about the claim as a whole. Also, I don't think that the term overrated applies in this scenario, I'd say that they just have a misinformed opinion. Thanks for the conversation.
>>
>>61717223
Yeah? Why hasn't Kendrick gone public and spoken to a large crowd of black people and said that then? Instead he makes music that fuels their hate towards us lol.
>>
>>61717185
So you are admitting that the actual message is in fact about blacks working on improving themselves. But then you go on and make generalizations about everyone on the ghetto being dumb as shit. That no empathy sociopath bullshit that is oh so common up in 4chan.
>>
>>61717258
Does Twitter count? Shit during the Michael Brown thing he was saying nothing but "we gotta improve/fix ourselves guys"
>>
>>61717270
Here's the ghetto summed up for you
>I'm poor this is the white man's fault
>No way this could be my ancestor's fault for selling me into this
>>
>>61717299
Did he directly say that we need to not blame white people for this? No. That tweet can easily be mis-interpreted by ignorant people, it has to be made crystal clear to them, they literally do not understand a tweet like that.
>>
>>61717304
Yeah, it's only their fault that they were shoved into crammed urban areas a century ago and forced to attend underfunded schools with poorly trained teachers, have little to no opportunity to advance, are over-policed and are disproportionately the most likely demographic to be arrested, convicted, send to prison or killed by police. The white man never did anyting wrong.

Also,

>B-b-but they sold themselves into slavery

Go read about the concept of supply and demand.
>>
>>61716412
are you shitting me? How Much A Dollar Cost is probably the best music on the whole album, imo
>>
>>61717304
>confirmed for having never been in, near, or around a ghetto
Did you even know what a ghetto was before Michael Brown?

>>61717332
That's because he didn't want to get involved in the stupid racial divide BLM shit. Also your post reeks of the childish caricature of the ghetto person you made up in your head.
>>
>>61717421
Kek, I know not eveyboy in the ghetto is ignorant, but you're fucking lying to me if it;s not a 70:30 ratio of ignorance.
>>
>>61716564
I agree with everything you said and think you said it really well, except the part where this white comfort is just an illusion created by people with a shittier life.
That's a really good analysis though, I'm considering quoting you in my facebook page.
>>
>>61717497
I would be possibly lying due to situations in the ghetto, but that wasn't my point. My point was that TPAB doesn't blame whiteys. Sure you definitely have ignorant idiots in and outside ghettos that do, but that's an entirely different case from the message of this album. This discussion has now gone in a direction more fit for I guess /pol/? That being said again, don't underestimate the intelligence of guys in the ghetto. Shit, guys like MF DOOM and MF GRIMM have been among the worst off in the ghetto that are peeps in the hip hop game (DOOM was homeless for years after his brother died, GRIMM went to jail for murder right after make Iblyis), yet they choose to do clever rapping using a very comic book-esque style instead of directly talking about muh ghetto.
>>
File: nigger.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>>61716564
That article was written by this, pic-related Nigger

>>61716953
Maybe Niggers should just stop committing crimes and get a fucking job
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.