[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How iconic is this album going to become?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

File: David-Bowie-Blackstar-640x640.jpg (19KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
David-Bowie-Blackstar-640x640.jpg
19KB, 640x640px
How iconic is this album going to become?
>>
very
>>
>>61691150
Not sure anything will quite compare desu senpai. No real precedent for this.
>>
bored of it on the second day. Its not bad but its not groundbreaking and is basically being carried by his reputation. Imagine if an unknown artist released it.
>>
>>61691150
It will slowly roll back to it's 1/10 status, where it belongs.
>>
In 10 years blackstar is going to be named as one of his essentials
Gonna be ziggy, blackstar, heroes, low, hunky dory
>>
>>61691309
Well it was quite acclaimed before his death even, although that doesn't entirely rule out your argument about reputation alone. However, I must say that the hype behind Blackstar on here before Bowie's death was quite telling about the quality of the album. It's easy to judge harshly and shit on potentially "washed up" sort of artists putting out work at that age and we know /mu/ is just the place to do that. So it really is quite a feat considering it was being praised here even before his death added a significant layer of context to the project.
>>
File: blackstar.jpg (13KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
blackstar.jpg
13KB, 500x465px
Is it too soon to buy a Blackstar shirt?
>>
>>61691560
But that's a white star
>>
>>61691560
The new Unknown Pleasures shirt t b h
>>
>>61691560
I actually like that. I would wear it unironically.
>>
>>61691611
NOT A BLACKSTAR
>>
It's Bowie's Abbey Road, so yes.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-12-11-45-52.png (427KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-12-11-45-52.png
427KB, 2560x1440px
>>61691330
It's already happened.
>>
>>61691150
not very

it's an okay album at best but i don't think it will stay iconic in like 10 years
>>
>>61691924
I'm okay with this.
>>
>>61691309
How wrong you are. First off, the reviews came before his death, which shows the strength of the work seperate from how much people will miss bowie. Secondly, the album is actually a monumental, genre-bending masterwork; not only is the whole thing enjoyable IMO but he also has a completely genius modification of his "soul love" from ziggy stardust at the end of the album, his last song is a callback to his own work from the 70s. I don't know about you guys but I am thoroughly impressed by it
>>
>>61692000
Trips confirm its merits. I'm convinced that most of the people who shit on this album (which is actually a pretty small number) are simply baiting.
>>
>>61691150
>hunky dory
>second

this is why rym is utter fucking garbage
>>
>>61691690
Bowie doesn't have cool indie torture cred like JD. No chance.
>>
>>61691290
>>61691150
>donuts by j dilla
>>
>>61691924
Meh. IMO Heroes is a 4.75, Low is a 4.25, Station to Station is a 3.5, Hunky Dory a 3.5, Ziggy a 3.25 and Blackstar a 3.75-4.0
>>
>>61692222
checked
>>
>>61691924
why is hunky dory rated so fucking high
>>
>>61692416
because it's very good
>>
>>61692207

>Legendary musician is icon for generations but no chance to sell a lot of t shirts

ok anon
>>
>>61691309
>>61691326
A lil reply to your bowie post: WOW!!!!!!!!#. I am HONESTLY fucking speechless at how blatantly ignorant arrogant and narcissistic you are you dilluted fucking cunt. AND WHAT HAVE YOU PERSONALLY DONE FOR THE QUEER COMMUNITY EXCEPT FLAUNT YOUR FAT FUCKING ASS AROUND and play other peoples music???????. HAVE YOU EVER HAD AN ORIGINAL IDEA IN YOUR LIFE???????. How are you going to go on a rampage calling someone a white pedophile who in my opinion is an icon but nevermind that....... You are fucking sick. It sickens me that you would even have the audacity to post something like this but it sickens me MORE that you have this cavalcade of fucking braindead drones that respond "i had no idea wow"....... Jesus fucking christ. Or rather Sandy fucking nutts!!!!!!!!. Since YOU basically think you are a god. You make me so sick. It is sickening that you exist and it is very sad that people listen to you. You have done NOTHING for the queer community except cause a world of drama. Keep living your life as the narcissistic metasticized tumor you are. This is tooo toooo far. I will no doubt run into you. I will just stay the FUCK away from you because you are a sick sad dangerous subhuman cunt.
>>
>>61692222
First checked

Second Donuts was an album written on a death bed but I believe started before hand and his health was disclosed to the public.

Blackstar was an album that was written on a death bed and is solely here because of the artist dying. And his health wasnt disclosed.

The first adds an element to a great album while the second is the core element of the album.
>>
blackstar and the next day are both top ten bowie albums
>>
>>61692507
>>61691309
>>61691326
I do not know what happened to you considering you used to be one of the coolest funniest people I knew years ago but your decline into massive self absorbsion sickens me. Please do yourself a favor and fucking check yourself. But i know you wont. You are nothing but a repulsive enochate personality disorder that would fit purrrfektly impaled bowies cock. Way to go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!. You are dworkin and mandella mixed into one!!!!!!!!!. A mouthpiece for the opressed masses. Please now darling put another song on the dj set and bash bowie. You really make a good point. Who the fuck do you think you are?. CUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.Why dont you go shake your ass like a freak at another bounce show and then complain about cat calling?. "Im just saying hes not my queer idol"..... You say. Well NO ACTUALLY YOURE AGREEING WITH OUTING BOWIE FOR BEING A RAPIST AND A PEDOPHILE. Pull your fucking head twenty thousand feet out of that ginormous hot ass of yours and get a very petit grip on reality. And have just a shred of human decency. Just a shread. It is so sad that you and people like you exist in this world. You might as well be the queer Fred Phelps. Using someones death to bash them. You are a sick cunt. AT LEAST DO SOMETHING BESIDES COMPLAIN BITCH GOSSIP AND START DRAMA..... SOMETHING A TAD WORTHWHILE CREATIVE ETC. BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO BASH A LITERAL ICON. GODDAMNED. Sick sad world were living in. Thank you for finally publicly making the BIGGEST fool out of yourself possible. "He hasnt done anything worthwhile in the last twenty years?" except ummm well for starters manage to make an entire beautiful album addressing the issues of death while in the end stages of cancer. Im not even going into my personal experiences with you being a sicko. But man you said a mouthful here. You are now designated QUEER FRED PHELPS.
>>
>>61692416
It's a great album with iconic tracks like Life on Mars and Changes. The other tracks are also no fillers, because they all have something to tell and for Bowie the inspration is not that abstract.

Hell, everytime I listen to Kooks I cry like a bitch, because hewrote it for hisnew born son and the melody is just so heartwarming and I remember how I don't get along with my parents at all.

Shit and I am crying right now as I type these words fuck mylife
>>
>>61692483
>>61692533

i'm not doubting it's merit i'm just saying low, station to station, and "heroes" are way better and should rank higher.
>>
it's not bad but only that...
>>
>>61692500

The UP shirt is worn by annoying indie types who like the design more than album. While JD is mainstream, people like to pretend they're not.

I can't imagine BS' design being associated with avant teens because of how popular it is.
>>
>>61692571
They are more like concept albums while Honky Dory is amazing because so many different styles are next to each other.
>>
>>61692507
>>61692507
Hey man I dig blackstar, some people just don't try to love anything or get inside the mind of the artist. Some artists take a while to get into. Some songs and albums do as well. Some people disagree and post about it on a Swedish elephant wrangling board. chill out man
>>
>>61692571
I think when it comes to Bowie it's easy to disagree with the order because they're all about as good as each other so the order is pretty subjective for each person.
>>
>>61691150
People will stop talking about it before January is over
>>
>>61691150
As good as it is, I don't think the album is what's iconic here, so much as David Bowie's life and career in their entirety. It was a finishing move perfectly suited to his 50+ year combo of awesomeness. You can't really take it out of the context of being a David Bowie album.
>>
I'm a Bowie fan and I honestly don't get the hype for Blackstar, it's a 6/10 at best imo
The lyrics feel very poignant within the context of his death and everything but songwriting-wise most songs are really mediocre

I don't think it will stand the test of the time like his other, more acclaimed albums
>>
>>61692612
>>61692661
i am so happy we can have a civilized conversation on this site for once
>>
>>61693430
Really stupid question, but do you have decent audio equipment? The sound is really amazing and nuanced.
>>
File: absolute blackstar.png (317KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
absolute blackstar.png
317KB, 500x500px
>>61693430
I'm a 4chan poster and I honestly don't get the hype for your post, it's a 6/10 at best imo
The words feel very poignant within the context of shitposts and everything but intelligence-wise most sentences are really mediocre

I don't think it will stand the test of the time like other, more acclaimed posts
>>
>>61693475
I always tried to be humble here on /mu/ and Bowie's dead and the related shock made me even more so. Not kidding.
>>
>>61693531
upboated
>>
File: images (1).jpg (4KB, 266x189px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
4KB, 266x189px
>>61693549
Hug me anon
>>
>>61693531
Ah, the old reddit switcharoo.
>>
You know, on newspages and social networks, I see everyone gushing over that "Look up here, I'm in heaven" line, or maybe even the whole first verse. And I get that, it's feelsy and easy to understand. Same with "I’m dying to".
But what really, really got me out of the whole album is the ending of Lazarus.
>"Ain't that just like me"
And I though about Bowie, faced with inescapable death, and deciding that he's going to make art out of it. Because that's the greatest thing about Bowie, there has always been a interplay between artist and art that's really great.
>"Ain't that just like me"
It is, isn't it?
>>
>>61693531
please consider suicide
>>
>>61693749
Feel like you were, bro.
>>
>>61693716
>>61693783
>>61694026
I just wanted to make a nice post. I honestly can't believe this level of backlash, and I'm deeply offended.
>>
>>61691309
>the second day
Fuck off reddit

The consensus seems to be that /mu/ loves this album but a few migrants from r/atheism have tried their best to smear it
>>
>>61692201
cry harder, pleb
>>
>>61694207
give me a reason
>>
>>61692612

jesus christ the only reason I haven't listened to Hunky Dory is because my ex loved it. i'll give it a go, thanks anon.
>>
>>61694241
Albums being connected to emotions you hate can be terrible, but it's a great feel when you discover something in the sounf and lyrics that only matters for YOU and thus becomes something new and very personal and new thing
>>
>>61694299
Couldn't listen to ITAOS for years because it reminded me of some stupid neckbeard-fedora crush I had back at uni.
>>
>>61692352
Glam Bowie is best Bowie.
>>
>>61691150
It is already best rated album of the 2010s on Rate Your Music. (but the chart isn't refreshed yet)
>>
>>61692201
Or maybe your opinion is shite
>>
I bought the cd instead of the lp because it came with a black star pin. Kind of ashamed of myself.
>>
>>61691560
>>61691611
lel
>>
>>61695014
Thank God. Fuck you, Kanye.
>>
>>61695754
>>61695014
always happens with new albums like this
>>
>>61696140
what?
>>
>>61691150
This should totally become /mu/core
>>
>>61693794
THIS.

It's a statement about how he views his whole career and how he understands that fame and fortune he has cant come with him into the great unknown so he does the only thing he can do and make a song and album talking about his last phase in life. And he's totally aware of how weird, and personal, this sounds.

It's something completely Bowie. It's just like him.
>>
>>61696771
Give it enough time Id see get its own category of performance art albums. If not on the /mu/ essentials at least.
>>
>>61695110
>Montie
>insulting someone else's opinion
lol
>>
>>61692222
nice trips.

anyone else not really see the appeal in Donuts or is it just me? maybe someone can explain...
>>
>>61696961
hahaha
>>
>>61696973
have you ever listened to the likes of since i left you, endtroducing?
>>
>>61691150
I imagine it'll probably be have an enduring legacy in the "underground" or "hipster" or whatever-you-want-to-call-it scenes, and it'll be cited as an influence by a good deal of future artists, but the mainstream won't really care about it too much.
>>
>>61691150
it's already a meme, so no
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.