[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I learn theory? I only really know basic stuff. I ordered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: classical-pepe.jpg (14KB, 181x156px) Image search: [Google]
classical-pepe.jpg
14KB, 181x156px
How do I learn theory? I only really know basic stuff.

I ordered the berklee book vol 1 but it doesn't go that deep. Does vol 2 go that much deeper?

And what do I do after that? I play guitar so I'd like to know all the different jazz chords, etc and how they're built, modes, etc. But I don't really do not know where to start.
>>
Just look for the "music theory from the ground up" videos from Fake Dr. Levine on Youtube.
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>61666898
this book is great

http://www.amazon.com/Chords-Progressions-Jazz-Popular-Guitar/dp/0825610567/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
>>
>>61667712
>>61667595

thanks, I'll check em
>>
Theory is unimportant. Work on your ears. It'll take a lifetime to develop good ones.

Test: Find a piano and use all 10 fingers to play a chord. Sing every tone
>>
>>61666898
Especially this one >>61668807
Super fucking important
>>
>>61668807
but how to do that?
>>
>>61666898
is it a modern method for guitar?

i have all 3 volumes and it is decent
>>
>>61669257
no it's separate, it's a pure theory book agnostic to any instrument

I have the leavitt books too
>>
>>61666898
Finish the books.

Check out some of the books in /gg/
>>
>>61666898
I teach in a music college.

Best way to learn theory is:

Step1:learn your scales+arpeggios+cycle of 5ths+key signatures

Step2:Study songs, from pop songs to Bach, try to see whats going on, what chord progressions are used etc.

Step3:Mimic these songs, try to add your own twist to them, even if its merely replacing 1 chord ia progression, its ''your'' contribution

Step4: Theory isnt' the be all and end all, you write good music by constantly writing music. You will be shit for a long time but you'll gradually progress
>>
>>61670987
Same fag:

Modern Method for guitar is an excellent resource but it is limited.
Tbh the guitar itself is limited for learning theory.
Any serious musicians understand on a basic level at least how everything works on a keyboard.

I teach guitar,piano and composition and knowledge of the keyboard is essential to most good music writing.
>>
>>61666898
modes are just major scales starting on a note other than the root:

Ionian: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

Dorian:D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D

Phrygian:E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E

Lydian:F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F

Mixolydian:G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G

Aeolian:A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A

Locrian:B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B

Learn the c major scale and go nuts!!!!
>>
>>61671159
i agree about guitar and music theory

i play keys also and theyre just better in every way for theory

guitar is more expressive of an instrument though i think
>>
don't bother, theory just limits you
>>
>>61666898
Jazz Chords an their strange voicings are just refferring to what degress of a scale are included in a chord.
Heres a few examples:

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C = CMAJOR SCALE

The C Major chord has the Root, 3rd and 5th from the C major scale

C MAJOR CHORD = C-E-G

C Major 7th adds the 7th degree (B)

CMaj7 = C-E-G-B

C9 adds the 9th degree ( There are ony 8 notes in a scale so you just count 9 from the root i.e D)

C9 = C-E-G-D

More complex chords are all built from this simple process
>>
>>61671354
Retard with no discipline detected
>>
>>61671354
How can knowing more be debilitating...
>>
>>61670987
>>61671159
>>61671265
>>61671379

holy shit, /mu/ being actually helpful...
>>
>>61671482
When you have a small brain new information pushes out old
>>
>>61671265
this always confused me though, it's just the same notes. why does it matter where it starts
>>
>>61671908
The sequence of intervals
(distance between notes is different)

When playing in a particular mode you also change the chordal emphasis.

e.g in Ionian mode many Pop songs use the I-IV-V-vi chords (C,F,G,Am)

In the Phrygian mode the i-iv-v-VI chords are (Em,Am,Bdim,Cmajor)

Try playing I-vi-IV-V in C Ionian then i-VI-iv-v E Phrygian

Sound different?
Thats modes
>>
>>61672053
Also, try playing a simple tune to hear the different flavour of each mode (twinkle twinkle little star)

Ionian = C-C-G-G-A-A-G-F-F-E-E-D-D-C

Dorian =D-D-A-A-B-B-A-G-G-F-F-E-E-D

etc.
>>
>>61672053
>In the Phrygian mode the i-iv-v-VI chords are (Em,Am,Bdim,Cmajor)

but why isnt the key of the song just Em then?
>>
>>61672154
>>61672154
Eminor is the aeolian mode of Gmajor

there is no F# in the key of C so E phrygian is similar to, but not quite the same as Eminor
>>
>>61671908
bro, this is the paradox of life

its always the same, but its always different

get it?

feeling zen today
>>
>>61671908
Because saying "modes are just major scales starting on a note other than the root" is a shitty way of teaching.

The important part about modes is recognizing what the notable intervals/notes are. For instance, the Lydian mode is the fourth mode. We see it starts on F and that it varies from the major scale by only one note, a raised fourth degree. This is what gives the mode a certain sound or feel when you play chords from this mode.

I assume you know how to play the basic shape of a major scale. Now go back and play the notes in the C major scale but start on a different root note, progressively moving up the starting point on the neck each time. Then you should be able to see what differences there are between the major scale and the mode you're playing. Mixolydian and Lydian are good ones to start off with.
>>
the complete idiots guide to music theory is great. as good as a couple college courses.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.