[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it stupid to call this AOTY? the whole death concept of it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 7

File: Blackstar_album_cover.jpg (22KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Blackstar_album_cover.jpg
22KB, 500x500px
Is it stupid to call this AOTY? the whole death concept of it just makes it an absolute masterpiece imo
>>
>>61677263

>the whole death concept

I'll bet you hate Death Grips though huh?
>>
Tbh senpai I think it is. Death was the main concept off Carrie and Lowell which was an AOTY for me. Blackstar might not be traditional Bowie but goddammit senpai, it's Bowie through and through.
>>
But the album itself doesn't sound that good desu
>>
>>61677636
But...but....the hype train....
>>
Too soon to say. But I feel like it's a strong contender desu.
>>
it's pretty great but idk about AOTY, maybe top 10

and this is coming from a Bowie fan
>>
>>61677636
Yes it does even before his death its fucking god tier
>>
>>61677735
It really wasn't and still isn't. The music isn't remarkable. The only thing that makes this album at all interesting right now is the context.

I'm a huge Bowie fan by the way and listened to the album on release but was unfortunately quite disappointed actually. It's a shame this had to be his swan song.
>>
It's 11 days into the year. There's NO WAY of knowing if this will be AOTY, or even in top 10. Unless you're judging for sentimental reasons, in which case fuck off
>>
>>61677889
I'm kind of the opposite. I didn't like any of Bowie's pre-2013 stuff. I really liked the remix track Love is Lost with James Murphy, and I really liked the album Blackstar. And now that he's died it's bumped it from an 8 to a 9 for me.
>>
File: 14395839575934.jpg (31KB, 623x336px) Image search: [Google]
14395839575934.jpg
31KB, 623x336px
>>61677945
>8 to a 9
Why not bump it up to 11 anon
>>
It will win the grammy for album of the year, easily.
>>
Calling it now. It will be number one on almost every critics list at the end of this year unless Radiohead drop Kid A pt. 2 or something
>>
SWISH will be AOTY for sure
>>
>>61677263
keep in mind that this year we'll have new albums from:

Radiohead
Animal Collective
Grizzly Bear
maybe Arcade Fire
maybe Dirty Projectors
maybe Fleet Foxes/Robin Pecknold
>>
>>61677636
Are you fucking kidding me?
It's amazing even without context
>>
>>61677735
>>61677889
It is remarkable. It was before, during, and after his slow, excruciating, painstaking death
>>
>>61678416
and LCD Soundsystem

Do you guys think James Murphy feels honored to have played a part on this album?
>>
>>61678416
>>61678497
Other than Radiohead, I can't say I'm impressed. Blackstar is on a level all its own.
>>
>>61678527
you cant say youre impressed because you havent heard the albums yet
>>
>>61678416
>maybe Tool
>>
>>61678416
all of those are shit
>>
>>61678545
Well for starters if Floridada is of any indication of what Painting With will sound like, in line with their other recent output, it's safe to say that Animal Collective will not deliver. It won't be disappointing either, because what can you expect? Not shit?
>>
it's january so yes
>>
>>61678416
>Grizzly Bear
>Fleet Foxes
I thought indie folk was dead. Not that I'm happy about it - I missed the peak of indie folk entirely since I was in high school.
>>
>>61677636
This album was great

I'll bet you don't even like Scott Walker
>>
>>61677636
this

it's really mediocre
>>
>>61678416
I don't see how that's relevant to potential AOTY discussion, care to elaborate?
>>
>>61678416

Indie rock is terrible, though. People like Bowie, Zappa, and Beefheart were legitimate artists.
>>
>>61677636
The album was an 8/10 for me before he died desu

I don't know if its alright for me to want to inflate my rating because of the added perception him passing gives tho
>>
>>61678656
it's nowhere near as good as scott's last few albums anon

wasn't that bad, don't get me wrong, but the comparison just isn't there
>>
It's January so yes.
But i expect to see this in my top 3 at the end of the year.
>>
i still can't believe he's gone. he's still alive, he has to be :(
>>
>>61678701
Such a fedora thing to say, really. Yeah, they were very good artists but when you say "legitimate artists" you just sound smug as fuck
>>
>>61678730
I inflating the rating to 9 and i don't know how to feel about that.
>>
>>61677263
considering that he planned it around his death and released it on the day of his birth with lyrics about resurrection

it's both a concept album and performance art

he made his death a spectacle

that's pretty based, gotta say. i like the album alone, it's jittery and sputtering and something that smells vaguely like Scott Walker, but it's still really Bowie. most interesting music he's made in years

maybe not AOTY but it'll be in the discussion. best musician death ever tho, in my onion
>>
>>61678730
I bumped my 8.5 to a 9.5 because the whole album just made a lot of fucking sense with context
>>
>>61678857
wow that was big of you are you sure it wasn't more like a 9.57 or above even 9.58?

I've seen people saying 9.565 but I'm more of the mindset that it is closer to 9.55885
>>
>>61678903
Am I supposed to laugh?
>>
>>61677263
no but I think it just bumps it up a point to tie it with this although I expect both to get knocked down soon maybe even this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uzBbsSZq7M
>>
File: 9bf.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
9bf.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
>>61678416
>keep in mind that this year we'll have new albums from this list of meme artists:
>>
>>61678958
how you deal with being mocked is up to you really
>>
>>61678416
>Grizzly Bear
>Fleet Foxes

Sauce?
>>
>>61679011
Seriously that was me getting mocked?
Huh
>>
File: waits.png (50KB, 587x438px) Image search: [Google]
waits.png
50KB, 587x438px
>>61677636
>>
Jan 15: Daughter - Not to Disappear
The Anchoress - Confessions
Brothers Osbourne - Pawn Shop
Raw - Battalion of Demons
Anderson Paak - Malibu
Fire - She Sleeps
Bloodiest - s/t
Lycus - Chasms
Smoke Rings - Boxes
Jan 22: Abbath - s/t
Lisa Hilton - Nocturnal
Savages - Adore Life
Agoraphobic Nosebleed
Jesu & Sun Kil Moon
Tortoise - Catastrophist
Half Japanese - Perfect
Brutality - Sea of Ignorance
Jan 29: Sia - This Is Acting
Black Tusk - Pillars of Ash
Nevermen (Mike Patton) - s/t
Chthe'ilist - Dernier Crépuscule
>>
>>61677433
they didnt actually die tho
>>
>>61679155
ain't no bunch of literally whos going to top the based rapist's death songs
>>
>>61677263

This album brings together so many sounds and influences, including Bowie's long career. The music is challenging and stark, it is classic Bowie to distil music like this and force feed it to the world.

Bowie is truly peerless.
>>
>>61678652
As much of the genre is shit, albums like Veckatimest and Helplessness Blues are fucking god-tier and highly recommended. Definitely a cool era of music to look back on, they made it hip to be emotionally open and "softer" around the edges
>>
>>61677263
wow it's brilliant because he DIED fucking WOW he DIED wow BRILLIANT
>>
>>61678903
get off the stage
>>
To put in my two cents, it was getting good reviews and attention before the announcement. My personal thoughts are that Bowie demanded they not spill the beans on his condition (and possible death) until after the album dropped. That way reviews and such had already been done and his death wouldn't sway that.

The man was an artist through and through he would have wanted to uphold the values of art even after death.
>>
>>61679369

Bowie dying wasn't for us, it was for him and his family. He gave us the art which is what he always gave.
>>
>>61678000
Nope. It will get the remembrance ceremony but Grammys are only for pop on the radio. There's no way anything from Black Star can be nominated without having a radio presence.
>>
>is it stupid to talk about the album of the year in january

a little bit, yes
>>
>>61679931
he's nominated this year for the Sue comp track
>>
>>61678784
>>61677263

I was never a fan of Bowie, didn't cared that much when I was young.
But this album surprised when I saw the video, Blackstar. So I started getting hyped and everything.

So the album came out, listened to it, found it pretty amazing and adventurous. Kind of impressed, but didn't really understood what he was talking about and all the symbols.

But then, Sunday night came and one of my friend texted telling me. And then I thought : "Holy shit, .....did he made this album on purpose before dying?"

And then the next I realised, this motherfucker did it.

It's not a posthumous album.

It is a requiem album, made on fucking purpose just before dying. Nobody did this ever before.

And he could have made a couple of cheesy, simple-sounding songs so everybody could buy the album because of the easy marketing(Hey did you heard that guy died just after making this album ? I should buy it that's crazy!). No man, he made one of his most experimental albums ever, trying to push pop boundaries even further, challenging his own audience.....by really not giving a fuck.

That, for me, is an achievement I've never heard before.
It's maybe not the best album I'll ever heard, even this year, but it certainly holds a place somewhere for "honorable mentions" and "Amazing concept". It's truly a once-in-a-lifetime performance.
>>
>>61679191
>Sun Kil Moon
>Tortoise
>literally who?
I mean I don't even agree with the list but man you must be fresh from Reddit if you don't know them
>>
>>61680310

Nobody else has done it before, and I don't believe anyone else could possibly have done it.
>>
>>61679083
Grizzly Bear has been working on the album the past year, posted a pic or two on instagram. plus theres some interview. im HOPING itll be 2016, probably fall/winter

robin pecknold is touring solo with some artist (lana del rey?) and has posted a pic of music equipment (a year or two ago)
>>
>>61680342
agree with what? That at least one of those might be better than Blackstar?
>>
>>61680448
>(lana del rey?)
she may have possibly known abotu bowie and included a clue on her new album. Durign a song she seemingly shoehorns in "ground control to major tom" which I immediately thought was very odd but left it at that.
>>
>>61680310
could not have said it better myself.
>>
>>61678857
pathetic.
>>
>>61677636
But Girl Loves Me is literally the only track that's not amazing
>>
>>61680602
A track sung partly in Nadstad, Gay 70's subculture, and other slang from other cultures?

Plus the fuckin weird guitar beat and chords?

That track is amazing.
>>
>>61680602
thats the best track
>>
>>61678416
>Radiohead ...funny
>Animal Collective ...undisciplined hacks
>Grizzly Bear ...undisciplined hacks
>maybe Arcade Fire ...it'd be a comeback
>maybe Dirty Projectors ...minor but interesting, virtually no chance of aoty
>maybe Fleet Foxes/Robin Pecknold ...pfft
>>
>>61678652
what was high school like in the 1960's?
>>
File: Cologne protests.jpg (46KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
Cologne protests.jpg
46KB, 700x394px
>>61679155
ok, you know more nothing bands than anyone else. please, stop.
>>
>>61682060
whats your january list?
>>
>>61681327
Imma go with this. "Girl Loves Me" is the standout track for me. I suspect that "Malchek" is a reference to Russian slang in "A Clockwork Orange", "Monday" possibly to Guy Montag in Fahrenheit 451, "pig and pug show" maybe a reference to "Animal Farm", and "I'm sittin' in the chestnut tree" is a definite reference to "Nineteen Eighty-Four", which is frequently referenced in his earlier stuff (e.g. "We Are the Dead," "1984," and "Big Brother" on the 1974 album "Diamond Dogs).
>>
>>61682114
Actually, now that I look up the lyrics, the days of the week are used throughout, so we can scratch Fahrenheit (although it would make sense because Guy Montag did go with "the book people" at the end of the book, and no-one is really sure where they went, just "out of the city"), but most of the lyrics are actually in A Clockwork Orange slang (e.g. "viddy viddy" is cinema, etc.). Animal Farm reference may be forced.

But what I really appreciate about the 1984 reference in "I'm sittin' in the chestnut tree / Who the fuck's gonna mess with me?" is the imagery. If you haven't read the novel, Chestnut Tree cafe is where old party loyalists who committed thoughtcrime and were "reformed" (with extensive torture) went to wait for their death. No-one fucked with them. No-one even looked at them in order not to be associated with them. Those guys sat there drinking their gin, played chess and just waited for their inevitable death, most likely in the form of a bullet to the head from the back while walking down a street. So it actually makes sense in the broader context of this album and Bowie's death. He may have felt like those old-timers who are known to everyone, but who no-one fucks with anymore, who are just waiting to go.
>>
I was playing bowie on spotify when I got to mu which was also playing bowie. I had to turrn spotify off because of the nostalgia.

Where were you during the fall of Ziggy Stardust?
>>
this will be the AOTY, you heard it here first
>>
>>61682292
the great thing about bowies music is that he presented it as shallow pop music but if you actually studied it there was a lot of deep shit to sort through
>>
>>61682292
wow
>>
>>61677636
WHERE THE FUCK DID MONDAY GO
>>
>>61682358
I wasn't alive in '72, sadly.
>>
>>61677263
>the whole death concept of it just makes it an absolute masterpiece imo
if it gets those kind of awards I really hope it's for the concept and not just the fact that he died.
>>
>>61682590
That would be a hard distinction to make considering the concept is the fact he died.
>>
>>61678416
FUCK I'M HYPED FOR ANCO. /mu/'s contrarianism be damned.
>it's not contrarianism
lol ok fuccboi
>>
>>61678416
But Kanye tho
>>
Album brought tears to my fucking eyes, absolutely stunned. First listened to it before he died, liked the sound but not the lyrics. Now I get it and it's just unbelievable. I've never had music bring me to tears by its own power, without some sad scene to accompany it. What a fucking legend, just a beautiful, beautiful ending.
>>
>>61682842
I'll chime in here. The fact that he died is not the concept, that's just the fact, that's what happened. The concept of the album is death, the embrace of the inevitability of death, and a re-evaluation of past achievements. He names all the types of starts he thinks he's not (e.g. "I'm not a pop star") and resolves with the black star, a gravitational object composed of matter. As >>61680310 pointed out, this is not a frequent occurrence, in fact it may be a first, of an artist facing his looming death with a musical examination of his life. In a way it's almost confessional - e.g. "By the time I got to New York / I was living like a king / Then I used up all my money / I was looking for your ass". It may have been a clever marketing ploy, as Bowie is known for being a good marketer, but it's genius in its execution, and congruent with his life work. So it's not really only about making a concept album about death (which has been done before, Kno's "Death is Silent" comes to mind), nor only about the artist dying soon after, but about the unmistakeable confluence of these two, the coming together of concept and fact.
>>
>>61677263
Only disadvantage is that people won't remember it's from 2016 by the end of the year
>>
>yfw the percussion on Blackstar kicks in with that In Rainbows style guitar playing and tone

Literally made the album for me right then and there.
>>
>>61678416

>Pecknold

Oh, has he finished getting his degree? I was thinking it's been about four years since the second album.

Though I think he finds Fleet Foxes embarrassing now.
>>
>>61678656
It's funny you say that because I was actually thinking today on my third listen or so that the whole album just seemed like a tryhard attempt at being Scott walker
>>
>>61682060
http://www.stereogum.com/1837097/cross-record-steady-waves/mp3s/
https://crossrecord.bandcamp.com/album/wabi-sabi
releases January 29, 2016
>>
>>61682026
woah you're so cool man.
>>
>>61682044
dude all us kids were into incredible string band and van dyke parks indie folk was the coolest shit evah!
>>
>>61680602
No that'd be Tis A Pity She Was A Whore
>>
>>61683552
Literally the best track on the album
>>
>>61678575
Here's your reply :^)
>>
It's a good album that was being praised before he died.
It is most likely going to be a contender but it's too damn early to say anything with certainty.
At the very least, if he hadn't died, this could have been the start of a new era of god-tier Bowie.
>>
>>61680435
Donuts, anon.
>>
>>61683742
I doubt Bowie could have kicked out a god-tier record like this, if it was not for his impending death. Look at the video of Lazarus, it was his desparate (and succesful) attempt to turn even his death into a glamorous and dramatic act of art
-
This way or no way
You know, I’ll be free
Just like that bluebird
Now ain’t that just like me
>>
It would be stupid to call it AOTY now because we're only on the 12th day.
>>
>>61677263
It is one of the best albums of the decade.
>>
>>61677735
The production values are really bad, it's all around muddy and overly distorted.
>>
>>61678416
>Grizzly Bear
psyched! what's the news?
>>
>>61679931
Vulnicura has a radio presence??!!
>>
>is it stupid to decide upon the album of the year in january

yeah no that's fucking dumb as fuck
>>
>>61684844
THIS
good album though
>>
>>61684844
Surprised nobody else is complaining about that. Bowie's earlier work have always been a benchmark for mixing engineers. Blackstar is demo-quality at its best.
>>
>>61685057
Yeha anyone would think he was suffering with cancer making that last album!
>>
>>61683973
that last part of the video where he sits up a bit in bed and starts singing the last bits, his voice sounded so fucking good and even under the bandages you could tell just how intense his expression was, he sang it like he fuckin meant it, it was beautiful, i fuckin cried after i listened to the whole album
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.